|MATR Newsletter - Tue May 1, 2018|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Modern careers are like nonstop conveyor belts — you have to keep moving and learning no matter what stage you’re at.
Looking for a great new career opportunity in Montana? http://www.matr.net/ne ... ntana
Main Street Montana Project
Montana Department of Commerce
- Great Falls, Montana is quarterfinalist in Main Street contest for $25,000
"I am thrilled to nominate Downtown Great Falls for this national recognition. We continue to work on our downtown beautification efforts and Downtown Great Falls is very deserving of bringing this national recognition home."
Montana Economic Developers Association
- Montana Cooperative Impact Week - 5/1-5 - Hamilton, Montana
The public is welcome to attend the scheduled events to learn more about the history of local cooperatives and their future role in rural Montana.
- 2018-2019 CDBG Planning Grant Cycle Update
The CDBG Application and Guidelines for Planning Grants for the 2018-2019 application cycle are available on the Department of Commerce website by following the link.
- Montana Big Sky Trust Fund Updates
Each quarter, at least $600,000 will be available in competitive BSTF job creation grants.
- Montana's first guide to agritourism
Montana's first guide to agritourism http://aeromt.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Agritourism-Manual.pdf was unveiled at the Governor's Conference on Tourism and Recreation.
- Montana Agritourism Survey on businesses and marketing.
We will compile this business information, along with other existing business information, into one database that can be easily accessible for both tourism partners and visitors to Montana.
- Small Business Week: Celebrating Small Business Success in Montana April 29 - May 5, 2018
In 2017, the SBDC network helped successfully launch 78 new businesses and created or retained 841 jobs.
Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
- Montana Economic Developers Association Spring Conference 2018 in Dillon, Montana was an outstanding success.
This summary contains photos, weblinks and presentation files for your use and enjoyment.
- Rockin' it rural: Montana's Economic development advocates talk shop at Dillon conference
"Economic development isn't always only about jobs. It's a quality of life; it's employment; it's tourism. It's everything that you can bring to your community," Katie Barba, development coordinator for the Beaverhead Development Corporation
- MEDA May 2018 Online News
A NEW WAY TO KEEP IN TOUCH! Montana Department of Commerce now has a LinkedIn page. Visit this page to learn of relevant news stories and job posting s. Check it out and keep in touch!
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- 2017 Montana Economic Development Report
Under Governor Bullock, Montana's Middle-Class Growth Fastest in the Country
Great Falls Development Authority
- New Patent Office Guidance Released on Subject Matter Eligibility - Dorsey & Whitney
As the law regarding patent eligibility for certain subject matter continues to evolve, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) recently clarified its examination procedure relating to subject matter.
Early Edge Montana
- Great Falls Economic Development Top 10 for 4-30-18
Governor Bullock designated our top priority census tract to become an Opportunity Zone. Tract 108, which encompasses the heart of downtown Great Falls, will be eligible to attract investors with a strong capital gains tax incentive.
- Great Falls Development Authority Is Hosting "What's Up With Great Falls Economic Development" Session - 5/29
The May session of "What's Up with Great Falls Economic Development" has been rescheduled from May 30 to May 29 at 6 p.m. in room 139 at Great Falls College MSU.
The Telecommuting and Gig Workforce in Montana
- Lockwood, Montana, long a preschool proponent, beefs up its program with a state grant
Lockwood is one of a handful of school districts in Montana that have put money from their K-12 budget into preschool.
- Gazette opinion: Closing Montana's preschool gap
It's too early to assign a final grade to the STARS program, but research confirms the lifelong benefits of ensuring that youngsters start kindergarten ready to learn.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- 6 Ways Telecommuting Has Permanently Changed Work Life
Are you a telecommuter in Montana? Please share your thoughts, pet peeves, success and "best of" with us.
- Gig workers could gain employee status with California Supreme Court ruling
California's wage laws must be interpreted to protect both workers and competition among ethical businesses.
- The Pros and Cons of Telecommuting to a Government Gig
The option is catching on among public-sector employers as a way to attract and retain employees.
