|MATR Newsletter - Tue Nov 6, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Have you ever hung up on a caller three times before figuring out it's a company that wants to buy your company?" The University of Montana's Entrepreneur Club Hosts Three of Missoula's Best and Most Successful Entrepreneurs http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
City Club Missoula Presents: MONTANA'S UPCOMING 2013 STATE LEGISLATURE, 11/12 http://www.matr.net/ev ... =4379 --- Do Millennials Want to Call Your City 'Home'? http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
- Inside The Pivot - The Story Of Finding The Answer To The One Question Every Startup CEO Should Ask
At what point do you decide that the idea is broken and needs to be reinvented? How do you then decide to reinvent the idea?
- Update of power grid in Inland Northwest has begun
The grid represents the "merger of the Internet with the electric grid," said Anne Haas, spokeswoman for the PNW Smart Grid Demonstration Project.
Arrow Solutions Group
- The Big Data Challenge: How to Develop a Winning Strategy
Big Data is exciting stuff, but don't take my word for it. Ask the Academy of Arts and Sciences, who nominated Moneyball -- a movie about Big Data -- for six Oscars. If Hollywood is on board, you know Big Data has gone mainstream.
- Vine Nerds: How Data Is Revolutionizing the Art of Winemaking
To a growing cadre of A-list winemakers, there's actionable intelligence in the data. Many of Fruition's clients are altering their irrigation techniques, turning laggard vineyards into top performers and using far less water than they ever imagined.
- Behavioral Data and the Future of Predictive Policing
In the future, behavioral data and clues from virtual interactions may help cops stop bad guys before they've even drawn up a plan.
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
- Montana Career Opportunities - Strategic Business Manager/CEO, Business Development Manager, Senior IT Program Manager and more... - Arrow Solutions Group
As the top technical talent resource for the Northern Rockies and Northern Plains, we understand who will work best for you, both for the short term and the long term.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Blackfoot Expands Business Reach with Latest Acquisition
"With this acquisition we are gaining strong talent and innovative technology that builds on Blackfoot's successful IP network. It allows us to offer a new world of more competitive services to business customers in Montana and the region through the use of Cutthroat's advanced wireless and fiber connectivity."
Highway 12 Ventures
- Developer offers to sell north property to Great Falls Development Authority
An initial reaction to Stanek's trial balloon was not positive at the GFDA offices.
- Highway 12 Funded Vico Software Acquired By Trimble
Trimble said the asset acquisition will help extend its solutions for building construction.
Come Home Montana
- Vision Net of Great Falls feel Hurricane Sandy's effects
"My biggest concern, beyond the longer hours our staff members were working, is sympathy for the people back East who've been impacted so greatly by the storm," Ferris said. "We made sure our staff always kept in mind that people at the other end of the line were going through a lot of stress in their lives."
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Programmer - Axiom4
We are looking for the right person(s) to add to our software development team and are interested in both experienced developers and new graduates.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Developer - Fidano, LLC
This full-time position is located at the Fidano office in Whitefish, MT; however, telecommuting is also an option
- Montana Career Opportunities - Energy Engineer, Technical Writer - The National Center for Appropriate Technology
Interested in working for a great nonprofit that works to promote sustainable technologies and systems? The National Center for Appropriate Technology is recruiting for two positions:
- Get Me Out of Here: Climbing the 'M' at the University of Montana
After a few switchbacks, Katie Heaney was pretty sure she was about to die
- Montana Career Opportunity - Business Banker - Rocky Mountain Bank
Individual will perform all duties associated with Commercial Banker by originating new commercial relationships and cross selling of existing clients.
- 6 Things That Can Kill Your City's Startup Community
Instead of waiting for someone to offer a helping hand, or packing up the U-Haul and moving across the country, try taking the entrepreneurial approach and turning your home town into a high-tech startup community.
- Do Millennials Want to Call Your City 'Home'?
