|MATR Newsletter - Fri Jun 8, 2018|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
When I die, I'd like to be buried in Butte, Montana so I can stay active in politics.
Missoula Fly-In Looking for volunteers on June 15-16th - http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Tell Us Something - "Risk" - 6/13 - Missoula, Montana - http://www.matr.net/ev ... =6965
2018 Montana Politics
Gov. Steve Bullock
- Voters say "no" to Creston, Montana bottling plant
Expanding the district means the bottling plant will not be able to operate on the land it is slated for.
- Governor Bullock continues Montana's fight against dark money by announcing leading-edge executive order
"Montana will again stand up for openness and fairness in politics. Because Montanans deserve a government that works for them, and only them." Gov. Steve Bullock
- NorthWestern Energy buys Montana's Two Dot Wind Farm
lean Energy Ventures (CEV), the clean energy subsidiary of New Jersey Resources, says it has completed the sale of its 9.7-MW wind farm in Two Dot, Montana to NorthWestern Energy for $18.5 million.
The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- What exactly is Salesforce? We asked San Franciscans if they knew.
When it comes to Salesforce, you might already know some things about it.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- 'Gig economy' increasingly concentrated among older workers
The share of Americans who may be classified as part of the "gig economy" has shrunk since 2005, according to a government report that also showed such jobs are increasingly concentrated among older workers in an aging labor force.
American Prairie Reserve
- How Smaller Colleges Are Disrupting Higher Education
"Higher education is in the midst of a paradigm shift focused on the imperative of change."
- More Room to Roam on the American Prairie
No matter how you slice it, the public benefits of bison restoration are compelling. Learn more with our Top 5 list below. Then consider helping us make the case to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) by submitting a public comment before June 11th.
VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- America's Underground Sin City - Havre, Montana
These days, it's safe to say Havre Underground has found a fresh stride within the community, and its commercial success is kind of the best life-ring the area could have.
- Missoula's hidden history revealed in new summertime tours
Starting Thursday, a new series of guided walking tours will give Missoula residents and visitors a peek into that secret (and until now inaccessible) history of the Garden City.
Arrow Solutions Group
- (Great Videos) - Inside Boston Dynamics, the secretive lab where unnerving, high-tech robots come to life
For nine years, the secretive firm -- which got its start with U.S. military funding -- has unnerved people around the world with YouTube videos of experimental robots resembling animal predators.
Energy and Climate Change
- Arrow Solutions Group announces a new office in Denver - Career Opportunities Available
Our expertise in many verticals allows Arrow Solutions Group to offer customized information technology recruiting and staffing solutions.
Come Home Montana
- Approaching 'carbon bubble" could wipe trillions from global economy
This bodes ill for countries who rely on carbon exports to prop up major parts of their economies - including Canada, Russian and the United States.
- Podcast - Why Sustainable Cities Are Closer Than We Think
Why is this change happening in big cities more than in rural areas?
Hellgate Venture Network
- Request for Proposal - Missoula Downtown Master Plan Update 2018
The Master Plan U pdate will serve to help guide decisions over the next 25 years impacting Missoula's historic downtown and adjoining neighborhoods, including modifications to land use and planning regulations, public and private investment decisions, and prioritization for allocation of municipal and community resources
- 3 Great Career Opportunities and 1 Great Consulting Opportunity with Great Falls Development Authority
Join Our Team!
- Montana Career Opportunities - Digital Marketing Manager, Tour Leaders - Adventure Cycling Association
Established in 1973 as Bikecentennial, we are the premier bicycle-travel organization in North America with more than 40 years of experience and 53,000 members.
- Hellgate Venture Network Presents: Scott Billadeau Of Liquid Planet - 6/21 - Missoula
Join us for great conversation, networking and ice cold beverages!
Montana Economic Development
- Univision Computers - Your Best Friend in Technology
Welcome to Univision Computers, a full-service technology company. Univision has been providing Montana clients with technology solutions to make them more productive since 1989.
- Algae AquaCulture Technologies in Columbia Falls, Montana - 'The Need to Grow' Documentary features groundbreaking work of local company
"Dirt is lifeless. Soil is life," says Herring, director of the award-winning 2017 documentary "The Need to Grow," which is narrated by acclaimed actress Rosario Dawson and draws a deep connection to groundbreaking work occurring right here in the Flathead Valley.
- New businesses to be put in once Capital Hill Mall is torn down in Helena, Montana
"This property is right in the heart of Helena,"
- 'Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think'
Factfulness: The stress-reducing habit of only carrying opinions for which you have strong supporting facts.
- Brain Gain: Professionals Find Niche in Rural Upper Midwest
Once upon a time, the story goes, rural America thrived, a land of golden fields dotted with wholesome communities of God-fearing farmers. Then the kids -- especially the bright ones -- left for the city.
Incubators and R&D
- President Signs Tester's 15th Bill into Law
Montana Veterans Praise Senator's Bipartisan Law to Scrap Choice Program, Streamline Community Care, Improve VA Health Care
- City government 101 program in the works in Great Falls, Montana
In an effort to better educate the public on city operations, city staff are developing a Great Falls Government 101 program.
