|MATR Newsletter - Tue Oct 21, 2014|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Extremists have shown what frightens them most: A girl with a book." 17 year old Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malayla Yousafzai - "The State with the Best Education Wins!"
Big Congratulations to the 5 Montana companies that made the Inc. 500 fastest growing companies list. --- Today at 3:40!: The GIS Colloquium - "Big Data - Little Data - GIS - How Are People Using It All?", 10/21, University Of Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2014 Montana Politics & 2015 Legislature
Early Edge Montana
- Playboy Interview: Former Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer
"A Democrat in a place like Montana is one who can sit down at a table with a bunch of miners and fit in. He buys a hunting license. Fifty percent of Montana residents buy hunting and fishing licenses, so that means--well, you know what that means."
- Local Missoula Democrats to sponsor bill on student debt repayment
"Our economy is sagging under student loan debt, which is preventing graduates from buying cars and homes and just moving out of Mom and Dad's basement," said Malek. "We need to welcome students into our economy."
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
- Strengthening Families, Strengthening Our Economy The economic benefits of pre - Kindergarten
E very dollar invested in quality early childhood education produces a return of seven dollars down the road .
- On the Road: Talking about the economic benefits of pre-K in Montana
By investing in pre-K programs, we know Montana will experience significant short-term and long-term economic returns.
- Poor kids who do everything right don't do better than rich kids who do everything wrong
It's not quite a heads-I-win, tails-you-lose game where rich kids get better educations, yet still get ahead even if they don't--but it's close enough. And if it keeps up, the American Dream will be just that.
- MISSOULIAN EDITORIAL: Politics shouldn't stifle childhood education
The final days of campaign season, by the way, are an excellent time to discuss such matters with prospective legislators.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Cyber hassle: Data breaches cause headaches for Billings area banks and businesses
Billings-area banks and credit unions are sending thousands of new credit and debit cards to customers this month following data breaches at Home Depot and Albertsons.
- Women in Data Science Are Invisible. We Can Change That
How do we make a mark for our ability and not just for the fact that we are female? And how do we make sure that we are called to the stage for the substance of our thinking rather than our gender?
- Big Data - revolutionising sport in unexpected ways
You know analytics is serious in sport when the Massachusetts Institute of Technology shows an interest. Not only does it run a yearly conference on the topic, its boffins are busy figuring out fresh ways to revolutionise sport using Big Data.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 11 10/19/14
Here's the GFDA Top 11 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward!
- TechLink is seeking partners for amazing innovative technologies
TechLink helps the Department of Defense to establish licensing and other technology transfer agreements with US industry.
- TicketPrinting.com, Energy 1, and Foundant Technologies Montana based companies named among fastest growing by Inc. magazine
TicketPrinting.com is a company that allows people to create tickets for events and build webpages to securely sell tickets online. The CEO of the Harlowton-based company, Lance Trebesch, said a New York customer called him not long ago to say he could tell the TicketPrinting.com customer service representatives were "not faking nice," but were genuinely nice.
Three Cups of Tea - The Central Asia Institute
- The Evolution of the Internet of Very Smart Things Will Require a Major Internet Reboot
"a low-cost, private-by-design democracy of devices will emerge that will enable new digital economies and create new value, while offering consumers and enterprises fundamentally better products and user experiences."
- In his words: Marc Andreessen on big data, bitcoin and upending the world of finance
''The hypothesis is that there are many other similar sources of consumer data: credit card bills, social-network behavior, potentially even search history. Lots of people, both in the big Internet companies and at startups, are trying to get at these large pools of data and figure out new ways to do scoring. What they all have in common is that they are all being done outside of banks.
- Today's TED Talk Susan Etlinger: What do we do with all this big data?
...it's hard to move beyond counting things to really understanding them.
- The GIS Colloquium - "Big Data - Little Data - GIS - How Are People Using It All?", 10/21, University Of Montana
The Geography Colloquium is a series of guest presentations, some from outside experts, and some from UM faculty. The event is attended by graduate students and seniors, and other interested persons.
