|MATR Newsletter - Tue May 31, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose."
Missoula Schools Excellence
Montana Department of Commerce
- Hall Passages: A year inside Missoula, Montana's schools
We found 28 separate stories of education that go far beyond the "three R's" of learning, stories of passionate students and passionate teachers dedicated to turning young minds into thinking, creative, insightful minds.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Montana Office of Tourism Launches New Mobile Site
"The Montana Office of Tourism has done a great job reaching out to visitors and providing them with the information they need to plan a Montana vacation," said Dore Schwinden, Director of the Montana Department of Commerce.
Highway 12 Ventures
- Feds to schools: Make sure ed-tech programs are accessible
Education Department urges school leaders to build accessibility for students with disabilities into their ed-tech specifications
- Entrepreneurship Policies for Children and Youth
Introduce formal entrepreneurship classes in schools.
- Building schools for the 21st century will take courage
Maybe you've been worried, like I have, that moving further and faster toward digital classrooms will leave poor schools and families behind. Those who have computers will flourish. Those without will founder.
- The Bilingual Advantage
Among other benefits, the regular use of two languages appears to delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease symptoms.
- buildOn -
"You're nothing until you find your give-a-damn. buildOn is where I've found mine." - Kasie Udo-okoye, buildOn student
- Early Education Funding Linked with Third Grade Outcomes
Smart Start is a state-funded program that provides high-quality early education and care and other services for children from birth to age 5.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Boise State is Helping to Shape Tomorrow's Leaders
Participants are continually asked: so, what do you want, what's getting in your way, and what can you do differently-better to move towards those goals and outcomes.
- Hong Kong Launches All-Chinese .hk Domain Names
The official launch of the all-Chinese .hk domain name will span all seven categories of domain names available in Hong Kong
- TREK: Dorsey And Whitney, 6/13, Bozeman, Montana
Learn the top 10 things you should think about when starting a business.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Tenkara Summit - USA (A new (ancient) way to fish), 8/27, West Yellowstone, Montana
Tenkara, literally translated as "from heaven," evolved on the island nation more than 200 years ago as Japanese fishermen perfected their method on small, fast-moving, heavily bouldered streams.
- Explore Red Lodge, Montana - Beartooth All-American Road 75th Anniversary
If a man named J.C.F. "Doc" Siegfriedt had listened to what anybody was telling him in the 1920s--anybody at all--the Beartooth Highway, that unforgettable 68-mile stretch of winding, cliff-hugging, cloud-skimming road from Red Lodge, Mont. to the entrance of Yellowstone National Park, simply would not exist.
- Montana Economic Developers Association June Newsletter
While I don't wish cold weather and rain on you, perhaps Mother Nature has left you with a little more time this Memorial remembrance week to catch up on MEDA news.
Regional Economic Development
- MMEC Launches 2011 Next Generation Manufacturing Study
"We are encouraging all manufacturers and job shops in the state to participate as the study results will provide a wealth of valuable data for manufacturers, business leaders and state and national policymakers," said Steve Holland, MMEC Director.
- A Tow-tal success: Mining products put Montana on the global map
TowHaul does nothing small.
- ecoTECH Energy Group, Inc. Opens office in Butte - Hires Richard "Dick" King, former president of the Missoula Area Economic Development Corp., as president of the Montana division - Signs MOU to Purchase Thompson River Power Facility in Montana
The company's blueprints call for a biomass-fueled generating facility that could produce enough power to heat a 430,000-square-foot greenhouse and 108,000-square-foot pool that could be used to raise fish or other aquaculture.
- Homework Assignment: Why are people moving to your region?
Are you ready to get started?
- Why Johnny Can't Innovate: The American Economy's Most Surprising Deficit
To get our economy back on track, we need to stop dreaming that innovation is purely a self-financing private-sector game and start paying for the innovation we need. Either that, or we're not going to get the economy we want.
- Models of Angel Organizations
The Frontier Angel Fund (Kalispell, MT) is an excellent example of an angel Fund.
- Six Keys to Managing Your Reputation on the Web
Web reputation management, both business and personal, has become a top priority requirement.
- How to be interviewed
The explosion of media channels and public events means that more people are being interviewed about more topics than ever before. It might even happen to you... and soon.
