|MATR Newsletter - Fri May 18, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
On his choice to move to Montana, Musician John Mayer said, “The question 'Why Montana' is the answer,” he said. “Why not be happy after awhile?
The California Chapter Of The Montana Ambassadors Invite You To A "Life Sciences Technology Event", 5/23, SF, CA http://matr.net/events ... =4140 --- Maps: Finding Our Voice, 5/19 And 5/20, Montana PBS http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Missoula high-schoolers make mark at International DECA conference http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Montana Department of CommerceTourism Industry News
And the Award Goes to.....
- Copyright Protects The Code Of A Computer Program Not Its Functionality Or The Ideas Underlying The Software
The decision of the ECJ lays down an important statement of principles in relation to the extent to which copyright protects computer programs (but not their functionality) under European Union law, although in respect of some practical aspects of the matter the Court's decision fails to provide useful guidance.
- Big Data Still an Untapped Resource in Government (VIDEO)
State and local CIOs say the sea of real-time information that's now available isn't yet being used to its full potential
- Building Operator Certification Training (Scholarships Available from Northwestern Energy) , 06/4-8, Helena, Montana
NorthWestern Energy is offering Tuition and Travel Scholarships for the following NorthWestern Energy customers: public schools; state and local governments; and non-profit hospitals.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Register for Tomorrow's Word of Mouth Marketing Webinar
We're going to get specific here: Where to start, what to do, and how to make it successful. Guess what? It's common-sense stuff that you can use the next day without a big budget.
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
- Camping, Curlews and Cougars in Montana
It's truly rewarding to see people of all ages turning out to enjoy the Reserve and I hope you'll plan to visit this summer.
- New 'Backroads Of Montana' Premieres This Month
A "Lunch Lady" with a local connection to the food she cooks, a harp maker with a loving connection to his muse and a telephone collector with connections galore are highlighted in the new edition of the travelogue program "Backroads of Montana," which premieres at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 23, on MontanaPBS.
- 'Where the Yellowstone Goes' filmmakers follow
"Where the Yellowstone Goes" documents the 34-day float trip of the legally floatable portion of the Yellowstone River -- from just outside Yellowstone National Park in Gardiner to the confluence of the Missouri River at Fort Buford, N.D.
- Eight Nations, Eleven Tribes - Montana
When it comes to American Indian culture, Montana's roots run deep. Between wild places unchanged by settlement, hallowed grounds of past battles and longstanding American Indian celebrations that continue to this day, Montana showcases the history of the 11 tribes.
Great Falls Development Authority
- New Tools: New Worlds of Learning 2012 Education Technology Conference | August 6-8, 2012, Missoula, Montana
Have you registered for the 2012 Education Technology Conference (ETC)? You don't want to miss this year's conference!
SRS Crisafulli, Inc.
- Easter Seals to move into former bank in downtown Great Falls
In Great Falls, Easter Seals-Goodwill has 383 employees and serves 2,000 clients. The organization has 58 programs in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Utah, with 1,000 employees serving more than 23,000 people.
- Senator Baucus: Final Passage of Export-Import Bank is Win for Montana Jobs
Baucus recently highlighted SRS Crisafulli http://www.baucus.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=724 in Glendive as one of his "Montana Jobs Economic Engines." SRS Crisafulli employs more than 30 people and is currently hiring http://www.crisafullipumps.com/contact-us/career-opportunities/
Come Home Montana
- Vision Net Technology Roadshow, 6/5, Great Falls
Experts from Barracuda Networks, ADTRAN, Ruckus Wireless, Polycom, and Direct Packet Research will be on hand to discuss Voice Over IP (VOIP), Network Security, Videoconferencing, and Wireless LANs. This is a great opportunity to see and experience many next generation solutions.
- Buy a whole Montana town for $1.4 million?
This tiny, tiny city with its quasi-holy name will soon go up for sale. Walker plans to auction it off, with a starting bid of $1.4 million. Check out the story, and visit Pray, in this video.