Come Home Montana
- Greg Mortenson returns to Afghanistan, trying to move past his 'Three Cups of Tea' disgrace
In Afghanistan, Mortenson is still "Mr. Greg," the man who can transform a village of illiterate farmers by writing a check.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Associate Director - Montana Facility Finance Authority
Looking for an opportunity to use your finance and marketing skills in a fun and rewarding job, to make a difference to people statewide, gain regional and national exposure, and work with professionals and community leaders throughout the state?
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Board of Pardons and Parole
The Board of Pardons and Parole, as part of the criminal justice process, serves all Montana citizens by administering a flexible system of punishment, which fully protects society.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Senior Mechanical Engineer, Sales Engineer, Director of Advanced Polymeric Materials R&D and Product Development - Resodyn
Resodyn Corporation is a, small, but growing, fast-paced, technology and product development company located in Southwest Montana.
- Montana Career Opportunities - System Administrator, Integrated Marketing Specialist, Business Analyst and more - Town Pump
Town Pump Inc. is a privately held Montana owned and operated business dedicated to providing excellence in customer service and hospitality at a fair and competitive price. We are team oriented and result driven.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Mechanical Engineer/Product Development, Electrical Engineer/Product Development, Mechanical Engineer/Custom Design - Montana Instruments
Montana Instruments is located in beautiful Bozeman, Montana, a vibrant college town within an hour of three great ski hills, several world class fly-fishing rivers, and plenty of opportunity for adventure.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Derivatives Technology Development Manager, Quality Control Chemist, Systems Administrator and more... - REC Silicon
We look for people who are not only experts in their field, but those that want to be part of our future improving operations through excellence in safe and innovative manufacturing and business practices.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Program Director, Community Director - AWARE Inc.
CAREER OPPORTUNITY AWARE Inc. is looking for Team Oriented, Enthusiastic, and Customer Service driven professionals with a positive attitude for the following positions in Billings:
- Montana Career Opportunities - Senior C/C++ Software Engineer, Senior Web/Mobile Developer, Systems Administrator and more - Zoot
"Our clients don't hire us to do what's easy. They can do that themselves. They hire us to do the things that are hard. And sometimes, the things they believe may be impossible." -Chris Nelson, founder and CEO, Zoot Enterprises
- Montana Career Opportunities - Mobile Web Developer, Director of Quality, iOS Developer - CyberCoders
You will be responsible for developing and maintaining our mobile application, currently within an Ionic Cordova environment using AngularJS. You will also be migrating the application to either Android or iOS.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Project Manager 1 - Pace Labs
Serves as the primary liaison between customers and operations through daily coordination of activities including overseeing sample logins, maintaining customer records, and assuring that final reports are sent to the customers.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Chief Marketing Officer, Product Manager - Montana Silversmiths Inc.
As a company dedicated to crafting and manufacturing quality buckles, jewelry and western lifestyle products, Montana Silversmiths http://www.montanasilversmiths.com/ is always looking for career-focused professionals who are knowledgeable and experienced in manufacturing, customer service, sales and marketing.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Vice President of Financial Services - Glendive Medical Center
This senior leadership position reports directly to the CEO and oversees the financial performance and reporting functions of the organization.
- Montana Talent Available - Information Technology Director
Senior enterprise IT director with 15+ years' experience planning, implementing and supporting existing and next-generation enterprise solutions.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Legal Secretary - Dorsey & Whitney
There is a position available for a Legal Secretary in the Public Finance and Corporate Groups in Dorsey's Missoula office.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Whitefish based Glacier Payments ranked 338 in Inc. 5000 fastest growing companies
Specializes in providing customized payment processing services for businesses globally.
- Missoula based Adventure Life among fastest growing companies in the U.S. - Inc. 5000 2014
Adventure Life is a company of travelers with a passion for sharing the world with others.
