|MATR Newsletter - Fri Aug 16, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life" -- Steve Jobs
Beyond the 'Brain Drain': How Cities (and States) Really Need to Sell Themselves http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Parsec Data Management
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- All Are Invited: Montana Technology Connection, 8/21, Helena, Montana
Find out how Montana Technology Providers are driving business growth and what it means for the prosperity of the state and your business. Learn more about how local providers have become the leaders in the country in technology services and what you need to know to insure your business success.
- Missoula, Montana Based Dorsey & Whitney LLP Lawyer Jack Manning Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
"This is a much deserved recognition of the excellence of Dorsey's lawyers across our many practice areas and our geographic platform," noted Dorsey Managing Partner Ken Cutler. "That excellence translates into superb service to our clients every day."
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Back At It
It's that time of year again and the Back to School ads are running in full force. What is your company doing to get ahead of the class?
Come Home Montana
- Mosey Your Way to Yellowstone National Park
NOW'S THE TIME!
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Talent Available - IT Manager
OBJECTIVE: To obtain a management position with an IT-based company where I will maximize my skills in business and personnel management, program development, quality assurance, training, and customer service.
- Beyond the 'Brain Drain': How Cities (and States) Really Need to Sell Themselves
A place's best interests are not well served by people who've never lived anywhere else.
- Montana Career Opportunities - IT Manager, IT Recruiter, System/Network Administrator II, and more... - Arrow Soluions Group
At ASG, we are passionate about fostering successful relationships with our customers and candidates--relationships where quality, honesty and respect matter.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Missoula, Montana - The 25 Best U.S. Cities for Tech Startups
Missoula, Montana, had sixteen information and communications technology startups in 2010
- Hellgate Venture Network, Angel Investor Extraordinaire - Bill Payne, 8/22, Missoula, Montana
Bill will be "in conversation" with Dawn McGee and will share some insights around key considerations for approaching and working with Angel Investors.
- Curious About Leadership Montana? Join Us At The Leadership Montana Signature Event, 9/26-27, Helena, Montana
Find out why nearly 400 Montana leaders are involved in this program through experiencing a lively discussion on the role of civil discourse in government.
Montana Economic Development
- Questions, accusations swirl after audit of $10.5M Superior health center grant under the oversight of George Bailey
George Bailey, the director of business development for Mineral Community Hospital in Superior was dismissed in late July, months after he was reportedly implicated in an audit of the grant he wrote and oversaw.
- HealthShare Montana Newsletter
As of this month, Montana's statewide HIE has 500,000+ individual patients in its master patient index!
- 2 Flathead companies go international - Pro Defense, and Synergy Aircraft
A new exhibit at the Northwest Montana Fair this year has people thinking about the future.
Startup Weekend Missoula
- New Montana Meat Processing Facility in our Future?
Can a moderately sized, USDA approved multispecies meat processing facility operate in the state of Montana? That is the question a local nonprofit, in partnership with multiple entities, is working to determine.
- UM researchers receive nearly $350K in grants from state board
"When someone comes across technology that has good potential at a good price, we're pretty interested," said Dave Desch, executive director of the state board. "This is an economic development effort, and we're trying to increase business activity."
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Startup Weekend finishes with a flurry of winning ideas
"This is the way these entrepreneurial ecosystems develop." Steve Case, co-founder of AOL and chairman of newly formed Up Global, a partnership between Startup Weekend and Startup America that connects entrepreneurs with resources.
- Innovation Roundtable - Kindle Publishing, 11/06, Missoula
You will learn how to research a niche, combine blog posts into a book, format and submit your manuscript. You will also learn how to market your book.
- More women finding jobs in tech sector
According to the survey, the top tech positions for women -- in order -- were project manager, business analyst, other IT, quality assurance tester and technical recruiter, while men tended to hold job titles such as software engineer, systems administrator, project manager, IT manager and applications developer.
- The New CTO: Chief Transformation Officer
In the near future, the CTO will need to oversee the transformation of every business process, including how you sell, market, communicate, collaborate, and innovate.
- The 3 Questions People Always Forget to Ask in an Interview
I have always been more impressed by candidates who ask ME questions.
- Senator Tester pushes new plan to save taxpayers billions
By cutting into waste, fraud and abuse, Senator Jon Tester is fighting to make Medicare and Medicaid work better for Montanans, while saving taxpayers billions of dollars.
Incubators and R&D
- Should Walmart be terrified by this Idaho supermarket?
Do low-prices have to mean low wages or poor benefits for workers?
- University of California to open its research vaults, for free
The University of California has open-sourced all future research articles authored by faculty at all of its 10 campuses. The articles will be made available to the public at no charge.
