|MATR Newsletter - Fri May 24, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
License plate on $200,000+ Bentley Flying Spur: "2.0 GPA" --- http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
The Main Street Montana Project - All Are Invited, 5/28, Billings, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4615 --- The Main Street Montana Project - All Are Invited, 6/4, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4616
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
Great Falls Development Authority
- A New Attitude at the Bigfork, Montana Whitewater Festival - 38th annual event targeted to be more family-friendly
It's a celebration of the return of warm weather and big rapids, all taking place on the aptly named Wild Mile section of the Swan River.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 14 Great Things for 5-19-2013
Here's the GFDA Top 14 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward!
Come Home Montana
- How to implement data analysis/business intelligence in your organization the right way and for the right reasons
If actionable business insight, the stuff of BI legend, is the Mt. Everest summit, know this: There's little point to building or buying a better ice pick if the climbing team has no arms.
- Collaborate.org: The global intelligence dashboard you've always wanted
Meet the new open platform for big data visualization that has governments clamoring.
- How to Make Analytics Projects Pay Off
Floundering analytics initiatives fail to provide meaningful insights because IT departments are applying traditional reporting tools and development methodologies that just aren't appropriate for analytics.
- Can Data Drive Student Choices?
If you think about the kind of guidance that's given to any college student today, it's not necessarily shaped by hard data.
- Big Data Needs a Steady Management Hand to Give Best Results
Data driven companies are at least 5 percent more productive and achieve higher profits and market value than their competitors encumbered in traditional decision models was. "Data driven decision makers are winning."
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Web Programmer - SimBio
This individual will work closely with client programmers and other product development team members, implementing interfaces to new database-driven teaching tools and assisting with other web programming tasks.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- A look at Massachusetts entrepreneurial ecosystem
It's important to note that really sophisticated investors know that not all good ideas come from universities and incubators.
- Montana Economic Developers Association Strategic Plan as of May 2013
The Montana Economic Developers Association sponsors educational seminars, workshops and conferences to advance the economic development profession.
Montana Economic Development
- Deborah Matus Launches Rising Rock Marketing, LCC to Support Small Business Growth
RisingRockMarketing.com will support small businesses and start-ups in defining and implementing their product marketing strategy.
- Tourism is among Montana's greatest economic development success stories
If 2013 is like last year, Montanans can expect to welcome more than 5 million travelers this summer and close to 11 million throughout the full year. This is great news for thousands of small businesses around the state.
- Senior Population Rapidly Rising in Montana's Flathead County
One in five Flathead residents will be elderly in five years
- Billings Friendliness Nets Two Manufacturing Ventures
"Shibagaki thought only crazy people say hello," said Stinchfield, about other places around the world. Shibagaki liked the friendliness of Billings and decided, then and there, that this is where he wanted to do business.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- The Helena Airport Authority backs away from plans for tax district for aerospace business
"It's just a matter of sorting out which direction we want to go."
- Missoula Economic Partnership May and June Innovation Initiative Events
We are looking forward to the last three weeks of Innovation Initiative. The program will resume in the fall, as usual, with a number of practical and informative sessions on various business topics.
Business Plan Forums
- 'Soft Skills' Can Help You Get Ahead
Most people are terrible at self-assessment, a core skill that is needed to succeed.
- Class of 2013: Emotional Intelligence Matters
You've been told throughout your academic years that your grades and your IQ are crucial for life success. That's not the whole truth.
- Class of 2013: Your Degree Doesn't Mean Squat
What can you bring to the table that makes you worth hiring?
- 14 Revealing Signs You Love Your Startup Job
So all of the following may not be the case all of the time. But when you love your job, many of the following should be the case much of the time:
- The Data Scientist: "the "sexiest" job of the 21st century"
Today, companies are fighting to recruit these specialists, courses on how to become one are popping up at many universities.
- Idaho TechLaunch Business Plan Competitions, 6/13-14, Boise, Idaho
Up-and-coming Idaho entrepreneurs will soon compete for up to $50,000 in cash prizes as Idaho's next Entrepreneurial Idol and Crowd Pitch crowned recipients.
- University of Montana Business School Announces John Ruffatto Business Plan Competition Winners
22 student teams were originally nominated in April by faculty from higher education institutions across Montana for consideration in this event that is designed to encourage Montana students to develop their business ideas and learn about entrepreneurship from business experts.
- Idaho education spending still at the bottom
Idaho remains stuck at the bottom of public education funding, ranking second to last of all states in per-student spending for a third straight year, the U.S. Census Bureau said today.
- Idaho industries, universities partner to win Idaho Global Entrepreneurial Mission (IGEM) grants
iGem is a comprehensive strategy to enable Idaho's stakeholders to collaborate and leverage resources with the goal of increasing the state's knowledge-based economy.