- The University Innovation Alliance - When Universities Collaborate - Students Win
The University Innovation Alliance is the leading national coalition of public research universities committed to increasing the number and diversity of college graduates in the United States.
- Why Bill and Melinda Gates put 20,000 students through college
Now universities around the country are forming a new, color-blind, Affirmative Action, aiming to close the gap between rich and poor
- Video - Welcome to Montana - "The Dragon's Heartbeat"
From deep canyons graced by roaring falls, to the highest peaks on eagle's wings, to the fields and valleys, rivers and beyond -- this is our home : MONTANA.
Arrow Solutions Group
- Welcome to the Izaak Walton Inn & Resort Bordering Glacier National Park
"Just wonderful to stay in the cabooses nestled in the woods above the tracks. Trains not loud enough to wake you but easily heard when you want to see them roll by. Great views, food and hospitality." Russ Fletcher
- You can apply for a Get Out There" grant from Montana-based "Kampgrounds of America"
It's for families who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford a family trip exploring.
Energy and Climate Change
- Career Opportunities - Montana, Wyoming, Colorado - Arrow Solutions Group
Arrow Solutions Group is a full-service staff augmentation firm working with IT teams in the telco, healthcare, and banking industries across the United States.
Back Country Horsemen of Montana
- How Oman's Rocks Could Help Save the Planet
They remove planet-warming carbon dioxide from the air and turn it to stone. In theory, these rocks could store hundreds of years of human emissions of CO2.
- Solar panels on farmland stir fight in Central Washington
Not a popular move. Neighbors and other county residents don't want the green of summer fields transformed into a black expanse of photovoltaic panels.
- The Case for Climate Reparations. Who should pay the costs for climate-change-related disasters?
Something is wrong.
- Stable and scalable photo-electrode "strongest candidate yet" for renewable hydrogen generation
It could also provide an essentially limitless source of energy.
Come Home Montana
- A California Developer Said 'Name Your Price.' Here's What This Montana Outfitter Told Him.
"This is the setting I want," the developer said. "Well, you're not getting it," Mick told him, and shooed him off the porch.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Legal Specialist, Learning & Development Specialist - Great Harvest Bread
We are the Great Harvest Bread Company and we are "Bread Heaven."
- Focusing on Philipsburg: Documentary to depict revitalization of historic mining community, 1980s photojournalism project
This year Philipsburg is celebrating its 150-year anniversary. And to honor the sesquicentennial, Jim Jenner, Philipsburg resident and former president of the town's Rotary Club, is creating a documentary called "Saving the Burg" that chronicles the town's Cinderella story.
- Montana Career Opportunity - SBDC Regional Director / Coordinator of Workforce Development & Community Outreach for Helena College
The incumbent will lead and manage the hosted SBDC C enter and coordinate the College's Workforce Development & Community Outreach programs, and may supervise SBDC Business Advisors, student workers and /or other full - time or part - time employees
- Montana Career Opportunities - System Administrator, Dev Ops Engineer III, Senior Linux Systems Administrator - Wisetail
Our software encourages users to interact with your content, take a deep dive into eLearning, and find familiarity and comfort with your company's brand.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Marketing CRM Administrator - ALPS
The primary responsibility of this CRM Administrator role is to oversee and implement a list acquisition strategy to automate our mass-marketing efforts.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Merchandise Planning Analyst - Murdoch's
Murdoch's offers plenty of opportunities for fun, because 'fun' is an essential part of who we are.
- Montana Career Opportunities - QA Engineer, Front End Engineering, Software Engineer in Test - Dataminr
Dataminr's clients are the first to know about high-impact events and critical breaking information, enabling them to act faster and stay one step ahead.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Accounting Manager, Construction & Visitor Operations Manager, Postdoctoral Fellowship in partnership with Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, Public Relations & Outreach Manager and more - American Prairie Reserve
American Prairie Reserve is creating the largest nature reserve in the continental United States.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Purchasing Coordinator, Recreation Coordinator, Senior Development Officer-Annual Giving, Special Education Teacher and more - Intermountain
Intermountain is a non-profit agency that has been impacting the lives of children and families for over 100 years
- Montana Career Opportunities - Account Executive, Account Coordinator - LumenAd
LumenAd is a Missoula, Montana based AdTech that unifies sophisticated media distribution with real-time campaign management software.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Goomzee
Do you believe you have what it takes, and are interested in learning about career opportunities with our company in the Missoula, Montana area?
