|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 25, 2014|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Guard, protect and cherish your land, for there is no afterlife for a place that started out as Heaven.” — Charles M. Russell --- "Crown of the Continent: The Wildest Rockies" - Images of the Spledor of the Continental Divide from Missoula, Montana to Banff, Alberta -- http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montanans Rally For Climate Solutions This Saturday, 4/26, 13 Cities Throughout Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Big Data Week - May 5-11-14 - 30+ Cities Worldwide Including Missoula
Montana Department of Commerce
- How Attorneys Get Hacked (And What You Can Do About It)
Think you're too small to be hacked? Think again.
- Big Data Presentation And Discussion -"Geospatial Big Data", 4/28, Missoula, Montana
Diep Dao is going to talk about "Geospatial big data: Analyzing daily travel patterns and mining crime associations as examples".
- The Dumb Way We Board Airplanes Remains Impervious to Good Data
From a data-driven perspective, this is nothing short of maddening.
- Missoula Spotlighted During International Big Data Week Event series aims to raise profile of city's burgeoning tech sector
What do Atlanta, Berlin, Chicago, New York and Zurich have in common with Missoula? All are global cities focusing on Big Data the week of May 5 - 11.
Parsec Data Management
- Montana Office of Tourism April 2014 Newsletter
Public Invited to Participate in Strategic Planning Process
TEDx Events in Montana
- TecNet Networking Event, 5/8, Billings, Montana
TecNet is a networking group for people who work in the technology field in the Billings, MT area.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Today's TED Talk - James Patten: The best computer interface? Maybe ... your hands
James Patten imagines new ways for us to play with computers.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 21 great things happening to move Great Falls Forward for the Week of 4-21-14
PLEASE Get Out The Vote in Support of the Great Falls Schools Levy! We need to attract great employees to move to Great Falls. We can't do that without great schools.
Come Home Montana
- How data analysis can help your charity to enhance its fundraising results
"Everyone has to develop a strategy. This needs to be underpinned by facts not conjecture."
- Does data contain the answers to student success?
The primary barriers to understanding more about what makes students successful and what makes them fail is our inability to accept anything other than the status quo.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Director of Patient Care Services - Clark Fork Valley Hospital
The individual serves as a member of the Senior Management Team and supervises multiple department managers.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Senior Business Systems Analyst, Technical /Scientific Writer/Editor, IT Engineering Technician - Arrow Solutions Group
As the top technical talent resource for the Northern Rockies and Northern Plains, we understand who will work best for you, both for the short term and the long term.
- S&K Electronics lands $1.8M deal with military contractor
A Pablo electronics manufacturing company, S&K Electronics, signed a $1.8 million contract with New Hampshire military contractor BAE Systems on Tuesday.
- Northern Rockies Health Care Innovation Summit - June 9-10, 2014, Anaconda, Montana
The Northern Rockies Health Care Innovation Summit is a must-attend event bringing together thought leaders, change makers, and participants from all sectors of healthcare, technology and innovation.
- Old World Cabinetry and Carpentry Craftsmanship At It's Best Available in Missoula, Montana - Paperstreet Woodworks
We believe that construction -- particularly remodeling -- is a journey best made with an experienced guide.
- Modern Montana stockmen - Ranchers look to new partners to continue an old tradition
"I hate seeing deer and elk torn up on fences," says Joshua Lisbon, the MPG Ranch education and community outreach manager. "It's awesome to have some people on the other side of the fence who care about wildlife. It's exciting to have a good neighbor who shares an interest in conservation."
Come Home Idaho
- Car Wash Offers Employment to Autistic Young Adults
Why not build a business with the prime objective of employing people with autism, he reasoned -- not a charity or a "sheltered workshop" -- but a business with the potential to keep growing.
- When Your Dream Job Disappoints, How to Find Plan B
After years of planning, preparing and perhaps paying for an extra degree, you finally land your dream job--and discover you don't like it. It's a surprisingly common dilemma.
- Idaho Career Opportunities - Software Engineers - Declara
The company, founded in 2012, builds a technology platform that uses machine learning, search, algorithms and recommendations to develop specific learning paths for individuals, making learning a constant discovery.
- Engen budget proposal increases Missoula taxes 3.92 percent
Free bus rides on Mountain Line are near the top of Mayor John Engen's budget priority list of items the city should fund in the future.
Montana Education Excellence
- Hijacking Land- Grant Universities
Are land-grant universities and other public universities helping American families, as they were intended? Increasingly, the answer is no.
- Colleges, Employers Rethink Internship Policies
The rules have changed for summer interns.
- Lawmakers pressure universities with threat to pull funds
State lawmakers around the country are brandishing their budget pens to penalize public colleges and universities for what they teach, what their professors say and which organizations the schools work with.
