|MATR Newsletter - Fri Dec 9, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Looking ahead, it's impossible to say how the trip will ultimately affect the policies and direction of our state. But we know that the experience pushed all of us to consider new ideas and possibilities. And, I'm absolutely certain that those ideas - and the friendships we made as a result of this unique colloquium -- will come back to impact our state someday, somehow, in a positive and profound way." Anne Cantrell - The Burton K. Wheeler Center for Public Policy - Unique river setting sets excellent tone for colloquium for young Montanans http://matr.net/articl ... .html
City Club Missoula Presents: MCPS - 21st Century Model Of Change, 12/12, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Hellgate Venture Network - Holiday Drinks And Networking - 12/15, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Got Broadband? Building Businesses On Rural Broadband Investments -USDA Rural Development , 12/14, Online http://matr.net/events ... =3929
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- How We Tripled Our Facebook Fans In 8 Hours, 12/8, Webinar
We will show you how PFL http://www.printingforless.com launched a branded sweepstakes on Facebook, in just minutes, and then watched it go viral!
The Missoula Economic Partnership
- THIS Is The Future Of Work In America
If you want to place one solid bet on the future of jobs in America, this chart would be a pretty simple place to start.
- Missoula schools coping with homeless student issue
The district has upwards of 475 families that are either homeless or at risk of homelessness, and while keeping track of homeless families can be a challenge, it's nothing compared to what the children in these families are up against.
- Judges needed for Missoula County Public Schools Speech and Debate Meet, Dec. 9-10
They are looking for judges for an upcoming Speech and Debate meet December 9-10. A training session is required, two different sessions are being offered December 7th and 8th at Sentinel High at 7pm.
- Utah's Dual Immersion Program Builds Bilingual Utah Youth
Immersion students are better prepared for the global community and job markets where a second language is an asset.
Highway 12 Ventures
- Community alchemy - getting the lead out and reaching for the "gold"
"Community and economic development go hand in hand." Scottsburg Mayor William H. Graham
City Club Missoula
- Lijit Launches Audience Analytics Tool
Lijit said its new Advertiser Insights tool helps publishers see what the top brands are that align with their readers.
Hellgate Venture Network
- City Club Missoula Presents: MCPS - 21st Century Model Of Change, 12/12, Missoula
If you have wondered how students use technology to create their own music, learn about health science careers and opportunities or take classes for both high school and college credit, come to the City Club Missoula December forum.
The Burton K. Wheeler Center
- Hellgate Venture Network - Holiday Drinks And Networking - 12/15, Missoula, Montana
For our Thursday, December 15 meeting, Dawn has very kindly offered to host us at her home for Holiday drinks and networking!
- The Burton K. Wheeler Center for Public Policy - Unique river setting sets excellent tone for colloquium for young Montanans
We know that the experience pushed all of us to consider new ideas and possibilities. And, I'm absolutely certain that those ideas - and the friendships we made as a result of this unique colloquium -- will come back to impact our state someday, somehow, in a positive and profound way.
Come Home Montana
- Bozeman Ice Climbing Festival will draw climbers from around the country, raise money for plowing Hyalite Road
This week, ice climbers from around the country will head to Hyalite Canyon for the annual Bozeman Ice Climbing Festival.
Warren Miller Freedom Foundation
- A Different Kind of Valley for Tech Start-ups - Montana's Gallatin Valley
"It's a small town in southwestern Montana right in the mountains with fantastic schools and unbelievable opportunities for recreation, so we have people that come here from all over," he says of his 19-person team. "People come to [Bozeman] generally to look for a better, simpler way of life."
- Commercial about Billings, Montana target of Old Spice holiday campaign
The campaign is in its second day, and has thus far, MANta Claus has only granted gifts to people of two cities in the United States: the 2.6 million living in the metro area of Baltimore, Maryland... and the 158,000 living in the metro area of Billings, Montana.
- Montana Career Opportunity - City Attorney - The City of Helena
THE CITY of Helena currently has an opening for a Full-time City Attorney.
