|MATR Newsletter - Tue Mar 13, 2012|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein
UM, City And County Present At State Of The Community Event, 3/15, Missoula, Montana http://matr.net/events ... =4055 --- Montana Ambassadors Event - From Bootstrap To $1.5 Billion Acquistion, 3/15, Seattle, WA http://matr.net/events ... =4041 --- Student Assistance Foundation subsidiary plans to hire 100 in Helena, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Highway 12 Ventures
2012 Montana Politics and Legislature
- Highway 12 Ventures Portfolio News | February 2012
Kapost delivers "real" content marketing.
Come Home Montana
- Technology lets you follow, imagine how you'll be represented in Montana Legislature
These mapping tools, available on the Montana Legislature's website http://leg.mt.gov/css/Committees/Interim/2011-2012/Districting/maps.asp , make it all the easier for any citizen to have detailed information if you're telling people drawing the districts how you feel about it.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Dean of Students - University of Montana
This position is responsible for creating opportunities for students to be academically successful and that challenge students to be independent, responsible learners; implements programs and services that incorporate human diversity into experiences that empower students as leaders and promote a sense of belonging for students at The University of Montana.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Production Engineering Manager - REC Silicon
The successful candidate will possess strong managerial skills to direct and organize the Production Engineering resources in an efficient and effective manner while promoting a safe and positive work environment.
- Montana Career Opportunity - GIS Specialist / Map Application Developer - Montana Mapping & GPS, LLC.
Must have experience working with ArcGIS. Experience using database to query and edit Map data.
- Student Assistance Foundation subsidiary plans to hire 100 in Helena, Montana
Most of the positions they'll be filling are office-type work, ranging from entry-level receptionists to experienced accountants. All of the positions will be based in Helena.
- High School Business Professionals Compete in Helena, Montana
"There's nothing you can lose from it, it's something that's only going to make you a better person, it's only going to benefit you, it really makes you step out of your comfort zone and that's a good thing," said Molly McGonigal, Senior at Cascade High School.
- How To Be Creative - Brain Food for Missoula's Soul - BarCamp and Ignite on April 13-14
For prompting creativity, few things are as important as time devoted to cross-pollination with fields outside our areas of expertise.
Montana Economic Development
- Free shredding event a hit in Helena, Montana
The shred-a-thon event is part of National Consumer Protection Week and sponsored by the Montana Attorney General's Office, the Better Business Bureau and AARP. Montana Records Management, a Helena business, donated its shredding truck and personnel for such events across the state.
- On the cutting edge: Acutech expands waterjet, ironwork capabilities at new facility
"There wasn't anybody who did it all in one place," Grommet said. "Before, to get the service we offer, a person would need to go to three or more vendors."
- HeadRoom Electronics Triple Stack Awards Announcement
HeadRoom http://www.headphone.com is stoked to announce our flagship 'Triple Stack' balanced headphone system http://www.headphone.com/packages/triple-stack-balanced-ultra-desktop-package.php has garnered three Brutus Awards for 2011 from the audio reviewers at Positive Feedback Online Magazine.
- Billings, Montana based Home Science Tools helps you bring the world of science to life with engaging, hands-on science
Frank and Debbie Schaner started the company in 1994, when they realized how difficult it was to find the right supplies for doing science at home with their four children. Since then, they've been committed to making science both fun and accessible for families and classrooms.
- The great Conn tradition
Small-scale ranches are a disappearing breed.
- Export markets and impact on Montana industries/banks/investors
Anyone who's tried to visit Europe from a Montana airport knows it's a long way away. But money travels faster than luggage, and European financial struggles are raising ripples in Big Sky Country.
