|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 27, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"There’s no competitive advantage today in knowing more than the person next to you. The world doesn’t care what you know. What the world cares about is what you can do with what you know.” Creating Innovators: Why America's Education System Is Obsolete http://matr.net/articl ... .html
Video: Governor Schweitzer Promotes Montana to David Letterman and the Crew at Morning Joe. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- One Night Only! VC's Unplugged , 5/1, Bozeman, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Missoula BarCamp After Party - Retrospective & Future, 4/30, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html ---
- Forbes names NorthWestern one of America's "Most trustworthy" companies
"We're proud to be named as one of the 100 Most Trustworthy Companies in the country because it means that we're doing many of the right things," said Bob Rowe, President and CEO. "Companies that make this list don't have problems that indicate elevated risk. NorthWestern Energy has consistently demonstrated transparent and conservative accounting practices, solid corporate governance and management."
- NorthWestern Energy Launches Community Works
NorthWestern Energy's tradition of funding community activities, charitable efforts and economic development within its three-state utility service territory now has a new name and expanded focus.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- One Night Only! VC's Unplugged , 5/1, Bozeman, Montana
Meet investors from six different funds at this evening of great networking, cocktails and appetizers.
Highway 12 Ventures
- Video: Governor Schweitzer Promoting the Big Sky to the Big Apple
Governor Brian Schweitzer visits the Big Apple: http://vimeo.com/pangolin/review/40971729/c14ded0766
Come Home Montana
- Orbotix Gets New User: President Obama
Orbotix is venture backed by Highway 12 Ventures and Foundry Ventures
- Montana Career Opportunity - Interactive Web Developer, Graphic Designer - Headwaters Economics
We are a small, innovative, high-tech research group whose work is used by local and national audiences, including federal land management agencies, elected officials, universities, economic development organizations, nonprofit groups, and others.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Developer - Sterling Bank Services
Sterling Bank Services, a nation-wide field services company, is looking for an experienced developer to join our small corporate development team in beautiful Missoula, MT.
- The Future of Leadership Development
Here are 10 current and potential trends for leadership development that shouldn't creep anyone out too much.
- Missoula BarCamp After Party - Retrospective & Future, 4/30, Missoula
In order to keep growing this community, the next Missoula BarCamp, and to explore future possibilities - you're all invited to a post-event "Retrospective" party.
Montana Economic Development
- Analysis Of Montana's Economy And The Role Of Protected Public Lands, 5/3, Helena, Montana
The report will review how the state has performed, what is driving economic growth, and how protected lands play a positive role in attracting people, investment, and businesses to Montana communities.
- Hank Green's business is just awesome - http://dftba.com/
The Greens' YouTube channel has more than 680,000 subscribers.
- Montana budget picture continues to improve
Schweitzer, who leaves office at year's end, said his last budget proposal coming later this year will stick with his past plans to keep a fair amount of money in the bank while spending more in key areas like education.
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- Video: Governor Schweitzer Promotes Montana to David Letterman and the Crew at Morning Joe.
Gov. Schweitzer if in New York promoting non-stop flights between New York and Bozeman. After riding in Watkins-Shepard big rigs through Times Square and giving away a host of Montana products, he hit the TV circuit.
- The Missoula Economic Partnership Hires James Grunke as CEO
"We're thrilled to have James leading the Missoula Economic Partnership," said Jeff Fee, chairman of the Missoula Economic Partnership board. "When someone is doing the job as well as James is right now, you want to build on that momentum."
Come Home Idaho
- Social Media Directors are Finding a Place in Government
Social media or new media directors are fairly new in government, but their numbers are growing at all levels -- and these positions are primarily being filled by individuals born in the mid-1970s and later.
- Modular housing plant, ATCO Structures and Logistics to open in Pocatello, hire 150 people
ATCO will have job openings include carpenters, plumbers, electricians, production workers and office staff.
Incubators and R&D
- Rekluse Motor Sports of Boise, Idaho wins top SBA award
A Boise company that makes motorcycle clutches has been named the national small business exporter of the year by the Small Business Administration.
- Companies and Idaho seek ways to hire and help train the next workforce in the state
At Idaho Power, more than 25 percent of the company's 2,000 employees are people who could retire today. Within a decade, that is expected to grow to 60 percent.
- Premier Technology Inc. of Blackfoot, Idaho builds components for nuclear reactors
Premier is building the integrated head package, a complex structure that provides cooling to key reactor components.
Regional Economic Development
- 2012 Military Wishlist Features Smart Wound-Diagnosing Uniforms and Dogfighting Drones
Uniforms that detect the exact place and type of wound, computer targeting for air-to-air machine guns and non-lethal mini-drone missiles are just some of the new technologies the DoD hopes to farm out this year to more boutique firms.
- Army's 'Magic Bullet' Will Hang Out in Midair, But Won't Kill You
This latest nonlethal weapon is a modification of something called the Lethal Miniature Aerial Munition System (LMAMS), something the Army explicitly compares to a "magic bullet."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Boosting Grad Rates Could Mean Billions for States
While that 60 percent goal might be out of reach for some states, Patrick Kelly, a senior associate at the Center for Higher Education Management systems, said that states could achieve more progress by setting specific attainment targets and tying higher education funding to meeting completion goals.