You know the story: Kids move to where they want to live and then look for a job, not the other way around. They're drawn to a small number of hip metro areas (D.C., San Francisco, Seattle) and smaller cities (Boulder, Colo.; Missoula, Mont.; Palo Alto, Calif.) around the country and hip employers follow them. The result is an upward cycle of talent and jobs and business growth in the fashionable places, and a downward cycle everywhere else.
Montana Economic Development
- Legal Atlas wins top prize in international competition!
The prize includes 50,000 euros in development services!
- Red Oxx nearly done with new factory in Billings, Montana
Over two decades, Red Oxx has evolved from a basement business that Markel's father started into a manufacturer and worldwide distributor of rugged travel luggage and other gear.
- Lifeline Dairy in Victor, Montana known for its organic cheese making
Stevensville still hosts the Creamery Picnic every year as a testament to the importance of dairy farmers to the town's history, and the large Creamery Building in Hamilton now houses insurance companies and other businesses. While others have come and gone, Lifeline is still going strong.
- Sandy recovery crews use technology from Flathead company Nomad Global Communication Solutions
Nomad Global Communication Solutions is an industry leading provider of Mobile Communication platforms. We provide custom engineered specialty vehicles and communication solutions to agencies and companies within the Emergency Management, Energy, Mining and Medical industries.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Canadian firm plans Great Falls steel plant
ADF Group CEO and board chairman Jean Paschini says the company plans to hire up to 300 people to work inside the manufacturing facility and 800 people in the yard to do assembly work as it looks at markets in North Dakota, South Dakota and Idaho.
- Frenchtown, Montana mill site owner won't use money from redevelopment grant
It would have helped fund the feasibility study portion of a larger redevelopment plan, providing information on what industries would best fit the site.
- UM Global Leadership Initiative Hosts 3 World Famous Climbers - "Adventures at Altitude" - UM students made 2nd recorded ascent of Teton on 'a lark' in 1923
"They didn't even know what the Grand Teton was. They saw it on a map and thought, 'We would like to climb that.' "
Warren Miller Freedom Foundation
- Attention, wannapreneurs: Here's one way to stop dreaming and start doing
"A startup entrepreneur is someone who has put all the chips in the middle and quit all their other jobs. It's ok to be a napkin entrepreneur," he said, "there's nothin' wrong with those, they're the foot soldiers. But you haven't done a startup until you're working without a net."
- Does Entrepreneurship Education Still Matter?
Both the general public and would-be entrepreneurs strongly believe in the importance of entrepreneurship and the power of entrepreneurial education.
Come Home Idaho
- Predicting Business Leadership Excellence
If you've ever been fired because the boss just didn't appreciate you, or you've left a job because of a boss you just could not stand to work for one more moment, or because you just knew there were options that would be so much more fulfilling, you know what I'm talking about.
- For 'retirees,' golfing is out and working is in
"What's different now is that baby boomers are either continuing to work much longer or approaching work not as an afterthought but as a pillar of their 'retirement' plans."
Come Home Oregon
- Web portal showcases Idaho tech jobs
The Labor Department spent more than six months making the site user-friendly. It took longer than expected, in part because the department's own Web designer and programmers moved on to other jobs.
City Club Missoula
- WorkSource Oregon launches mobile jobs site
Jobseekers don't need to be registered with the state's WorkSource system to access the sites, according to a press release issued by the Oregon Employment Department.
Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- City Club Missoula Presents: MONTANA'S UPCOMING 2013 STATE LEGISLATURE, 11/12
When the 2013 Montana Legislature convenes in January, what issues will top its agenda? What new laws will be enacted? How will it view Montana's future tax policy?
Oregon Economic Development
- 8 Questions Investors Use to Bypass Startup Hype
Don't let management divert you with comments on your failure to understand "the vision and the big picture."
Regional Economic Development
- Salesforce picked Portland -- but how well did Oregon play the incentives game?
