|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 26, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson -- Why the Lean Start-Up Changes Everything http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
4 Surprising Areas With the Best Opportunities for Entrepreneurs - Not surprising to folks in Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html ---
GigaPOP in Missoula
- Who needs Google? There's now a Tera-POP in rural northwest Montana.
The project, called Montana West, utilizes the "Broadband Technology Opportunity Program" to build fiber optic cable from Polson south along Highway 93 into Missoula to the major data communications facility in Western Montana, the iConnect Montana "fiber hotel" at Higgins and Broadway.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Know your Options - Is Digital Right For You?
Should your next print project be printed digitally? This checklist will help you determine if going digital is the right choice.
- Whitefish, Montana is a hip mountain town where everyone can kick back
Situated at the north end of the Flathead Valley in northern Montana, just four and a half hours from Calgary, the hip and happening town of Whitefish has long been a popular getaway for Albertans on the prowl for a good ol' fashioned "American" fix.
Come Home Montana
- How a Star Trek convention explains the secret to selling more stuff
When it comes to forming a bond with customers, one expert suggests using big data to help them form a bond with each other.
- Experts discuss value of energy analytics
Utilities who use analytics to detect technical and non-technical losses are not only improving the return on smart grid investments, but they are reducing fraud in the system.
- How to Dig Deeper into Customer Experience Management
"With the right tools in place, the contact center can play a strategic role in the collection of customer experience data."
- How advanced analytics are redefining banking
At some level, actually, you can think of it as a way to transform the institution, much the way in the 1980s and 1990s and early 2000s IT and systems basically transformed every single bank in terms of how you apply IT to different business processes from a cost-reduction standpoint, from a revenue-generation standpoint, et cetera.
- Entrepreneurs Who Rule By Gut Instinct Usually Lose
The use of data and analytics to support and make decisions. Intuition should never be ignored, but it should be supplemented by the growing wealth of data and analytic power available. The evidence is overwhelming that systematic analysis, not paralysis, leads to better decisions than intuition alone.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Graphic/UI Designer - SimBio
SimBio, a producer of innovative biology education software, seeks assistance with UI development and design.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Developer - Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Join our small team in Missoula, Montana in the development and maintenance of website, custom applications, and databases.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Invention Disclosure Drafting for Navy Software - TechLink
TechLink is seeking informal bids for an expert with at least 5 years of experience in intellectual property management and software patents to develop invention disclosures for four training software-related innovations from a Navy laboratory.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Training and Development Specialist, Marketing Coordinator - Great Harvest Bread
We offer all the usual benefits as well as profit sharing, an environment that promotes a strong work/life balance (with up to six weeks of vacation a year), and most important of all, free bread!
- Montana Career Opportunities - IT Project Manager - Healthcare industry, GIS Database Developer, Sr. Network Engineer - Arrow Solutions Group
At ASG, we are passionate about fostering successful relationships with our customers and candidates--relationships where quality, honesty and respect matter.
- Governor Steve Bullock: Kauffman Index Ranks Montana First in Nation for Entrepreneurs
"The quality of life we enjoy in Montana, and the quality of our workforce and our education system, all contribute to attracting and inspiring people with a strong entrepreneurial spirit."
- 4 Surprising Areas With the Best Opportunities for Entrepreneurs - Not surprising to folks in Montana
A recently released report from the Manhattan Institute, America's Growth Corridors, identifies four regions of the country it dubs "growth corridors" that are not only growing strong today, but also present continuing opportunities for the future.
- Montana entrepreneurs share success stories
"Just because the doors are open doesn't mean we're any smarter than we were before the doors were open."
- The Most Common Leadership Model - And Why It's Broken
Don't reward technical competency - reward aggregate contribution.
Montana Economic Development
- Montana Senator Tester rails against online sales tax
"Small businesses in Montana like mine rely on internet sales for much of our business, and this bill would fundamentally hurt my bottom line," said Lance Trebesch, CEO of TicketPrinting.com http://ticketprinting.com/ in Harlowton. "I appreciate Senator Tester standing up for Montana and our state's small businesses as we work together to grow our economy and create more jobs for Montanans."
- Montana CDC Awarded $65 million in New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC) from the U.S. Treasury Department
Without Montana CDC's allocation of NMTC, nearly $222 million in private investment and economic growth would not have occurred over the past five years. Currently, four New Markets Tax Credit projects are under construction in Montana and Idaho.
- Kalispell Startup Company Plandree Vying for Support in Global Contest
"I have committed to keeping Plandree here in the Flathead and the eventual jobs coming this summer. This vote is a very big step in that process."
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Delta Air Lines exec to keynote Tester's tourism workshop in Bozeman
"Montana's tourism industry depends on reliable and efficient air travel, and Eric knows how to connect visitors to our state's great outdoors," said Tester. "This workshop will allow local businesses to hear from Eric about the best ways to grow our tourism industry and create more jobs."
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Modes: A New Model for Leadership Development by Daniel Goleman
The good news: our modes are sets of learned habits. Because the brain is plastic, we can unlearn the negative ones and replace them with more effective habits.
- May & June 2013 Missoula Economic Partnership Innovation Initiative Events in Missoula
We're looking forward to the next six weeks of Innovation Initiative. Our effort in meeting your business development needs continues with emphasis on strategic planning, management, marketing, and HR.
Business Plan Forums
- How to Improve Your Life Through Mentoring Programs
As a mentee, you will usually be responsible for driving the mentorship and your role is that of the willing participant and learner. Mentees can take advantage of numerous benefits.
