|MATR Newsletter - Tue Sep 9, 2014|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"A good leader inspires others with confidence; a great leader inspires them with confidence in themselves" Anon
The Storied Past, The Troubled Future: The Imperative Of Wilderness At 50 Years Fall 2014 Mansfield Conference, 9/10-12 http://www.matr.net/ev ... =5154
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Free onXmaps HUNT App Offered to RMEF Membership
"RMEF achieves this through improving and conserving lands most important to wildlife, while onXmaps gives its map users the best information for finding and navigating the right hunting and recreational lands."
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
- National Geographic showcases "Where the Locals Go" in Montana
"National Geographic found some of our best attractions to showcase."
- Business After Hours Hosted By Blackfoot Telecommunications, 9/9, Missoula, Montana
Join us to celebrate Blackfoot's 60th Anniversary and network with fellow Missoula business leaders!
Come Home Montana
- States Collaborate to Keep Track of Students
"We're all looking to educate and retain people in our states so that they can help the economy thrive," said Peace Bransberger, a senior research analyst at WICHE. "You can only speculate until you have some information about students who have gone beyond your borders after you've educated them."
Hellgate Venture Network
- Montana Career Opportunity - VB Developer Arrow Solutions Group
Arrow Solutions Group is seeking a VB Developer for a 3+ month contract on a web-based application tool to fix bugs, update workflows, and standardize templates and style sheets.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Recruiting Director - PayneWest Insurance
We are looking for an individual to develop recruiting strategies, generate a pool of qualified candidates and partner with managers to secure top talent.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Chief Operating Officer - Human Resource Council District XII
The position requires a mission-focused, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Senior Vice President Chief Lending Officer - American Federal Savings Bank
The Chief Lending Officer will manage the Commercial lending activities of the Bank's markets, providing direction to the Market Presidents in each region.
- Free Online Course - "What's Your Big Idea?"
Experts offer insight into the world's biggest problems in "reverse pitches" and challenge learners to solve them. Partners from Y Combinator and Feedback Labs, among others, will provide hands on advice and resources for the most promising ideas both during the MOOC and after.
- Hellgate Venture Network - Apptail - Mobile Apps For Mid-size And Small Retailers- 9/18 - Missoula, Montana
Our next meeting will feature Nate Sann, co-founder of Apptail (http://www.apptail.com) an innovative, Missoula based provider of mobile apps for mid-size and small retailers.
Startup Weekend in Montana Communities
- Bicycle Tourism is an Economic Boon for Montana
"It's definitely an economic boon," the article reads. "Multiday bicyclists take longer to get anywhere, thereby showering the communities they stop in with outside dollars."
- Shane Cavaliere - Quality Website Design and Development
I have experience with a wide array of web projects, ranging from simple one-page layouts, to large, dynamic web applications.
- Fletcher & Company marketing consultancy that specializes in strategy, analysis, research and planning launches in Bozeman, Montana
Fletcher & Company's focus will be in helping client companies: 1) solve tough marketing and business development problems, 2) make important decisions, and 3) grow their businesses.
- Harris Manufacturing set to bring more jobs to Bonner, Montana, and possibly megaloads
"We added this facility to extend our geographic reach the midwest to the west, to the east and also to Central Canada,"
- Sequoia Venture Capital Partner Michael Goguen to Deliver Keynote Address at Glacier Startup Weekend 9/19-21
The Glacier Startup Weekend will gather more than 120 participants to pitch ideas, form teams and launch startup businesses in just 54 hours.
Come Home Idaho
- Which Internships Really Pay Off? LinkedIn Pulled the Data.
The company's data science team pulled information from the site's 300 million members to determine which industries offer the best internships -- and by "the best" we mean those internships that actually lead to paying, full-time jobs at the end of the semester.
- It's time to remove the invisibility cloak from women in technology
We have a tremendous opportunity to help change the narrative and our actions -- all of us, women and men working alongside one another, have an important role to play here.
City Club Missoula
- Idaho Career Opportunity - Senior Database Administrator - Arrow Solutions Group
Candidates must have extensive experience working with Oracle and SQL Server databases.
- City Club Missoula - Suicide preventable, but stigma remain, Missoula speaker says
Here in the West, the "cowboy mentality" means people try to take care of depression on their own.
