|MATR Newsletter - Tue Nov 8, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
The tax which will be paid for the purpose of education is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests, and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance. -- Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826).
Outside magazine says Whitefish, Montana's River Design Group is one of the nation's "Best Places to Work." http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Missoula Schools Excellence
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Missoula County Public Schools (MCPS) Earns Distinction on 2nd Annual 'AP' District Honor Roll
Missoula County Public Schools (MCPS) http://www.mcps.k12.mt.us/ is one of fewer than 400 public school districts in the nation being honored by the College Board with a place on the 2nd Annual AP (Advanced Placement) Honor Roll, for simultaneously increasing access to AP coursework while maintaining the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher on AP exams.
Highway 12 Ventures
- Using LEAD Skills to Build Intellectual Alliances with Parents
"In short, our young people are now in direct competition with youth from developing countries for many of what traditionally have been considered our 'good middle-class white-collar" jobs.
- Bozeman High Schoolers Shadow MSU Pre-Med Students To Prepare For College
"It's designed to be an outreach project for high school students who come here and shadow a college student who's interested in a career in a health profession," said MSU Health Professions Club President, Joey Steffens.
- Waldorf Education in Public Schools
In the quest to fix ailing schools, should we slow down to move faster?
- Rural Dynamics program roots out cyclical poverty by educating youth
The course has seen phenomenal success.
Come Home Montana
- Highway 12 Ventures - Portfolio News | October 2011
At Highway 12 Ventures we have one goal, to partner with the most promising high-growth start-up companies in the Intermountain West to build lasting, market leading companies.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - Optical Supervisor - Lattice Materials LLC
This job requires expertise and skill in maintaining established standards of quality and accuracy in fabricating optical components for high-end military and commercial applications.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Information Analyst - Northwestern Energy
The Information Analyst will work in a team environment to provide superior customer service as well as operate as a specialist in Data Center and related functions relative to the service and support of NorthWestern Energy's business technology systems.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Marketing Supervisor, Missoula Federal Credit Union
If awesome benefits and a great work environment are what you are looking for, then consider us!
- Montana Career Opportunity - Senior Internet Programmer, Marketing Coordinator - Merlin Information Services
Merlin Information Services provides access to public record and other databases to investigative professionals who skiptrace, look for assets, run background checks, or perform investigative work. Our reputation for high-quality data and flexible search and retrieval software makes Merlin a leader in the public record industry.
- Flathead Valley Community College Launches "Career Coach" To Provide Career Searches
"We are very excited to offer our community this simple, easy-to-use Web-based tool" said Karen Darrow, career development coordinator. "It's an excellent way to learn about the necessary training and education needed to become qualified for specific jobs."
- SBA Kicks Off Young Entrepreneur Series
"For our economy to thrive in the 21st century, we must set about creating the next generation of entrepreneurs."
Montana Economic Development
- Missoula-based Rivertop Renewables secures $1.5M investment
The latest investment from Cultivian Ventures, a $34-million venture capital fund that focuses its investments on high-technology opportunities in the food and agricultural sectors, will help in that effort, said Jason Kiely, the Missoula company's vice president of marketing and administration.
- How young businesses compete in tough industries - Tipu's Chai Inc. in Polson, Montana
Patel emphasizes the importance of targeting: "I thought about some large cafe chains until I realized that because I have a quality product, I want to be in businesses that are quality-oriented. We've leaned toward pitching to higher-end cafes and retail outlets. Focus helped us get noticed more."
- Outside magazine says Whitefish, Montana's River Design Group is one of the nation's "Best Places to Work."
The aquatic restoration company has built an impressive resume since it was founded in 2003, perhaps because productivity is rewarded with powder days and lunchtime trail rides are a non-negotiable luxury.
University of Montana & Montana State University Tech Transfer
- Fundraising nearly complete to establish Bozeman-New York direct flight
Local companies and organizations have raised almost all the $688,000 needed to cover the local share of a $955,000 federal grant to establish a direct flight from New York City to Bozeman.
- Bozeman Economic Development Council struggling to measure its progress
Just which cities Bozeman competes with was a matter up for discussion.
- Kalispell Chamber offers portal to Tools for Business Success
The program will be introduced to the membership during the November luncheon meeting on Wednesday, November 9 at the Red Lion Hotel.
- Karina Edmonds: A New Tech Transfer Advocate at DOE
With unemployment affecting 9 percent of Americans and politicians of both parties talking constantly about the need for jobs, an important but neglected directive in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 is finally getting the attention it deserves.
