|MATR Newsletter - Sat May 5, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The society with the best engineers and ideas always wins" Gov. Brian Schweitzer http://www.youtube.com ... Ka4H4
The 23rd Annual John Ruffatto Business Plan Competition, 5/10, Missoula, Montana http://matr.net/events ... =4035 --- Should Your City Build Its Own Broadband Network? Broadband At the Speed of Light: How Three Communities Built Next-Generation Networks http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html ---
Montana Department of Commerce
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Montana Small Business Development Centers May 2012 Network Highlights
The Business Resources Division is comprised of a variety of programs aimed at improving, enhancing, and diversifying Montana's economic and business climate.
- Trademark, Copyright, Advertising, and Brand Management
Delays in the Expansion of Generic Top Level Domain Names Create Additional Time to Protect Your Company's Rights
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Your Favorite Restaurant's Secret Ingredient: Data, and Lots of It
Some of the nation's top eateries are quietly embracing data mining to eke out profit in a tough economy.
Highway 12 Ventures
- At the MPG Ranch, a watchful eye on the wild. Spotted Skunk caught on camera - first in the Bitterroot Valley in more than 20 years.
The MPG ranch has 100 cameras spread out over an 8,600-acre mountainside ranch, recording or photographing the movements of all kinds of animals, from mountain lions to wild horses, all about 10 miles south of Missoula as the crow flies.
Come Home Montana
- Highway 12 Ventures - Portfolio News | April 2012
Obama takes Sphero for a ride, gives Boulder company a boost.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Quality Engineer - SiMatrix
SiMatrix http://www.simatrix.com/ , a medical device manufacturing company in Montana is seeking a Quality Engineer experienced in the medical or pharmaceutical fields with a Bachelor's Degree in a technical field or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Customer Support Specialist - Black Mountain Software
Learn to use our speciality software products to assist and educate our local government clients in our high volume support services office.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Warren Buffett Is Giving Kids The Opportunity To Pitch Him Their Business Ideas
An online vote from May 7-14 will help determine which of the finalists will win grand prizes of $5,000. The runners up will receive $500 prizes.
- MEDA May Online Newsletter:
Have a great May
- "Life Sciences Technology Event" With Montana Gov. Schweitzer, 5/23, San Francisco, CA
Please join us for this special event that will focus on connecting California and Montana Life Sciences companies, including startups and well-established firms.
Montana Economic Development
- Bozeman, Montana-based Schedulicity Raises $2.3M
End Appointment Scheduling Hassles
- Bozeman, Montana based "THE HABIHUT" As Seen on NBC6/Miami
Julia Yarbough Media Group joins the morning show to promote the Bozeman, Montana based company http://www.thehabihut.com.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Big Sky Economic Development: Local collaboration receives EPA's notice
The Billings SGIA project seeks to enhance economic opportunity and community well-being by creating better access to schools, housing, and transportation.
- Bear Paw coordinates millions for northern Montana in 2011
For every dollar of local government investment in the organization in 2011, Bear Paw leveraged an additional $104 from outside sources.
- Senator Baucus Unveils Plan for Mission to Canada to Generate New Business, Tourism During Flathead Jobs Tour
The tourism focused trade mission is designed to build upon some of the relationships and business contacts successfully moving forward from Baucus' 2011 trade mission to Canada.
City Club Missoula
- Should Your City Build Its Own Broadband Network? Broadband At the Speed of Light: How Three Communities Built Next-Generation Networks
While on a site selection visit in Chattanooga, a CEO asked about broadband access. When told that the slowest tier on Chattanooga's community fiber network was 30 megabits per second, he turned to his IT adviser for a translation. Upon hearing "that's more than we can get in our headquarters presently," the company cancelled its other planned visits and located its new site in Chattanooga.
Come Home Utah
- City Club Missoula Forum, Bonneville Power Administration At 75: The Legacy Of Columbia River Hydropower, 5/14
City Club Missoula forums are open to everyone; you do not need to be a member to attend, however, reservations are required.
- Adobe is hiring for expansive Utah building
"By the time of move-in we'll probably be over 1,000 employees."
- Senator Baucus Permanently Protects 'The Last Best Place' From Trademark
"To try to auction off one of our most beloved sayings is just plain wrong. 'The Last Best Place' belongs to all Montanans and is not for sale. I'm pleased we've won this battle and can put the issue to rest once and for all," said Baucus.
