|MATR Newsletter - Fri Feb 21, 2014|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark (Samuel Clemens) Twain 1835-1910
University of Montana Ranked One of 100 Best U.S. Colleges and Universities http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Big Data Lecture Series "Big Data In Electoral Politics And Beyond", 2/24, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4910 --- TecNet February Event, 2/27, Billings, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4906
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- U. of Maryland data breach affects 300,000
"I am truly sorry," Loh said in the letter that was posted Wednesday on the university's website. "Computer and data security are a very high priority of our University."
TEDx Events in Montana
- Technology Innovation Partnership - SBIR/STTR ALERT
Please find below SBIR/STTR news and recently opened research funding opportunities.
- Today's TED Talk Molly Stevens: A new way to grow bone
Molly Stevens introduces a new stem cell application that harnesses bone's innate ability to regenerate and produces vast quantities of bone tissue painlessly.
- Today's TED Talk Roselinde Torres: What it takes to be a great leader
The three simple but crucial questions would-be company chiefs need to ask to thrive in the future.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- May I Have Your AtTENTion Please
These three-dimensional marketing pieces are highly effective and a great way to grab your prospects attention!
Arrow Solutions Group
- Montana Snow Irresistible? Epic Ski Conditions Draw Warren Miller Entertainment Back to Montana
"Montana has some of the best skiing and snowboarding conditions in the country right now," said Montana Department of Commerce Director Meg O'Leary. "We've got great snow, premiere resorts, and offer an all-around amazing and unique winter experience. We're glad to see the Warren Miller crew back in Montana."
- Montana Office of Tourism, Department of Commerce | Official Tourism Industry News - February Update
The Montana Office of Tourism (MTOT) is helping travelers "Step out of bounds" this summer and "Go deeper" in the winter to experience their own Montana moment with the 2014-2015 Official Guidebook, now available for travelers wanting more information
Great Falls Development Authority
- Arrow Solutions - Career Opportunity - IT Security Manager - Missoula, MT
This person will be responsible for overseeing the operations of the enterprise's security solutions and establishing an enterprise security stance through policy, architecture and training processes.
- GFDA Top 13 2/13/14
Please get your available properties listed with a local broker and up on Loopnet or CoStar and let us know about them so we can help spread the word.
- GFDA Top 11 2-16-14
Untame your entrepreneurial spirit!
Come Home Montana
- TicketPrinting.com - What Our Customers Say
Here is just a sample of the many comments we have received over the years.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Director - Helena Regional Airport
The director manages the staff and facilities of the Helena Montana Regional Airport.
- Applications are now open for the Leadership Montana Class of 2015!
The Class of 2015 will be the eleventh Leadership Montana class, and will join an alumni organization of over 400 graduates from 50 different Montana communities.
Montana Economic Development
- Butte, Montana based Headframe Spirits distillery owners John and Courtney McKee named Montana's top entrepreneurs
"John and I founded Headframe Spirits to add value to our community, and we're very thrilled with the successes we've had to date," Courtney McKee said. "We've created one job for each month we've been open, which is a statistic we're incredibly proud of. We've got even more in store for our company and for our community. We're honored to do what we love right here in Butte, America."
Startup Weekend in Montana Communities
- Investing in Manufacturing Communities Partnerships (IMCP) Phase II - Information on industrial parks requested
We'd appreciate it if designated Montana industrial parks could send us information on their parks.
- Governor Bullock Announces Montana Ambassador Awards
"The Montana Ambassadors work every day to support Main Street Montana businesses, and attract new entrepreneurs to the state," Bullock said. "Through innovation, entrepreneurship, advocacy and outreach, the Ambassadors we're recognizing this year have gone above and beyond to support Montana's economy."
- Start-Up America: Our Best Hope - Startup Weekend Missoula - No Talk, All Action, 3/7-3/9, Missoula
Start-up America is our best hope. Sure, we're doing better than most everyone else, but just being the "cleanest dirty shirt" has never been the American dream.