- Montana Career Opportunities - Senior Software Engineer - GIS, Software Engineer - Android, Digital Experience Optimization Coordinator, Head of Talent and Professional Development and more... - onXmaps
Our proprietary data collection and analysis power the most accurate and current maps available.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Cost Control Engineer, Visual Inspector, Finance Analyst, Systems Engineer and more.. - Loenbro
Across our divisions we have many opportunities for experienced professionals and for those who are just beginning careers in pipeline construction, welding, inspection or another trade.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Consumer Loan Officer, Contact Center Operations Manager, Loan Operations Manger and more... - First Interstate Bank
First Interstate Bank is a community banking organization, operating over 120 offices throughout Idaho, Montana, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, and Wyoming.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Marketing Manager, Back End Developer - TOMIS
TOMIS is an automated marketing intelligence platform for activity providers.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce Developer, Salesforce Architect - Zinovo
We are doing something pretty cool.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Enterprise Account Managers, Front End Engineers, Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Software Engineer and more... - Quiq
We are maniacally focused on changing how companies and customers communicate.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Vice President of Enrollment and Strategic Communications - University of Montana
In this role, you will provide administrative oversight and visionary leadership in the capacity of the University's chief enrollment strategist, communications authority, and outreach planner.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Community & Economic Vitality (CEV) Program Specialist - The Community Development Division for the Department of Commerce
The Community Development Division for the Department of Commerce is looking for a Community & Economic Vitality (CEV) Program Specialist with rich experience administering projects to promote and enhance community revitalization and economic development through education, marketing, and technical assistance for Montana's communities.
- Career Opportunities with Town Pump in Montana and Idaho
The world is changing and so is our Town Pump business.
- Bozeman Business and Professional Women hold awards ceremony
Herron hopes that by honoring these women and providing resources for other young women in the area, Bozeman will continue to build upon its strong tradition of empowered and successful women in the community, and hopefully move closer to full equality for professional women.
- The Gig Economy: Unsatisfying, or a Unique Opportunity?
Reality, as ever, is complex, and gig work has upsides as well as downsides.
- The Spy Who Came Home - Why an expert in counterterrorism became a beat cop.
"We have to stop treating people like we're in Fallujah."
Canada Business & Economic Development
- U.S. Department of Agriculture launches rural development web page + Montana's first guide to agritourism
"Rural communities need forward-thinking strategies to build strong, resilient futures."
Business Plan Forums
- Ottawa to unveil IP strategy aimed at innovators, small businesses
Firms that hold formal IP are more likely to engage in product innovation, more likely to export around the world
City Club Missoula
- This 27-Year-Old Scientist Has A Fix For Our Pesticide Problem
The winner of the 2018 Lemelson-MIT Student Prize thinks he can drastically cut the pesticides we use, by making them stickier.
- Billings entrepreneur contest scales back to focus more on current stable of winners
There will be no 2018 Battle of the Plans.
- City Club Missoula Presents: Western Montana's Changing Firescape: How Does It Impact Our Community - 5/14
The Evolving Structure and Science of Wildfire Management and What it Means to Our Community.
Incubators and R&D
- Recreation? Idahoans are making it happen
When we decided to dedicate an issue of Square Feet to recreation spaces in Idaho, we had no idea how difficult it would be to choose from all of the action-oriented projects that are recently completed, planned, or underway.
- Making ideas into reality at MIT's 'Future Factory'
"The Media Lab is this glorious mixture, this renaissance, where we break down these formal disciplines and we mix it all up and we see what pops out."
- Species similar to humans can't contract wildlife-killing disease (Chronic Wasting Disease) , 13-year study finds
While that news may provide some comfort to Montana deer hunters, one of the chief scientists of the study said people need to remain cautious when processing or consuming wild game.
