|MATR Newsletter - Fri Jan 7, 2011|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
MATR Web services provided by:
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Speaking up for the voiceless in Montana - Disability Rights Montana" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html -- A great opportunity for your organization: "University of Montana Marketing Management Class (MKTG 461) Offering Marketing Plan Development to Montana Businesses and Nonprofit Organizations" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html -- "City Club Missoula- Ewam Garden Of 1000 Buddhas, 1/10, Missoula" http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html ---
21st Century Initiative - "You Should Care..."
Highway 12 Ventures
- Gov.-elect Rick Scott eyes 'game-changing' education overhaul
Florida's governor-elect wants to put the power of education in parents' hands. But some of his ideas may not be legal, or politically popular.
City Club Missoula
- Connecting The Dots
Tips you might consider when asking someone to make an email introduction for you.
- Highway 12 Ventures - Portfolio News - December 2010
December was a great finish to the 2010 year for our portfolio comapnies. Click on the links to read the complete stories.
- WOW!! - I've Seen The Future of 3D Special Effects and Animation
As an investor (if you're lucky), every once in a while you see something come out of one of the companies you've invested in that gives you a "holy shit" moment where you realize that the company has created something that will forever alter the landscape of the market they serve. Yesterday was one of those moments for me.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- City Club Missoula- Ewam Garden Of 1000 Buddhas, 1/10, Missoula
Dr. Milan will speak to City Club about Ewam Garden of 1000 Buddhas, and the future visit of His Holiness the Dalai Llama.
Come Home Montana
- Supreme Court Affirms 9th Circuit Ruling Refusing to Allow "First Sale Doctrine" as Defense to Copyright Infringement for Distribution of Foreign-Made Copies
As such, copyright owners of foreign-made copies are afforded significant protection in the 9th Circuit against the importation of "grey market" goods, allowing them greater control over the distribution and price of their products.
Come Home Oregon
- Governor Schweitzer and Delta Air Lines Unveil Sky Magazine Featuring Montana
"This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase Montana to the world," said Governor Brian Schweitzer. "We are thrilled to have partnered with Sky Magazine http://msp.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vds11/i1/p107 to bring the magic of Montana to their more than 5 million readers."
- Montana Career Opportunity - IT Leader - The Montana Supreme Court
This is an ideal position for a person with a proven track record as a successful manager and leader.
Come Home Wyoming
- Oregon Career Opportunity - Enterprise Facilitator - Wallowa County Business Facilitation
The successful applicant will provide one-on-one business coaching to new and expanding businesses in Wallowa County, located in rural northeast Oregon.
- Wyoming Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Sublette Economic Resource Council
Qualifications: Experience working for a non-profit organization and grant-writing experience.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Governor Schweitzer and Montana Ambassadors Announce Award Winners
Award winners will speak during the Montana Ambassador Annual Meeting and Conference to be held February 24th and 25th in Helena.
- 6 reasons why college is the best time to launch a start up
For young adults, the best place to flex your entrepreneurial muscle is while you are in college -- or at the very least when you are young enough to not be bogged down with a career.
Montana Economic Development
- Privately run schools in Montana-PBS broadcast
Who's watching the kids?
Regional Economic Development
- Billings, Montana is asking for your help in the Pepsi Refresh Everything Challenge
Right now we're 36th of literally hundreds and hundreds vying for these dollars and the entire community is rallying together. I'm hoping you'll take two minutes and vote for this.
- John Hart Appointed SBA Region VIII Advocate
"Small businesses in Region VIII will benefit from John's dedication and his experience in business affairs and business development. He will make a fine addition to the Advocacy team."
Funding and Building your Business
- Reflections on the Ideal Economic Gardening Audience
After reviewing all the evidence, I believe I have identified the "sweet spot"--the ideal target audience for most EG programs.
Incubators and R&D
- Be Your Own Boss! Tips for Starting a Small Business in 2011
Expert: Be Sure You Want to Be a Small Business Owner
- Entrepreneur Education: How to Fundraise Online Video Series
The goal of the training is to arm entrepreneurs with knowledge about the private equity fund-raising process and strategies to deploy when seeking capital.
- 10 Things that Keep Managers up at Night.....(and a "sleep aid" for each one)
Being a manager means you also have to deal with the tough issues that can cause you to lose sleep at night.
- A Peek Behind the Angel Curtain Reveals 3 Secrets to Attracting Money
With angel investing expected to pick up slightly in 2011, here is a "look behind the curtain" to see how one very successful angel investment group tracks and considers its investments.
- Surprise! Women started more firms than men.
"Women tend to be ... more conservative and careful in their financial-management practices," says Susan Coleman, professor of economics at Hartford University in Connecticut. That may be the right strategy for this era, says Dr. Cornwall. "Those businesses that right now are taking on less debt are going to be those that are much stronger coming out of the recession."
