|MATR Newsletter - Tue Dec 4, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Montana- Too Big to Think Small"
U Of M Entrepreneurship Club Presents - "The Business Of Big Data", 12/4, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4394 --- City Club Missoula Presents: A University For The Global Century Featuring UM President Royce Engstrom, 12/10 http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Early Registrants Get Special Deals for 2013 Made in Montana Marketplace
"The Made in Montana Marketplace is a one-stop-shop for wholesale buyers looking for something authentically Montana," said Dore Schwinden, Director of the Montana Department of Commerce.
- Polebridge, Montana Hibernates for the Winter
This cyclic rhythm is what keeps Polebridge and the North Fork alive - the place, the people, the river, the critters. Like the bears, there are elements of life here that possess a need - a physical and psychic need - to hibernate so they can be restored.
Come Home Montana
- GE looking into stakes in data-harvesting tech startups
General Electric may make venture capital investments in technology startups and consider acquisitions as it ramps up offerings of software designed to analyze data harvested from its industrial equipment.
- Five Characteristics VCs Look For in a Marketing Exec
1. They Think and Speak in Metrics
- The Open Data Institute - Knowledge for Everyone
It will unlock supply, generate demand, create and disseminate knowledge to address local and global issues.
- DATA.GOV and DATA.GOV.UK BlueButton - Opening up Government
About Data.gov The purpose of Data.gov is to increase public access to high value, machine readable datasets generated by the Executive Branch of the Federal Government.
- Blue Button give you access to your healthcare information
Giving people online access to their medical records or claims information can enable them to become informed and empowered partners in their own health and health care.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Montana Career Opportunities - Director/Vice President of Engineering, Software Developer - TerraEchos, Inc.
erraEchos is an exciting, cutting-edge technology company that's addressing complex and serious real-world problems. We are interested in expanding our team with the right mix of talented software developers, engineers, technical sales and customer support people, and professionals with operations, finance, or marketing expertise.
- Montana Economic Developers Association December 2013 News
Report: Regional Economic Development Strategies in Montana
- Regional Economic Development Strategies in Montana
The focus in this document is on the regions within the state, but it is important to look at some of the strategies that are relevant across the state.
- Making it in Montana: Yellowstone Systems changes along with technology
He is collaborating with Billings businessman Phil Keith, who has developed an electronic gift card that can be purchased and delivered using a smart phone.
- Missoula-based biotech startup looking to expand - Rocky Mountain Biologicals Inc.
"Any child susceptible to RSV or who gets RSV will get vaccinated with a component we're making here in Missoula, Montana," Daniel said. "It's a huge milestone."
- Montana SBA District Newsletter
Do you know of a Montana Small Business Person who deserves recognition?
City Club Missoula
- Your First Job? Think About Retirement.
Most people in their 20s aren't planning for when they will leave the workforce. That's a big mistake.
- City Club Missoula Presents: A University For The Global Century Featuring UM President Royce Engstrom, 12/10
UM President Royce Engstrom will discuss the new Global Leadership Initiative http://umt.edu/gli/ , international education, research and discovery that will drive our economy and quality of life.
- Focus Entrepreneurship Policy on Scale-Up, Not Start-Up
Extraordinary value creation cannot occur without growth, and entrepreneurial growth post start-up has numerous challenges which can be an order of magnitude more difficult than simply starting a venture.
- Montana Gov.-elect Bullock announces administration leaders - Pam Bucy, Meg O'Leary, and Mike Batista
“This is a group of Montanans that truly does reflect our values, that believe in working hard, playing by the rules and, as lifelong Montanans, they know how bright and how great this state can truly be,” Bullock said.
- Montana Gov. Schweitzer stokes 2016 intrigue
I won't have a driver, I won't have security, so I will have a little time on my hands. I think I did mention that I have a warm regard for the people of Iowa and New Hampshire."