- Montana Senator Jon Tester says education, jobs crucial for tribes
The new chairman of the U.S. Senate Indian Affairs Committee said Wednesday he plans to use the post to target wasteful spending, improve educational opportunities for Native Americans and promote job development on reservations.
Incubators and R&D
- Two film artists want to make Boise a post-production paradise
It could be the key to developing the state's movie industry
- Technique developed by Stanford scientists could lead to new treatments for pain
The mice in Scott Delp's lab, unlike their human counterparts, can get pain relief from the glow of a yellow light.
- Plan to split California six ways is closer to vote
Not only would California voters have to approve the initiative, so would Congress.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Setting Up Autistic Employees to Succeed
Experts say there is no "ideal" work setting for autistic employees, but HR can help create an environment that enables autistic workers to thrive.
- World Science U Online Is About To Launch and It's Free
Brian Greene, Columbia University Professor, is teaching our first two courses, on the wonders of Einstein's Special Relativity. They're free. And more are coming. On a wide range of subjects.
- Bozeman High students learn Joy and Beauty of Computing
Putting joy and beauty in the name of the class is a deliberate effort to entice students who aren't computer geeks to a field with good career possibilities and where the state of Montana and the nation need talented people.
Montana Education Excellence
- A Businessman Leads a University With Incentives in Mind
Higher education could be entrepreneurial, innovative, open to change, and better at conveying the value of its "product" to students and parents.
- New Montana State University research chief Renee Reijo Pera outlines brighter future
With a laugh, she quoted a Lennon lyric: "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
- MSU's Mountains and Minds magazine wins top award at regional university competition
Communications produced by Montana State University received awards at a recent regional contest for all universities, colleges and secondary schools in the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada, including the award for the most outstanding entry for MSU's magazine, "Mountains and Minds."
- University of Montana Ranked One of 100 Best U.S. Colleges and Universities
UM's ranking recognizes its size, location, academic offerings, extracurricular activities and its extensive study abroad opportunities.
Funding and Building your Business
- The damage done in a Montana community
A Montana community braces for the next oil boom while still dealing with the devastating effects of the last one.
Connectivity & Communications
- The World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Advertising
These companies illustrate what the future of the business looks like.
- The Pitfall That Dooms Fast-Growing Companies
Can BDC be avoided?
- Google Asks for Local Help as It Broadens Fiber Rollout
"The primary lesson that we've learned is that consumers want faster Internet. The other thing that we knew before, and we're acknowledging now, is that building a telecom network from the ground up across the entire city is a really big job." Kevin Lo, general manager of Google Fiber
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Survey for the upcoming redesign project for the Missoula County website
We would like to ask that you send the following survey link to any email groups/lists that you think will have particular interest and input regarding the website's redesign.
- Supersonic Jet Ditches Windows for Massive Live-Streaming Screens
The concept of replacing windows with camera outside to screen inside is a big move and will be a major element of our future. Every element has been perfected and now we will see the applications.
- Steve Perlman's Amazing Wireless Machine Is Finally Here
The technology would do away with wireless network congestion by giving each smartphone and tablet its own super-fast connection instead of asking these devices to share bandwidth pumped out by a cell tower.
- Stem cells programmed to grow cartilage inside body
While this study focuses on cartilage regeneration, Guilak and Gersbach say that the technique could be applied to many kinds of tissues, especially orthopedic tissues such as tendons, ligaments and bones.
- Ray Kurzweil: Technology and the New, Improved You
Ray Kurzweil says technology will make us smarter, healthier and more productive
- Using snow to design safer streets
Massive snowfalls like the one that hit the US east coast this week usually spell trouble for traffic. But critics of America's car-centric transport network are using the snow - and Twitter - to demonstrate how roads should be redesigned to make them safer for pedestrians.
- The Best Complete Streets Policies of 2013
Communities across the country are making roads safer and more accessible for everyone who uses them--and these changes are happening on a larger scale than ever before.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page