- Should entrepreneurship be taught in more public schools? NFTE New England says 'absolutely'
"I wasn't doing good. I got Ds and Fs. I had problems with showing up late," DeFelipo says. But ever since taking a course designed by the Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship, DeFelipo says, "I found a passion in entrepreneurship.
- Research on LigoCyte norovirus vaccine published in New England Journal of Medicine
"This is the first demonstration of protection in humans against what is a widespread and often serious illness and is a big development for the field," said the study's leader, Dr. Robert Atmar of Baylor College of Medicine.
Montana Economic Development
- Muzeview News: 4th Quarter 2011
This time we address question number two in our fifteen question series, "Has the firm made strategic decisions about which industries to target and focus on?"
- Broadband expansion: Essential to Montana small biz growth
When we started PFM Manufacturing, Inc. http://www.landtamer.com/ one of the many hurdles we had to overcome as a small business starting up in rural Montana was our remote location -- and to make matters worse, our lack of broadband access.
- Dave and Pauls Compound Butters are Now Available for On-line Purchase
They have also introduced a cookbook with over 30 recipes to accompany their butters which is also available via the on-line store.
- Sugar Slows Down Rust From Road Salts - Montana's Rivertop Renewables
By adding about one gallon for every thirteen of ordinary brine (a solution that is about 23 percent salt and 77 percent water), corrosion can be slowed by up to 70 percent, Dr. Dave Wilkening, product manager of corrosion sciences at Rivertop Renewables http://www.rivertop.com/ told Discovery News.
- Small Business Update from Montana Senator Jon Tester
Hearing directly from you about the challenges and potential solutions to the access to capital challenges in Montana will help me as we work together to address these issues.
Regional Economic Development
- Governor Schweitzer Announces Launch of Montana Winter Tourism Campaign Featuring Ski Film Legend Warren Miller
Features include renowned Skier and Cinematographer Warren Miller, Olympic Mogul Skier Heather McPhie, and X-Games medalist Kevin Connolly
- Which States Are Growing More Competitive?
In many ways, individual U.S. states are like 50 laboratories where differing public policy, industry focus, and economic development strategies are tried and tested.
- Western Governors Adopt Policies on Job Creation, Visa Reform and the Youth Conservation Corp
"One of the bright spots in the Western economy the past few years has been the tourism and recreation industries," said Gov. Chris Gregoire (Wash.), Chair of the Western Governors' Association.
Developing Funding Opportunities in Montana
- Boulder Courts Students For Startups
Startup Colorado is launching a new effort called Startup Summer, which will bring a total of 30 students to Boulder to work as summer interns at 30 different, Boulder early stage companies.
- Most Great Entrepreneurs Don't Drop Out of Harvard
Study entrepreneurship, but major in something else.
- How to Save an Unproductive Day in 25 Minutes
Not only do unproductive days detract from the success of your projects, your team and your organization; they can endanger your own well-being.
Funding and Building your Business
- Angel Capital Association Supports Crowdfunding Legislation
"If a company cannot get financing from a bank, an SBA loan, a venture capital fund, or even friends and family, it is probably because there is a significant risk that the investment is extremely risky," Herstein told Congress. "The critical questions are: Have these sources stopped funding small businesses? If so, why?
Incubators and R&D
- Five reasons businesses suck at using social media to talk to each other
How are brands and businesses failing to engage with one another?
- The New Way to Build a Successful Startup - Lean and On Target
"What's different in the Valley is that we've found a quasi-scientific method for reinventing businesses and industries, not just products."
- EMC Survey: Only One-Third of Companies Making Effective Use of Data
What's needed to fully realize its value is a vibrant, interconnected, highly-skilled and empowered data science community to reveal relevant trend patterns and uncover new insights hidden within."
- 10 Steps To Great Leadership
I never went to CEO school. But here's how I learned to drive my business forward profitably. Hint: It's not just about number crunching.