Oregon economic development officers knew they were competing against Salt Lake City for Salesforce's outpost, and state officials here said they believed -- incorrectly, it turns out -- their rivals had also offered lucrative incentives.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- National Award for Improving Regional Economies Through Science, Technology and Innovation Presented to Six Organizations
"These organizations are helping to lead our nation's economic recovery and their successes further substantiate the value of tech-based initiatives for regional economic growth," said Dan Berglund, SSTI President and CEO.
- Improving High School Graduation Rates
With the generous support of K12, we've put together this collection of stories from our archives, along with other relevant information, to help you boost graduation rates in your own schools.
- The disruption of education: How technology is helping students teach themselves
And the disruption is just beginning.
- TED Video: Sugata Mitra: The child-driven education
A teacher who can be replaced by a computer... should be.
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Elite education for the masses
For universities, the word for it is revolutionary. And higher education's elite is in the vanguard.
- National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship
We believe community colleges are in an ideal position to further entrepreneurship based on their accessibility and local ties to their communities.
Montana Education Excellence
- Missoula Community Theatre Auditions The Marvelous Wonderettes , 11/18, Missoula
The Missoula Community Theatre seeks four actresses with strong vocal abilities.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Hack-a-thon competition set for this Friday (11/09) at University of Montana
"Everyone will be broken into teams and judged based on how well their code runs, and how well they worked as a team."
- 4 candidates for UM chief information officer to visit campus
Four candidates for the position of chief information officer for the University of Montana will visit campus in November and December.
- The University of Montana's Entrepreneur Club Hosts Three of Missoula's Best and Most Successful Entrepreneurs
How about the Missoula company with no debt, no investors and only 5 employees making millions with an 85+% profit margin that is now part of Dell?
Funding and Building your Business
- ADU Missoula
The city of Missoula has a shortage of affordable homes and a very low rental vacancy rate.
Making the Most of the American Prairie
- NVCA Model Legal Docs Updated for 2012 - Road Tested & Increasingly Valuable
NVCA wishes to thank the large number of expert law firm attorneys across the country in-house counsel at VC firms who have shaped these valuable documents over the years.
- The Next Wave of Process Strategy
The question for top management is no longer whether your organization's processes need to be improved, but rather which ones, how much, and when.
- 10 Keys To An Accountable Entrepreneur Role Model
An entrepreneur's first requirement is to hire or team only with people who are accountable (already have the confidence and skills you need) - training them on the job is prohibitively expensive when you have minimal income.
- 7 Keys to Positioning Your Competitors to Investors
What you say speaks volumes about how you think about your startup, how smart you are, and your personal integrity.
- The Best Ways to Fire Somebody Or, how not to make a bad situation even worse
Don't dawdle. Make the notification as soon as you make the decision
- Montana's Glaciated Plains: Thinking Big Across Time and Space - American Prairie Reserve
I have become increasingly convinced that APR's vision is necessary. If we want to understand the behavior and ecology of grassland species, we need to think big.
- Government Employees Want Better Collaboration
"Our recent research reveals that government employees need to create more collaborative communities to manage communications both inside and outside their organizations, connecting with other agencies, citizens and government consultants," said GovDelivery CEO Scott Burns.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Nonprofits invited to exhibit at MSU's International Mountain Day
International Mountain Day is a United Nations-initiated celebration that takes place throughout the world as an opportunity to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life, to highlight the opportunities and constraints in mountain development, and to build partnerships that will bring positive change to the world's mountains and highlands.
- Is Additive Manufacturing/3D Printing Just The Beginning?
His description and demonstration of Additive Manufacturing/3D technology is very interesting but what really struck me was his overall view of how creativity and selling products might change in the future.
- Excellent Idea of the Day: Glow-in-the-Dark Roads
The paint will also be used to let drivers know when roads might be slippery. When the temperature falls to a certain point, glow-in-the-dark snowflakes will appear to alert the driver.
- Frontier Airlines dropping Billings market early next year
"This industry is getting smaller and smaller," Binford said, adding that Frontier apparently was hemmed in by other carriers.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page