- Montana Career Opportunity - GIS Program Manager - The Helena and Lewis and Clark Forests
The position is responsible for providing leadership to a shared GIS and cartographic organization, including work assignments and oversight, and technical guidance.
- Montana State Society Annual Testicle Festival, 5/19, Arlington, VA - "It's a Ball!"
It's a Montana tradition: all-you-can-eat rocky mountain oysters, all-you-can-drink beer and live country music by the Wil Gravatt Band.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Project Manager - Glacier Bancorp, Inc. - Missoula
During systems projects, the project manager will incorporate the system selection process into the project plan and guide the project team through system selection.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Senior Application Developer - Easter Seals/Goodwill, Great Falls, Montana
Direct the development of new software programs, applications, data warehouses, and business intelligence reports.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Application Developer - Easter Seals/Goodwill, Great Falls, Montana
Assist others in conceptualizing and developing new software programs, applications, data warehouses, and business intelligence reports.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Software Engineer, Interaction Designer - WebFilings
The company develops and markets a fully‐integrated, cloud‐based solution dedicated to meeting SEC reporting requirements.
- Montana Career Opportunity - VB.NET Developer - Arrow Solutions Group
The VB.NET Developer is responsible for developing and maintaining software applications for internal and external clients.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Assistant Director of Development and Alumni Relations - UM Foundation
The Assistant Director of Development will be an integral part of a development team that is currently raising $20-30 million annually in support of the University.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Aggressive Marketing Companies are Calling Montana's Small businesses and Impersonating the Department of Labor and Industry.
"These aggressive marketing tactics are making it difficult and expensive for Montana business owners who are trying to follow the law," said Labor Commissioner Keith Kelly.
- Yellowstone gateway businesses join effort to highlight Montana tourism industry
"We talked a bit about the importance of tourism and the dollars it brings in throughout the state, particularly in a town like Livingston that relies heavily on outsiders coming in and spending money in town," Gigone said. "We couldn't survive without it."
- Peggy Grimes Named President of Montana's Endless Sky L3C
Focus On The Hungry, Local Farms And Jobs In Montana.
- "WorkSafeMT" aims for safer Montana workplaces
As it stands, Montana exceeds the national average for the number of workplace injuries in just about every employment category, Miller said. "On every single one of these our incident rates are higher than the national average," he said. "This is a huge problem ... These are the root causes for why we have high workers' compensation rates."
- Find the Reverse Leaders in Your Midst
Rarely does strong leadership ability show up at lower levels in the hierarchy if senior leaders aren't very effective in their roles.
- Get Leadership Right from the Start
What are the things that you assume cannot be included in business that you believe would benefit our world community?
- Captain "Sully" Sullenberger "Making a Difference: Stories of Vision and Courage from America's Leaders"
At a time of political polarization and economic turmoil, we yearn for superior leadership.
Business Plan Forums
- ALPS 411 Blog Newsletter
The Law vs. Supply and Demand - Is becoming a lawyer a bad investment?
- University of Montana Business School Announces Business Plan Competition Winners
The top award went to UM business school MBA candidate and Montana native Charles Bateman for his business plan for Never Miss. His company provides an online tool to manage special-permit hunting applications for big game hunters in North America.
- Portland State University students' invention tops the field at national engineering competition
The device could save lives, but that's not why they did it.
- The Latest in Economic Development
This week's blog highlights the results of a new small business survey, identifies how occupational licenses potentially hurt job growth, explores Oregon's economic gardening strategy, and looks at the "Whole Foods Effect" and the implications of its new store in Detroit.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Procter & Gamble Explains Why Israel is THE Startup Nation
Israel raises 2.5 times as much global venture capital as the U.S., 30 times more than Europe, 80 times more than India, and 350 times more than China.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Teens build fighter jet flight simulator for Maker Faire - the Viper
"As a researcher at Pixar http://www.pixar.com/ , I invent things for a living. But there have been moments of discovery with the boys when some really elegant piece of the puzzle clicked. Those are the most satisfying moments of discovery I've ever had."
