|MATR Newsletter - Fri May 18, 2018|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Under Anne Bailey's leadership, the Montana Journalism Media Lab will help train scientists, entrepreneurs and businesspeople how to tell their stories in the most effective way." - UM School of Journalism Launches Media Lab, Hires Anne Bailey as Founding Director - http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Regional Showcase For New Statewide Technology Business Competition Set For May 22 At Montana State University - http://www.matr.net/ev ... =6853
Gov. Steve Bullock
Montana Business and Govt. Agency Collaboration Success
- Gov. Steve Bullock - Jobs in Eastern Montana
I am committed to the workers and community of Colstrip, and continuing the record job creation within Montana's strong economy. Done right, we can continue to drive economic growth in our communities while creating and maintaining good-paying jobs.
Montana Businesses For Sale
- USDA to offer funding for rural, low-income families and many other grant programs
Financing is available via the USDA's Direct Home Loan Program to applicants that fit the above qualification that are unable to qualify for traditional financing.
Montana's Outdoor Recreation Economy
- Missoula's Unique Buttercup Market and Cafe is For Sale - What's up buttercup?
This business is currently FOR SALE and offers the best of the past and is set it up to succeed in the future. Check out this Windermere RE listing by Jaime Hand for more information contact 406-370-1850 or check out http://montanarealestate.withwre.com/2017/07/14/whats-up-buttercup/ Windermere Missoula Listing: http://www.windermeremissoula.com/property/21707518/1221-helen-missoula
- Glacier Park: Sperry Chalet will be rebuilt within its historic stone walls
Gutted last Aug. 31 in an ember storm from the Sprague fire, the backcountry chalet will be restored within its original 107-year-old stone masonry walls but updated with seismic bracing and fire-resistant materials.
Montana West Economic Development
- Montana Made: TicketPrinting in Harlowton
TicketPrinting.Com http://www.TicketPrinting.Comwas started in 2001 and has developed into one of the largest online ticket destinations in the country.
Great Falls Development Authority
- A newsletter from Montana West Economic Development
Want the opportunity to connect to high-speed internet affordably, easily and securely all across the Flathead Valley? Do you believe the Flathead Valley could benefit from more economical, higher-capacity broadband services? Then this community discussion is for you!
The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- 1st Quarter 2018 Index Great Falls Development Authority
Number of "done" deals in Great Falls region that haven't been announced yet: 12+
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Healthcare, freelanced: Where will gig economy workers get coverage?
There are plenty of problems lurking on America's career ladder, but here is a big one: our healthcare systems are designed for the workforce of 1950.
- EPP 164: How To Earn Much More As An Affiliate Marketer With Jesse Lakes
In this week's episode of the Extra Paycheck Podcast I am joined by an entrepreneur, CEO and co-founder of Genius Link and University of Montana alum, Jesse Lakes.
- Apple pushes to teach coding to students who are deaf and blind
Cook tweeted, "Because when we say Everyone Can Code, we mean everyone."
Energy and Climate Change
- What to do and see this summer - Rediscover Montana
Rediscover Montana gives you a look at what there is to do and see in our great state this summer.
Come Home Montana
- Are you interested in participating in a stakeholder group to discuss opportunities to expand residential and small-commercial clean energy financing in Montana?
Our intent is to facilitate a forum that improves communication among entities working to develop clean energy financing, supports collaboration and innovation, and help to identify and resolve barriers to providing clean energy financing for Montana consumers.
- Missoula's Montana Natural History Center - One planet: Digital globe illustrates Earth's systems in revolutionary way
"And I just love the story. For the huge amount of use this gets -- a lot of it in socioeconomics, because this tells a lot about population concentration and energy consumption, travel corridors -- and yet he just stumbled across it while looking around for the fun of it." Dr. Steve Running
- Dandelion Energy - Inside Kathy Hannun's quest to provide accessible household geothermal
Dandelion Energy's solution is two-pronged: a zero-money down financing option that allows customers to switch from fuel oil or propane and advanced drilling as well as software technology that makes the home geothermal installation simple and time-effective.
- Is California's Solar Rooftop Mandate the Gateway for Electrifying Everything?
This week on the Energy Gang: The pathway to electrifying homes, and why the current home efficiency paradigm sucks.
- Massachusetts Rejects Smart Meter Rollouts, as Competitive Energy Undermines the Business Case
Massachusetts regulators see a future in which customers are leaving investor-owned utilities for municipal aggregators and competitive third-party suppliers, and they aren't sure how to fit mass-market smart meter deployments into that future.
- Montana Career Opportunities -Real Estate Loan Processor, Financial Service Representative - Missoula Federal Credit Union
If you're looking for more than just a career, and believe you have the skills to provide our members with exceptional service, we'd like to get to know you better.
- Prairie Populist writer falls in love with Havre: One visit, three articles
"I think that Havre is the Montana town we all picture in our minds."
