|MATR Newsletter - Fri Jun 15, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Missoula needs votes for Outside Magazine's Best Towns http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Welcome to Leadership Montana! - Class of 2013 Online Application Is Here! http://matr.net/articl ... .html --- Montana Innovation And Entrepreneurship Day, 6/21, Missoula, Montana http://matr.net/events ... =4177 --- Montana Ambassadors' 8th Annual "Open For Business" Golf Tournament, 8/15-16, Anaconda, Montana http://matr.net/articl ... .html --- NorthWestern Energy CEO, Bob Rowe, Special Energy Presentation, 6/22, Billings, Montana http://matr.net/events ... =4194 ---
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Every Brand Owner Needs to Click This Link: ICANN Reveals List of 1,930 Applications For Generic Top-Level Domain Names (gTLDs) That May Include .yourbrand, .yourproduct, or .yourindustry
About its much-anticipated announcement, ICANN said this "will mark the next phase in one of the most significant developments in the history of the Internet."
- Public health's 5 big data hurdles
Amongst the growing projects issued to the public health sector, what are big data's challenges and what are its benefits?
- Manufacturing Business Intelligence Brings Yesterday's Stale Reports Up-to-Date
"It's not about making more products anymore," said Mike Pantaleano, business unit manager at Rockwell Automation. "It's about productivity -- being more productive with what you're already doing to help unleash the full potential of what is happening inside your plant." That, he said, is the key to the future.
Come Home Montana
- NorthWestern Energy Sponsors Building Science Workshops 6/20 and 21 in Billings
NorthWestern Energy is sponsoring two upcoming workshops for builders. The workshops will teach lessons on how the ENERGY STARÂ® program can be applied to build better homes.
- NorthWestern Energy Sponsors Building Science Workshops 6/19 in Bozeman
The ENERGY STAR for New Homes Program and other green building standards help builders meet consumers' growing demand for high-quality, energy-efficient homes. The Montana Energy Code now incorporates some ENERGY STAR requirements.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunities - Multiple Engineering Careers at Resodyn
Resodyn Corporation is a high-tech company located in Butte, the heart of beautiful Southwest Montana. Our tag line, "Building Value through Discovery and Innovation" sums up our commitment to the advancement of science while providing true value to our customers, employees and community.
- Businesswomen gather in Hamilton for conference
"Women by nature are curvy," Sarah Calhoun told her audience. "Squeezing curvy women into square men's pants comes with a lot of problems."
- Acceptance from traditional medicine grows for discoveries made in 'the other medicine'
The growing acceptance of nature's role in helping combat serious illness isn't surprising to those aware that an estimated 70 percent of new drugs originate from natural sources.
- Welcome to Leadership Montana! - Class of 2013 Online Application Is Here!
As Montana looks to the future, we face a changing and challenging economy, ever more complex issues regarding the health and security of our people, our management of natural resources. We see an increasing need for our communities, our businesses and our government to be partners for a strong, growing Montana.
- Butte, Montana based Resodyn takes national stage to present unique mixing method
This form of mixing is unique because there are no blades within the mixing chamber.
- Submittable - Syndicate Your Calls for Work or New Job Postings With RSS
People can subscribe to your feeds, allowing them to see when you add new calls, change guidelines or are making new hires.
- Missoula retailer Vann's brings in outside CEO
The Missoula appliance and electronics retailer announced this week that George Manlove has stepped down as chief executive officer. Professional business consultant Jerry McConnell is the new CEO.
- Bozeman-based Golden Helix Establishes Direct Presence in Japan
"We are excited to enter the Japanese life sciences market, as our products align with the high-quality genetic analysis work being done in Japan," said Andy Ferrin, Senior Vice-President of Business Development at Golden Helix.
- 5 graduate programs that aren't worth the money
Particularly if you're planning to take out loans to attend graduate school, it pays to know what your realistic job prospects are.
Incubators and R&D
- Idaho Engineering Students Aim to Improve Energy Use at Businesses
Students at Idaho's three research universities have become teachers for businesses in and around the state. Earlier this year, teams of engineering students began visiting manufacturing plants to assess how they can operate more efficiently.
- Boise, Idaho Greenhouse startups bear fruit
The Greenhouse is one of at least five incubators in the Treasure Valley, including three Downtown. Boise State's TECenter in Nampa has been around for eight years, fostering growth for tech businesses.