Utah Economic Development
- Could the U.S. fight forest fires with software?
With the TimberGuide software, which runs on a tablet computer mounted inside a wood harvester, a prescriptive thinning plan can be uploaded and used to guide harvester operators through the cutting process without anyone having to manually mark trees.
- How Oil, Gas Drillers Avoid Paying Royalties
Manipulation of costs and other data by oil companies is keeping billions of dollars in royalties out of the hands of private and government landholders.
Washington State Business
- Governor's Office of Economic Development seeking grant applicants
The Governor's Office of Economic Development is accepting applications for grants from its Technology Commercialization and Innovation Program (TCIP).
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Washington's higher ed challenge: 50/50 by 2020
Our challenge is to find funding to expand access and improve the affordability of higher education while still maintaining and improving quality.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- The One Trillion Reasons To Rethink How Higher Education Funding Works
Greg pointed me to this awesome TEDx Talk that he did recently on the topic. I just watched it - if you are interested in higher education in any way it's worth 12 minutes of your life to watch it right now.
- President Obama pushes ambitious Internet access plan for schools
White House senior advisers have described the little-known proposal, announced earlier this summer under the name ConnectEd, as one of the biggest potential achievements of Obama's second term.
- The Best Way to Teach Kids Math and Science? Zombies
Yes, zombies. Zombies on graphing calculators, no less.
- Stanford undergraduate organizes bioengineering boot camp for high school students
"This is a discipline for the future and priming the pipeline with students is something we need to do."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Kennedy Center selects Missoula to join school arts network
"One of the things we noticed when we were here a few weeks ago, is when you all get behind something, it looks like there's nothing stopping you people," said Darrell Ayers of the Washington, D.C.-based Kennedy Center.
- RiverStone Health nursing program keeps 6,200 students healthy in 19 rural schools in Yellowstone County, Montana
"Our school nurses serve a pivotal role in providing health services for rural schools, as well as the promotion of health education," Hinz said. "They are always looking at creative ways to meet the unique health care needs of our schools."
- IBM and Universities Team Up to Close a 'Big Data' Skills Gap
The universities join more than 1,000 other institutions with which IBM has created partnerships in order to boost the number of students able to grapple with the floods of data currently redefining how things are done in business, science, and other fields.
Funding and Building your Business
- "Fighting for an American Countryside" is a multimedia production that makes the case for rural Minnesota - and small communities across the nation.
Declining population, the loss of jobs, the movement of political power to urban centers - these difficulties that confront much of rural Minnesota are part of the national rural conversation, as well.
Energy and Climate Change
- The Dark Side of Entrepreneurship - How do you measure up?
Researchers of the Universities of Jena and Stockholm prove anti-social Tendencies of Entrepreneurs
- How Startup Founders Set the Right Company Culture
What is a company culture, anyway?
- Latest SEO Tips for Higher Google Rankings
Extra content will give you opportunities to show off your in-depth understanding of relevant topics and to establish yourself as a thought leader in your segment or niche.
- 5 Problems to Incent Million Dollar Idea Startups
I see startups who are on the road to implementing an idea, but haven't figured out what problem it solves - the business plan waxes on eloquently for 20 pages about how great this product and technology is, but never gets around to defining the problem (investors call this the "solution looking for a problem" syndrome).
- Cheaper solar, wind with better weather forecasting
IBM has developed software that it hopes would help improve predictions of the power output from renewables -- reducing the need for backup power:
- Battery free mobile devices are here
Everyday things and even smart buildings could be powered and connected to the Web without any batteries by using the energy that's available in wireless signals.
- Governments realign IT spending focus to favor BI, analytics
"By placing analytics and business intelligence at the top of the list, government CIOs are addressing government's need to proactively manage programs and services."
- Project Management Lessons from California's Big IT projects
Major projects in state government can easily snowball in scope, schedule and budget.
- Pavement Analysis Tool to Keep Longmont, Colo., on Top of Road Maintenance
To properly predict what road maintenance lies ahead, the department will soon work with a contractor to "drive the city" using a truck with specialized equipment that will gather data on current pavement conditions. Once the data is collected, it will be integrated into the asset management system tool for analysis.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- 2013 MNA Annual Conference Registration Is Open!!, 10/2-4, Missoula, Montana
The 2013 MNA Annual Conference will be devoted to exploring the power of innovation, delivering skills to stimulate opportunity and grow new strategies, and to empowering you with tools to build an innovative organization.
- Missoula Fringe Festival - Over 60 Live Shows - 175 Participants, 8/15-17, Missoula, Montana
Anyone can perform anything, anywhere. Anything goes.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page