- Nike's 'bro culture' collides with #MeToo movement
At least six executives and senior managers have been forced out since March as tales have surfaced of Nike's bullying "bro" culture.
- 5 things we learned about Nike's toxic work culture this weekend
Over the last few weeks, a trickle of male executives have quietly left the athletic apparel giant in the wake of detailed allegations of sexism against female employees.
- Tennessee makes community college free for all adults
Lawmakers approved legislation Wednesday that will expand the Tennessee Promise program that launched in 2014.
- Inside The Itinerary That Wowed 250 Tech VCs
So instead of keeping the itinerary to ourselves, we thought why not allow others to see the kinds of must-do events and must-meet people
- 7 American Cities and States That Will Actually Pay You to Move There
Nothing beats these cities and states that are ponying up to get you to pack up the hatchback and scoot on over -- especially if you want to buy your first home.
Regional Economic Development
- Hulu Live TV Lineup Now Includes Nearly 600 Local Stations Across the U.S.
Here is the full list of local TV stations available in Hulu with Live TV
- State of the App Economy Report Highlights American Leadership in the $950 Billion App Economy
The report identifies the value and potential of the app economy across the United States and highlights the contributions of more than one hundred American app developers and tech innovators in this thriving and vibrant ecosystem.
- New Scrutiny for the Federal 'Opportunity Zones' Program
Opportunity Zones--a new federal program that flew under the radar of the GOP tax reform bill signed at the end of 2017--has been moving along and attracting new attention from media outlets.
- Area 59 Maker Space to foster innovation for Gillette, Wyoming entrepreneurs
He likened the maker space to "a gym for people that like to build things with robots and lasers."
- Editorial board: Blockchain could be a boon for Wyoming
The Cowboy State has now legalized many applications of blockchain technology, from trading virtual currency to storing corporate records, making Wyoming one of the first states to welcome the new digital frontier with open, deregulated arms.
- University of Wyoming board 'swept' more than $100 million from various campus accounts
"It's screwed us up," said Faculty Senate chair-elect Donal O'Toole, who teaches in the Veterinary Sciences Department. "If you want a technical answer, it screwed us up. Real bad."
- Airport, aviation company in talks to build Cheyenne flight school
"The colleges just didn't have the passion for it that I have," he said. "So I had this epiphany that, if I can't work with them, I might as well build my own. I have taught a number of professional pilots, and many former students are flying for military services."
Montana Education Excellence
- Nevada Law Requiring College Courses Could Send Teachers Packing
One of the issues is cost.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Montana iLEAD is seeking a coalition of Montana Coaches and Leader-Development Training Experts for International Coaching Week - May 7-12, 2018.
Our goal is to make leadership training and professional coaching accessible through free pop-out leader workshops and pro-bono coaching sessions.
- Montana State University LaunchCats - A team of dedicated entrepreneurial students striving to change the landscape of entrepreneurship in Montana and beyond.
LaunchCats events are all centered around engaging students in design thinking and 360 degree mentorship to redefine the "classroom setting".
- "A time of change": Possible organizational changes at Montana Tech raise questions
Nick DiGiovine, a member of the Montana Tech Foundation's Board of Directors, told the audience, "This is a time of change -- a time of rapid change."
- At Design Fair, MSU engineering seniors turn classroom learning into solutions
Seniors majoring in a variety of disciplines from across the Norm Asbjornson College of Engineering showed off projects they have spent up to a year working on with local companies and other sponsors.
Funding and Building your Business
- Downtown Master Plan looks to inform the next chapter in Missoula's evolution
"We hope to have a request for proposals done in June and have that out to bid and under contract by September, so we can begin updating our master plan for the next 25-year vision."
Connectivity & Communications
- Most choose dream job over pay equality in recent poll
A new poll reveals that most people, especially millennials, would rather have their dream career than equal pay.
- Jeff Bezos Knows How to Run a Meeting. Here's How He Does It
Bad meetings: We've all experienced them. Whether it's poor planning, too much talking, or lack of preparation, bad meetings waste precious time and money.
