|MATR Newsletter - Fri Nov 8, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." -Arthur Schopenhauer
New Montana Filmmakers And Media Artists Meetup (Missoula + Online), 11/11, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4818 --- Montana Career Opportunity - Program Director of the LaunchPad, Research and Creative Scholarship - University of Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- W. JAMES MCNERNEY, JR. Chairman, President And Chief Executive Officer The Boeing Company, 11/13, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2014 Montana Politics
Montana Department of Commerce
- Gender Equity in Montana Legislature - Proposed Constitutional Amendment for the 2014 Ballot
"Let's be the first state in the nation to set quotas by gender. We'll catch the attention of the nation. It will benefit the state economically, socially and culturally in the future."
Montana Economic Development Summit - 9-16/17, Butte, Montana
- The Montana Census & Economic Information Center
The Census and Economic Information Center provides current, easily accessible and thorough economic and demographic analysis, maps, data, and expert assistance to meet the needs and requests of Montanans.
- Export Montana - Montana Department of Commerce
The Montana Department of Commerce, through the Office of Trade & International Relations, is committed to helping Montana companies pursue commercial opportunities abroad.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Why the fear of failure hasn't stopped Elon Musk
"Fear is finite, hope is infinite. We are afraid of failing, but it doesn't stop us from trying."
Next Generation Broadband in Missoula
- Dorsey & Whitney - Labor & Employment 2013 End Of The Year Conference, 12/3, Missoula, Montana
This includes panel discussions related to updates on a variety of issues, including recent decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court, new regulations, and updates on developments affecting the workplace and more. The sessions will focus on practical advice and guidance in assisting with compliance.
- Legal Tips Every Entrepreneur Should Know Three-part Series -Jeremy Brown, Attorney, Dorsey & Whitney, 11/12, Missoula
Starting, Financing, Growing and Selling Your Company
Arrow Solutions Group
- Los Angeles wants a citywide gigabit fiber network
Google Fiber is helping make cities like Kansas City and Provo attractive places for tech entrepreneurs. Now Los Angeles wants to bolster its image as a tech-friendly city by building a gigabit fiber broadband network
Big Sky Commerce
- Montana Career Opportunity - Java Developer - Bozeman, MT
The ideal candidate will provide technical expertise in producing high quality, configurable and maintainable software.
- Factors to Consider When Choosing your Merchant Service Provide
Chances are good that the right choice will greatly enhance a merchant's business and a wrong choice could lock a merchant into a contract that's tough - and costly - to get free from. A little homework will be well worth the effort.
Come Home Montana
- Big Data: Not Just for Nerds Anymore
The use of big data in sports has become so widespread that universities have departments devoted to it. Take the University of Arizona for example. They have a sports data mining section of their artificial intelligence department.
- Request for Proposals - feasibility study about meat processing in Montana
The project is intended to provide information about the possibility of expanding meat processing in Montana. Contractors are being sought to perform research into three key areas of the study: Conceptual Design, Marketing, and Labor.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Program Director of the LaunchPad, Research and Creative Scholarship - University of Montana
As part of a statewide effort, the Program Director of the LaunchPad will establish and manage the LaunchPad program on the UM campus.
- Video: Montana from the air.
We sure do live in a beautiful state!!!
- Montana Career Opportunities - Chief Operating Officer / WMT-AHEC Director and Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine and Kalispell Site Director - The Family Medicine Residency of Western Montana
The Family Medicine Residency of Western Montana is a three-year family medicine program sponsored by The University of Montana and affiliated with the University of Washington Family Medicine Residency Network.
Montana Economic Development
- Bozeman, Montana Based Schedulicity Partners with Priceline
The partnership will give over 7 million Schedulicity consumers access to thousands of hotel, airline and rental car services through the Priceline Partner Network.
