|MATR Newsletter - Tue Sep 30, 2014|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
After I finish my coffee, I like to show the empty mug to an IT pro and tell her I've successfully installed Java. She hates me.
Montana Nonprofit Association Annual Conference, 10/1-3, Helena http://www.matr.net/ev ... =5187
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
- Manufacturing Day Coming To Kalispell, 10/3
Manufacturing Day will allow the public to see exactly what goes on and also get a look at possible job opportunities. Several of the businesses are among the largest employers in the valley.
Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Big Data: The Eye-Opening Facts Everyone Should Know
Every 2 days we create as much information as we did from the beginning of time until 2003
- Montana Technology Innovation Partnership Sept 2014 Newsletter
Sept 30th - MTIP, Blackstone Launchpad and Headwaters RC&D host Entrepreneurial Outreach event in Dillon, MT. Two venues
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Montana gas lines better than aging eastern system
Over the last three years, NorthWestern has spent about $18 million to improve the safety along its gas-line distribution system.
Arrow Solutions Group
- Wild country in south-central Montana still lures explorers
As I watched Oliveri and Bletsch lead the train of mules across an open meadow, I knew a part of my answer was with them.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Montana Career Opportunities - Lead Mobile/.Net Engineer, Software Tester, Mobile App Tester, Application Support Representative, and many more - Arrow Solutions Group
Arrow Solutions Group (ASG) connects IT professionals and engineers with companies in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North & South Dakota.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 15 9/21/14
Spread the word to entrepreneurs and would-be entrepreneurs to participate in one of our Start-Up Spark! sessions coming up on Friday, September 26th, Monday, September 29th and Tuesday, October 14th.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 22 for 9/28/14
Untame your entrepreneurial spirit!
- Montana State University's TechLink plays important role in combating Ebola outbreak
Will Swearingen, TechLink's executive director, credits the work of Halfpap in helping to broker the deal with Mapp Biopharmaceutical.
Come Home Montana
- Little Data: The 25 KPIs Everyone Must Understand
How likely are your staff to recommend you as a company to work for?
- Big Data Cuts Buildings' Energy Use
"It makes us more efficient, because we know what to look for."
- Montana Career Opportunity - Controller - Montana Community Development Corporation
This position is responsible for overall financial activities at Montana CDC and its subsidiary corporations.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Planner - Land Solutions
Land Solutions, LLC, a growing land use planning and community development consulting firm, seeks a planner to be a part of our team serving state and local governments and private sector clients.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Information Analyst, Damage Prevention Coordinator, Operations Technician and more - Northwestern Energy
NorthWestern Energy is committed to providing excellent service for our customers. In order to attract the best employees, we offer an attractive salary based on qualifications, a performance-based incentive program, and competitive benefits. We encourage employees to find opportunities to use their leadership skills to contribute to and strengthen the organization.
- Yaak yurt builders move company to Missoula to network - Grand Opening Party Saturday 9/27
"We think Missoula is a good fit. It's not that there are necessarily that many more potential yurt customers in Missoula, but everyone here knows everybody. You talk to someone and they might know a river guide in Arizona that could use a yurt. It's all about networking here."
- Meet MSUB hall of fame business class
This inaugural class features two tech moguls ahead of their time, an investment banker with a heart for employees, a construction worker who started small but dreamed big, and a towering philanthropist in the Billings community.
- Learn How to Memorize a Speech Successfully
Whether using in politics or business presentations, these tips should help speakers deliver great speeches.
- Fix Your Resume by Cutting the Part About How Passionate You Are
"I may not have a lot of experience, but I'm a fast learner. I have so much passion to bring to a company," this woman told me. I believed her but wasn't surprised she couldn't find a job.
- Quality of Life Driving 'Brain Gain' in Rural Communities
What is influencing brain gain?
- The Secret Goldman Sachs Tapes - The Ray Rice video for the financial sector has arrived.
"once clients are wealthy enough certain consumer laws don't apply to them."
