|MATR Newsletter - Tue May 14, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
The John Ruffatto Business Plan Competition, 5/16, University Of Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4568 --- TEDxUMontana is looking for the best speakers http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Montana No. 1 for business startups per 100,000 adults. You should be here living and growing your startup! http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
- Certified ScrumMaster Training, 7/16-17, Missoula, Montana
"Rather than incurring the cost of sending employees out of state to become Certified ScrumMasters, we're bringing these professional development opportunities to our Montana communities".
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- TEDxUMontana is looking for the best speakers
If you think you've got what it takes to be on stage for TEDxUMontana, let us know. The priority deadline for applying is May 31, 2013.
- TEDxStanford highlights breakthroughs in research and creativity, Stanford-style
They sacrificed a spectacular sunny Saturday afternoon by the hundreds, forgoing all else to sit in a darkened hall to witness hours of intense lectures and art works. Happily. Eagerly. Hungrily.
- Raising Capital For Your Business Venture with Dr. Robert Wiltbank , 5/20, Bozeman, Montana
Dr. Wiltbank will discuss how the process of raising capital from "Angel Investors" works, what companies should expect, valuation techniques, typical terms and conditions, how to prepare for a presentation, and other trends that are happening in this arena.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- NorthWestern Energy Issues Energy Supply RFP
NorthWestern Energy is seeking up to 100 megawatts (MW) of firm supply for the period of January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2017 at Mid-C or on NorthWestern's system and up to 300 MW of firm supply for the period of July 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014 on the NorthWestern system.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Montana tourism campaign wins over Chicago columnist - Visit Montana - "Step Out of Bounds"
Starting May 1, commuters who board or depart trains at the station - Chicago's largest, and one of its busiest - have to first walk across Montana. The platforms are covered in giant maps of the state.
- Rediscover Montana Magazine - Welcome from Governor Steve Bullock
As you flip through all the wonderful places featured in this publication, block out some time on your calendar to take a trip and revisit the special places that renew your spirit -- whether it's to hike a particular trail, fish your favorite water hole, or see what's new at a nearby art gallery.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top Fifteen 5-12-13
Here's the GFDA Top 15 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward!
Come Home Montana
- Big Data: The Key to Economic Development?
Big Data has the potential to accelerate economic development in parts of the world where development has been most elusive.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Account Manager - Vision Net, Inc.
We are seeking an Account Manager who will be responsible for proposing and selling products and services offered by Vision Net.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Information Security Specialist, Solutions Consultant, Solutions Developer - Zoot Enterprises
Zoot has been the pioneer in the financial industry's decisioning and origination arena for over 20 years. We are the technical engine that is changing the way the nation's leading banks work. Our passionate and talented employees work with the nation's largest financial institutions to solve some of the financial industry's most complex business problems.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Video Production Coordinator, Accounting Clerk, Seasonal Construction Worker, and more - Mid-Rivers Communications
Mid-Rivers is the largest Montana-owned provider of voice services to Montana subscribers with over 25,000 working access lines.
- Montana No. 1 for business startups per 100,000 adults. You should be here living and growing your startup!
Entrepreneurs in western Montana see the top ranking as a sign that mobilization to connect entrepreneurs as well as the continued emergence of tools and technology to help good ideas grow into good businesses are working.
- Seattle Seeks to Stir Up More Startups With New McGinn Initiative
From New York City to San Francisco to state and national capitals, governments are trying various combinations of financial support and tax breaks, promotional campaigns, and "startup neighborhood" development plans to attract and grow young companies.
- Leadership Montana - Training RFP
If you know of any leadership development program that would be interested in submitting a proposal for the Leadership Montana program, please click on "Contact Us" at the top of this page to send us an email providing the name and contact information for the organization.
Montana Economic Development
- Montana's Synergy Aircraft Wins an Award From and Is the Cover of Popular Science
John McGinnis thinks ordinary families would rather skip the airport and fly themselves.
- MMEC invites you to participate in a workforce skill needs survey
The consortium is seeking federal funding to support this effort through the Trade Adjustment Act Community College Career Training grant to advance manufacturing and energy-related training to increase the number of individuals with the skills needed to be productive in the workforce.
- High-tech shopping: Van's IGA uses interactive Web, phone apps to reach customers
A grocery delivery program that was started when Van's purchased the 10th Avenue South grocery in 2006 has grown considerably and could be ideal for interactive Web site and smart phone use.
- Governor Bullock Launches Bottom-up Economic Development Initiative - The Main Street Montana Project- Schedule of Roundtables Set
Johnstone promised an effort “driven by facts, not ideology,” and said Montana is operating from a position of relative economic strength – which is a good time to look at how the world is changing and how you can adapt to it.