Montana Economic Development
- ClassPass' Founder on How Marketplace Startups Can Achieve Product/Market Fit
ClassPass, then Classtivity, started not as the membership service it is today, but as a way to simply search for classes.
- Missoula's Rugged Content makes every word count. No filler.
If you're a business owner looking to work with a straightforward copywriter then Rugged Content is your one-stop shop for all things digital copywriting and content creation.
- ClassPass - Fitness Startups, With The Help Of Investors, Go For Gains
It's no surprise that "the global fitness and health club industry generates more than 80 billion U.S. dollars in revenue per year," according to market and consumer data analytics company,
- ClassPass Announces Corporate Membership Program with the Most Comprehensive Fitness Offering for Employees
"Partnering with ClassPass to offer a corporate membership is a win-win for employers," said Fritz Lanman, ClassPass CEO.
- Upward Public Relations -- a PR and communications consulting business located in Missoula, Montana, creating strategies that elevate clients' marketing, media relations and content development.
As a public relations consultant and freelance writer, I work with clients to develop communications that educate, inspire and affect change.
- Upstart group looks to pin Missoula's economic identity to sustainability
"Marketing was so big, but now it's just noise because everyone is out there marketing their idea. Everyone's got a great product, but what are you doing beyond that product? That's what everyone wants to know."
- May is for Growing Business at Lake County Community Development Corporation
Taste of Amazing is a company out of Washington using our Mission Mountain Food Enterprise Center to produce prepared meals. Taste of Amazing makes its meals for Rosauers supermarkets in Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon.
Come Home Idaho
- Feeling Burned Out? Here Are 3 Things That Can Help
Talk to someone
- A College Degree May be Losing Its Luster with Companies Hiring Requirements
Some labor experts say it's time to toss degree requirements except in situations where they're necessary.
- Why introverts might actually be better networkers
To understand why, we first have to debunk a common misconception about introverts: They don't hate people.
- 5 ways you can use visualization to achieve top performance
The night before the test, I walked myself through the exercise many times. How could I use visualization to achieve top performance in my situation? Here were my steps:
- 8 Ways To Test The Depth Of A Startup Before Joining
From my perspective as an investor, I recommend that every founder needs to know the answers to these questions, be open and honest in answering them thoughtfully, and without making excuses:
- MIT Professor: To Be Happier and More Productive, Spend 30 Minutes Each Day 'Wasting Time'
The ultimate antidote to today's frenzied, technology-addicted world.
- Idaho board extends search for Boise State University president
People have been critical of AGB Search, the company hired by the Idaho Board of Education to run the search, saying that the pool of presidential candidates for BSU was not strong or deep enough to begin with.
- Covering rural America: What reporters get wrong and how to get it right
What Reporters Get Wrong: They oversimplify and mischaracterize the political, social, and cultural nature of rural areas.
- People who live in small towns and rural areas are happier than everyone else, researchers say
Their chief finding is a striking association between population density -- the concentration of people in a given area -- and happiness.
- The U.S. spends less on children than almost any other developed nation
"The U.S. isn't frugal or miserly with every group, but we've allowed millions of children to remain in poverty,"
- Senator Jon Tester Votes to Protect Free and Open Internet in Montana
"Without this legislation big corporations can block Montanans from accessing the world's greatest source of information. When Washington bureaucrats repealed net neutrality, they threatened Montana's students, small business owners, and farmers. This bill will restore a free and open internet, putting businesses, classrooms, and health care just a click away."
- Gov. Steve Bullock - Protecting Net Neutrality - Please Contact Montana Representative Greg Gianforte
Please contact Montana Representative Greg Gianforte https://gianforte.house.gov/ and encourage him to vote to protect a free and open internet by reversing the FCC's repeal of net neutrality.
- San Francisco's Bold Plan to Treat Homeless Drug Addicts
San Francisco's mayor wants to create a special medical team -- the first of its kind in the nation -- to spread out onto the city's streets and give homeless people a drug that one expert calls "blindingly effective" at abruptly stopping heroin cravings.
- Oklahoma is getting the hang of the startup economy
The challenge is that it takes a predictable continuum of investment capital to build a robust pipeline of startups, and it takes a robust pipeline of startups to attract capital.
- Helping U.S. manufacturers: What works?
The "three habits of highly successful manufacturing-intensive communities"
- Shared Housing Startups Are Taking Off
A Crunchbase News analysis of residential-focused real estate startups uncovered a raft of companies with a shared and temporary housing focus that have raised funding in the past year or so.
Montana Education Excellence
- College May Not Be Worth It Anymore
Does higher education itself offer that benefit, or are the people who earn bachelor's degrees already positioned to get higher-paying jobs?