- Missoula Career Fair draws in thousands
"Unemployment for service members -- both current service members and past -- is double what the state norms are, so we've been doing a series of these throughout Montana,"
- University of Portland students will compete for $100,000 in annual business plan competition
All teams -- each of which must include one University of Portland student and can include outsiders -- will present business plans during the morning session before a panel of judges.
- Missoula Mayor Engen using "cautious optimism" over Missoula economy for budget
You know I've had more interest in development in Missoula, as I tell people, in the last six months than I've probably had in 8-years as mayor," said Missoula Mayor John Engen
- Peers praise Baucus as champion of small business, state of Montana
"As Finance Committee chairman and a senior member of both the Agriculture and the Environment and Public Works committees, Max has been a leader on a broad range of issues that touch the lives of Americans across the country." President Barack Obama
- Internet sales tax embraced by no-tax Republicans
You don't see this very often: a majority of Senate Republicans voting to make people who buy stuff on the Internet pay state and local sales taxes.
Oregon Economic Development
- Struggling Idaho alt energy company Exergy Development Group sued again
Exergy Development Group http://www.exergydevelopment.com/ of Boise and its owner, James Carkulis, were sued in Colorado by Classic Bicycle Racing, owner of Colorado's USA Pro Challenge race.
Regional Economic Development
- Business Oregon proposes overhaul of multi-million dollar tax credits that helped woo SoloPower, SolarWorld
Oregon's economic development arm is angling for more freedom to extend millions of dollars in tax credits to manufacturers, even as the program's two highest-profile companies struggle to survive.
Washington State Business
- Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity - Montana is #1
Among states, Montana had the highest entrepreneurial activity rate, with 530 per 100,000 adults creating businesses each month during 2011.
- Expanding full-day kindergarten possible in Spokane
Hundreds of studies show full-day kindergarten improves young learners' academics and behavior, at least through second grade.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Codeacademy: teach people to code, boost the economy
"We're building the basic steps of competency to help people start their own companies, get entry level jobs right now."
- Pre-K Goes to Congress - Prepare All Kids Act
These days, it's encouraging to see leaders at every political level championing early education.
- Tech-savvy superintendents share keys to their success
Winners of annual award from eSchool News honored in a series of webinars
- Whole Brain Learning Leaves No Child Behind
A unique way of teaching right here in Missoula. Some say it makes it nearly impossible for any child to be left behind. But how does it work?
- State Universities Should Move Online More Aggressively
Public universities have a long history of adapting to technological change, but they must speed up their embrace of online education -- and work together to do so -- to remain at the forefront of educating the citizens of their states and the country.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- A Minor in Entrepreneurship Would Be Ideal
Passion for an idea, a concept, a service or a product, is truly the key to a successful venture, entrepreneurship included.
- The 10 Best Public High Schools in America - Is one of the top 10 schools in your state?
Not every school is created equal, and it's important to know which ones are doing the best job educating kids in your community, and your state.
- 30 years later, nation remains at educational risk
While the 30 year old report has its place in history, it yielded no significant legislation and many of the problems it identified have not been solved.
- Proposed Budget Comes up Short for Rural Schools
Equitable support for rural education is a civil rights issue. But the president's proposed 2014 federal budget fails to go far enough in protecting the rights of rural students.
- How to Assess the Real Payoff of a College Degree
"I can't not go to college."
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Montana's Media Arts in Public Schools (MAPS) Vies for $25K Grant
A media arts program in Hamilton is one of 200 finalist organizations in the running for a national, $25,000 grant from State Farm Insurance.
Funding and Building your Business
- Fifty-two 'most inspiring Missoula Public School students' to be recognized at April 25 awards dinner
The students that will be recognized with Most Inspiring Student Awards were nominated by teachers and staff for their classroom achievements, outstanding character, and their commitment to overcome a variety of challenges in their lives.
Energy and Climate Change
- 8 Secrets for Maximizing Startup Equity and Control
The essence of his approach is to dedicate yourself to becoming a frugal minimalist in everything you do.
- The New Philanthropists: More Sophisticated, More Demanding -- and Younger
Are business and philanthropy joining forces earlier than before because technology is trumpeting socially conscious causes into people's consciousness at a younger age? Or have the sins of Wall Street in recent years forced business to take on a more altruistic hue in order to prove to customers -- and other stakeholders -- that business can be beneficent as well as profitable?
- Solar panels could destroy U.S. utilities, according to U.S. utilities
This is not wild-eyed hippie talk. It is the assessment of the utilities themselves.
- Democratic Sen. Baucus rules out 7th term
"I don't want to die here with my boots on. There is life beyond Congress."
- Senator Baucus Doubles Down on Passing North Fork Bill Before Term Ends
"This bill is our chance to leave one of the most special places on earth in better shape than we found it."
- Big Data Week 2013 Rages On in 25 Cities Worldwide
Is your community government giving you access to its data?
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Going To The Sun Road Rally - Montana To The Lake Okanagan Wine Country, BC, 9/7-12, Whitefish, Montana
This is a charity event and all of the proceeds from the rally each year go to benefit a number of Montana organizations and causes. Total charity contributions to date exceed $400,000!
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Montana grad heading up Hollywood film project - Needs your support on Kickstarter
Assuming the funding is in place, Ernst says production on "Olives" will start on May 17 and will run for four days, after which he'll get to work editing. Then he'll work towards getting the film into festivals, which he hopes will include events as big as Sundance Film Festival or the Berlin Film Festival -- or maybe even some of the smaller festivals here in Montana.
- 3D printing company Shapeways gets $30 million boost
Currently, the company provides a place for designers to create products, on demand, using 3D printers and then offers a marketplace for designers to sell their products.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page