|MATR Newsletter - Tue Sep 20, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"I believe in America and I want to help put America back to work. The sunflower is a new way to look at business." Rob Ryan The Sunflower Matrix: Introducing A New Model For Business Success, 10/06, Hamilton, Montana http://matr.net/articl ... .html
Business Resources How can the Montana Department of Commerce help you? http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- NorthWestern Energy Giving Away Free Weatherization Kits to Qualifying Customers in Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Globalization Partners International
Montana Department of Commerce
- How RoboHelp 9 benefits Website Language Translation Projects - 1
One of the biggest challenges most clients have in managing the source language content for Help Systems is keeping content in sync and managing the review and collaboration process.
- Big Sky Economic Development Trust Fund (BSTF) - Aid in the development of good paying jobs for Montana residents
It is designed to aid in the development of good paying jobs for Montana residents and promote long-term stable economic growth in Montana.
- Montana's Primary Sector Workforce Training Grant Program - grant funds to businesses for training of new full-time and part-time workers.
The Committee may award workforce training grants to primary sector businesses that provide education or skills-based training for new employees.
- Business Resources How can the Montana Department of Commerce help you?
The Montana Finance Information Center website contains links to virtually all of the common state, federal, and local business finance programs and technical assistance providers.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- NorthWestern Energy Giving Away Free Weatherization Kits to Qualifying Customers in Montana
In an effort to help Montana residents become more energy efficient this winter, NorthWestern Energy is inviting qualifying natural gas customers to attend a Weatherization Event in their area.
The Burton K. Wheeler Center
- White House makes 'Digital Promise' to schools
Obama administration officials will draw on expertise of tech industry, higher education to determine how educators can best use technology
- Cool science: The Charlie McDonnell Effect
There are millions of teens the world over who listen to what he says, are inspired by it, and act on it - actively engaging in a growing community, rather than passively absorbing received wisdom.
Come Home Montana
- Wheeler Conference: Legal marijuana undermines drug war, official says
While the crowd at the conference seemed to hold ranging opinions on medical marijuana, nearly everyone agreed that the current system is not working.
Three Cups of Tea - The Central Asia Institute
- Liberty County, Montana flourishing
Paul Tuss, executive director of the five-county Bear Paw Development Corporation http://www.bearpaw.org/ , heard talk that a new Hutterite colony was established in Liberty County during the decade, which could have accounted for as much as two-thirds of the population growth.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Communications Manager for Montana Tourism PR Initiative - The Montana Lodging and Hospitality Association (MLHA)
The Montana Lodging and Hospitality Association (MLHA) Board of Directors is looking to contract with an independent fulltime Communications Manager to implement an aggressive public relations campaign to highlight the importance of tourism to our state's economy.
- GSK Biologicals Hamilton Announces Big Sky Economic Development Grant to Hire Up To 32 Employees
The majority of new hires will be scientifically based positions working primarily in the manufacturing center of the Hamilton facility.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Vice President of Finance, Business & Administration - Salish Kootenai College
This senior management position serves in an executive capacity reporting to the College President for overall planning, operation, and evaluation of the College's non-academic programs and services.
Montana Economic Development
- '3 Cups of Tea' author, Greg Mortenson turns down $100K award from university
"We, like millions of others, have been inspired by Greg's work and we share his commitment to education and to his belief that we can provide a more peaceful future for all our children through knowledge and friendship," University of Louisville Provost Shirley Willihnganz said.
Regional Economic Development
- Senator Baucus Announces New Resource for Montana Small Businesses to thrive
Bank of Montana http://www.bankofmontana.com/ anticipates a 65% increase in small business lending in the next 90 days, and it anticipates 100% increase over the next 6 months. Bank of Montana CEO and President Tom Swenson says they have immediately rolled out this new opportunity to small businesses.
- Iowa wind power progress an example for Montana
By attracting both the presence of the wind industry and the manufacturing industry to support it, Iowa is experiencing economic recovery amid the recession.
- Survey to Capture Billings' Interest in Additional Air Service
Big Sky Economic Development this week released an online survey to gauge business travelers' interest in adding additional flights from Billings.
- Great Falls, Montana downtown business plan wins award
The plan was developed over the course of a year with nearly 100 community members participating in the process.
- Economic development benefits from research
There is a positive correlation between money spent on research and economic development.
- Coworking to Quick-Start Rural Innovation
Coworking supports and cultivates diverse, collaborative small enterprises, a class of economic activity that's essential to building sustainable rural economies.