- VIM & VIGR Compression Socks Introduce New Women's Designs - Innovative brand debuts original sock patterns with same advanced Gradient Pressure knitting technology benefits -
These dynamic and fashionable socks prevent and reduce spider and varicose veins, inhibit swelling and alleviate leg soreness and heaviness.
- Need guidance/consulting/possible contracting on native mobile development
If you can provide this or know of someone who can, please contact me and I'll pass your contact info along.
- TEDxBozeman 2015 Speaker Submissions
In order to be considered as a speaker or performer at the 2015 TEDxBozeman event, please apply by clicking below. Submission will be accepted through November 14, 2014.
Come Home Wyoming
- CNN's Ling documents women seizing oil patch opportunities - TV show on Sunday
On Sunday, her eight-part series for CNN, "This is Life with Lisa Ling," will feature the Oil Patch city in an episode titled "Filthy Rich," in which she explores how "women pioneers" are leveraging their skills to compete for oilfield jobs or to work in the booming food and hospitality industry.
- Arianna Huffington: Burned-out tech workers can't connect to others
"Eighty percent of thinking is unnecessary; it just gets in the way of enjoying your life,"
- 5 signs you are interviewing at a toxic company
The person interviewing you doesn't give you a tour
Next Generation Broadband in Missoula
- Wyoming Career Opportunities - Mechanical Supervisor, Safety Representative - Basin Electric
Basin Electric is people - a workforce of knowledgeable and skilled plant personnel, technicians, engineers, accountants, administrators, assistants and communicators. We are part of a dynamic cooperative enterprise that provides reliable, low-cost energy to rural America.
Come Home North Dakota
- High-Speed Internet Widely Available in Yakima County, Wash., Official Says
About 91.5 percent of the county can now access speeds of 100 megabits per second and up, well above the national average of 60 percent.
- North Dakota Career Opportunities - Vice President and Treasurer, Human Resources Coordinator, Director of Strategic Business Development, Enterprise Database Administrator II, Web Solutions Architect I, and many more - Basin Electric
If you're looking for a career that offers competitive pay, benefits, career growth opportunities and a sense of pride, we invite you to explore our Careers pages. Discover why Basin Electric is a great place to work.
Regional Economic Development
- Has the US economic system failed?
Two new studies show, once again, the magnitude of the inequality problem plaguing the United States.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- State by state report on incentives given in the name of economic development.
At a time when many states are experiencing severe fiscal distress, it is more important than ever to keep tabs on what is happening with the revenues that are coming in.
- 6 Hot Higher Education Technology Trends
Universities across the country are moving towards offering big data and analytics for their research credentials, in order to better recruit the top researchers and academics and to attract more government grants and funding.
- From "Cells and Bells" to Learning Communities
Traditional school buildings fall far short when evaluated against the goals of modern-day teaching and learning in which teachers facilitate, rather than direct, learning and students are personally and actively engaged in their own education.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Janet Yellen on the Broken Way America Pays for Public Schools
"A major reason the United States is different is that we are one of the few advanced nations that funds primary and secondary public education mainly through subnational taxation."
- Seven Ways Business Schools Could Better Teach Communication
Communication skills should receive greater emphasis in business schools.
Montana Education Excellence
- Montana ranks low in after-school program enrollment - The very successful Media Arts in the Public Schools (MAPS) may expand in Montana
The demand for after school programs grew in the last five years from 31 percent to 38 percent of parents saying they would enroll if programs were available in the state, the survey said.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Montana public education under attack, officials say at Missoula conference
"The opponents of public education haven't read our Constitution," said Eric Feaver, president of the Montana Education Association-Montana Federation of Teachers. "Should a bill like these ever pass the Legislature, we'll be in court to discuss that issue."
- Montana Tech named No. 1 in the nation for advancing low-income students
"At Montana Tech, we call this the 'Ordinary to Extraordinary' story," said Donald Blackketter, chancellor at Tech. "We have a long tradition of graduating students who come from ordinary circumstances and, in turn, use their Montana Tech education and personal commitment to make extraordinary contributions to the well-being of the nation and world."