- rosieMADE: How One Woman Started Her Own Company to Help Other Female Entrepreneurs
Through the rosieMADE shop and community, women can get together to inspire and encourage each other, whether through purchasing products or soaking in resources about female leadership.
Regional Economic Development
- Phone Firms Sell Data on Customers
Big phone companies have begun to sell the vast troves of data they gather about their subscribers' locations, travels and Web-browsing habits.
- 36 Hours Behind the Scenes of Rhode Island's Health Exchange
The exchange's product is an experience, the relatively simple and seamless experience of shopping for and purchasing health insurance.
- Average Hospital Cost By State
Governing compiled average hospital costs for various treatments, ranking states by cost. The following states were found to have the highest average aggregate rankings, indicating the most expensive medical costs:
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Sustainable Rural Downtowns Case Studies
Sustainable development in these rural communities is exhibited through investment in unique assets of their community, development of affordable housing, enhancement of economic competitiveness, and preservation of their natural resource preservation through infill development.
- Increasing Postsecondary Access Through Community College Baccalaureate Degrees
Twenty states have begun meeting the demand for more bachelor's degrees by giving community colleges an expanded role and allowing them to offer four-year degrees.
- What Does It Really Mean to Be College and Work Ready?
A study of the English Literacy and Mathematics required for success in the first year of community college.
Montana Education Excellence
- Sticker shock: Students and parents, here is why your college education cost so much money
Is it the "Bowen Rule" or "Baumol's cost disease"?
- Should School Boards be Expelled?
There are many reasons, foremost among them that U.S. student achievement seems to have stagnated. There's also a growing perception that big money has started to corrupt the school board system.
Universities and Economic Development
- Bozeman High senior projects: Learning and making a difference
"I learned a lot," Nason said. "People have stopped giving to Haiti because they think everything is done. That's not true."
- A year in the making: CMR seniors present collection of senior research projects
It's a lot of work, but for the last five years, English teacher Jamie McGraw has had a cadre of students willing to put the work into the senior research class, which combines senior English and government curriculum.
- Montana Board of Regents awards Tech doctoral program in materials science
Ideally, Tech will contribute metallurgy and materials engineering expertise, plus general engineering, chemistry and biological sciences expertise. MSU will provide mechanical engineering and UM will offer physics and chemistry proficiency.
Funding and Building your Business
- University joins others to open economic development office.
"We had a lot of independent flowers growing in the university, but they lacked a cohesive approach," Innovista executive director Don Herriott said. "In today's world, the role of the modern university is to help its community and its state be prosperous."
Energy and Climate Change
- SBA starting new lending program for veterans - Banks sign on with aim to start 2,000 new businesses.
The agency started the program after finding there was a gap in lending to veterans.
- How You Too Can Be an Unstoppable Entrepreneur
Every entrepreneur needs to accelerate his proficiency by adopting and using this proven set of skills, rules, and emotional power principle.
- Tours of Duty: The New Employer-Employee Compact
A new type of relationship is required where workers understand that their employer is willing to invest in their development so long as they continue adding value.
- The Why and How Of Updating Your Angel Investors
The CEO is the investor's user interface into the business.
- Headwaters MB opens Boise office to open capital to mid-sized companies
The bank has its own private equity fund and offers investment banking services.
- New Portal Boosts Energy Research
Developed by the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) and launched in April, the site features customizable maps with a 36 distinct data layers that can display everything from the location of natural gas deposits and coal mines to electric transmission lines and potential wind power sites -- all at the national, state, Congressional district and county levels.
- Companies share energy efficiency secrets - Better Building Challenge
Three dozen companies including Best Buy, General Electric, Macy's and Staples -- that have pledged not only to cut energy use 20% by 2020 but also to share their secrets for success as part of a new federal program that's releasing its first-year results today.
- Majority thinks global warming, clean energy should be priorities
Six in 10 Americans want the U.S. to reduce greenhouse gas emissions regardless of other countries' emissions efforts, according to the survey. Only 6% say the U.S. should not reduce its greenhouse emissions.
- Welcome to Data-Smart City Solutions
Crowdsourcing, data collection and analytics, and smart infrastructure, in particular, cropped up multiple times as ways to help a variety of government bodies better serve citizens.
- Cities Ramp Up Data Projects
The use of technology and automation in states and localities will continue to grow, particularly where big data and analytics are concerned.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Montana Nonprofit Association Conference - 10/2-4, Missoula, Montana
Don't miss being among the nearly 400 nonprofit leaders who will gather to network, learn, and prepare their organizations to meet the future with confidence, adaptability and innovation.
- Inside Google's Secret Lab
The biggest moonshot of all may be the skunk works itself.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page