- Contently.com - How a Startup Went From Zero Revenue to $1 Million in a Year [VIDEO]
Watch Snow's interview to hear about his experience going through the TechStars mentorship program, raising money and how his experience of losing a big sale helped him better understand Contently's business model.
- Why Founders Get Fired
Entrepreneurs are often ousted from the companies they start. Management experts weigh in on why founder succession happens, and how you can avoid it.
- The One Question Every Interviewer Should Ask Each Candidate
One particular line of questioning that I found most useful, and research suggests is very revealing as to what motivates and drives an individual to eventual success, is as follows:
- Test Your Innovation IQ
Test your ability to separate innovation fact from fiction by answering the following questions
- Don't try to solve customer complaints on the fly
Having a process to resolve complaints will help assure that you deal with the emotional and practical aspects of the issue at hand.
Montana Education Excellence
- Big data can lead to big breakthroughs in research
"The scale and scope of changes that big data are bringing about are at an inflection point, set to expand greatly, as a series of technology trends accelerate," the McKinsey report stated. "We are on the cusp of a tremendous wave of innovation, productivity and growth."
- Montana education initiative expanding to include health services - Join the Schools of Promise Campaign
"To meet their health needs, their physical needs and their emotional needs, we look at a school as a one-stop shop where services can be provided on-site." Montana Superintendent Juneau
- Gynii Gilliam named Idaho's chief economic development officer
Gilliam will lead the agency's economic development team and will be responsible for creating economic growth across all industry sectors for the state of Idaho.
- Walker Tracker, a Northeast Portland software start-up, measures its considerable progress
"We are the only company allowing companies to compete against one another (or between operating divisions), while maintaining total privacy and control of their employee portal," says Mays. He adds that Walker Tracker is good at delivering tailored programs to medium and small businesses -- many of their competitors focus on large corporations.
Utah Economic Development
- USTAR e-Connections: December 7, 2011
Entrepreneurial innovators will assemble in The Leonardo to battle it out for the coveted title of "Innovation Idol."
- Utah business leaders want $128 million more for schools
Performance pay for teachers, more college scholarships, and ACT exams for all 11th-graders are among more than a dozen items Utah's business leaders want to see lawmakers fund this legislative session.
Washington State Business
- Microsoft, GE Joint Venture to Create Healthcare IT Software Launches, With Big Salt Lake Presence
The new venture combines a number of Microsoft healthcare product lines with GE's own healthcare IT products, and will offer up a healthcare performance management suite to customers.
- Providence Health & Services bringing 250 billing jobs to Spokane
"It's a gift when we really need it," Hadley said, providing a boost in jobs at time when unemployment locally is at 8.3 percent.
- Feds Find Fracking-Pollution Link in Wyoming
In a first, federal environment officials today scientifically linked underground water pollution with hydraulic fracturing, concluding that contaminants found in central Wyoming were likely caused by the gas drilling process.
- Positive Lessons from and for the States
It's very much worth highlighting that five of these states - South Dakota, Nevada, Texas, Wyoming and Washington - impose no personal income, individual capital gains, corporate income, and corporate capital gains taxes. That's good news for entrepreneurship and investment, and they combine for a huge competitive advantage.
Connectivity & Communications
- Missoula City Councilman Bob Jaffe Launches Missoula.gov blog to Keep Public Informed
After nearly six years of sending out my council updates through my list serve I've decided to supplement this service with this blog.
Energy and Climate Change
- Maybe the tech industry can save the web after all. - Tech firms fight SOPA by talking job creation
Perhaps "jobs" will be the secret code that gives the tech industry real respect from Washington.
- Buying a TV? Look for orange if you want to be greeen
The technology website CNET recently reported that there is a $50 difference in annual electricity costs between the least efficient and most efficient 55-inch flat-screen HDTVs around.
- One Montana Nonprofit Will Be Selected For A Free Custom Website from K Design Marketing
The world would not be the same without people volunteering to help where they can or give money to nonprofits to help these organizations do their job more efficiently.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page