Montana Education Excellence
- Flying Machines, Amazing at Any Angle - The Montana Flight Laboratory
Dr. Dial says some of his most important observations have been made watching a bird glide by while he is fly fishing, and then heading back to the lab with a new theory to test.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- The University of Montana College of Technology Offers Free College Prep Classes For Veterans
Classes in math, writing and basic computer skills will take place Monday through Thursday evenings Feb. 7-March 30 at the COT campus, located at 909 South Ave. W. in Missoula.
- Why graduation matters to all Montanans
Last year, 2,010 students in grades 7-12 dropped out of school. This number is much too high. To confront this challenge, I have launched Graduation Matters Montana, an initiative aimed at increasing the graduation rate in our state. This statewide initiative is modeled after a successful program that started in Missoula.
Universities and Economic Development
- University of Montana Marketing Management Class (MKTG 461) Offering Marketing Plan Development to Montana Businesses and Nonprofit Organizations
If you know of a business or organization that needs to have a marketing plan developed this semester, please have them contact me as soon as possible.
- Friends of Arlee, Montana School helps fill in where education funds fall short
"I think Friends of Arlee makes sense in our community. It's a small community and everyone is about looking out for everyone."
- The Bernard Osher Foundation Grant Helps Reentry Students Complete Education At The University of Montana
"One of our top priorities is providing more people with the opportunity to attend UM, and this grant allows us to do just that," said UM President Royce Engstrom. "The challenging economy has forced many Montanans to look for new careers. The Osher Reentry Scholarships will help people gain the education they need to succeed in the work force of the future."
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- Study: MSU contributes more than 13,500 jobs and $1 billion to state's economy
One of the key findings of the report is the value a college degree has in boosting a person's lifetime earnings.
- Gov. Jack Dalrymple: North Dakota 'strong and growing stronger'
"We are setting our own course and reaping the rewards of our hard work, our careful fiscal management, our pro-business climate and our diversified economy."
Utah Economic Development
- Utah's Budget Process Outshines Other States
"A moment of reckoning has arrived, after all,"
2011 Montana Legislature
- Utah business leaders vow to create 150,000 jobs
Utah business leaders Thursday announced a 10-point, private-sector plan to create 150,000 new jobs over the next five years.
- Business, nonprofit employers to tell lawmakers how to get Montanans back to work
Nearly 100 employers from across the state will be telling legislators at four hearings Saturday what changes they think are needed to get Montanans back to work.
- New law labels interns 'highly qualified teachers'
Under that law, all students are supposed to be taught by "highly qualified" teachers who have earned state teaching credentials, but a 2004 Bush administration policy allowed states to give that status to interns working toward certification.
- Wyoming teacher tenure debate heats up
"Our concern is whether or not it does offer a hearing, it makes it pretty clear the district doesn't have to give reason for dismissal," said Kathryn Valido, president of the association. "Once we get those clarifications, we're willing to sit down with Sen. [Hank Coe, R-Cody] and discuss it."
- The John Hickenlooper Exception
To appreciate what a peculiar political script Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hickenlooper has written for himself, you could start in any number of places, with any number of situations.
- Report says Nevada's economic and budget crises will last 10 years
The report, titled "Structurally Unbalanced," examines budget problems in Nevada, California, Arizona and Colorado.
- Web businesses say they'll flee state if sales tax is OK'd
Legislature approves bill that would require online retailers to collect 6.25% surcharge
Connectivity & Communications
- SEVEN New Grant announcements
- FOUR New Grant announcements
- Our degraded public discourse reflects poorly on all of us
When our community's image is negative, every business, profession and service depending on outsiders for its workforce or clientele is harmed.
Energy and Climate Change
- Coming soon: Net-connected ovens, washing machines and more
Pretty soon, it may be all but impossible to get away from the Internet.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- The Solar Panels Are Free, as Long as You Pay for the Sunshine - SunEdison
How to get photovoltaics on your company's roof without putting them on the books.
- Climate change is not not real
One writer dispels the top 10 arguments of climate change deniers
- Transparent Cement Lets in Light
Transparent cement made its debut at the Italian Pavilion during the World Expo last year in Shanghai, and its qualities are pretty remarkable.
- Public Agencies Use Business Analytics to Improve Performance and Boost Transparency
Great things can happen when governments use data to make educated decisions and inform taxpayers in the process.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Speaking up for the voiceless in Montana - Disability Rights Montana
Disability Rights Montana protects and advocates for the human, legal, and civil rights of Montanans with disabilities while advancing dignity, equality, and self-determination. http://www.disabilityrightsmt.org/janda/donate.php?PageID=9
- Humanities MONTANA January e-Newsletter
Humanities Montana is seeking "Humanities Spotters," individuals from around the state of Montana who can report in about humanities topics and events in each of their regions.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page