|MATR Newsletter - Tue May 7, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions." -Dalai Lama
Tonight! - TED Talks Education - "American Graduate: Let's Make It Happen.", 5/7, PBS http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4602 --- MEDA 2013 Spring Conference "MEDA: 20 Years Of Partnership And Progress.", 5/8-10, Hamilton, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4564
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
- Forbes Names NorthWestern Energy As Trustworthy Company for Third Time
"We don't claim to be perfect," said Bob Rowe, NorthWestern Energy's CEO. "We do take a 'best practices' approach to corporate governance, with developments reviewed by our Board of Directors at every meeting. We want to be a strong company over the long term, able to serve our customers for many decades to come."
Great Falls Development Authority
- Project Management Institute - Stakeholder Management Discussion, 05/14, Missoula, MT
Chris will present an overview of that new knowledge area and facilitate the group in a conversation of the importance of good stakeholder management as a key for project success, as well as some thoughts and ideas for group discussion.
- Great Falls Development Authority Top Twelve 5-5-13
Here's the GFDA Top 12 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward!
Come Home Montana
- 6 Things You May Not Know About Open Data
DATA.GOV - Empowering the People - The purpose of Data.gov is to increase public access to high value, machine readable datasets generated by the Executive Branch of the Federal Government.
- Little Data Makes Big Data More Powerful
This partnership between Big and Little Data can apply to almost any industry, from travel and financial services to health care and government.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Montana Career Opportunity - Sales Manager - Western CPE
Western CPE http://www.westerncpe.com , a national leader in continuing education for financial professionals, seeks Sales Manager.
- Hellgate Venture Network - Jenna Cederberg And Increasing Media Coverage For Your Organization, 5/9, Missoula, Montana
Our next meeting will feature Jenna Cederberg of the Missoulian who will share tips on how to get media coverage for your business.
Startup Weekend Missoula
- Montana State Fund Lowers Rates for Policy Year 2014
"This rate reduction is another example of how our policyholders have invested in keeping their employees injury free," said Laurence Hubbard, President and CEO of Montana State Fund.
- Brewer Dental in Billings, Montana starts program to grow its own assistants
Plans for the Dental Assisting School have been in the works for six years and were accelerated as Brewer Dental found itself in perpetual recruitment mode, said the school's director, Dr. E. Wade Wilde.
- Missoula startup Cycling House offers its 1st alpine tour of western Montana
Riders will average 77 miles a day for a total of 417 on the weeklong trip, which includes five mountain passes and 17,000 feet of elevation gain.
- Senator Tester Standing up for Montana's small businesses - No to Internet Sales Tax
In Montana, we do not have a statewide sales tax. In fact, Montanans have voted twice against adopting a sales tax.
- Senator Baucus: Fight to Protect Montana Businesses from Online Sales Tax Not Over
"Small businesses need to focus their time on creating jobs, not playing tax collector for other states. This bill is bad for Montana businesses, and I'm going to keep fighting to make sure it doesn't become law," Baucus said.
Warren Miller Freedom Foundation
- Portland Startup Weekend: A 54-hour sprint to new connections, horizons and possibilities
The high-energy, double all-nighter known as Startup Weekend yielded friendships, connections and a few tense moments.
- How to Raise an Entrepreneur
Tips on putting your kids on the path to running their own businesses
- The Apprentices of a Digital Age - Do professional jobs always require a bachelor's degree?
For a small group of the young, digital elite, Enstitute http://enstituteu.com/ seeks to challenge the conventional wisdom that top professional jobs always require a bachelor's degree.
- Your Social Media Profile is the Resume that Counts
Today, most personnel organizations readily admit that they already use the Internet to cross-check what they see in your written resume.
Incubators and R&D
- Events to honor Boise tech startups on Thursday 5/9/13
We want to raise awareness within our community and let it be known that you don't have to come out of Silicon Valley to create great technology."
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- The Materials Genome Initiative - Can an idea from MIT save US manufacturing?
"We believe materials are going to fuel the economy of the future and solve some of society's greatest challenges."