- Montana Governor Schweitzer meets with Irish Energy Minister about strategies to utilize renewable energy potential
"Ireland and Montana share many opportunities and challenges, particularly in energy policy. We each have globally significant reserves of renewable power, mostly in the form of wind energy, and common challenges around how to ensure these reserves are captured and put to good use in generating economic benefits for our peoples, and contribute to reduced green house gas emissions from fossil fuels." Gov. Brian Schweitzer
Come Home Utah
- Montana Conservation Corps Helps Veterans Get Back to Work
Three month program combines conservation, job skills training, and education
- Study Says Most IT Guys Are Ignorant
Why can't the IT guy fix your latest tech problem? Odds are, he's ignorant.
- On Utah's 'Silicon Slopes,' Tech Jobs Get A Lift - Skullcandy
While the boom in North Dakota is being driven by oil and gas, the hot job market in Utah is being powered by technology companies.
- New look, new data: YourEconomy.org Economic Gardening website gets major makeover
YE and YE+ provide timely, in-depth data about business activity within communities, tracking the performance of more than 24 million active establishments
- One of the most important Economic Gardening Strategies: Asset Quilting
See how this website, hosted by http://www.bigtent.com, provides us easy group communication - have discussions, share files, post news & events of interest to the group.
Incubators and R&D
- Boise State's few computer-science grads flooded with offers
Estimates of the current gap between the number of software developers that Boise State graduates and what industries in Idaho need range from a few hundred to 1,000.
- Matches Made in the Montana Wilderness, in the Name of Science - Bozeman, Montana based "Adventurers and Scientists for Conservation"
The program, which Mr. Treinish founded, enlists outdoor athletes as hardy field assistants to scientists in need of data from far-flung places.
- Washington State University venturing into pharmacogenomics
Washington State University is recruiting two genetics researchers to its Spokane campus to launch a $15 million research enterprise that will add 135 pharmaceutical scientists.
- Startup: Portland's Brightworks targets a new vein of sustainability
A passion for the environment pairs best with public policy, or at least that's what Scott Lewis thought until a series of technology startups that he launched convinced him otherwise.
- More Arizona startups taking root
The seeds of growth include more investments in local companies, a $3 million pool of state-sponsored grants and the growth of business incubators and accelerators across metro Phoenix.
Regional Economic Development
- Feds lift restrictions on Sterling Financial
"It's the last regulatory oversight for the company," she said. "We've completed this whole cycle of where we were in October 2009 to where we are now. It's really a fresh start for us."
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- States Beginning to Say: "We Want Our Money Back"
"Clawback" provisions in contracts require that companies repay cities and states if they fail to deliver the economic gains they've promised.
- What Works in Economic Development: Innovation?
The most obvious answer to the question of what works can be summed up in one essential concept: innovation.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- UM speaker: Educators must understand emerging technology
Faculty members should ask how they can create the best learning experience for students. "We need to do better about adapting to emerging technology,"
- Guidance Offered on Technology in Early Education - "Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs Serving Children from Birth through Age 8"
"With guidance, these various technology tools can be harnessed for learning and development; without guidance, usage can be inappropriate and/or interfere with learning and development."
Montana Education Excellence
- Missoula school's health clinic will be 1st of its kind in state
Schools in Missoula already serve as much more than learning institutions. Children are fed there and clothed there, and their parents and guardians sometimes even search for jobs in their family resource rooms.
- Montana State University hires Kregg Aytes as new Business College dean
MSU is a good fit, professionally and personally, Aytes said. He likes to ski, bike and backpack and likes "the emphasis Montana State's College of Business has on teaching and students." He added Bozeman's "dynamic" business community offers lots of opportunities for students.
- Southwest Angel Summit - April 1-2, 2012
If you angels can fit April 1st and 2nd into your busy schedules, here is a dynamite meeting annually held in Tucson and hosted by the Desert Angels: http://southwestangelsummit.org/.
Funding and Building your Business
- Helena, Bozeman, Butte ranked among top 'micropolitan' areas
"It is a tribute to people working together," said Marko Lucich, director of the Butte-Silver Bow Chamber of Commerce. "We took a team approach and are starting to see results."
- Butte Restoration Council Seeks Ideas For Multi-Million Dollar Fund
BNRC Chair, Elizabeth Erickson, said they need to hear local input so they can do what's right for the entire community.
