|MATR Newsletter - Fri Feb 15, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Welcome to the fight. This time our side is going to win." Victor Laszlo at the end of Casablanca
Missoula gets direct flights to Atlanta, GA http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Montana Ambassadors Annual Meeting (All are invited to participate) , 2/21-22 , Helena, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Zillastate To Host Coffee Talk At Missoula's Merc (old Macy's) Building, 2/20, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
GigaPOP in Missoula
- Move to the Gig
Chattanooga has long been known as a hub for entrepreneurs and innovators. With the advent of the city-wide Gig network, it's rapidly becoming a haven for geeks as well.
- My New FiberHouse in Kansas City - Missoula starts effort to implement GigaPOP
I bought a house in Kansas City on Monday. It's next door to the Homes for Hackers and KC Startup Village. It will have Google Fiber in it. I hope it becomes an integral part of the nation's first Google Fiberhood.
- The Whole Picture: Where America's Broadband Networks Really Stand
The United States needs to invest significantly more in policies and programs that encourage more of our residents to come online and reap the benefits of the broadband Internet.
- NorthWestern Reports 2012 Financial Results
"Our continued focus is to remain committed to funding our distribution system infrastructure project and transmission infrastructure improvements while we seek additional regulated energy supply resources to provide our customers long-term price stability and resource adequacy." Bob Rowe, Chief Executive Officer
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Premium Papers at a Great Value from PrintingForLess.com
PFL is ready to help you decide which paper best suits your personal printing project.
- Winter Montana - "Once I found the mountains of Montana, I stopped traveling." Warren Miller
"Visit Montana now because in a very short time, our waist deep powder will only be knee deep." Warren Miller
- "SHAPED BY MONTANA" Tourism Campaign Wins Platinum Award
"Advertising awards are a nice validation of our work, but what truly excites us is to see how the marketing is delivering results for Montana," said Jeri Duran, Division Administrator for the Montana Office of Tourism. "Year to year we are seeing increases in traveler spending and overall visitation, growth in lodging revenues and occupancy, as well as adding more jobs and tax revenue to Montana's economy."
- Visit Montana - Ski Trails, Yurts and Snowcoaches
Yellowstone in winter is a whole 'nother Park--one where snowcoaches, snowmobilers and cross-country skiers glide over sparkling landscapes; wildlife sightings multiply against a backdrop of white; and--come spring--bikers take over the freshly plowed roads in a car-free coup.
Come Home Montana
- 5 Trends in Economic Development You Can't Ignore... hint - it's about data
If it feels like you're operating under new rules, it's because you are - and you might not even know what they are.
- How four forward-looking accounting firms are finding the value in Business intelligence tools
With the increased availability of comparatively affordable, easier-to-use BI solutions, accounting firms of all sizes are discovering that their use is bringing them better insight on their own practices, as well as their clients' competitive landscape and financial standing.
- Big Data Demand Dominated By Marketing, Sales
Microsoft has kicked off a week of big data news with the results of a survey showing that more than 75 percent of midsize to large businesses are implementing big data-related solutions within the next 12 months.
- Interactive map compares hospital readmission rates nationwide
The national average for medical readmissions was 15.9 percent and for surgical readmissions it was 12.4 percent.
- Utility Mulls Big Data and Security of the Grid
The data that utilities need to analyze often resides on the industrial network, while maintenance records and weather data are on the corporate network. To safely merge data from the two networks onto a single system, Mr. Goff says the platform would have to ensure a one-way flow of data.
- QPID hopes to spark love between hospitals and their patient records
Boston start-up QPID hopes marry the best of big data and biology, allowing doctors and clinicians to sift through Electronic Health Records (EHR) using natural language and historical analysis. The founders say the technology can save lives and money.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Quality Improvement Manager - MT Health Care Providers
Duties: Manage QI programs & patient safety initiatives; use data reporting to measure progress toward deliverables; implement best practice in QI processes & data collection.
- Chad Ekegren Comes Home to Montana to take over Choteau's Alpine Touch
After attending the University of Montana and spending some time back east, Ekegren's plan was always to come back to Montana, and the perfect opportunity arrived at the start of the year.
- Montana Career Opportunities - NOC Administrator, Junior IT Recruiter, Server Administrator, Sr. Network Engineer and more - Arrow Solutions Group
With over 30 years experience in recruiting top technology talent, ASG understands how to meet your mission critical staffing and recruiting needs quickly and effectively.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Project Manager SR II, Health Information Analyst, Health Information Management Representative - Providence St. Patrick Hospital
Providence St. Patrick Hospital is in the thriving college community of Missoula, where you have the amenities of the city
- The Unintended Consequences Of A Leader
This article discusses what happens to businesses when they fail to foster a climate of trust.
- Montana Ambassadors Annual Meeting (All are invited to participate) , 2/21-22 , Helena, Montana
The theme this year is: The New Economy - Strategic Partnerships in Healthcare and Education
Montana Economic Development
- Mobile Minds LLC - Mobile app development here in Missoula, MT
We are a new startup in Missoula devoted to mobile application development.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Community Development Block Grant - Economic Development program
The program anticipates receipt of 1.5 million in CDBG-ED funds this spring from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Eastern Montana Impact Coalition Launches Energy Impact Study
Diverse group working to positively and proactively embrace opportunities and challenges of energy development
- 'Life Of Pi' Author To Deliver 2013 MSU Convocation Lecture, Kick Off 'Year Of Engaged Leadership', 9/5, Bozeman
Yann Martel, author of the award-winning "Life of Pi," which was made into a highly acclaimed motion picture, will speak at Montana State Univeristy's 2013 Freshman Convocation on Sept. 5, and kick off the university's Year of Engaged Leadership.