- Paving the way for tech transfer
A new UN body to advise nations on climate tech may break the deadlock in the long-running debate on transferring technology
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- "The Mission Continues"
Empowering post 9/11 veterans to transition from the military to leadership positions here at home.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Is This the Best Education Money Can Buy?
Unlike other New York City private schools, with their decades of institutional wisdom, Avenues was founded on the premise that its parents were partners in building a new community. So it was ready to hear them out.
- Is Massively Open Online Education A Threat Or A Blessing?
This is an astonishing example of the way MOOCs -- massively open online courses -- may be able to transform education as we know it, changing it from the privilege of an elite into a shared commons that is open and free to everyone.
- TED Talks Education - "American Graduate: Let's Make It Happen.", 5/7, PBS
TED Talks Education is an exhilarating night of talks hosted by John Legend.
- Science, Technology and Engineering in Pre-K
"We have to increase our expectations for little kids, which tend to be much too low."
Montana Education Excellence
- 2013 Emmy Nominations for MAPS (Media Arts in the Public Schools)
Today we learned that MAPS received three Emmy Nominations for the PSA's our students produced for State Farm Insurance.
Funding and Building your Business
- Montana's rural schoolhouses face unclear future
Most of these schoolhouses are dotted across western rural communities, and Montana is home to more than any other state.
- MSU mourns the death of Chief Information Officer Dewitt Latimer
MSU President Waded Cruzado said Latimer had a keen intelligence and an ability to analyze and understand big-picture concepts swiftly. She said he will be missed by all four campuses in the university system.
- University of Montana Students get $1.8M for fired workers: Group pressured UM to cancel contract with Adidas after factory in Indonesia was closed
"Both Royce and legal counsel here took time to review Adidas' position on severance policies and the Worker Rights Consortium," said Peggy Kuhr, UM's vice president for integrated communications. "We thought it was important as a university to be committed to the dignity of all workers."
- University of Montana School of Business Administration Students Score in 94th Percentile Nationally on Business Major Field Test - School of Business Administration Dean's Report
The Business Major Field Test, administered by 585 universities nationwide, measures critical knowledge and understanding obtained by students and offers SoBA a way to evaluate its students' performance and our program's effectiveness against similar institutions around the country.
- Organizations getting rid of the annual budget process.
"A budget is like a cockroach -- you think it's dead, but then you have to go spray some more Raid on it."
- How to Raise Money When You're Not in a Major VC Market
GRP Partners' Mark Suster says that, while it can be more difficult to raise money if you don't live in a major VC zone, he has some tips on how to attract a VC investment no matter where you are.
- Steve Saroff's Montana Voice
Too many business books just brag and teach nothing, but most successes come from strings of personal loss...
- Big Data in Maryland
In this video from the NASCIO Midyear Conference in Washington D.C., Powell talks about the steps his state is taking to make greater use data sharing and analytics.
- How Generation X is Shaping Government
Gen Xers are way more comfortable with transparency and open data initiatives. We're learning in government that people are interested in this information and that they're willing to put it into a meaningful, useful format that benefits other people in the community."
- NpDP - Lending a Hand to Nonprofits - Flathead Nonprofit Development Partnership marks 10 years in the valley
"There was no local resource for nonprofits and to get training you had to go elsewhere," Blood said. "We felt we had the resources right here in the valley."
- International Wildlife Film Festival winners announced
Here is a list of the other rewards given out by the IWFF.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Autism Linked to Environmental Factors
New Studies of Air Pollution, Pesticides and Iron Bolster Evidence Tying Developmental Disorder to Influences in Womb
- 3-D Printing - Yup that cereal box in his hand is a gun . Silly beyond belief
He told the BBC: "There is a demand of guns - there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can't own firearms - and that's not true anymore.
- Getting a complete physical by smartphone is becoming a real possibility
Companies are rapidly developing miniature medical devices that tap the power of the ubiquitous smartphone in hopes of changing how people monitor their own health.
- Terrafugia's next flying car envisioned as tilt-rotor
Even though its first flying car is still at least two years away, a Massachusetts aerospace firm has unveiled a new design for a future product after that, one more akin to a helicopter than a plane.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page