Funding and Building your Business
- Autistic and Seeking a Place in an Adult World
People with autism, whose unusual behaviors are believed to stem from variations in early brain development, typically disappear from public view after they leave school.
Incubators and R&D
- Convertible Debt - The Discount
The idea behind the discount is that investors should get, or require, more upside than just the interest rate associated with the debt for the risk that they are taking by investing early.
- Mentor Secrets for Keeping Your Startup Alive
Every startup mentor has his favorite list of basic strategies to avoid pitfalls, and I'm no exception. If my experience and insights can save just one founder from the stress, lost time, and lost money associated with a startup misstep, then I'm a happy man. I offer these pragmatic recommendations:
- When Government Backs Your Business Loan
With several weeks left in the fiscal year, the Small Business Administration's two main lending programs have already surpassed a record-high $18 billion in guaranteed loans issued through banks and other conventional lenders, agency data show. That's more than double the full-year total in 2009.
- How to Get Your Startup from Point A to Point B
There are three elements that can lead you in the wrong direction. Beware of these and don't let any of them steer you astray:
- Developing a Leadership Training Program for High Potentials: A Case Study
These organizations who are interested in recruiting from within will look to identify "high potentials" already working within the organization in a variety of roles.
- How To Work With A Website Designer
I can't count the number of clients who have come to me crying (occasionally with real tears), claiming they spent X amount of time and dollars on a website and still don't have what they want and need. Given the tight budgets most small businesses operate on, getting it right the first time is critical. To save you some pain, here are just a few things to consider:
- Clive Thompson on the Problem With Online Ads
A new generation of web entrepreneurs has discovered the joys of charging users cold, hard cash.
- Adopt the New Startup Model: Nail It Then Scale It
At the heart of it, to be a successful entrepreneur you have to be totally customer centric, and learn to change and adapt as fast as the market.
- 5 Ways Customer Stories Build Brands
The sooner you start using customer stories, the sooner you can start enjoying the benefits they bring to your brand.
Montana Education Excellence
- Portland couple pledge $25 million to boost nutrition research at Oregon Health & Science University
"My wife and I are in our 80s and we decided it's time to take a look at what we should do with our success," Moore said. "These people are helping so many others."
- U. researchers find another new use for radio wave technology
"I really believe we're at the tip of the iceberg at what we can do."
- Montana's Salish Kootenai College dedicates state-of-the-art science research labs
"When a student from Fort Belknap, which is very rural and very disadvantage school system, can stand in lab in Harvard- which supposed to be our premier research institution- and says I can do that, that tells me I think we're doing something right here."
- Montana State University President Cruzado announces formation of MSU President's Commission on Status of University Women
"My charge to the commission is to identify areas of concern and to help us go forward," Cruzado said. "Together, we will become the best university possible, a university where differences of any kind are respected and where bias of any kind is nonexistent."
- Center of attention - Locals combine talents to create HubWorks
"Our efficiency solutions allow establishments to capitalize on sales that are sometimes missed during peak hours."
Oregon Economic Development
- A Vancouver man's race to invention with The Roll-It
It's nearly unheard of for a first-time inventor to land in a major retailer's health and beauty care aisle, a highly competitive category dominated by multinational corporations. And yet for Peterson, 71, the work has just begun.
Washington State Business
- Oregon State University posts record $4M in tech transfer income
And the Corvallis campus said that figure could rise even higher with the passage of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, the patent reform bill expected to be signed Friday by President Barack Obama.
Canada Business & Economic Development
- Luring tourists to Washington state becomes private effort
This summer, cash-strapped Washington became the only state in the nation to close its tourism office. Now, a private group of tourism boosters is trying to promote Washington state to visitors.
- Exclusive club for millionaire investors launches Calgary chapter
"Tiger 21 has become an amazing international think tank of ultra-successful individuals, who have made it their responsibility to be better stewards of their wealth."
Energy and Climate Change
- Georgia's Quick Start - customized workforce training free-of-charge to qualified businesses in Georgia.
- Montana State University scientist finds link to Montana weather extremes
Montana State University Professor Emeritus Joseph Caprio found a significant link between Montana's weather and the ocean temperatures near Peru by comparing two databases.
- TED Video: Niall Ferguson: The 6 killer apps of prosperity
He suggests half a dozen big ideas from Western culture -- call them the 6 killer apps -- that promote wealth, stability and innovation. And in this new century, he says, these apps are all shareable.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page