|MATR Newsletter - Fri Jul 13, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
TONIGHT!!!! - Limited time 100% off coupon code: "mt" to attend: IdeaMensch An Evening With A Community Of People Who Bring Ideas To Life, 7/13, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- How an Entrepreneurs' Conference Can Help Your Career http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
- You should be in Montana building your business - living your dream - Business Resources Guide Book
This site is intended to give business owners, Montana communities and local development organizations information, technical assistance and financing to help start or expand business in Montana.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- 3 Solid Reasons to Explore a Data Quality Program
From 15 to 45 percent of the operating expense of most organizations is wasted because of data quality issues.
- Flying the Zip Line - Whitefish Mountain Resort adds new zip line to summer activities
"It's exhilarating," Clifford says afterward. "You wish you could keep going forever."
Come Home Montana
- Guest column: Common-sense conservation good for Montana business, too
Quality public lands and open spaces are critical to not only our recreation-based businesses, but also to our tech, manufacturing, and health-based businesses, offering fundamental tools for recruiting employers dedicated to creating healthy and productive communities and high value jobs across Montana.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunities - IT Tech, Applications Developer, .NET Developer, Business Intelligence Developer, and many others, Arrow Solutions Group
Arrow Solutions Group (ASG), Montana's only dedicated technology and engineering staffing and recruiting firm, provides key technical talent to companies like yours in the Northern Rockies and Northern Plains.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Executive Creative Director, Marketing Coordinator, Interactive Developer / Designer, Earned Media Strategist - MercuryCSC
MercuryCSC is a creative, strategic, communications agency that credibly connects brands to people who value authentic destinations and immersive experiences.
- MSU continues EHHD dean search; interim appointments announced
The university remains committed to finding outstanding leadership for the students, faculty and staff of EHHD. I am confident we can all look forward to an excellent pool of finalists to visit in September.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Advertising Manager - Bob Ward & Sons
The Advertising Manager will oversee and execute all advertising and marketing campaigns for Bob Ward & Sons, a 93 year old Montana sporting goods retailer with five stores and an ecommerce platform.
Hellgate Venture Network
- TONIGHT!!!! - Limited time 100% off coupon code: "mt" to attend: IdeaMensch An Evening With A Community Of People Who Bring Ideas To Life, 7/13, Missoula, Montana
Thanks to some generous sponsors and my commitment to entrepreneurship in Montana, we have a limited time 100% off coupon code: mt
- Bozeman, Montana Is Ripe For Enterprenurism, Are You Ready
What does it take to be an entrepreneur?
- Hellgate Venture Network - Legal-Atlas - Cool New "global" Missoula-based Business, 7/19, Missoula
Our next HVM meeting will be Thursday July 19 at 4.30pm. Our speakers will be Jim Wingard and Maria Pascual of Legal-Atlas http://www.umt.edu/mansfield/Legal-Atlas , a very cool new "global" Missoula-based business.
Montana Economic Development
- 3-D printing could remake U.S. manufacturing
About 20 miles east of Pittsburgh, the former heart of the nation's steel industry, a small company called ExOne is churning out a new generation of stainless steel boat propellers, oil pump parts and door knobs. But there are no clanging hammers, wheezing presses or even computer-controlled milling machines.
- Utah homeowner selects EverLogs™ to solve his wildfire concerns.
Recent wildfires in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona have destroyed thousands of acres and hundreds of structures. Here is an NBC feature on how one Utah family is using EverLogs™ to solve their wildfire concerns.
- MSE sale to Global Technologies moving forward in Butte
Fallacaro said he plans to relocate all Global Technologies companies from their current home in Florida to the MSE campus in Butte, which will add local employment.
- Vote Now! - Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer On Why His State is a Top State for Business
In this video Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer reveals why he thinks his state is a top state for business. To vote for Montana tweet your vote to #TopStatesMT.