- Aleksandr Kogan: The link between Cambridge Analytica and Facebook
Mark Zuckerberg has been the one testifying before Congress, but the scientist at the heart of the biggest privacy scandal on Earth has largely stayed out of the spotlight, until now
- Montana Interactive is the eGovernment services provider for the State of Montana
Saving Montana over $16 million since 2001
- Florida's Data-Driven Future
Chief Information Officer Eric Larson talks about Florida's plans to work on how the Agency for State Technology manages data to realize better outcomes across the state.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- The Equus International Film Festival - 'Celebrating The Horse, Our Veterans & Native American Culture' 11/9-11-Missoula
This is a unique and important film event and conference that fills an important niche.
- Attn. Horse Lovers - The Equus International Film Festival is Accepting Sponsors.
As a sponsor of the EQUUS INTERNATIONAL Film Festival, one of the first equine film festivals in the world whose focus is on equine welfare and the equine/human bond, you will reach a target audience for your company, organization and mission.
- Charles M. Russell: The Women In His Life And Art - 5/18-9/30 - Great Falls, Montana
Russell depicted a surprisingly large number of women fulfilling an expansive range of western roles.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- A room of one's own: Affordable artist studios are a growing business in Billings
"It makes me more productive to actually have an official place to go work," Lightner said. "I get to the studio, I'm focused and I choose what I want to do."
- Life-sized 3D holograms could be coming to your next videoconference
Plain old video calls could soon be made to look very outdated, thanks to new research coming out of Queen's University in Ontario.
- New CRISPR-based Platform Could Soon Diagnose Diseases From the Comfort of Your Home
All that you need to diagnose a disease from the comfort of your home is a mobile app and a credit-card sized testing strip.
- Bureau of Transportation Services: Missoula's average airfare lowest in the state
The average cost of an airline ticket out of Missoula International Airport has dropped nearly $40 over the past five years, a result of the city's growing list of destinations and the presence of discount carriers.
- Sidewalk Labs' New Tool Uses Smartphone Data to Model Changes in Transportation
With statistical modeling, one can take travel data from a relatively small slice of people in an area and come up with a pretty reliable view of how the larger population moves.
- New Driverless Shuttle Tests Hit the Road in Michigan, Wisconsin
Navya also launched a similar pilot run for driverless shuttles on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus this month, and is already testing vehicles in Las Vegas, Paris, and Christchurch.
- Spokane is booming. Time to figure out parking.
The last time the city of Spokane did a parking study might as well have been 1,000 years ago.
- Smart cities tech isn't just for cars. Portland is out to prove that sensors and data can benefit all modes of travel.
Investing in the 'Smart Cities' Approach to Bike Planning
- The Pentagon Could Get Self-Driving Vehicles First
The stakes for the military are high. According to Griffin, 52 percent of casualties in combat zones can been attributed to military personnel delivering food, fuel and other logistics.
- MREA to co-lead study on solar + electric vehicles in Montana
Over the next 18 months, the Montana team will be researching how communities can integrate electric vehicles, co-located with solar photovoltaic technology, into their transportation planning for residents, public transportation, and municipal fleets.
- One way to get self-driving cars on the road faster: let insurers control them
The idea is to explore not just how cars could pass data between each other in order to drive more effectively, but also how that data could be used by third parties like municipal authorities and, crucially, insurers.
- Watch Tesla's Autopilot avoid a swerving semi-truck.
Tesla's semi-autonomous driving mode, Autopilot, did what it's supposed to do -- move the car out of harm's way.
- Manufacturing & International Trade Day - 5/22 - Missoula, Montana
- FVCC Students Present Research At Annual Conference - 5/22 - Kalispell, MT
- Didn't Get Tickets To TEDxBOZEMAN? Watch The Live Steam 4/28 Starting At 11AM
- Western Pathways Conference 2018 - 5/30-6/1 - Salt Lake City, Utah
- The 2018 Montana Young Professional Summit - 6/20-22 - Butte, Montana
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page