- The Montana Economic Revitalization and Development Institute (MERDI) seeking state grant for infrastructure improvements
Faster telecommunication systems would help economic development within the city.
- Missoula council, CSKT representatives discuss economic development
Beyond deep historical and geographical connections, the Missoula Valley and Flathead Indian Reservation share many things.
Come Home Wyoming
- It takes 90 seconds to make an impression
You only get one chance to make a bad impression...
- Your Internship: Rock Your Summer-long Job Interview
By creating a good relationship with your supervisors, being open and up front about your goals, and knowing your strengths within the organization, you can differentiate yourself and get ahead on your job search.
- 6 Ways to Bounce Back After a Screw Up at Work
Almost all of us will make mistakes at some point during our career. When that happens, what's more important is what you do next.
Business Plan Forums
- Wyoming Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Powell Economic Partnership, Inc.
The Executive Director is responsible for consistent analysis of current capabilities and opportunities in the Powell Valley, driving an environment for attracting new business and industry, fundraising and developing a system for ensuring existing business growth.
- University of Montana to Host Annual Business Plan Competition on May 16
The competition benefits Montana in many ways by advancing the state's entrepreneurial culture. In addition, it has led to the founding of dozens of great Montana companies including Big Sky Brewing, Orbital Shift, American Expedition Vehicles and Five on Black. Many participants say the competition was the highlight of their educational experience at UM.
Regional Economic Development
- The Average Manufacturing Establishment Is Smaller Than You Think, and Getting Smaller
There's a whole other world of niche manufacturers in the U.S., and these small firms are more typical -- and should be more of a priority.
- Top 10 Best Cities To Move To Today
Which one is best for you?
South Dakota Economic Development
- Some Thoughts on the Economic Revitalization of Small Town Downtowns
The first step is to take an exhaustive inventory of everything in the community as well as those forces or individuals outside of the community who can contribute to more successful outcomes
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- The Rural Imperative - Rural Renaissance
The basic infrastructure of the 21st Century, said Bell, is broadband. "We all know roads, rail lines, airports and what they do -- broadband is the new one. broadband is the first essential."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- MSU scientists develop potential new treatment for autoimmune diseases
A patent application is pending and the technology is available for licensing.
- MSU College of Agriculture has new wheat variety available for licensing
MSU is the major supplier of new wheat varieties for Montana growers with approximately 2.5 million acres of MSU varieties grown in the state from 2010 to 2012, according to the Montana Agricultural Statistics Service.
Funding and Building your Business
- High School blazes a trail with digital fabrication lab - Making things the high-tech way
High school shop classes that help students gain technical skills are nothing new, but what about a course called "How to Make (Almost) Anything" that actually means it?
- TED Talk: Ken Robinson: How to escape education's death valley
Sir Ken Robinson outlines 3 principles crucial for the human mind to flourish -- and how current education culture works against them.
- TED Talk - Timothy Bartik: The economic case for preschool
In this well-argued talk, Timothy Bartik makes the macro-economic case for preschool education -- and explains why you should be happy to invest in it, even if you don't have kids that age (or kids at all).
Energy and Climate Change
- 6 Strategies for Transforming Ideas Into Results
Turning business ideas into action consists of six essential strategies
- Would You Shop Here If You Didn't Work Here? Four Steps to Employee Advocacy
We want to appeal to customers. But, how can we be a customer favorite if our own people don't believe in the product?
- Carbon Dioxide Level Is Highest in Human History
Most scientists believe the burning of coal, oil, and natural gas is helping cause the rapid rise in carbon dioxide levels. This greenhouse gas traps heat, changes weather patterns, and raises sea levels.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Developers Are Already Submitting Patches to Obama's New Open Data Policy
"We sit on a treasure trove of data in government."
- King County, Wash., Saves $6.1 Million with mobile apps for property assessors
The agency's new mobile solution, however -- called iRealProperty -- solved many of the problems, and now saves the county time, money and trouble.
- The Gates Notes
The official site of Bill Gates
- How green-tech innovations are changing everything from better batteries to vacations to war-making.
Batteries are key. They can directly power electric cars and buses and, indirectly, homes and big buildings by storing solar and wind power for times when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow. They balance out renewables that produce energy intermittently so consumers can power up laptops or run refrigerators 24/7.
- Small Towns Fight for Passenger Rail
Amtrak's one-track mind focuses on urban corridors. But smaller communities armed with facts, successful examples and dogged persistence are making the case for passenger rail.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page