|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jan 22, 2013|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible!" - Walt Disney
Startup Weekend wraps up in Missoula with iwillhelpout.com the winner... but everyone who attended won as well. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Missoula Children's Theater to Receive Montana Ambassador Award from Gov. Bullock http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Disability Rights Montana
Montana Department of Commerce
- Mental health for Montana's children
In 2010, nearly one quarter of the nation's children were treated for emotional disorders, according to the Center for Health and Health Care in Schools.
2013 Montana Legislature
- Montana Communities to Receive Commerce Funds Totaling $200,000 for Tourism Related Events
Montana communities of Big Sky, Chinook, Ekalaka, Glasgow, Great Falls, Hamilton, Hardin, Helena, Kalispell, Missoula, Polson and Virginia City will use the SEGP funds to assist in the marketing and promotion of tourism-related events.
- Legislators can play a role in dropout prevention
The Montana Legislature can play a significant role in supporting our local and statewide Graduation Matters dropout prevention efforts by supporting two critical pieces of legislation.
- Montana Ambassadors Annual Meeting (All are invited to participate) , 2/21-22 , Helena, Montana
The theme this year is: The New Economy - Strategic Partnerships in Healthcare and Education
- Governor Bullock Announces Montana Ambassador Awards
"Each year, the men and women involved with the Montana Ambassadors channel their energies into strengthening existing businesses in the state and attracting new ones," Bullock said. "I'm truly impressed with the caliber of the Ambassadors we are honoring this year."
Montana Economic Development
- Bozeman men create mobile game app - "It makes you think"
"You can't really design 'fun,'. You have to keep going at it until you find something that is fun."
- Butte AeroTec: Unintended blast puts facility on the map
"We're on the map, and as word gets out, it's going to result in more and more industries."
- Vann's CEO makes pitches: Electronics, appliance chain owner talks future after industry gathering
The most important thing for us was meeting with all of the major electronics vendors, Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic and others. We met with top management at these companies, and we garnered their support for Vann's and made plans to do business with them moving forward.
Startup Weekend Missoula
- Calif. doctor has plan for Dillon, Montana: Wants to attract tourists, but keep its character
Micha visited Dillon this past week to meet with city leaders and visit the property. He told The Montana Standard that one of the reasons his groups have invested so heavily in Dillon is that he believes the real estate market provides a more stable return than bonds or the stock market.
- Montana entrepreneurs challenged at 3-day competition
"This Startup Weekend is a mini version of an experiment to be able to validate and start the business. There's a big cross-section of people here: experienced, not experienced, all different domains of expertise kind of collaborating on some pretty cool ideas."
- Startup Weekend wraps up in Missoula with iwillhelpout.com the winner... but everyone who attended won as well.
The winning proposal from the weekend event, a website called iwillhelpout.com, which will help match volunteers with non-profit organizations, already had up to $2,500 in potential commitments after two days.
- 8 iPhone apps to help you de-stress in the New Year
The selection of breathing and sleep-aid apps in the iOS App Store can be a bit overwhelming. Here's a round up of the best ones, for beginners, intermediates and the more experienced.
- Secret Ingredient for Success - What happens to organizations and people when they find obstacles in their paths.
No one's idea of a good time is to take a brutal assessment of their animating assumptions and to acknowledge that those may have contributed to their failure.
- Website helps Idaho disabled with jobs
The Idaho State Independent Living Council along with the Idaho Employment for People with Disabilities Stakeholder Group, say the website will connect employers, people with disabilities and people who provide services to the disabled to help with employment.
- New Zealand Tops Our List Of The Best Countries For Business
We determined the Best Countries for Business by grading 141 nations on 11 different factors: property rights, innovation, taxes, technology, corruption, freedom (personal, trade and monetary), red tape, investor protection and stock market performance.
- State labor commission opens grant application process to award funding to projects or initiatives that demonstrate a commitment to workplace safety.
The grant program aims to identify businesses, educational institutions and community agencies that want to establish initiatives that include but are not limited to setting up workshops and training, creating specialized safety programs, expanding resources involving multiple organizations in collaborative efforts.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- The Debate Behind Disability Hiring
A proposed rule would force businesses to hire disabled workers. Why is that making companies with existing disability programs uneasy?
- NYC Hosts Apps Challenge for Education
Different city departments are crowdsourcing answers to problems for two reasons: Others know the answers, and smaller companies have innovative ideas that the government doesn't generally see.
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Can Venture Capital Fix Our Dysfunctional Educational System?
What has VCs so excited is an educational system ready for technology's transformative powers.
- New Cornell Technology School Will Foster Commerce Amid Education
Cornell NYC Tech http://tech.cornell.edu/ , a new graduate school focusing on applied science, is a bold experiment on many fronts.
