|MATR Newsletter - Tue Nov 13, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein
Grateful Nation Montana hats at Bob Ward's and online help raise scholarship money for the children of fallen soldiers http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Vann's announces new CEO, pledges return to core business http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
- Montana is ideal place to store data, says iConnect executive Andy York
"We have fairly low-cost power, no sales tax and we're in a 100-year flood plain," he said. "You mix it all up in this neat little soup and we win."
- How 3Tier Wind Forecasts Enable the Northwest Smart Grid
"Wind is predictable with a high degree of accuracy a day or two in advance. That's really all the grid needs to successfully integrate it."
Come Home Montana
- McKinsey & Company - Every organization needs to be putting big data and advanced analytics to work now
Leaders need to transform their organizations so that frontline managers are comfortable using the potent new tools.
- Venture capital picks up the Moneyball strategy - Relying on gut instinct simply isn't good enough.
If algorithms can predict the results of elections, why not the success or failure of a tech startup or an acquisition?
- hack/reduce: On a Mission to Make Boston the World Center of Excellence for Big Data
"hack/reduce is about engagement, education and innovation"
- Call it practical, actionable, or useful, just don't call it big in healthcare conversations
...by focusing on, and frankly scaring people with, the term "big data" we're undermining the potential immediate utility of all kinds of data.
- Obama's Victory Is a Win for Big Data
"The Obama campaign targeted the nine states that were competitive, and they engaged in a very focused effort to get the majority of votes in those states," said Halperin. "In almost every one of those states, they hit their targets perfectly."
- Montana Career Opportunities - Production Manager, Purchasing Agent, Missoula Job Service
A premier aluminum trailer manufacturer locating a new manufacturing facility in the Missoula, MT, area is seeking a top-notch experienced Production Manager and Purchasing Agent to join their team in pursuit of the company's aggressive manufacturing initiatives.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Financial Analyst - Kalispell Regional Medical Center
Seeking individual who will be primarily responsible for the overall management and coordination of the pharmacy 340(b) program for all qualified entities within the organization.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Intern Student Engineer Numerical Control Programmer, Fabrication Specialist AB and more..., Boeing
Boeing Helena is hiring for multiple positions.
Montana Economic Development
- Missoula, Montana's Submittable raises $750K to replace email (for real this time)
Frankly, Submittable sounds like the tool that I would want to use instead of email even if I were only receiving a few messages each day.
- Cablevision considering sale of Optimum/Bresnan
"While it's not been our intention to divest this valuable asset, based on the approaches that we received, we have decided to explore a potential transaction," chief executive and president James Dolan told financial analysts.
- Vann's announces new CEO, pledges return to core business
"I want to focus on Montana," said Regelbrugge. "I don't want to be everything to everyone."
- Lake County, Montana's Community Development's Fall Newsletter
The Mission of Lake County Community Development Corporation is to enhance the quality of life and economic well-being of all residents of Northwest Montana with a primary focus on serving Lake County and the Flathead Indian Reservation.
- Headwaters RC&D Area, Inc. Small Business Development Center Quarterly Newsletter
Every great idea needs a little help now and then. Let us help craft a plan and find the people, resources, and energy to make yours a reality.
Come Home Oregon
- TiVo's veteran internships provide a model for other companies
Hey, we have college internships. Why not have military internships?
- CEO tells '60 Minutes' traditional career path is 'dead' (+Video)
"That's not working. It's absolutely not working anymore. I would say it's dead in every level of society."
Come Home Wyoming
- Oregon Career Opportunity - GIS Specialist II/III Position - Portland General Electric
If you're looking for a new opportunity in an essential, dynamic industry, consider becoming a part of our PGE team.
Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- Wyoming Career Opportunity - Business Analyst - Sheridan Memorial Hospital
Ideal candidate has previous IT experience, is detail oriented, organized, critically thinking in a fast-paced environment, effective communicator & provides service excellence to all.
- Flynn's Harp: SEC pace on JOBS Act rules worries angels
Angel-investor leaders are concerned that the SEC's deliberations may produce rules that make it harder for entrepreneurs to raise money from those wealthier individuals, referred to as "accredited" investors.
- The state of North Idaho
"We don't want this town to become another Aspen, Colo., or Jackson Hole, Wyo."
- In Sandy's Aftermath, Epic Challenges for Data Centers
As SuperStorm Sandy brought destruction and death to the East Coast, data centers in New York and New Jersey faced extraordinary challenges. Here's a look back at the storm and its aftermath, as chronicled in our coverage at Data Center Knowledge.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Mining company blames Obama for its 102 Utah lay offs
The layoffs are necessary because of the president's "war on coal," the statement said.