- BlueSky Adds ViZn Batteries to its Austrian Microgrid
Austrian Industrial Revitalization Company Plans to Increase Renewable Energy Storage Capabilities for Developing Communities
- New Montana Filmmakers And Media Artists Meetup (Missoula + Online), 11/11, Missoula
Montana is a great place to be a filmmaker and media artist and there is a lot of talent here. Yet, many of us, myself included, operate for the most part in our own bubble. Do you think the time is right for us to find new ways to make Montana a center, to collaborate as a group with the rest of the world?
- Marketing "holes" exist in story of UM and Missoula attractions
There's limited evidence of the recreational and cultural ties between UM and the Western Montana lifestyle that is already well-known to Missoula residents.
- REC in Butte lays off 26 employees
Tore Torvund, President REC Silicon ASA, announced in a news release that the workforce reduction is due to continued weakness in the solar grade and electronic grade polysilicon markets, as well as continued uncertainty from the prolonged solar trade war between the U.S. and China.
- DoD releases guide to development near military installations in Montana
Maps will assist developers and local planners in reviewing projects near the base in Great Falls and 150 missiles located in Cascade, Chouteau, Judith Basin, Fergus, Lewis and Clark, Teton and Wheatland counties, said Susan Conell, Cascade County planning director.
City Club Missoula
- Emerging Trends in Project Management
As the Project Management Professional (PMP) credential becomes more and more important, and as more and more project managers obtain the PMP credential, it is no longer enough to master only the science of project management.
- Career Makeover: Stepping Up to Lead It is easy to get pigeonholed at work - Finding a way out is much harder
The Solution: Rethinking the meaning of "loyalty."
- City Club Missoula- MCPS K-12 Education Featuring Alex Apostle, Joe Knapp, 11/11, Missoula
Join Missoula County Public Schools Superintendent Alex Apostle and MCPS Board of Trustees chairman Joe Knapp Jr. for a discussion about the present state and future direction of public school education.
- Governor Bullock and Commissioner Bucy Present 2013 Labor Day Report to People of Montana - Bullock: "Montana is in a position of strength"
96 percent of Montana's labor force has a high - school diploma, ranking Montana as the 4 th best among states.
- "The State of the State's Health" - A Report on the Health of Montanans 2013
The DPHHS is committed to leading the state in health improvement by targeting our resources on programs and practices that are most effective and have the most impact.
- Ideas for Coping with Brain Drain in the Public Sector
Facing a wave of retirements, governments are looking for new ways to build up the expertise and knowledge of people coming up in the organization.
Incubators and R&D
- Pocatello, Idaho Struggles After Factory Fails
"It makes me sick thinking about the waste," said Brian C. Blad, the mayor of this city of 54,000 people.
- Holster maker lays off 64 in Meridian, Idaho
The 64 layoffs are in the cut and sew division, which is being eliminated.
Regional Economic Development
- University of Montana Shares $10 Million USDA Grant to Convert Beetle-Killed Trees into Biofuel
"The educational opportunities that the project provides will help prepare residents of the Rocky Mountain West to make better informed decisions about our energy systems in the coming decades."
South Dakota Economic Development
- States Offer Very Different Chances for Economic Advancement
"the nation's first statistical measure of the American dream"
Washington State Business
- State, federal officials investigate South Dakota office of economic development
In addition to asking for a criminal investigation, the governor said he has initiated an "independent review" of the state economic development office "to verify that any alleged misconduct was an isolated incident."
- Venture capitalists invest $23 Million in Liberty Lake's 2nd Watch Inc.
2nd Watch helps businesses use cloud-based technology to manage the costs of computing, networking and data storage.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- U of M developing campuswide entrepreneurship program
Today Provost Martha Pollack announced that the university will be building a campus-wide entrepreneurship program open to all majors.
- Stanford launches latest version of free iPhone/iPad apps course
The ever-popular course is free online to anyone, anywhere.
Montana Education Excellence
- MCPS trustees get 1st update on long-range facilities planning
Time is of the essence in addressing the convergence of increasing enrollment, old facilities and the demands of 21st century learning
- Missoula school enrollment to outgrow buildings
The community is exploring a range of options to recommend to trustees, who will have the final say.