- Stop and seize - Aggressive police take hundreds of millions of dollars from motorists not charged with crimes
Thousands of people have been forced to fight legal battles that can last more than a year to get their money back.
- They fought the law. Who won? Many drivers faced a long ordeal in court to try to get their money back from police
Their experiences, gleaned from legal papers and interviews, contain striking similarities that underscore questions about police power in an era when security has often trumped the rights of individuals.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Nevada's $1.2 Billion Investment in Tesla Predicted to Have $100 Billion Impact
"Tesla won't have to pay sales tax for 20 years. The company also won't have to pay real property, personal property and modified business taxes for 10 years." Plus, Baker reminds us that "the state has no corporate income tax - an obvious draw."
- Four Ways to Spot a Great Teacher
- Treating Infants for Autism May Eliminate Symptoms
It's one of the most hopeful signs yet that if you diagnose autism very early, you can help children rewire their brains and reverse the symptoms.
- With Help From Bill Gates, 'Big History' to Reach 15,000 Students
Big History is an audacious, multidisciplinary approach to teaching the history of the universe in a single course, beginning with the Big Bang.
- Universities forge ahead with 3-D printing
"Chances are, if you can think it, you can print it."
Funding and Building your Business
- Billings looks to Reno for ideas to address homeless, transient issues
Billings has about 50 separate providers working on homeless and transient issues
- TWELVE New grant announcements
- Missoula University District Neighborhood Ice Cream Social, 9/14
The event was started in 2002 by an informal group that calls itself the Thoughtful Neighbors to celebrate the diversity that UM students bring to Missoula.
Energy and Climate Change
- Management intuition for the next 50 years
In the years ahead, acceleration in the scope, scale, and economic impact of technology will usher in a new age of artificial intelligence, consumer gadgetry, instant communication, and boundless information while shaking up business in unimaginable ways.
- The Founder Of A $600 Million Startup Has Advice For People Thinking Of Dropping Out Of School To Start A Company
There's something to be said for working at a big, successful company first."
Connectivity & Communications
- Project in works in Toole County: $85M experiment will help determine whether C02 can be economically, safely stored underground
The eight-year, $85 million project will help determine whether underground geologic formations can be used to safely and economically store carbon dioxide.
- Utilities: Partner with companies like Bloom or watch them take your top customers
Bloom allows customers to buy power as a service rather than buying and installing the equipment themselves. And it has a leasing program in partnership with Bank of America.
- Two Cities With Blazing Internet Speed Search for a Killer App
After a few million in waived permit fees and granting Google free access to public land, the area is finding out that Google Fiber is so fast, it's hard to know what to do with it.
- The Master Switch: The Rise and Fall of Information Empires
How a battle royale for Internet's future is brewing, and this is one war we dare not tune out
- 10 Need-to-Know Lessons for Government Innovation Teams
It's unanimous. Every city wants to be innovative. But the word's ambiguity leaves it open to many interpretations, incantations and applications.
- Building a Framework for Chicago's Data Ecosystem
Civic data innovation efforts--that is, efforts that expand the use of data to improve people's lives--are becoming increasingly common in cities across the country. Yet these efforts are often happening piecemeal, and too often operate as isolated parts rather than an interconnected whole.
- The Father of Net Neutrality Is Running for Office--And He Could Win
Tim Wu believes New York's lieutenant governor could be a new kind of public advocate, someone who illuminates problems facing the state. Here are two of his favorites: Corruption and, none-too-surprisingly, the planned merger of Time Warner and Comcast, which could significantly affect the future of net neutrality.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- How the West Won--Nature and Cities, Side by Side
A wounded piece of land can be made whole, if managed for the future by people whose capacity for wonder is limitless.
- As Software and Hardware Advance Together, the Next Innovation Wave Rises
'software and the physical have finally teamed up,'
- Salt Water Powered Car Gets European Approval
- In two years, GM aims to offer car that will almost drive itself
GM CEO Mary Barra says the system would allow you to drive long distances with the car doing much of the work.
- Detroit area will test 'smart' freeways, talking cars
"It makes perfect sense that we ought to make southeastern Michigan the nucleus of" autonomous vehicle technology"
- California charges ahead with electric vehicles
California has sold more than 100,000 plug-in vehicles in less than four years, a major milestone that cements the Golden State as the global leader of plug-in hybrid and electric cars.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page