Incubators and R&D
- Flynn's Harp: Idaho potato-product pitch wows Texans
When Gaylene Anderson decided on an entrepreneurial coming-out party from her tech-transfer role at the University of Idaho, she chose the biggest business-plan competition stage in the country and picked the quintessential symbol of Idaho to tout her fledgling company.
- Business incubator opens for startups in Spokane, WA
McKinstry will spend $5 million to build out the innovation center.
- Incubators matter: The average Y Combinator company is worth $45.2M
"It's become a new college for entrepreneurs because we're so selective on front end," said TechStars founder David Cohen, of the incubator model.
Regional Economic Development
- Kitzhaber: Three-Time Governor Turning Oregon's Tide
The ability of Oregon's elected leaders to work together wasn't a one-off event.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Grant Announcement: Veterans' Workforce Investment Program DOL will award at least 10 grants in 10 states
The Department of Labor is now soliciting applications for approximately $12 million in grants to provide job training and skills development services that will help approximately 6,000 veterans succeed in civilian careers.
- Girl Power: Delaware Promotes STEM Careers
State and private-sector leaders are trying to bust myths that girls often believe about science, technology, engineering and math.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Harvard and M.I.T. Team Up to Offer Free Online Courses
Meanwhile, Sebastian Thrun, the Stanford professor who made headlines last fall when 160,000 students signed up for his Artificial Intelligence course, has attracted more than 200,000 students to the six courses offered at his new company, Udacity.
Montana Education Excellence
- Missoula, Montana's Paxson Elementary to launch iPad Initiative for in fall 2012
More than 140 iPads have been ordered to support the initiative.
- President Cruzado: New Council on Leadership, Outreach and Engagement to help MSU make a difference beyond campus
The new council would be responsible for coordinating, guiding and planning MSU's outreach efforts and would collaborate with off-campus communities and partners.
- Luther School teaches healthy lessons for Montana
Luther School is the first Montana school to earn a Gold Medal of Distinction from the HealthierUS Schools Challenge.
Funding and Building your Business
Energy and Climate Change
- 9 Attributes of the Best Entrepreneurial Leaders
The good news is that all of these principles of leadership are learnable.
- Social Media for the Family Business seminars to be held in 10 Montana cities this summer
The seminars will focus on how family businesses can use social media as an effective marketing tool.
- 6 Tips to Max Your Business Problem Solving Skills
The real entrepreneurs I know are good at overcoming both people problems and business obstacles, and get satisfaction from the challenge.
- Startup Founders Need to Build a Dream Team
As I've said before, there is no substitute for building your network, or using your network of trusted advisors.
- The Business Plan that Always Works
Writing a traditional business plan is usually precipitated by one of two thoughts:
- TED Video: Drew Curtis: How I beat a patent troll
"Don't negotiate with terrorists; patent trolls have done more damage to the United States economy than any domestic or foreign terrorist organization in history, every year." (Drew Curtis)
- Is your startup failing? Here's how to exit gracefully
It's conventional wisdom (and true) that an entrepreneur who has failed is often better for the experience. But failing badly can hurt your reputation and, in the worst case, saddle you with personal liabilities.
- Ten Questions Your Web Designer Should Be Asking You
If you are working with a web designer who isn't asking you these questions, you would be wise to bring them up and provide answers to them sooner than later.
- Stop Working More Than 40 Hours a Week
There's a century of research establishing the undeniable fact that working more than 40 hours per week actually decreases productivity.
- The Power of Positive Feedback
Acknowledgment of good performance increases the probability of more good performance.
- Bricks Cut Carbon Emissions
Encos says that its bricks can be made with only 20 percent of the energy used for traditional ceramic bricks. They are also recyclable.
- New JOBS law expected to boost Bozeman, Montana biotechs
"The critical mass is here. I think that it's not going to be very long before we're finding multiple situations like (Ligocyte)."
- 50-State Legislation Now Searchable by Smartphone
The app, for use on iPhones and iPads (an Android version is being discussed), posts state-specific news headlines and even committee schedules and capitol maps where they're available. What's more, it's free. Statehouse stalking has never been easier.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page