|MATR Newsletter - Tue May 10, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"I think there is widespread agreement that there is a crisis in public education. If we're not creating an educated and skilled workforce, there is just no conceivable way that were going to be economically competitive." Mitch Kapor http://matr.net/articl ... .html and http://matr.net/articl ... .html
2011 Annual John Ruffatto Business Plan Competition, 5/12, Missoula, Montana http://matr.net/events ... =3525 --- City Club Missoula Presents: "Water: A Local, Regional And National Perspective.", 5/16, Missoula, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- More From New West Festival Featured Speakers http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Montana Ener-Tech Alliance Speaker Series, 5/31, Bozeman, Montana
NorthWestern Energy http://www.northwestern.com/ and TechRanch http://www.techranch.org/ are pleased to present an afternoon with private equity investors as the third event in the Montana Ener-Tech Alliance http://www.montanaener-tech.com/ speaker series.
City Club Missoula
- School Principals Crucial to Student Outcomes
"As is the case with teachers, principals need timely, actionable feedback about their performance to be able to make adjustments and improvements."
- Autistic Third Grader Blossoms in Classroom - Study suggests higher rate of autism in U.S.
Early intervention changes a boy's future.
- Knowledge @ Wharton High School
"The site offers articles, interviews, a video glossary of business terms, an interactive stock market game and other features, all designed to teach high school students more about business and finance. The free site, which is in Spanish as well as English, also includes a portal where teachers can share lesson plans, blogs and other resources relevant to their business curricula."
- How to Avoid 7 Kid Creativity Crushers
Sometimes, figuring out what not to do sheds light on the best practices to employ.
- SMASH - Two Silicon Valley Moms Pursue a 'Level Playing Field' in STEM Education
SMASH provides a blueprint that high schools and colleges across the nation can use to cultivate collaborative curricula that addresses the entrepreneurial and workforce needs of the 21st century Innovation Economy.
- NBC Education Nation - Generation-Next : Training girls to be tech-savvy
COMPUGIRLS provides fun summer and after-school classes where participants learn the latest technologies in digital media, games, and virtual worlds and become a voice for social justice and change in the world.
- Apps for Children with Special Needs
See Apps in action before you buy
MSU Leadership Institute
- City Club Missoula Presents: "Water: A Local, Regional And National Perspective.", 5/16, Missoula, Montana
Richard Opper - Director of the Montana Department of Environmental Quality, will discuss the Missoula aquifer which supplies drinking water to Missoula residents.
- Tools to Help the World - Harvard is opening its doors to veteran leaders--and possibly changing higher education forever
An interesting article about "third stage" in higher ed , and similar to our work with the MSU Leadership Fellows Program...as one of the ways we define leadership is the willingness and ability to help others.
Come Home Montana
- Business incubator can mean a faster start for your startup
Business incubators are collaborative programs designed to help new startups with some of the most vexing issues they face by providing work space, support services, networking opportunities and training.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Montana Career Opportunity - Web Design/SEO Tech - FreightMonster
- Montana Career Opportunity - Controller - Jore Corporation/Rocky Mountain Twist
This is a hands-on position with oversight of personnel whose responsibilities include A/P, A/R, payroll, journal entries and reconciliations.
- Montana Career Oppotunities - Various Positions - Northwestern Energy
NWE has an immediate opening for the following positions: Supervisor Ops Planning--Bozeman Groundman--Bozeman & Livingston & Helena Gas Groundman--Livingston Supervisor Gas Operations--Missoula
Montana Economic Development
- Quest Software Expands Presence in Desktop Virtualization Market by Acquiring Missoula, Montana based RemoteScan
Congratulations to an outstanding Missoula company!
- Missoula, Montana's GCS Research - Homegrown Technology Collaborative Efforts Put Alex Philp and his High-Tech Companies on the Map
"We're investing in the Montana work ethic. That's why we hire Montanans. I can't get enough of them."
- Montana-based Enell's Sports Bras to be featured again on Oprah
The bra eventually caught the attention of actress Drew Barrymore and by 2004 it was featured on "The Oprah Winfrey Show;" that national exposure resulted in two months worth of inventory selling out in just one day; back orders for the bra took 10 months to fill.
- Montana's local food movement gets trucking - Quality Food Distributing
Lindberg said his business is offering small producers more than a ride to town for their products.
Regional Economic Development
- RFQ - Downtown Technical Assistance Program Feasibility Studies For Great Falls, Montana
As an integral part of current downtown master planning process, this program will provide strategies to encourage the adaptive reuse, rehabilitation and preservation of historic buildings and sites in downtown Great Falls.
- Smurfit-Stone deal breathes new life into Frenchtown, Montana mill, community
"But I'll take it. I'm not a skeptic today. I'm a believer."