- Idaho National Laboratory gives state $826 million boost
In addition to the hundreds of millions those contractors have pumped into eastern Idaho's economy since 2008, their business has created 16,000 jobs statewide.
Regional Economic Development
- Boise, Idaho is a medical battleground
Boise's experience reflects a growing national trend toward consolidation.
- Technology is king down on the farm - Computers, GPS, hybrid seeds bring new stability to crop yields
"Precision ag is all about the right product, in the right amount, in the right place, at the right time."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- West Is Best: Protected Lands Promote Jobs and Higher Incomes
As the West's economy shifts toward a knowledge-based economy, new research shows that protected federal public lands support faster rates of job growth and are correlated with higher levels of per capita income.
- New York Times 3 Part Investigation - Do Economic Incentives Improve Economic Success in a Community? - As Companies Seek Tax Deals, Governments Pay High Price
"Many times a community won't even make the short list unless it is willing to offer some kind of incentive."
- Global water crisis: too little, too much, or lack of a plan? - Gov. Schweitzer asks Obama not to release Fort Peck water
Why do experts in science, economics, and development warn that a "global water crisis" threatens the stability of nations and the health of billions?
- iPad app targets preschool learning market - Leo's Pad
Built into it are interactive activities to help preschoolers, its target audience, learn skills such as shapes and colors.
- Urban Video Game Academy
The mission of the Urban Video Game Academy (UVGA) http://uvga.org/index.htm is to better prepare students in disadvantaged areas for postsecondary education and technology careers by teaching them the fundamentals of video game design and development.
- Summit Public Schools - Breaking dow the walls - Blend my Learning Success
"How does a no excuses, high-support model both intensively shepherd students through a rigorous, college-prep curriculum and give students the skills they need to be successful once they are on their own in college?"
- Computer vision system can help diagnose autism in toddlers
Early intervention can greatly improve the outlook for autistic people.
Montana Education Excellence
- State creates master plan for improving higher education
This master plan will measure areas such as retention and access, and it calls for schools to be monitored for five years, with each school's results announced annually. In time, the hope is that schools will be rewarded financially by the state for reaching their benchmarks.
Universities and Economic Development
- The Montana Office of Public Instruction - 21st Century Community Learning Centers
Information and resources for sub-grantees, school staff, parents, students, and community members on 21st CCLC programs in Montana.
- $18,500 Boeing grant provides free interactive teaching kits designed to engage Montana students in science, technology, engineering and math.
With a recent grant from the Boeing Corp., area teachers will have improved access to about 40 free interactive teaching kits designed to engage students in science, technology, engineering and math.
- Montana student aid program goes digital
All the schools have a priority deadline. For most schools in Montana it is March 1st. [The] University of Montana deadline is February 15th.
- University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University join with Cowboy Technologies, LLC, and i2E, Inc. to Create Oklahoma Proof of Concept Center
"The beauty of this collective approach is that we aren't duplicating or adding infrastructure to the technology transfer process," said Rex Smitherman, interim President and CEO of i2E. "We're sharing and leveraging our individual resources to move innovative technologies from the laboratory to the marketplace to increase deal flow."
- Innovative University of Florida Program Honored by the Association of University Technology Managers
Ten organizations gave presentations on their most innovative technology transfer programs, and attendees voted to select a favorite.
Funding and Building your Business
Energy and Climate Change
- 6 Core Elements of Winning Startup Launch Content
Even great products need great marketing "content" to fuel the ascent of their online message.
- Choosing the Right (and Most Profitable) Market for Your Business
It's important to ask yourself these questions to determine if you are going after the right market:
- How to Spot a Bad Customer Before It's Too Late
Nothing is more agonizing than difficult customers.
- More Entrepreneurs Embrace Conscious Capitalism
Conscious capitalism is dedicated to advancing humanity, while using tried and proven business principles.
- Why health systems are launching venture capital funds
Increasing numbers of hospitals and health systems are smartly allocating money to venture funds that have free reign to find truly disruptive new businesses.