Regional Economic Development
- SoloPower launches new solar panels with Portland production and hiring underway
"There's going to be a gold rush there," Khouri said. "And we're well-positioned because Japan, much like California, has large commercial-industrial buildings with low weight-bearing requirements."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Northwest Economic Development Course, 8/20-24, Ellensburg, Washington
- U.S. cities offer to pay off student debts
Cities like Niagara Falls, N.Y. and Kansas City are offering to pay down student loans if the debtor agrees to move into and work in those cities
- Elk Grove Launches New GIS Website with Real Estate and Business Search
"Companies expect more than just basic information on an economic development website. Elk Grove provides much more with detailed data analysis that businesses can customize to their unique needs,"
- K-12 Can Learn from Early Education
"At least some of the answers to turning around our nation's struggling K-12 public schools can be found at the nearest preschool."
- Extreme Marshmallow Cannons!
"Don't Be Bored, Make Something."
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Searchable database makes comparing college costs easier
Which U.S. college is the most expensive and which is least?
- Saving state universities requires a key ingredient
The regents made it clear that nothing short of fundamental changes in the state's financing system will suffice.
Montana Education Excellence
- Relationship with U.S. Military sends Missoula Children's Theatre overseas
This summer the Missoula Children's Theatre is sending nearly 100 directors to 1,200 communities worldwide.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Senator Tester praises University of Montana decision to provide year-round funding for out-of-state student veterans under the Yellow Ribbon program
"Student veterans come to Montana to get a first-class education and learn the skills they need to get jobs and strengthen our economy. I applaud the University of Montana for listening to my concerns and stepping forward to make sure that our veterans who sacrificed so much can continue their studies as part of the UM community."
- MSU offers "Welcome Back Bobcats!" kits to Bozeman businesses
"Montana State is so grateful for all the support Bozeman gives our students and the university," said Chelsea Schmidt, with MSU Community Relations. "We know there is a lot of Bobcat Pride in our community and these kits are a way to show it."
Funding and Building your Business
- The New Cities Summit 2012 is now online: videos, photos and session summaries
About three weeks ago, the inaugural New Cities Summit brought together 700 of the most high-level urban thinkers and doers to discuss the future of our first truly urban century.
- TWO new grant announcements
- FOUR new grant announcements
- Missoula needs votes for Outside Magazine's Best Towns
Missoula was nominated based on the quality of life and recreation, such as kayaking, fishing, and boating, as well as riverfront parks and bike paths.
Energy and Climate Change
- Is User Base or Profitability the Key to Scale?
Now most entrepreneurs are confused. Should they focus on revenues and profitability, or focus on growing their customer base at all costs?
- Building Brands with "Bridges"
The key to an entrepreneur's success is his or her ability to establish a strong bridge of understanding between what he or she has to sell and what interested consumers want to buy that will satisfy their emotional wishes.
- 5 Tips to Spot True Innovators
It's not just a matter of finding creative dreamers; you need people who can turn ideas into money. Here's what to look for.
- Angel Capital Association Helps Dell Support Entrepreneurs
The Angel Capital Association announced today its support of the Dell Innovators Credit Fund http://eir.dell.com/2012/06/the-dell-innovators-credit-fund-a-100m-commitment-to-entrepreneurs-and-startups/ , a first-of-its kind financing initiative that provides entrepreneurs up to $100 million in the financial and scalable technology resources they need to maximize potential for innovation, speed to market and job creation.
- Even Startups Can't Innovate Without a Process
A typical approach to dealing with team dysfunction or no innovation process is to work around it, which normally leads to startup failure.
- Small Business Strategies: Big idea can work in a small town
Many small-business owners and would-be entrepreneurs face this problem. Their business can't grow because they don't have enough customers in their geographic area. The challenge is tough, but not insurmountable.
- How To Make Your Company A Talent Magnet, Even In Tough Markets
It's hard to imagine a talent shortage in this economy. However, for some in-demand skill sets, it's tough to identify good candidates, let alone woo them away from their current employers. And if you're thinking, "I don't have that problem," studies show you may soon.
- Senator Tester leveling the playing field for renewable energy companies
Senator's bipartisan bill allows companies to raise more money, create jobs
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- The Next Big Start-Up Wave: Civic Technology
What cities really need in the long run, of course, are not temporary technologists and their stopgap services. Cities need a full-fledged, permanent industry around this stuff.
- True Wolf, A New Feature Documentary By Rob Whitehair Opening Across The Northwest - Missoula, MT starts June 29 The Wilma Theater
The wolf came for dinner and stayed for sixteen years. True Wolf follows the life of Koani, a wolf born in captivity who became an ambassador for her species and changed the lives of so many people.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Video: Murmuration - it is something amazing to see.
What they saw was a wonderful murmuration display, caught in the short video
- Keystroke analysis could replace passwords
The way you type on your computer's keyboard is as unique as your handwriting, and may even be a matter of national security, an Iowa State University engineering professor says.
- 'Cool' Battery Is Great News for Electric Cars
A scientific breakthrough could eliminate the need for heating or cooling systems and make EVs cheaper.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page