- Senator Baucus Applauds Unprecedented Private Business Involvement As APEC Kicks Off in Big Sky, Montana
Senator Worked to Include more than 100 Montana Businesses in Top-Level Trade Meetings he Brought to Montana
- Aneesh Chopra, Obama's Chief Techie, on Building a Startup-Friendly Region and Why Now is the Best Time to be an Innovator in America
Chopra says Startup America is targeting that crucial point in startup development by pushing more large companies to foster startup growth and work with early stage companies.
- More From New West Festival Featured Speakers
More on venture capital, rural entrepreneurship, digital branding, climate change and sustainable agriculture.
Funding and Building your Business
- Are Larger Opportunities More Risky Than Smaller Ones?
What number of angel investments is sufficient diversification?
Incubators and R&D
- Tips For Getting Started For The Non-Technical Web Entrepreneur
1. Pitch everyone your idea
- The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur
Being an entrepreneur means finding the challenges you have in your life, and determining creative ways to overcome those challenges.
- 14 Tips for Hiring the Perfect CTO
7. The Spare Time Test
- 6 Keys to Successful Bootstrapping
Networking as a Money Saver
- Demystifying the VC term sheet: Pay-to-play provisions
What are Pay-to-play provisions?
- Smart business models start with the right target market decision
Leaders are often deceived by the size of a target market, assuming that more is better.
Montana Education Excellence
- Collaboration: the mother of invention
Is it a certain density of universities, the volume of federal grants or venture capital, or a lifestyle that attracts creative people?
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- A Big Sky Classroom -The Montana Digital Academy Gives Students Across the State the Chance to Succeed
The free courses are delivered through the Internet, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, to registered students from all corners of the state--creating a virtual classroom of students from Missoula to Sidney, Havre to Billings, and everywhere in between.
- MSU Students Take Second Place at Regional Advertising Competition
A unique class comprised of twelve senior-level marketing and graphic design students recently placed second at the National Student Advertising Competition (NASC) in Boise, Idaho.
- 2010-2011 University of Montana School of Business Administration Dean's Report
The 2010 - 2011 SoBA Dean's Report showcases students, alumni and faculty who are realizing their dreams.
- ZooMontana will work with MSUB students on business plan
ZooMontana's Board of Directors agreed Thursday to work with Montana State University Billings business students on a strategic plan for the financially troubled zoo this summer.
Oregon Economic Development
- Why smartfailing will improve university and business innovation strategy
When an organization embraces smartfailing, it de-stigmatizes failure internally and uses failure as an opportunity to learn and to find a better course.
2011 Montana Legislature
- Register now (if you haven't already) for the Fourth-annual Greenlight Greater Portland Regional Economic Summit
It's a fourth-annual "don't miss." Come join more than 500 private- and public-sector colleagues from across greater Portland for a regionwide conversation and celebration of business.
- Governor Schweitzer Offers his Assessment of 2011 Montana Legislature
Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer opined about the state's 2011 Legislature last week in Whitefish, naming the overhaul of the state's workers' compensation law and revision of eminent domain laws as the biggest successes of the 62nd session.
- A session of frustration
At session's end, Democrats and Republicans seem to agree on three things: that it was a grueling four months, that they were able to do some good things, and that they will also be haunted by the ghosts of good bills that died.
- The Class That Built Apps, and Fortunes
Working in teams of three, the 75 students created apps that collectively had 16 million users in just 10 weeks. Many of those apps were sort of silly: Mr. De Lombaert's, for example, allowed users to send "hotness" points to Facebook friends. Yet during the term, the apps, free for users, generated roughly $1 million in advertising revenue.
- Students need more than business theory to ace university entrepreneurship program
All students regardless of their major may apply if they have an idea for a business.
- Is the state retirement boom finally here?
"The problem is that over the years, as budgets have been cut and cut and cut, the first thing that we start cutting out is middle management positions. There is no middle management anymore."
- Wisconsin legislators unveil venture capital program; bill will create early stage funds totaling $400 million
The complementary funds - the Jobs Now Fund and the Badger Jobs Fund - are designed, respectively, to address Wisconsin's short-term and long-term investment needs.
Energy and Climate Change
- How Happy is Your Community? The Happiness Project
Happiness is a journey - not a destination.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Study Links Flaming Water to Fracking
"Our results show evidence for methane contamination of shallow drinking water systems in at least three areas of the region and suggest important environmental risks accompanying shale gas exploration worldwide."
- Missoula Cultural Council is offering one hour of marketing consultation free to all MCC artist members.
The International Wildlife Media Center presents the 34th International Wildlife Film Festival continues through May 14.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page