- Standing still is career suicide
There are two incontrovertible facts about change in the global age: First, there's more of it. Second, it comes faster.
- Work "Flow" Increases Productivity
Flow isn't something you can force. You fall into it.
Funding and Building your Business
- Business growth cuts surprise officials
Economic gardening is a new approach and alternative to traditional economic business development. It uses high-end corporate level tools and cutting edge scientific concepts to help companies do such things as identify markets, monitor markets and track industry trends.
Incubators and R&D
- Don't Try to Pitch Your Business Without One of These
In a world where angel investors evaluate thousands of ideas a year and where consumers are bombarded with hundreds of thousands of competing marketing messages each month, you need a fast and effective way to communicate what your business does and why it matters.
- Entrepreneurs Build Big Dreams Without Big Money
Starting your business with a very low investment is called "bootstrapping," and these entrepreneurs usually have the most fun.
- The 12 Worst Train Wreck Meetings Between Startups And VCs You Will Ever Hear
There is NO WAY your upcoming pitch to potential investors is going to go as badly as the meetings this story is about.
- Funny or Die: Groupon's Fate Hinges on Words
The big Internet companies owe their dominance to something singular that shut out potential competitors.
- Determining Your Pre-Revenue / Pre-Money Valuation
Determining a valuation for a pre-revenue company is a difficult process.
- Venture capitalist gives entrepreneurs tips on the best pitch
He says that if they're not social, they should find a business partner who is. He won't invest in your company if he doesn't want to have a beer, or an iced tea, with you. And he compares meeting a startup to a first date.
- Ten Quotes Never Spoken By a Happy Entrepreneur
If you recognize yourself in many of these quotes, you WILL NOT be happy in that lifestyle:
- The ingredients for a successful startup
As with cooking in the kitchen, having the right ingredients doesn't guarantee success, and equally a good cook can make a great meal out of almost anything, but high quality raw materials undeniably make success more likely both in the kitchen and in the world of startups.
- Deal Forum Targets Young Companies Seeking Capital
Selected companies could be the next big success story, and with the help of the WBI and VentureCapital.org, a company's prospects of raising money are greatly enhanced.
- Huge Opportunities Do NOT Command Huge Pre-money Valuations
Scalability is a critical factor for angel investment.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- WTC and Sirti to merge into Innovate Washington
Innovate Washington combines the nationally recognized business-assistance programs of WTC and Sirti, and adds a new industry cluster-based strategy, with an initial focus on coordinating Washington's clean energy initiatives.
South Dakota Economic Development
- North Dakota Biopharmaceutical center helps firms develop ideas
In Fargo, he saw a chance to combine and channel it all into creating something that would make a difference in the critical early stages of a fledgling biopharmaceutical company's life.
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota a perfect fit for innovative firm - pharmaCline
"We have everything here; we have the makings of a great biotech industry here."
- Wyoming Business Council Survey of Manufacturing Companies
The Wyoming Business Council is conducting a short survey of manufacturing companies throughout Wyoming to determine what products and/or services are commonly purchased or procured outside of the state.
- Why Medical School Should Be Free
We need a better way of paying for medical training, to address the looming shortage of primary care doctors and to better match the costs of specialty training to the income it delivers.
- Business leaders pitch job-creating proposal
"We didn't want this to be state government's plan. This was developed by business leaders from across the state."
- Swatch's quandary: job openings with few people to fill them
Swatch's production and hiring problems reflect the overall health of a sector that has rebounded from the world financial crisis
Energy and Climate Change
- Creativity in the Cities
Even in this age of technology - where people can collaborate with people they barely know on the other side of the globe thanks to the internet - success depends, as Harvard economics professor Edward Glaeser points out in his book "The Triumph of the City", on communities of individuals being in close physical proximity.
- Could former INL expert have solar power's next big thing? 90% efficiency
A former Idaho National Laboratory researcher says he has found a way to capture 90 percent of the light that hits solar collectors instead of just 20 percent, which is what most solar power panels use today.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Apparently last week was "Drive Your Italian Car to Work Week"
Turn up the volume!
- Wolfram Alpha Turns 2: 'People Just Need What We Are Doing'
Wolfram Alpha may have a search box, but it's doubtful that it's the default search box for anyone, except perhaps Rainman.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page