Making the Most of the American Prairie
- SBA venture capital program may expand
SBICs are privately owned funds that are licensed by the SBA and raise their own capital to go along with money borrowed from the SBA. They then invest this money in small businesses.
- The Big Picture Trumps Technology Every Time
Reserve time daily to research the market, as well as technology.
- Technology Commercialization - Browse and Search for Technology Opportunities
http://www.TechWhiteboard.com helps entrepreneurs find exciting technology and licensing opportunities by making the information easily available.
- Older entrepreneurs find new niche in startups
Over the past decade, the highest rate of entrepreneurial activity belongs to the 55 to 64 age group, according to a study by the Kauffman Foundation, a Kansas City, Mo.-based entrepreneurship institute. The 20 to 34 age bracket has the lowest rate.
- Language Translation and Oracle-RightNow Client Relationship Solutions
Without a doubt, one of the most effective ways to build a relationship with customers is to speak to them in their language.
- Website Ads are Not a Revenue Stream for Startups
Unless you live in this world every day, you are probably as confused as I was by the different advertising models, so let me outline the common ones:
- How a Viral Video Helped Launch an Offbeat Product
Silly, super low-budget online videos are working extremely well for Orabrush, a small Utah-based company.
- Social Entrepreneurship: Why Mentors Matter
We feel our mentorship program is the secret sauce.
- Entrepreneurs Are Difficult At Best And Abrasive at Worst -- Get Over It
Even if 99% of people think you're reasonable, there will always be the 1% that thinks you're difficult.
- Finding Beta Testers at the Click of Button - BetaBait
Your friends and family will tell you your product is fantastic, so who can you get to spend their precious free time testing your wares (and do it for free)?
- The one question to never ask the FDA ... and other tips for FDA meetings
Just because you think you need a meeting doesn't mean the FDA thinks you need a meeting.
- Dangers in angel investing
Angel investors are funding much of the current startup boom, but startups should do their homework before signing over equity.
- ThreeTwoFive and Tech Coast Angels Los Angeles Network Launch Strategic Video Production Partnership
ThreeTwoFive will offer production of original, results-driven branded content for TCA's portfolio companies at budget-sensitive rates as well as support TCA LA's video production needs.
- 8 business analytics essentials Find out what business analytics can do for you - and how to get started
What's going on inside these marketleading companies that sets them apart?
- Is the End Near for Traditional Advertising?
The demise of in-your-face marketing and advertising is close at hand, to be replaced by what Facebook's Paul Adams terms a form of advertising that depends on "many lightweight interactions over time."
- Want To Be A Billionaire? Build One Of These Seven Businesses
Want to become a billionaire? Then you should try building one of the following seven companies, says Y-Combinator founder Paul Graham.
- The Board Of Directors - Selecting, Electing & Evolving
I am a fan of a three person Board early on in a company's life.
- Step Into the Extraordinary: 15 Ways to Become an Extraordinary Entrepreneur
Excellence leads to extraordinary things. But you aren't born extraordinary. You have to work at excellence -- foster it, nurture it, educate it. How?
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR)
- Elk Island bison from Alberta, Canada return to the American Prairie Reserve in Montana after 100 years
The Elk Island bison herd is highly regarded in conservation circles because it is the only source herd for bison proven to be free of cattle gene introgression, a rare distinction that relates to widespread attempts to breed bison with cattle, said Christensen.
- DOE releases research topics for SBIR/STTR Phase I Release 3 FOA!
DOE Announces $5.2 Million to Advance Heating and Cooling Systems and Other Building Efficiency Technologies
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Need help with simple SEO question
What's the best SEO strategy to get them a prominent position for search term 'hydro calculator' ?
- SXSW: Follow speeches, sounds along at home
Just because you can't get to Austin, Texas, doesn't mean you can't be a part of the South By Southwest Festival, which runs through March 18.
- Software Translates Your Voice into Another Language
The new technique could also be used to help students learn a language.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page