- RentAStudent connects startups with hungry, eager students
"A lot of businesses are struggling now to get all the work they need done with small budgets, and a lot of students are looking for ways to get exposure." RentAStudent CEO Morgan Dierstein told VentureBeat. "We help both parties connect."
Funding and Building your Business
- 4 NW Ohio businesses to try 'economic gardening' strategy
The program is reserved for "stage two" companies, meaning companies with six to 99 employees and bringing in annual revenue between $750,000 and $50 million.
Incubators and R&D
- Dave McClure's 10 tips for the perfect investment pitch
"If you're constructing a way to present your story, you should be aware that most investors have small attention spans", says McClure. "They may be late to the meeting, they may be reading other stuff on their iPhone. So you want to organize your information in a way that allows them to process it more efficiently".
- 10 Preparation Steps to Win an Angel Investment
What is this daunting process, and what can you do to optimize your chances of surviving it?
- McKinsey Says Big Data Can Change The Way Business Operates
"Over time, we believe big data may well become a new type of corporate asset that will cut across business units and function much as a powerful brand does, representing a key basis for competition. If that's right, companies need to start thinking in earnest about whether they are organized to exploit big data's potential and to manage the threats it can pose. Success will demand not only new skills but also new perspectives on how the era of big data could evolve--the widening circle of management practices it may affect and the foundation it represents for new, potentially disruptive business models..."
- Understanding Term Sheets
Learn the in's and out's of term sheets to negotiate the best terms for your startup
- Customer Centric Trumps Customer Service Every Time
Customer centricity is a strategy to fundamentally align a company's products and services with the wants and needs of its most valuable customers, with the aim of more profits for the long term.
- Google+ expands, offers pages to businesses
In a blog post, Vic Gundotra, Google senior vice president of engineering, said the company wants "to make sure you can build relationships with all the things you care about -- from local businesses to global brands."
Montana Education Excellence
- Incubating Success: Incubation Best Practices That Lead to Successful New Ventures
The purpose of this study is to test whether there is a causal relationship between business incubation practices and client firm success, particularly after these firms have moved out of - or graduated - from the incubation program.
- K-12 STEM Educational Outreach Opportunities. SAE/AWIM Joins Forces with Montana Office of Public Instruction STEM Program
RMAI is seeking the support of business and industry leaders. Please jump on board this initiative by first checking out http://www.awim.org.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- AfterCollege Raises Venture Capital Funding From Flywheel Ventures for Entry-Level Professional Networking
In partnering with the company, our Flywheel Ventures team is excited to help AfterCollege expand its ability to create broader and deeper relationships between employers, educational institutions, and job seekers."
Oregon Economic Development
- North Dakota only state to report positive economic growth
Bloomberg also reported that North Dakota was the only state in the nation to experience a positive economic index. With the exception of North Dakota, economic conditions in all other states are worse than they were at the end of 2008, according to the study.
- Urban Airship raises $15.1 million amid rising prospects for Portland startups
Oregon startups are enjoying their best year for funding since the dot-com era, raising $110 million in investment through the first nine months of 2011.
- Oregon Entrepreneurs Network Updates
OEN fosters the flow of entrepreneurial ideas, services, and capital to entrepreneurs and helps connect emerging Northwest businesses to growth-stimulating expertise and valuable resources.
- Laramie, Wyoming's Envision Financials simplifies business data
"I'm a CPA and I'm also a sculptor, and I put the two together," co-founder Jeremy Page said.
Energy and Climate Change
- Why Science Majors Change Their Minds (It's Just So Darn Hard)
Studies have found that roughly 40 percent of students planning engineering and science majors end up switching to other subjects or failing to get any degree.
- Why Do B-Schools Still Teach The Famed 4P's Of Marketing, When Three Are Dead?
Companies can no longer use them to gain a competitive advantage and meaningful differentiation. In fact, they more and more look like the roadmap to failure.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Can Chris Corbin's (Lotic Water Marketing) Water Bank Help Montana Solve its Water Troubles?
If his idea works, it'll be the latest in a series of projects in the West that use water rights markets to remedy environmental problems.
- Drivers Generate Electricity With Speed Bumps
"New Energy can offset the city's cost of operating traffic control devices, such as traffic signals and street lights," said Mark Jamison, Roanoke's Transportation manager. "This innovative partnership with New Energy Technologies has the potential to provide a more sustainable environment, while simultaneously conserving strained budgets of cities across the nation."
- IBM training computer chip to learn like a human
Synapse was designed to learn through experience, find correlations, create hypotheses and remember outcomes.
- Platform connects artists and entrepreneurs with charities for joint fundraising
Entrepreneurs and creative initiatives can post their project proposals for free to HelpersUnite.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page