- Economist Estimates Effect of High-Quality Early Education on Special Education
"The simulation shows that as of 13 years after the program is begun, the special education cost savings reach a permanent level that covers 48% of the pre-K program's annual costs. These cost savings increase fairly uniformly from program initiation, so that the cost savings are 4% after one year, 8% after two years, etc."
- "Communities in Schools" - We build a community of support for children by embedding resources they need within their school.
Communities In Schools works within the public school system, determining student needs and establishing relationships with local businesses, social service agencies, health care providers, and parent and volunteer organizations to provide needed resources.
- Universal Design for Learning: The next big thing in school reform?
A new report suggests most states are already implementing UDL without a federal mandate
- TED Video: David Kelley: How to build your creative confidence
Is your school or workplace divided into "creatives" versus practical people?
- Montana middle school students undertake 'economic adventure' to learn about business
"Since economics is in the news all the time, we thought it important that kids understand even the words" of economics."
Missoula Schools Excellence
- MAPS student Luke McLean's film, "No Excuses, No Limits" nominated for regional Emmy award
The nomination was for director Luke McLean's short film, "No Excuses, No Limits." The film was made for Vocational Rehabilitation, a job service in Missoula focused on helping disabled Montanans. It features several people who used the service and overcame their disabilities in a great way.
- Maps: Finding Our Voice, 5/19 And 5/20, Montana PBS
Get an insiders look at the people of MAPS and the creative work they produce in the Bitterroot Valley.
Montana Education Excellence
- Missoula high-schoolers make mark at International DECA conference
"We lose sight in Montana just how big DECA is," Hartman said. "That makes it even more impressive."
- Montana Students Aim to Break 9 World Records at Graduation Matters Miles City Launch
As we embark on our pursuit of raising our graduation rate, we want to have a spectacular assembly that celebrates our successes and launches our new initiative.
Funding and Building your Business
Connectivity & Communications
- Great Businesses Evolve Innovation to a Revolution
As an entrepreneur, how do you know if you have the potential to innovate, and what are the steps to get from innovation to revolution?
- 3 Powerful "Friends" Every Entrepreneur Must Have
I'm confident they will have the same impact on your life as they've had on mine, but that's only if you choose to use them.
- Know the Right Resources for Your Startup Stage
The challenge is finding and using qualified affordable support organizations for each stage. Don't waste your resources on the wrong ones.
- Keep a Grand Vision but Execute With a Laser Focus
Trying to do everything at once probably means that none of the items will be done well.
- The Beginner's Guide to an LLC
Maintaining a corporation or LLC is an ongoing process. Here are six ways to make sure your corporation or LLC stays in compliance for years to come.
- 10 Rules for Starting a Small Business
The Web will improve your life every day in countless ways until one morning, suddenly, it will fail.
- Is your company's online strategy up-to-date?
You need to revisit the basics: your objectives, your various audiences, what they do with you online now and what more they could do.
- Google strives to enlighten with new search tool - "Knowledge Graph"
The information warehouse, which Google calls a "Knowledge Graph," is an attempt by the Internet's dominant search engine to provide answers as quickly and concisely as possible so users don't have to sift through a hodgepodge of Web links displayed on the main results page.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Utah tech director resigns in wake of data theft
Last month, hackers stole personal information of about 780,000 Medicaid recipients and participants in the Children's Health Insurance Program, including the Social Security numbers of about 280,000 of them.
- Free Tool Gauges Website Engagement Effectiveness
Called the Six Stages of Digital Community Engagement http://www.digitalcommunityengagement.com/ , the evaluation consists of a detailed questionnaire that evaluates a government website's communications features and measures the effectiveness of those methods.
- Swords & Scotches, 5/19, Missoula, Montana
What could be better than lethal weapons of destruction and scotch!
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page