- Young, Liberal and Open to Big Government in Missoula, Montana
"Young people absolutely believe that there's a role for government."
- Simple Tax Error Could Cost You Thousands
The devil is in the details is the lesson from David and Veronda Durden who were denied a $25,000+ deduction on their tax returns for a charitable contribution they made to their church. Why? Because of a simple technicality.
Oregon Economic Development
- $3 million fund set up to recruit businesses to Idaho
Businesses seeking to tap the fund must first prove they can meet certain economic benchmarks.
- Portland Development Commission contest offers $10,000 grants to startups
The Startup PDX:Challenge offers as many as six startups a $10,000 grant -- not an investment -- plus one year of free office space and professional services donated by Portland law firms, accountants and human resources specialists.
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- New Report Offers State-by-State Analysis of America's Small Businesses
Small businesses are leading most states' economic recovery.
- CenturyLink workers in West closer to striking
CenturyLink and the union have been negotiating for six months on a new contract for 13,000 employees who formerly worked for Qwest Communications.
Utah Economic Development
- How To Fund Commercialization of University Research? Crowdfunding, of Course!
Why not let the consumer and investment community take a greater role?
Washington State Business
- State offers $27.5 million in tax credits to secure pledges that 3 firms agree to add 1,100 jobs
Wages will be at least 125 percent of the county's average annual wage.
- Washington Gov. Inslee reveals $120 million jobs package
"We're rolling out today an action agenda for a working Washington" with an underlying focus on innovation, growing human intellectual capital and aligning the state with the needs of new and expanding industries, Inslee said.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Idaho National Laboratory Study: Important opportunities exist for Wyoming's energy future
"Our partners at UW and INL have done an excellent job in outlining the way forward for Wyoming to generate full value for the energy resources we have been blessed with."
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Just How Dire Is America's Preschool System?
Secretary of Education Arne Duncan recently stressed the need to improve access to early childhood education. He said this will be a vital issue addressed during the president's second term.
- Details of President Obama's Early Learning Plan Emerge
President Obama's plan calls for a new Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership that would expand high-quality Early Head Start and child care for children from birth through age 3.
Montana Education Excellence
- Hundreds turn out to protest Missoula Public Schools superintendent's and call for Trustees to Resign pay raise
"I couldn't help but notice each school board member had nothing but excellent remarks for our superintendent. For this he should clearly be commended," said Sentinel High School senior Nicky Manlove. "Yet it would mean injustice for me as a student at Sentinel High School to watch those who work endlessly for my success neglected and overlooked."
- Montana high school students learn about medical field with hands on practice
Great Falls College offers 21 different health care certificate and degree programs, more than any other two or four-year institution in the state.
- Montana high school students earn dual credits in FVCC GIS course
It's part of an FVCC program called Running Start
- Montana State University sets spring enrollment record
MSU has set new records for spring enrollment the last five years, according to James Rimpau, MSU's vice president of student success.
- Extended Montana State University offers software training courses
Montana State University's Extended University is offering several upcoming courses in graphics and business applications software.
Funding and Building your Business
- TWO New Grants have been added to the MSU Extension website
- Zillastate To Host Coffee Talk At Missoula's Merc (old Macy's) Building, 2/20, Missoula
"The Missoula Downtown Association is eager to help get the lights back on in the Merc," said Melanie Brock, Acting Executive Director of MDA. "This Coffee Talk will help spread the excitement we have for the plans to revitalize this historical anchor of our downtown. We encourage our members and neighbors to join us and see what's taking shape on Higgins."
- SIX New Grants have been added to the MSU Extension website
Energy and Climate Change
- Your Job Ads Are Driving Away Talent
If we want to hire sharp people in our organizations, we need to market to them. We can't assume they'll happily crawl over whatever piles of broken glass we put in front of them (online honesty tests, writing tests, three-week Radio Silence zones, terse auto-responders, and the like) in order to work for us.
- The Best Entrepreneurs Are Older, Have Less Ego
The young Turk thing is a myth.
- Think Like a 5-Year Old (the Best Leaders Do)
Want to grow your business? Reclaim your child-like sense of wonder, that endless curiosity about the world around you.
- Bozeman SCORE 2013 Workshop Series
Confidential SCORE counseling is FREE to entrepreneurs, start-ups, small businesses, and non profits.
- Free guide on business plans available for local tech companies
The guide provides recommendations for high-tech entrepreneurs to answer the questions that potential area investors want answered.
- Government Grants Cost No Equity, But are Not Free
Before you conclude that your funding problems are solved with grants, you should consider the direct and indirect costs of grant funding.
- Workforce Analytics Isn't as Scary as It Sounds and it Really Works
Organizations that use workforce analytics have the most engaged workforces and they thrive in tough conditions. Most importantly, they do fewer headcount reductions because they have lean and efficient workforces to begin with.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Won't you be my solar-panel-buying neighbor?
"People are generally overwhelmed with being sold things and this is much less of a sales program and more of a community education program with an end goal of installing solar."
- Apple Said to Have 100 People Developing Wristwatch Computer
"The iWatch will fill a gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem."
- German Startup Ubitricity's New Way to Recharge Electric Cars
The cost advantage over charging stations will be crucial in attracting organizations and businesses to install Ubitricity plugs, rather than more expensive electric car charging stations.
- Tesla Driving Logs Contradict New York Times Claims
Tweet: "Am not against NYTimes in general. They're usually fair & their own prev Tesla test drive got 300+ miles of range!" Elon Musk
- Missoula gets direct flights to Atlanta, GA
"We're pleased to expand existing Missoula service with a new, convenient nonstop flight to Delta's largest hub in Atlanta,"
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page