Montana Education Excellence
- "Brooklyn Castle" - Imagine a school where the cool kids are the chess team... welcome to I.S. 318
BROOKLYN CASTLE tells the stories of five members of the chess team at a below-the-poverty-line inner city junior high school that has won more national championships than any other in the country.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS: Continued Investment in Child Care and Early Education is Critical to Business and America's Future
Business leaders and policymakers should consider investment in young children one of the most effective strategies to secure the future economic strength of their communities and the nation.
- Given Tablets but No Teachers, Ethiopian Children Teach Themselves
Earlier this year, OLPC workers dropped off closed boxes containing the tablets, taped shut, with no instruction. "I thought the kids would play with the boxes. Within four minutes, one kid not only opened the box, found the on-off switch ... powered it up. Within five days, they were using 47 apps per child, per day. Within two weeks, they were singing ABC songs in the village, and within five months, they had hacked Android," Negroponte said. "Some idiot in our organization or in the Media Lab had disabled the camera, and they figured out the camera, and had hacked Android."
Funding and Building your Business
- Extension (of education opportunities to all ) remains vital to America's future, MSU's Cruzado tells national APLU group
Cruzado said that "classifications, thick as walls," now separate those who believe that Extension should serve its traditional populations, or people living in rural areas, and those who believe that Extension should provide urban services, such as those that provide service in community development programs.
- Montana students gather to learn about leadership, community involvement
This year's theme is "Belonging".
Energy and Climate Change
- ELON MUSK: 'If We Published Patents, It Would Be Farcical'
"We have essentially no patents in SpaceX. Our primary long-term competition is in China," said Musk in the interview. "If we published patents, it would be farcical, because the Chinese would just use them as a recipe book."
- Pitch-o-matic: Harvard Business School will help you craft your elevator speech
To help entrepreneurs get started writing a solid pitch, the Harvard Business School created a nifty interactive tool that breaks the process down into five steps.
- When Google Wants To Buy Your Startup, It Sends You An Email That Looks Like This
So what does an acquisition email from Google look like, anyway?
- Your Competitors Have a Lot to Teach You
"Entrepreneurs have a tendency toward overconfidence, and can underestimate what they can learn from their future competitors."
- Companies help reduce veteran joblessness - 5 ways to stock your talent pipeline with veterans
Even without the tax credits, employers have been stepping up with their own veterans' outreach.
- Don't Look For Investors for All the Wrong Reasons
Over 90 percent of all businesses are started and grown with no equity financing, and many others would have been better off without it.
- 6 Clues That You May Be Cool as an Entrepreneur
Here is a list of mentality characteristics which I believe are absolutely necessary for you as an entrepreneur to see in yourself.
- Request for Proposals: Transmission Task Force Facilitator and Technical Siting Consultant
The Western Governors' Association recently launched a Task Force to improve the process for siting transmission line projects.
- Climate models predicting greater warming appear more accurate - Scientists at Missoula climate workshop relate changes to forest users
Based on the relative humidity metric, those models predicting a 7-degree increase and above appear to be the most accurate, according to the study. Or you can say the Smokey Bear fire danger signs will read "high" to "extreme" 22 to 30 days a summer, instead of the current 15, by 2040.
- The scientific truth about climate change
"There's only a small fraction of skeptics who want to deny that the increase of greenhouse gases is due to mankind. Most of them actually accept that."
- Post-Sandy and post-election, will political taboo on climate change be lifted?
"No one is better placed than the president to help Americans understand both the risks of a warming climate and the opportunities of a clean-energy transition."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Grateful Nation Montana hats at Bob Ward's and online help raise scholarship money for the children of fallen soldiers
"We're testing this on Veterans Day with a hat we'll put in place at Bob Ward's http://www.bobwards.com/ ," said McGann. "Frankly, it would have been easier to just write a check, but part of this is raising awareness. If it resonates, we'll expand it for Grateful Nation Montana, and there's no reason why it has to stay in Montana."
- TED Thinks These 21 Young Innovators Are Going To Change The World
They come from all over the world and range from scientists to artists to entrepreneurs. Keep an eye out for them in the future:
- Bladeless Wind Turbine Inspired by Sails
Here's a cool concept for wind energy: a turbine that doesn't have blades. What's so bad about blades? They can kill birds and bats and some people think they're too loud.
- In the Netherlands, bike paths heated during winter months
Transportation entrepreneurs in other wintry parts of the world: one for inspiration?
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page