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Montana State University offers programs to support rural educators, school districts
In recognition of the teaching and administrative challenges unique to small, spread-out school districts, MSU has implemented a variety of programs to support rural communities.
- UM Professor Earns $4.5M NIH Grant to Research Dyslexia
The NIH R01 grant will fund Wolter's reading and language research in young elementary schoolchildren.
- Flathead Tech4Good Initiative Offers No Cost Tech Camp For Native Students - 6/11-15 - Pablo
"We are investing in our most precious asset: the youth of our community. And we are very grateful to the role models who will share their experiences and insights. Through technology these pioneers have found a future where they can honor their heritage and create a future that is bright and adapts to our changing world."
Universities and Economic Development
- UM School of Journalism Launches Media Lab, Hires Anne Bailey as Founding Director
"Under Anne Bailey's leadership, the Montana Journalism Media Lab will help train scientists, entrepreneurs and businesspeople how to tell their stories in the most effective way."
- The Office of Technology Commercialization promotes and translates innovations at UAH
"I think we provide a service that is becoming more important to research-intensive academic institutions such as UAH."
Funding and Building your Business
- Speak Your Piece: Building Community through Unlikely Connections
In a region with plenty of second homes, an urbanite finds that local friendships can be first class.
- At the Human Library, you check out a 'book' and 'read' a fellow human in a totally new way
It is a deliberately different kind of conversation, said Dani Elizabeth, the Meridian library services assistant overseeing the project.
- When and How to Plan an Exit Strategy for Your Business
This is a common question for many entrepreneurs, so we asked experts to share their input and advice for doing so.
- 27 Tech Entrepreneurs and How They Grow Their Companies
Pick one and put it to work on your idea.
- 'Fail fast, fail often' isn't just tech startup jargon -- it can make a huge difference for entrepreneurs in any field
Akuete used classic business jargon to explain the mistake she made: She didn't fail fast or often enough.
- To Achieve Long-Term Success, Don't Get Distracted
It's important to focus on what's important for your business, rather than what 'feels good.'
- LinkedIn's Jeff Weiner: How Compassion Builds Better Companies
The advice I would give my 22-year old self is to be compassionate.
- Corporate America could close the skills gap with child care - Following national trend, Zoot opens on-site daycare in Bozeman headquarters
"The nonprofit arm of the world's largest business federation is sounding a stern warning: The skills gap feeding an unprecedented labor shortage will only worsen if companies don't directly provide child care solutions.
- People Over 40 Should Only Work 3 Days a Week, Experts Say
Working hours play a huge role in maintaining the cognitive functions, especially in elderly adults. Moreover, working more than 30 hours every week can have a negative impact on the brain health of middle-aged men.
- How This Tiny Startup Competes With the Googles and Facebooks of the World for the Best Intern Talent
Gone are the days where young recruits would spend the bulk of their time running out for coffee.
- Welcome To The Missoula Mastermind - Every Thursday Morning - Missoula
Here in Missoula Montana like-minded entrepreneurs come together to hash out ideas and dissolve problems. This is an open group welcome to all local entrepreneurs.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- A New 'City Health Dashboard' for 500 U.S. Cities
The new City Health Dashboard might be the first time many communities have had access to a treasure trove of public health data at the click of a mouse button.
- Scientists develop the smallest, cheapest electronic nose for search and rescue
The nose is an array of sensors to detect various substances which, when found together, would provide the crucial "chemical fingerprint" showing the presence of human life.
- Apple has permits to test self-driving cars in nearly every California county
Could the iCar be hitting the road soon?
- EV street charger pops up when needed, sinks down when not
Ubitricity has been installing charging points in streetlamps for a few years now, and now London, UK, startup Urban Electric is about to trial a pop-up charge point in Oxford.
- Little Vermont Uses Big Data to Predict Bridge Repairs and Traffic Jams
The state is exploring how AI and neural networks can help them forecast when vital infrastructure repairs are needed, years in advance.
- Questionaire: Transportation challenges for Montana manufacturers
We hope you will share your information with WTI and MMEC, as they work to identify the transportation issues faced by manufacturers in small urban (populations between 50K and 200K), rural (under 50K), and tribal communities.
- It Takes a Single Autonomous Car to Prevent Phantom Traffic Jams
New research from the University of Michigan shows that the presence of a single automated and connected car can make driving better for everyone.
- Capital City 4th Of July Celebration, 7/4, Helena, Montana
- Empowering The Next Generations To Advance And Grow The Economy -
- Google's Chief Education Evangelist At The Idaho Virtual Reality Council - 5/23 - Boise, Idaho
- Dine to Donate for Fork & Spoon Homestyle Kitchen!, 06/03, Bozeman
- Classic Film The Horse Whisperer Celebrates 20th Anniversary In Bozeman - 5/20
- Presentation To Outline Ways Butte Can Continue To Grow While Staying True To Its Roots - 5/23
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page