- Business licenses may be in the future for Great Falls, Montana
The hope is to simplify the process and also allow the city better tracking tools of the businesses operating in the city limits.
- Diverging Fortunes in Portland
People move to Portland primarily for lifestyle and leisure, not career or economic reasons. People move to Portland because they want to live there.
Regional Economic Development
- Petraeus compares Bakken oil patch to 'war zone'
The rapid growth of North Dakota's oil patch communities has so overwhelmed the infrastructure that the former commander of coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan compared the area to a battle field, a state legislator said Thursday.
- How Cities Can Transform into Hubs of Innovation
If cities want to transform themselves into hubs of innovation, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson believes they must embrace technology to help propel local economies.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- $15MM in Montana job-training support stems from Tester-backed legislation
"These resources will help our top-ranked schools train Montanans to improve our health care system and make our state an even healthier place to live and work. I'm proud to help bring folks together to move our state forward."
- Standing Desks Are Coming To Schools, To Cure Obesity And Increase Attention Spans
First they infiltrated our offices, and now they're coming for our kids.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Why You'd Be Insane To Skip College For Startup Dreams... Take that, Peter Thiel.
There's no question that education pays. College graduates across the economy can expect to make significantly more than their diploma-less peers. As the economy becomes more competitive and more people sport degrees, this will only increase:
- Missoula Business Drive Supports UM Excellence Fund
Donors to the Missoula Business Drive have impacted thousands of students over the years and contributions of any size make a big difference.
Funding and Building your Business
- NINE New grant announcements
- New website connects volunteers with Missoula organizations
Volunteer Missoula will have its home online at http://www.volunteermissoula.org.
Energy and Climate Change
- Entrepreneur Vs. Small Business Owner, Defined
Embarking on an entrepreneurial career path for "Being Your Own Boss" is exciting - just make sure to do your homework about yourself, the offering as well as other external factors.
- Entrepreneurs Need To Reality Check Their Ideas
After all, most great breakthroughs, like a computer in every home, seemed like a crazy idea before Steve Jobs and Bill Gates made it happen. Now we soon expect a computer on every wrist.
- Smart Entrepreneurs Learn The Most From Their Team
Recognize that rhetorical questions seek to make a point or make people do something, not come up with a real answer.
- Career Coach: How to make business more attractive to women
Every person who works is employed by some type of business. If women were able to lead more of those businesses, think of the greater impact they could have on our society.
- You Should Run Your Startup Like a Cult. Here's How
The biggest difference is that cults tend to be fanatically wrong about something important. People at a successful startup are fanatically right about something those outside it have missed.
- New Grim Population Projection: 11 Billion People
New study overturns 20 years of consensus on peak projection of 9bn and gradual decline
- How to Cut Residential Energy Use
One fairly modest new technique has proved remarkably effective: telling consumers how their energy use compares with that of their neighbors.
- FutureStructure Radio: The Soft Infrastructure of Smart Cities - It's all about data and connectivity.
A smarter city is one that's connected and working with real time data.
- Smart and networked street lighting could reduce energy use
Governments and councils can establish an open, standards-based IP network linking various infrastructure, from energy to public lighting to traffic light systems to disaster sensors.
- Donations to the Elkhorn Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation chapter hit $1 million mark
Although hitting the $1 million milestone is impressive, more than $19 million has been spent in the area on habitat and education programs.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Human Hamster Wheel Could Be the Ultimate Standing Desk
They also think that the wheel would work well with a generator. A user could produce electricity while "wheeling," just like bikes and other workout equipment does today.
- Why the Heyday of Credit Card Fraud Is Almost Over
The solution has been available for years: Put logic in the card.
- TED Talk Pitches a Shift in Street Design
Mikael Colville-Andersen discusses the benefits and methods of designing bicycle infrastructure within a city in a TEDxZurich talk.
- iPhone manufacturer Foxconn to sell $15K electric car
Its goal is to curtail rampant air pollution and decrease oil imports.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page