Montana Education Excellence
- With A New Educational Platform, TED Gives Teachers The Keys To A Flipped Classroom
As an increasingly powerful medium through which the world's experts share their hard-won knowledge, TED is also an educator.
- Creating Innovators: Why America's Education System Is Obsolete
"There's no competitive advantage today in knowing more than the person next to you. The world doesn't care what you know. What the world cares about is what you can do with what you know."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- New grant offered free ACT testing across Montana
In 2011, Montana GEAR UP -- Gain Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Program -- located within the commissioner's office received a seven-year $28 million GEAR UP grant.
- Wanted: new vice president of research - University of Montana
The new vice president of research faces challenging budgets from both the state and federal government. He is also charged with showing the world that UM is a university of great scholars.
- Pacific Steel donates $75,000 to MSU-Great Falls childcare center
MSU-Great Falls announced on Tuesday that Pacific Steel and Recycling has once again made a donation to build the facility that will provide for up to 88 children -- bringing their total contributions toward the project to $125,000.
Funding and Building your Business
- Are Green Cities Sitting on a Golden Goose?
Sustainable development in cities such as Copenhagen and Portland is yielding significant environmental benefits
- Why Does Place Matter?
The quality of that place matters - the range and affordability of housing, the job opportunities, the schools, healthcare and public transport - because it shapes day-to-day life and long-term opportunities.
- How to Make Your City Smarter
"We are hoping that eventually there's a more cross-departmental, cross-city data flow and process flow about how cities function in this sort of ecosystem of services."
Energy and Climate Change
- FDIC and SBA Team Up to Offer Financial Education and Mentoring Support to New and Aspiring Entrepreneurs
More than 10 years after the original release of the award-winning Money Smart adult curriculum, Money Smart for Small Business builds on the proven results in finance management for those who complete the curriculum.
- A Stronger Economy Means More Competitive Threats
Every existing business, as well as every startup, needs to reassess their product or service in the context of these five forces:
- What is Language Globalization?
To globalize is to plan the design, development, and business elements for a product or content in advance with a multicultural and multilingual audience in mind.
- Six Considerations When Receiving Funding from Strategic Investors
In addition to pursuing independent venture capital firms, entrepreneurs and business owners often seek funding from the "in-house" venture capital arms of large companies.
- Tips Reveal Path To Better Entrepreneurship
If you want to be a better entrepreneur, don't miss these important tips. We've collected from far and wide on the Web to help you make your business better today.
- Define Startup Social Media Goals and Metrics Early
There are many 'experts' out there telling you how to do it, or even offering their services. But very few are talking about how to measure your results, and the right metrics for optimizing your marketing environment.
- To Avoid Stupid Mistakes, Think in French
Thinking in a non-native language seems to make people more rational.
- Click here to find out more! Legal Structure: The Difference Between LLCs And LLPs
The question whether to form an LLC or LLP doesn't have to be complicated once you understand how these two entities are created, who can create them, and what legal protections and tax benefits they offer.
- Patagonia's Founder is America's Most Unlikely Business Guru
His approach to leading a company is perhaps best understood as a sort of performance art--less about the bottom line than about providing a road map for future entrepreneurs.
- 9 Attributes of the Best Entrepreneurial Leaders
Look for these and nurture them in your own context to improve the odds of success for your own startup:
Making the Most of the American Prairie
- Second Wind: Air-Breathing Lithium Batteries Promise Recharge-Free Long-Range Driving--If the Bugs Can Be Worked Out
Researchers predict a new type of lithium battery under development could give an electric car enough juice to travel a whopping 800 kilometers before it needs to be plugged in again--about 10 times the energy that today's lithium ion batteries supply.
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR)
- As Bison Return to Prairie, Some Rejoice, Others Worry
"Within this sea of agriculture there is room for small islands of conservation," said Sean Gerrity, president of the American Prairie Reserve, the charity that brought the group of genetically pure bison back to a pasture just north of the refuge.
- Bridger Photonics, Inc. of Bozeman, Montana Receives SBIR's Tibbetts Award
Bridger Photonics, Inc. - Our technologies help identify sources of pollution, help improve manufacturing quality and efficiency, and help in the fight against illicit drug use.
- Twitter Chat Experiment Under Way in the Silicon Valley
"We've made no conclusions yet with regard to effectiveness and whether or not it is a sustainable, viable communications channel between the city and community. But so far, the results are good."
- Why Big Sites Run Drupal
Drupal powers more than 150 sites for the federal government
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Andreessen Horowitz, Venture Capital Firm, To Give Half Profits To Charity
In an effort to kickstart more charitable giving around Silicon Valley, the six general partners at venture firm Andreessen Horowitz are pledging to give half of their lifetime income from venture capital activities to charity.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- A-list actors Sir Ben Kingsley, John Malkovich, Michael Sheen, Armie Hammer and Teresa Palmer star in Cut Bank, Montana-focused film - "Cut Bank"
"Cut Bank," is the story of auto mechanic Dwayne McLaren, a former high school football star who has never managed to leave Cut Bank. When the opportunity arrives for him to move to a bigger city with his girlfriend, Cassandra, a series of bad luck follows him, leaving a wake of destruction in the small Montana town.
- Mind-controlled robot gives paralyzed man mobility
Swiss scientists have demonstrated how a partially paralyzed person can control a robot by thought alone, a step they hope will one day allow immobile people to interact with their surroundings through so-called avatars.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page