- Montana School districts exploiting privacy to shut out public
If the public doesn't want to get left in the dark - if it wants to know what its officials are doing - it can't stand for privacy excuses and stonewalling county officials. If it wants more transparency, it must consider who it elects and who's writing its laws. The two points go hand in hand.
- Classroom Without Walls thrives in Corvallis, Montana
The Corvallis High School offers an innovative, science-based coarse know as the Classroom Without Walls. The students select their own projects based on issues that are relevant to their community and to their personal lives.
- University of Montana Dining Surpasses 'Real Food' Goal
UM was the first university in the Northwest to sign the Real Food Campus Commitment pledge and is the only university in Montana to have signed it.
- MSU-Northern Receives 3.15 Million for Automotive/Diesel Technology Center
This gift comes from four generous corporate partners: The Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation gave one million dollars, The Burlington Northern Santé Fa Railway Foundation gave one million dollars, G.E. Transportation gave one million in equipment, and Independence Bank gave one hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Funding and Building your Business
- The 10 worst states for women - Montana is #6 - Gov. Bullock leading the program to improve equal pay
Income inequality is only one of the challenges women face.
Energy and Climate Change
- How To Maximize Your Odds With A Part-time Startup
Find a co-founder who can keep you balanced.
- How To Recognize The Greatest Boss You Never Had
Everyone can recognize a great boss a mile away, so why is it so hard to find one?
- More than 60 Percent of B Corps Located in Cities--What's Their Impact?
B Corp performance assessment can be an important tool in helping drive companies to make a difference in inner city communities.
- How Does Google Handle IT for Its Workers? Letting Employees Choose Their Own Technology Is Beneficial, Says CIO Ben Fried
The right thing to do is to help people be as productive as possible, and the way to do that is...to understand the toolset that people who come to work every day know how to use...and want to use.
- Small business advice: How to help your customers answer their own questions
You need to engage potential customers and provide answers to their questions immediately -- not after ten minutes of elevator music.
- How to Use Design as a Competitive Business Advantage
"Storytelling is so much a part of the visualization of any kind of finished product."Cynthia Rowley
- How I Did It: Bre Pettis of MakerBot
The making isn't the hard part; it's having faith.
- Why You Shouldn't Worry About Being Smart
The truth is that intelligence, knowledge, and domain expertise are vastly overrated as the driving forces behind competitive advantage and sustainable success.
Connectivity & Communications
- Austin, Texas, Has a Renewable Energy Plan. The City-Owned Utility Isn't on Board.
Resolution 157, which council members passed in August amid controversy, directed Austin Energy to make sure that 65 percent of the city's energy needs are met with renewable resources in just over a decade. In less than three years, the resolution adds, the utility should strive to completely replace power generation from an old natural gas-fired plant with solar power.
- Stop worrying about mastermind hackers. Start worrying about the IT guy.
The security problem, researchers say, has affected many hundreds of servers running popular Oracle software, exposing a peculiar melange of data to possible collection by hackers.
- In rare move in Wyoming, Converse County puts its books online
Converse County is the first local government in Wyoming to make this much information this accessible, and watchdog groups and local government advocates alike praised the county for its forward thinking.
- New Smart Street Corners That Will Act Like a Fitbit for the City
Imagine if your city could monitor the flow of pedestrians and optimize its traffic signals for walkers, not drivers? That's exactly what Chicago is looking to do.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- What Brad Pitt Does To The Indians On Indian Reserves Is Jaw-Dropping! "Make It Right"
Brad Pitt's foundation - known as "Make It Right" - is partnering with two Native American tribes in Fort Peck, Montana, to build affordable, high-design, super green housing.
- Wristbands let marketers know consumers' real feelings
XOX's technology could enable event organizers to more accurately determine how crowds feel in real time.
- The biometrics revolution is already here -- and you may not be ready for it.
But while these technologies are already influencing consumers' lives, it's not clear that everyone understands the long-term implications of widespread biometric use, experts say.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page