- 5 Bold Predictions For The Future Of Higher Education - What, where, and how will we learn?
#1 - Current models--reliant upon departmental space where curriculum is developed and fostered independent of the university at large--must change.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Receive a World-Class Education in the heart of the west.
You can choose from 174 academic programs to fit your interests and passions. Get creative and build the right education for you.
- MSU's Peaks and Potentials youth camp for students entering grades 5-7 next fall open for registration
Peaks and Potentials is designed to give high-ability/high-potential students entering grades 5-7 next fall the opportunity to explore special topics of interest and work with experts in various subject areas.
- Interview on Montana State's Online Engineering Management Master's Degree
The program started due to the frustration of local industry, including donor Scientific Materials CEO Ralph Hutcheson. "Employees found that our graduates have great base knowledge, but as they move up the ladder they don't have the foundational background to think with the different mindset of leadership and management."
- University of Montana Western reports significant increase in enrollment
Montana Western is the only four-year public university in the U.S. offering Experience One, a block scheduling program, where a student takes one class at a time, for three hours a day, for about three weeks before moving onto the next course.
- Paid Off ... Montana State University can't refuse huge gift
I don't think you get wealthy enough to give away $50 million and not know what the money you spread around is used for.
- U.S. News names top-ranked Montana high schools - Is your local school listed?
Here are the top-ranked high schools in Montana
- Highlands College forges alliances to help launch new aerospace welder program
Expecting increased demand for welders when SeaCast begins building new jet engine parts for joint venture partner GE Aviation within the year, SeaCast, located west of Butte, will donate at least $35,000 for new equipment and infrastructure upgrades to Highlands' welding shop.
Funding and Building your Business
- Strengthening the Bond between People and Placemaking
The paper, Places in the Making, casts aside the idea of the monolithic expert, and argues clearly and cohesively for the importance of Placemaking as a vital part of community-building, rather than a fuzzy "extra."
Energy and Climate Change
- SBA Announces Grants Available for State Trade and Export Promotion
The STEP initiative has two objectives: 1) increase the number of small businesses that begin to export and 2) increase the value of exports for small businesses that currently export.
- More brains don't always lead to better decisions
The findings present a significant caveat to what is known about collective intelligence, or the "wisdom of crowds," wherein individual observations--even if imperfect--coalesce into a single, accurate group decision.
- Three ways to increase your startup's chances of getting acquired by GE Healthcare
Cultural fit, bundling potential and a focus on work force optimization.
- 10 Key Traits Of An Ideal Entrepreneur Partner
In all cases, the challenge is the same, of finding people that you can work with and enjoy in the business relationship.
Connectivity & Communications
- Earth Week climate rallies planned in 13 Montana cities this Saturday April 26.
"The common thread for these events is that the majority of Montanans support positive and proactive solutions that will reduce carbon," said Montana Environmental Information Center attorney Derf Johnson. "These events are designed to show that support to our elected officials."
- These Satellite Gadgets Will Save Your Butt in the Backcountry
You can almost always chat with the folks back home, even if you're in the middle of the ocean, wandering through the desert, or trekking deep into the polar regions.
- FCC proposes allowing streamers to strike ISP deals
"The FCC is inviting ISPs to pick winners and losers online," said Michael Weinberg, vice president of technology advocacy group Public Knowledge. "The very essence of a 'commercial reasonableness' standard is discrimination. And the core of net neutrality is non-discrimination. This is not net neutrality."
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Sustainable Farming is Hip. Annie Heuscher with AERO and CFAC
Eph & Jeff interview Annie Heuscher, the board chair of AERO (Alternative Energy Resources Organization), and CFAC (community food and agriculture coalition), both of which look at improving local sustainable agriculture.
- 100 Good Deeds - How many have you done this week?
The rules of the game: A "good deed" means we've gone out of our way to help someone and only counts if the deed remains anonymous.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- "Crown of the Continent: The Wildest Rockies" - Images of the Spledor of the Continental Divide from Missoula, Montana to Banff, Alberta
"Guard, protect and cherish your land, for there is no afterlife for a place that started out as Heaven." -- Charles M. Russell
- Sign up now for Artrepreneur program - Deadline is approaching
The MAP workshops hold an opportunity for artists working in any medium to learn about building a sustainable business in art.
HACKING AND VIRUS ALERTS
- Google, Facebook and other tech companies race to develop artificial intelligence
A number of tech giants and startups are trying to build computer systems that understand what you want, perhaps before you knew you wanted it.
- Montana Department of Revenue Warns of Email Scam
This is another reason people should keep virus shield software active and updated on all electronic devices.
- Transit Agencies Turn to Alternative Fuels
Both environmental and budget concerns are prompting American municipal transportation agencies to turn away from diesel.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page