Montana Education Excellence
- Missoula Children's Theater to Receive Montana Ambassador Award from Gov. Bullock
The Missoula Children's Theater was nominated for the award for promoting Montana on a global basis for over 40 years. During that time, it has performed in every state in the U.S. and on U.S. military bases around the world, as it works to develop life skills in children and spread the goodwill of Montana around the world.
- President Cruzado answers concerns from Montana State University faculty group
"I've always felt the best days of MSU are ahead of us." President Cruzado
- Applications Open For High School Sophomores and Juniors for Free MedStart Summer Camp At UM
MedStart activities will include job shadowing at local health care facilities, health science symposiums and tours, animal organ dissections and guest speakers on many health care topics, as well as exposure to campus life and financial aid guidance. Many social events also will be held.
- Montana State University math/science conference for girls seeks presenters, sponsors
Businesses and organizations who are interested in financial or in-kind sponsorships are also encouraged to participate.
- Montana kids learn about winning science projects
"We want them to consider science as a career," Reviczky-Dolan said. "Get them excited about it, reward them for it. It's the world we live in. If you're curious about why things happen, why things work, you should be interested in science"
- Montana Digital Academy picking up steam
The Montana Digital Academy http://www.montanadigitalacademy.org/ , or MTDA, is 3 years old, and as leaders from School District 2 have learned to utilize it, they've seen good things happen in the lives of their students.
Funding and Building your Business
- Native American Credit Counseling -Helping all people achieve financial security
The Native American Credit Counseling Program (NACC) is now registering for the winter cohort.
- How Walkable Communities are Key to Modern Geopolitics - The Challenge of Bringing Walkability to America's 99 Percent
The U.S. must lead the global transition to sustainability.
Connectivity & Communications
- Social Impact Investing Will Be the New Venture Capital
Just as the formation of the venture capital industry ushered a new approach and mindset toward funding innovation within the private sector, impact investment has started to bring opportunities to harness entrepreneurship and capital markets to drive social improvement. This in time will bring much needed change to the social sector.
- Bozeman Technology Incubator
We provide Montana technology entrepreneurs advice and mentoring to help you grow your business.
- Start Here if You are Looking for Angel Investors
The challenge is to find the right Angel for you, and for your situation. Here are some basic principles:
- Dream Jobs You've Never Heard of: Director of User Experience for Obama for America Campaign
According to his Web site, "Jason Kunesh is in the midst of a lover's quarrel with technology."
- How to Empower Employees by Asking Questions
One experiment you can try is to spend an entire conversation asking only questions.
- 19 Brilliant Business Lessons From Moneyball
Whatever you do, don't sit on the fence. Commit to something. Don't hedge. Give it all you have. Make it your life's first occupation. If you can't get excited about it -- find something else.
- The Most Important Quality In An Entrepreneur Is Not Honesty Or Integrity...
Great entrepreneurs, Horowitz said, have two key qualities:
- 10 most innovative companies in the world
Some of the biggest patent recipients last year are barely profitable, or are losing money.
- 8 Ways to Come Up With a Business Idea
Key, who has licensed more than 20 products in the last 25 years, says he generates ideas by finding different ways to engage his mind, from walking the aisles of stores to brainstorming about holes in the marketplace.
- Financing options for business owners who want to buy a building
"With SBA financing the major benefits to the business owner are that the buyer needs to contribute only 10 percent as a down payment, which helps conserve cash for the business owner to run their business."
- Startups Need the Right Team Mindset to Survive
Every startup better lead with these:
- Even if it enrages your boss, social net speech is protected
The National Labor Relations Board says workers have a right to discuss work conditions freely and without fear of retribution, whether the discussion takes place at the office or on Facebook.
- Broadband Improvement Could Fuel Insourcing
According to an August report study from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, approximately 19 million people live in areas where highspeed Internet isn't available.
- Funding Available For Montana Projects to support historical research, creative writing and wilderness studies projects that explore Montana's land and people.
Projects should encourage mindful stewardship of the land and contribute to the preservation of Montana's heritage. Proposals from individuals will take precedence over those from institutions. The endowment committee recommends projects that can be completed in one year.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- How To Not Be A D*** Calling Tech Support And Maybe Even DIY Your Own Fix
If you've ever been thanked for your feedback, someone has daydreamed about lining your mouth hole with staples.
- Youth expelled from Montreal college after finding 'sloppy coding' that compromised security of 250,000 students personal data
"I saw a flaw which left the personal information of thousands of students, including myself, vulnerable," said Mr. Al-Khabaz. "I felt I had a moral duty to bring it to the attention of the college and help to fix it, which I did. I could have easily hidden my identity behind a proxy. I chose not to because I didn't think I was doing anything wrong."
- 10 Technologies That Turned Our Heads: 2013 CES in Pictures [Slide Show]
Scientific American's trip to this year's International Consumer Electronics Show turned up some oddities
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page