Developing an Angel Network in Montana
- SBA Launches Program to Help Transitioning Service Members and Veterans Become Entrepreneurs
"Our service men and women have made incalculable contributions and sacrifices for our country, and supporting them as they pursue their dreams to start or grow their own business is one of our highest priorities," SBA Administrator Karen Mills said.
- How an Entrepreneurs' Conference Can Help Your Career
Entrepreneur events are not only a great place to get support, but they are also ideal for networking with potential partners and customers and for identifying funding sources.
- Shorter Flights at Lower Heights: The Right Way To Angel Invest
A more effective model for Angel investing is long overdue. If Angels want to win -- they want to lower their risk, create better returns, and help entrepreneurs more they'll do the following:
Incubators and R&D
- Ten33 - Idaho police officer creates emergency software
A Nampa police officer is creating a digital database that will allow his colleagues to dump their three-ring binders filled with emergency information and get it all online.
- Coldwater Creek receives $65 million senior secured term loan from Golden Gate Capital
In May, Mergermarket reported private equity firms that specialize in turning around retailers were considering buying Coldwater Creek to take advantage of its low valuation and solid cash position.
- Owner of Idaho Albertson's may hang 'for sale' sign
When Supervalu bought Albertsons, it kept the stores it wanted -- including all of the chain's Idaho locations -- and spun off the rest to a new, privately held company called Albertsons LLC, which is based in Boise but has no stores in the state.
- Drug made from toxic weed kills cancer
An experimental drug derived from a poisonous weed can travel harmlessly through the bloodstream until it detects cancer cells and kills them.
- University of Wyoming professor simulates aerodynamics of aircraft wings, helicopter propellers, wind turbines - on a computer
Computer simulations will probably never replace (wind tunnel) testing completely," said Mavriplis, who has been at UW since 2003 after 16 years at NASA's Langley Research Center. "But it can replace more and more of the testing, and really reduce the expense and design cycle time for new aircraft development. It's continuous improvement."
Regional Economic Development
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
Climate and, ironically, our obligation to fight fires mean the West has become one big tinderbox.
- Pacific Northwest server farms could rival smelters in power use
"The amount of data these centers handle is growing at an explosive rate, making it imperative that data centers continue to improve their energy efficiency to keep power demand from exploding as well."
Washington State Business
- How coal trains could choke Northwest's economic engines
Northwest communities need to unite to assure a full review of the impact on local communities.
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) has a need for work that is considered to be Regional Innovation Cluster (RIC or "cluster") work.
Cluster work includes partnerships with and between business and industry groups, academic institutions, economic development organizations, entrepreneurial education programs, and training initiatives.
- Where You'll Want to Live in 2032
Gallup analysis shows that the West North Central, Mountain, and Pacific regions are likely to be the best areas to live in 20 years, based on the strong economic, health, and community foundations they are building today.
- Students Work With Industry Professionals In New Venture Capital Fund For Uw Startups
The W Fund launched June 20 with $20 million to invest in university startup companies coming from research institutions across Washington state.
- University of Washington's Computer Science Hiring Spree Nets More Kudos
It's an infusion of talent that UW hopes will allow it to attract high-quality students to its programs.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Trends in the Field of Entrepreneurship Faculty from 1989 to 2011
Teaching candidates need to be cognizant that the percentage of tenure track positions in entrepreneurship has been going down over the past few years and schools are increasingly seeking senior candidates with primary areas in entrepreneurship. Likewise, schools need to be aware of the respective candidate trends that will be discussed later in the paper.
- Open Education for a Global Economy - ALISON -- Advanced Learning Interactive Systems Online provides free online interactive education to help people acquire basic workplace skills.
At ALISON, all students receive a learning record, a kind of archive of their response to life's vicissitudes. Feerick notes: "The record says, 'I might be 58 years of age, but I'm still learning.'"
Montana Education Excellence
- State Farm PSAs/Produced by 2012 MAPS students
Friends - if you have a moment, below is the link for the MAPS kids latest creations. Four public service announcements, they run about two minutes total.