Universities and Economic Development
- W. JAMES MCNERNEY, JR. Chairman, President And Chief Executive Officer The Boeing Company, 11/13, Missoula, Montana
Dean Larry Gianchetta invites you to attend a Public Forum with W. JAMES MCNERNEY, JR. Brought to you by the Harold and Priscilla Gilkey Executive Lecture Series
- Family Medicine Residency program a huge step for Montana
"It's an immense step for the state, but crucial to try and have more availability for physicians here," said Dr. Ned Vasquez, FMRWM Program Director.
- Network created to expand reach of University's Innovate Indiana initiative
The network is composed of IU representatives from 16 schools, offices and centers across the state identified as having tangential economic development roles or influence associated with their unit's core mission.
- The Innovative and Entrepreneurial University: Higher Education, Innovation & Entrepreneurship in Focus
The results from these discussions will encourage anyone concerned about America's capacity to innovate and create the next generation of high-growth startups, especially those who feel that institutions of higher education have an important role to play in this arena.
Funding and Building your Business
- The secrets of the world's happiest cities - Freedom of Mobility is the Key to Happiness
Cities designed for one type of mobility - the car - result in residents impaired by multiple types of ailments. To create a happier and healthier city, the solution is to facilitate many ways of getting around, especially alternatives to the auto.
Energy and Climate Change
- Foreign Trade Analysis from the U. S. Census Bureau
How can you find out if a country is already receiving the product you'd like to sell there?
- Expert Assistance for Exporting Your Products Abroad - U. S. Census Bureau
Use AESDirect to file your Electronic Export Information (EEI) to the Automated Export System (AES)
- Made in America grants available for Montana companies
Many U.S. companies are eligible to receive up to $75,000 in grant funding from the U.S. Economic Development Administration, Trade Adjustment Assistance for Firms Program, to help fund projects of their choice.
- 10 Qualities Every Future Business Needs to Have
Can you imagine the overwhelming growth of Facebook, Wikipedia, and Twitter in a culture dominated by alphas?
- 5 great movies entrepreneurs should watch for 'reel' inspiration
Though many of these characters listed below are based on the stories of real people, what better place to find inspiration than in the movies?
Connectivity & Communications
- Using more than a wing and a prayer: Company aims to cut raptor deaths with technology, people
Greg Copeland of San Francisco-based NaturEner USA, the owner, says the combination of technology and trained avian biologists form a tiered alert system that's proving to be effective, so far, at preventing the turbine blades from striking birds.
- How Smart Cities Must Plan for Electric Cars
How should charging stations be distributed within a city so there's always one within reasonable driving range?
- The 'Telecom Cartels'
Too many U.S. companies use their political and economic might to protect themselves against true competition. The result for rural communities is an uneven distribution of broadband access.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- State Data Center (SDC) Clearinghouse - Sharing Information Across a Network of 1,800 SDC/BIDC Data Centers and Affiliates Nationwide
Presentations include those developed by SDC network members or presenters at SDC conferences or events, and presentations provided by U.S. Census Bureau staff for an SDC.
- TIGERweb - Geographic data analysis without having to download the data
Users have the capability to turn on and off linear features and geographic entities by type. This allows users to limit the amount of data on the map by selecting only the features and entity types they would like to see.
- Montana Transportation and Land Use Scenario Planning Analysis Tools
Montana communities interested in developing scenario planning tools and processes can start by gathering information from FHWA's toolbox.
- San Francisco Entrepreneurship in Residence Program Reports Application Surge
City officials may have underestimated the level of interest from the startup community in working directly with government.
- Desktop 3D printer uses molten metal
Aiming to make desktop 3D metal printing a reality, Vader Systems is developing a device which uses molten aluminum in place of plastic.
- Today's TED Talk Gregoire Courtine: The paralyzed rat that walked
Gregoire Courtine and his interdisciplinary lab imagine new ways to recover after devastating, mobility-impairing injury to the spinal cord.
- U.K. town will build driverless podcar system
Driverless cars are coming to one town in the United Kingdom faster than you might imagine.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page