- A 4-step guide to finding the right VC
It is essential for entrepreneurs to do their homework in advance.
- 10 wrong reasons to launch a startup
Consider all the alternatives to starting your own business, especially if you have one of the following perspectives:
- Innovation Accounting: A Necessary Part of Any "Lean Startup"
While standard accounting policies and procedures are an integral part of any successful business, particularly larger corporations, they are not necessarily beneficial in evaluating entrepreneurial endeavors, especially early on.
- Summit (Entrepreneur Conference Organizers) To Buy Powder Mountain Ski Resort To Create Entrepreneur Community
The goal is to create a community of like-minded entrepreneurs who dig the Summit ethos of innovation, art and social impact with some hard partying mixed in.
- Lean Usability Testing
Six quick and powerful steps for conducting lean usability tests for startups, or teams within a separate silo of a larger corporation.
- How to Build a Startup - Online Course with Steve Blank
Steve Blank is a seasoned Silicon Valley entrepreneur. Translation: he has failed and--more often--succeeded, in a 21-year career building 8 Valley startups, including several with major IPO's.
- The One-Minute Change That Will Transform Your Company
Can a single behavior elevate an entire organization? It can--if it's the right behavior.
- 10 Course Corrections Every Startup Should Memorize - "The Lean Startup"
This reality has fostered a popular startup approach which dramatically improves the efficiency and speed of these corrections, pioneered by Silicon Valley entrepreneur and author Eric Ries. His popular book on this subject, "The Lean Startup," lays out how today's entrepreneurs use continuous innovation to create radically successful businesses.
- Venture capital conference in Utah issues last call for participants
It is an opportunity for high-growth companies to get introduced to venture capitalists, angel investors, corporate investors and private equity groups that are interested in helping fund promising new enterprises.
Connectivity & Communications
- A human-caused climate change signal emerges from the noise
"It's very unlikely that purely natural causes can explain these distinctive patterns of temperature change," says Laboratory atmospheric scientist Benjamin Santer, who is lead author of the paper appearing online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- 13 things to know about California's cap-and-trade program
State regulators are celebrating California's first-ever auction of greenhouse gas emissions allowances held Nov. 14. So what exactly happened? Why does it matter? And what happens next?
- Western Governors' report examines role water transfers can play in meeting new demands
"With so many new citizens and industries settling in the water-scarce West, now is the time to evaluate how we use transfers in our approach to providing water."
- Creating Your Smart Grid - A H o w - T o G u i d e
Secure, Manage, Integrate, and Extend Your Smart Grid Network with Communications Technology
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR)
- Dubai Internet conference threatens our wide Web world
Next week nearly 200 countries will gather to debate the question of who’s in charge of the Internet. The answer could detrimentally change the nature of a digital resource that in no time at all has become like air and water.
- BHI SBIR/STTR Commercial Relevance Program (CRP)
When small companies fail to take all of these factors into account, they naturally develop a negative record with the funding agency, hurting future opportunities.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Video: This Is How Reddit Was Born
How did the site get its start? Reddit http://www.reddit.com/ founders Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian discuss how the site went from startup to global social newspaper.
- Fried food taste without all the fat
A new cooking method keeps the flavor and consistency of fried food but has up to 50 percent less fat and fewer calories.
- Indestructible Robot Could Be Next Big-Money Drone
Researchers at the Illinois Institute of Technology have developed a small flying robot that uses a cage to protect itself.
- Apple's Wireless-Charging Patent Might Actually Free Us From Wires
Apple thinks it has a better way, and has filed a patent on it.
- Staples Announces In-Store 3-D Printing Service
A new service called "Staples Easy 3D" will allow customers to upload their designs to Staples' website, then pick up the printed objects at their local office supply megastore, or have them shipped to their home or business -- not unlike the photo- and document-printing service the company already offers.
- Your next electric car.
Lit Motors designs and develops innovative and environmentally-conscious transportation solutions for our growing world.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page