|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jun 28, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Never make forecasts, especially about the future." -Samuel Goldwyn
The 10 Best States for Entrepreneurship and Innovation- Montana 4th in Nation http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- For B-School's Entrepreneurship Program, free tuition for a stake in the company http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- US unveils tools to protect business websites from hackers http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Globalization Partners International
- Social Media Localization
Localization means adapting all of your content to different local cultures. It involves more than just translation as it includes all aspects of communication.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Your Business Card Is A Billboard For Your Brand--What Does Yours Say?
A powerful brand should be able to explain their mission in a single paragraph--the fewer words, the better. But what most brands forget is that their business card is indeed their "napkin," a blank canvas enabling them to communicate the essence of their brand (or fail to do so).
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- How current brain research can improve education
From understanding how multimedia and physical exercise can affect classroom instruction, to appreciating the influence of art and reading on brain development, to taking the first steps in realizing the mind mechanics of autism, researchers know more today than ever before on what techniques can have the biggest impact on teaching and learning.
- Collaborize Classroom™ allows teachers to extend their classroom discussions to a structured and private online community...and it's free!
"Collaborize Classroom is the perfect tool to expand student confidence, engagement and comprehension. With its easy-to-use interface, Collaborize Classroom is the most effective online discussion platform on the market."
- Every day is Science Friday
Got some science you want to share? We're looking for your science-related audio, video, link suggestions, and story tips
- Website offers ad-free learning activities for kids - ABCmouse.com an "Early Learning Academy"
ABCmouse.com provides kids with an online classroom in which to explore math, reading, science, social studies, art and music.
- Camp introduces rural students to health care jobs
"We get to do stuff no one else gets to do."
- New PBS resource could help advance digital learning
"What we're looking at is not the Digital Learning Library and not Teachers' Domain, but building on those collective resources for a new service that draws on the strength of both of those efforts and is meant to reach out to all stations throughout the system, and through those stations to a whole range of different kinds of partnerships in the system."
Big Sky Commerce
- New leadership course available for MSU freshmen
A leadership development training class for incoming Montana State University freshmen that will allow an opportunity to connect with classmates while discussing and practicing leadership skills is now available through MSU's Leadership Fellows Program.
- 2011 Big Sky Commerce Charity Golf Tournament - Registration Info
You and your colleagues, spouses, friends, and family are cordially invited to attend our August 24th charity golf tournament, benefitting Tamarack Grief Resource Center http://www.tamarackgriefresourcecenter.org/.
Come Home Montana
- Island getaway centered on Salmon Lake, Montana
The lodge is situated in middle of Salmon Lake and unless the lake is frozen, you have to get there by boat. But once a group rents the lodge, the whole island is theirs.
- More tourists skip the beach to vacation on farms, ranches
CNN reported earlier this month that http://www.FarmStayUS.com lists 700 farm and ranch stays nationwide -- twice the number it started with one year ago. Twenty of the listings are within 50 miles of Bozeman.
- Explore Yellowstone National Park
The Lamar Valley on Yellowstone National Park's northeastern corner lacks hot springs and geyser fields, so maybe that's why wolves like it.
Come Home Washington
- Montana Career Opportunity - Network Administrator/Manager - American Federal Savings Bank
This position will be responsible for the secure operations and support of all in-house computer systems, servers, workstations and network infrastructure.
- Montana Career Opportunity - IT Manager - Mountain West Bank
The Information Technology Manager is responsible for administering the Bank's local, wide, wireless, Internet, and Intranet networks, telephone and Voice Over IP (VoIP) systems, and all related software programs.
Three Cups of Tea - The Central Asia Institute
- Washington state Career opportunity - Sr. GIS Analyst - TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) is a leading provider of mission-critical wireless data solutions to government customers, public safety, and carriers.
- Supporters have questions, but keep faith in Greg Mortenson and his cause - "Three Cups of Tea"
Even as Mortenson recuperates from heart surgery and faces the pending Montana investigation, CAI's mission continues in some of the most difficult and isolated places on Earth
Montana Economic Development
- Missoula based security business, Lake Missoula Group LLC goes on offensive: Internet consulting firm looks to preempt attacks
Sherri Davidoff and Jonathan Ham are a husband and wife team of security consultants who are pioneering the ever-expanding global field of IT security from their office in downtown Missoula.
Regional Economic Development
- Longtime banker Jim Beaton takes control of Missoula Area Economic Development Corporation
"There may be some other changes, but in the long run MAEDC will be in the loan business and helping business in Missoula and around the state," he said. "With the new economic development group, we see ourselves continuing in the role as a lender to startups and other kinds of business."
- APEC summit offered opportunity to Montana businesses thanks to Senator Max Baucus
Expanding trade and investment and fostering Montana's growth and prosperity, will continue long into the future, thanks to this effort by Montana Sen. Max Baucus.
- The 10 Best States for Entrepreneurship and Innovation- Montana 4th in Nation
In the long run, we want the fastest growing states to be the ones where innovation happens.