- MAPS Media Institute hosts casting call
"It is great to see what we taught them in MAPS classes and how they are using it professionally."
- University of Montana Field Notes 2012 - The Salvation of the Middle Class: And - Oh, By The Way - The Key to America's Future
I ask that you consider carefully the lessons of the past as suggestive of a solution for our current situation.
- Montana College Access Network Conference: Navigating The Future!, 10/2-3, Missoula, Montana
The Montana College Access Network (MCAN) would like to invite you to learn new and innovative ways to direct Montana students along the path to higher education!
- Montana Increases Number of College Grads More than any other State
"Montana has a great story to tell," said Governor Brian Schweitzer
- Montana high school students explore career options at MedStart camp
The North Central Area Health Education Center out of Fairfield has partnered with the Great Falls College of Montana State University and the Univer-sity of Great Falls to host a week-long medical careers camp for 30 high school students from across the state -- mostly from rural communities -- to give them a jump start on studying medical careers.
- A Visit With the European Startup Community
My wife, Ann, and I took a trip this past spring to visit Estonia, Finland, Ireland and Russia. The goal was to share our experiences in the realm of angel investing with an array of global audiences, by participating in various lectures, discussions and workshops. In all four countries we met passionate entrepreneurs who were eager to discuss their exciting startups, as well as angel investors looking to support them.
Funding and Building your Business
- Missoula has lost its role model - University of Montana and Missoula arts, civics advocate Don Simmons dies
"When I'm in my 80s, I hope to be as open and thoughtful and funny and engaged as Don Simmons was," Mayor John Engen said.
- Best of Missoula - 2012
This is it: The Independent's 18th annual Best of Missoula issue, our biggest annual issue, arriving in our 21st year.
- Hiring Your First Employee: 10 Regulatory Steps
Is your business ready to make its first hire? Finding and hiring the right employee is a critical step in the process. However, there are a few other steps you'll need to take to ensure you meet the legal, regulatory and tax obligations of being a new employer.
- Five Legal Pitfalls That Sink Many Good Startups
Like other environments, most legal issues don't result from fraud, but from ignorance on specific requirements, or simply never getting around to doing the things that common sense would tell you to do. Here are five of the most common examples:
- How to Create a Content Strategy for Multilingual Content
Many companies and international organizations still fall short when it comes to applying the best practices with multilingual content strategies when they start International online marketing.
- Six Criteria for Outsourcing the Right Processes
The considerations are not unique to software development - they apply almost as well to any product or service you have:
- 7 Ways to Cure Post-Pitch Depression
If you keep getting rejected, change something.
- Mentoring the mentors: Advice and inspiration for startup mentors
If you're thinking about becoming a mentor for startups--either in a formal accelerator program or independently--here are some tips for thinking about how to work with entrepreneurs.
- 5 Reasons Why You Need a Content Managed Website
Here are the five big reasons why you need a CMS:
- Selling Your Business? How to Negotiate a Purchase Offer
The goal of any business sale is to receive many purchase offers at the highest possible price. Here's how to choose the best one.
- Make Sure Your Startup Domain is Investor Friendly
We are talking about angel investors here, meaning people who invest their own money in early-stage startups for a share of the equity.
- A New (Older) Take on Internships
For small businesses, offering internships to people who are long past their college years provides a low-risk way to test out talent at low or no cost.
- Startups, failure is no excuse for failing to communicate.
All startups are inherently focused on their users to help them grow, but that same focus needs to be maintained when companies are in a less successful position, or perhaps even a downward spiral towards closure.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Rebuild Haiti, recharge Montana - Wood For Haiti
"We could build the entire country of Haiti if we could get to this wood."
- Zebrafish protein bridges spinal cord injury
"The hope is that fgf could eventually be used to promote better results in spinal cord repair in people,"
- Immortality Possible in Just 30 Years?
Revered scientist Ray Kurzweil says that technology advancement over the next 30 years will change humans and the world as we know it.
- A somewhat unusual commute through the streets of San Francisco...
This is how it should be every day!
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page