- 2018 USDA Summer Food Service Programs in Montana - Free to all kids 18 and under
All kids have to do is show up!
- Yellowstone superintendent says the Trump administration is forcing him out
Critics say many of the reassignments of Senior Executive Service employees appear to be motivated by politics, sweeping aside those who disagree with the administration on issues such as climate change, wildlife management and wilderness preservation.
- "Mind-boggling" Stanford research turns human blood cells into functional neurons
"It's kind of shocking how simple it is to convert T cells into functional neurons in just a few days,"
- How Israel Became a World Leader in Biotechnology
What lies at the heart of this success story?
- Why Nebraska has an amazing jobs market but nobody is moving there
So what's holding Nebraska back from adopting what seems like a no-brainer short-term solution?
- Bringing Finland to America: Lessons from the happiest place on Earth
You don't have move to the Land of the Thousand Lakes (aka Finland) to boost your spirits. Here's a look at how to take Finland's happiness tricks and replicate them at home.
Regional Economic Development
- How This Vegetable-Growing Startup Became 400 Times More Productive Than Traditional Farms
"There's an element of: Let's hire brilliant people, and then we'll find a place for them."
- Oregon to lead national suit against CenturyLink
Oregon will lead a national class-action lawsuit against internet and TV provider CenturyLink, over allegations including fraudulent accounts and billing.
- US population disperses to suburbs, exurbs, rural areas, and "middle of the country" metros
If these shifts continue, they could call into question the sharp clustering of the nation's population--in large metropolitan areas and their cities--that characterized the first half of the 2010s.
- Branding, barbed wire and blockchain in Wyoming
"Branding and barbed wire are the original provenance tracking system for agriculture," said Rob Jennings, an advisor to the Wyoming Blockchain Coalition. "This is high-tech meets heritage."
Montana Education Excellence
- The Best Freshman Year Is a Gap Year
The gap year has become increasingly popular with admissions leaders, who have witnessed firsthand its positive impact on students and campus culture.
- 50-State Comparison: State Kindergarten-Through-Third-Grade Policies
View a specific state's approach by going to the individual state profiles page.
- Top Colleges Are Cheaper Than You Think (Unless You're Rich)
More than 30 top colleges now participate in a simple online calculator that provides cost estimates to families.
- In the future, college never really ends
The Ann Arbor school launched a scholarship program that pays for graduates to take classes there forever, and the number of students is slowly growing.
- 6 Forces Disrupting Higher Education
At a minimum, schools need to be figuring out how to navigate these choppy waters ahead.
- Bill Gates Is Giving Every 2018 College Grad a Free Copy of His Favorite Book. Here's How to Get It
The optimistic book, which Amazon lists for online download at $14.99, rejects doom-and-gloom descriptions of the status quo.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- More students deciding to stay in Montana for college
There are many factors as to why more Montana residents are staying in state, but many consider a specific one.
- View the Missoula Children's Poetry Map
"There is an elegance in the simplicity of what we do: with little more than a pencil and paper, and some time for observation and consideration, poets can reshape the world." Leland Buck, Chairman of the Board of the Missoula Writing Collaborative
Funding and Building your Business
- Tell Us Something - "Risk" - 6/13 - Missoula, Montana
Eight storytellers share their true personal story without notes on the theme "Risk".
- Missoula Fly-In Looking for volunteers on June 15-16th
"Missoula volunteers have the best seat in the house at the Fly-In," said the AOPA's Chris Eads. "But volunteering isn't all about hard work - it's also about meeting other volunteers, seeing the fly-in from the "insider's" perspective, and making new friends."
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Design your next meeting backwards--here's how
How many times have you gone to a meeting where there was barely a coherent agenda, or none at all?
- This CEO Says data and A.I. are at the center of the modern business
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich thinks that data is playing the same key part in the world's economy that oil historically did.
- BZN International Film Festival spotlights films on Montana, women and environment
There will be star power, with actor Jeff Bridges and director Jamie Redford presenting films.
- Self-driving cars can deliver huge safety gains if we resist the urge to overregulate them
A big issue is going to be how federal transportation regulators and Florida's officials approach public safety without strangling the evolution and development of self-driving cars.
- Missoula welcomes new American Airlines service to DFW, United to LA
There's still a chance to help us make air travel more affordable for everyone! To add your company's name to the list of Take Flight Missoula community partners and investors, please contact the Missoula Economic Partnership http://www.missoulapartnership.com/ today.
- Robert Scoble - My thesis of Tesla's future and why I became a shareholder.
I'm the owner of a Model 3 and am constantly amazed at this car. The naysayers are so wrong.
- Missoula County: Mullan-area transportation project would ease congestion, guide development
The county dusted off its plans last year and applied for a $19 million TIGER grant to complete the grid network between Mullan Road and West Broadway, a move that would open 400 acres of land for needed housing and light industrial development.
- Japan Targeting 2020 Olympics for a Driverless Car System
Japan prioritizes technological advancement to grow its economy.
- Vision Net Adding 70 Miles of Broadband Fiber to Billings and Helena
Growing demand for accessible, affordable and reliable broadband spurs investment while fueling economic development
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page