- Idaho Gov. Otter talks about Western Governors' goals
I have found a lot more comfort ... and productivity with the Western Governors than any of the other governors organizations.
- Ten Things That Can Get You Fired
"If you have created a situation for yourself where there's some level of dissatisfaction with your performance, any organization will figure out where there is an option or a point of entry where they can separate you from them."
Funding and Building your Business
- "Companies to Watch" a great success and growing
It always stuns people to see all of the below-the-radar growth companies in a state. This program changes the conversation.
- MN economist calculates big bang for arts bucks
Artists and designers are core employees in our cultural industries.
Incubators and R&D
- On Bubbles ... And Why it Will All be Fine
Why I believe we're in a bubble
- Understand work comp to cut costs
Some commonly overlooked costs impacting the nation's small businesses are those associated with workers' compensation insurance, which is often misunderstood and frequently thought of in the same terms as other insurance products.
- You Never Learn Anything While You are Talking
If someone left this article on your desk, read extra carefully.
- A Healthy Startup Requires a Healthy Entrepreneur
There is no single formula for how to stay healthy while starting and running an exciting but demanding new business, but here are a few suggestions, depending on your lifestyle:
- How to Surround Yourself with People Better than Yourself
Greatness happens when you let go.
- Six Things Entrepreneurs Know That Are Dead Wrong
The challenge for every entrepreneur, is to find that right balance between the myths and reality of business, and the power and inspiration of an innovative design.
- Problem Solvers Focus on the Problem, Not the Solution
If you've ever wondered how Apple makes one breakthrough product after another, here's how:
- Profiting from the Web and Thirsty Chickens - The Avian Aqua Miser
Mark Hamilton artfully solved a major problem with an invention he calls The Avian Aqua Miser http://www.avianaquamiser.com/ : a nipple on a plastic container that allows chickens to drink the water only as they need it, a drop at a time.
- 4 legal pitfalls startup owners must face
There are many of legal pitfalls that you need to overcome, in addition to the day-to-day challenges.
Montana Education Excellence
- Obama Calls on University Research to Help Create Manufacturing Jobs
Manufacturing innovations discovered at universities often center on improving products, which can increase sales and thereby boost employment.
University Business Plan Competitions
- University of Montana hosts gifted high school students to be mentored by the best and the brightest
Although University of Montana http://www.umt.edu/future.aspx President, Royce Engstrom stressed the benefit to students at the summit, he said the university benefitted as well. "It helps put us on the map as a place of intellectual stimulation."
- Business Wire Offers College Students the Chance to Win a Trip to Meet Warren Buffett in New York City with 50th Anniversary College Video Contest
The contest, open to full-time U.S. and Canadian students enrolled in a two- or four-year college, provides an opportunity for the next generation of communicators to share their vision of where they see public relations and communications headed in the coming years. Video submissions will be reviewed by a special judging committee of Business Wire senior managers on creativity, originality and appropriateness to theme.
Washington State Business
- New laws to give Gov. John Kitzhaber far greater control over Oregon schools
"With this change, it's more important than ever for people who care about education to get involved in the election of the next governor."
- Recession forces states to rethink tourism funding
By the end of this week, Washington will close its official tourism agency and become the only state to cease all state funding for self-promotion.
- Study shows Wyoming community colleges have $866M impact
For every dollar of this support, the study says taxpayers see a cumulative return of $1.40 over the course of students' working careers in the form of higher tax receipts and avoided costs.
Connectivity & Communications
- The United States needs 20 million more college-educated workers by 2025.
There are two main ways to increase college going rates, he said -- with additional money for students and/or institutions, or increased efficiency in the higher education system.
- For B-School's Entrepreneurship Program, free tuition for a stake in the company
"It was either I could take this opportunity or end up going to my local community college," Turcotte says. "For me, it was my ticket to go to the university I wanted to go to."
Energy and Climate Change
- US unveils tools to protect business websites from hackers
The Homeland Security Department will help small companies and nonprofit groups avoid programming problems that allow hackers to get into the businesses' websites.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Compressed-Air System Could Aid Wind Power
The technology could allow for a wider use of compressed-air storage, which in turn could make renewable energy more attractive, since it would allow wind power generated at night to be stored until daylight hours, when demand is higher.
- American climate skeptic Willie Soon funded by oil, coal firms
"A campaign of climate change denial has been waged for over twenty years by Big Oil and Big Coal."
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Volkswagen debuts system to let cars drive themselves
Volkswagen has debuted a new convenience feature that would allow vehicles to drive by themselves at speeds of up to 80 miles per gallon.
- When Will Humans Merge With Machines?
Futurist Ray Kurzweil says technology merging humans and computers is advancing on many levels to enhance both body and mind.
- Documentary about Montana-raised Cowboy getting national attention. "Buck" tells the story of horseman Buck Brannaman
Brannaman grew up in the small community of Norris and inspired the 1998 Robert Redford movie "The Horse Whisperer."
- More Montana artists going online to raise funds for their projects
Damon Ristau is neither the first nor the last artist around western Montana to discover the upside of so-called "crowdfunding."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page