|MATR Newsletter - Fri Feb 9, 2018|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
How to answer a call from a telemarketer - Priceless http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Hey Web Developers. MATR needs your help! --- http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- Reserve your place at the table today! - City Club Missoula Presents Imagining A University Of Montana For The Future: President Seth Bodnar - 2/12 --- http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Gov. Steve Bullock
Montana Politics & Legislature
- Montana Governor Steve Bullock: 2020 presidential talk is early, but interesting. Senate? Not so much
"Montana has a good story to tell," the governor said Tuesday in a one-on-one interview. (And he's formed a national PAC to tell that story.) "It's presumptuous to be talking about it, but at the same time it's interesting to get to be part of that conversation."
- Gov. Bullock outlines goals, challenges for year ahead
"Rather than letting me exercise the authority of making cuts and then, if there are additional revenues, to decide where to backfill those, the Legislature actually voted to make all of those cuts law," he said. "So they hamstrung my ability to mitigate those cuts in many, many ways."
- Steve Bullock for President?
Here's the evidence:
Montana World Affairs Council
- Survey says: Regardless of party ties, most Montana voters are conservationists
The eighth-annual Conservation in the West survey shows Montana voters are divided on Trump but united on public lands.
Flathead Valley Community College
- Discover Congo And Global Conflict/Resolution With Whitney Williams - 3/16 - Webinar
Whitney Williams, Co-founder of the Eastern Congo Initiative http://www.easterncongo.org/ will moderate the event.
- Council in the Classroom - Upcoming Programs Sponsored by The Montana World Affairs Council
Conflict is a natural part of life, and it can be managed in ways that promote positive outcomes, even in the most difficult circumstances, if the right tools are put into practice.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Learn to Eliminate Wasted Time and Effort and Boost Productivity Using Lean Principles
"Lean is a tool set, a management system and a philosophy that can change the way you organize and manage your operations, no matter what business you're in," said Nicholson.
- Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation kicks off speaker series at FVCC - First Wednesday of the Month and Open to All
Speakers include author and wildlife expert with Fish, Wildlife and Parks for more than 40 years and Adjunct Instructor at FVCC John Fraley and Colter Pence the Wilderness and Wild and Scenic River Manager of the Flathead National Forest, and U.S. Forest Service.
- Schedule set for Great Falls Development Authority "What's Up With Great Falls Economic Development" economic development information sessions
GFDA has scheduled the sessions through June and will then assess how much interest there is in continuing, according to Brett Doney, GFDA director.
- GFDA 4th Quarter 2017 Index
Hungry to Grow the Great Falls region
VR/AR, Blockchain, Bitcoin, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Hidden Moose Lodge - Whitefish bed and breakfast is 'Best Ski Hotel in North America' again in 2017
The Taylors can't imagine doing anything differently with their lives and have said, without a moment's hesitation, it's the people who come through their doors that brings joy to their lives.
Energy and Climate Change
- These 20 Companies are Placing Big Bets on Blockchain Technology
Though the Bitcoin craze has died down, multiple companies are still very interested in applying blockchain technology to their products and services.
- Bitcoin Mining as Economic Development
The New York Power Authority is considering a new kind of economic development scheme.
- Startup Raises $20 Million to Launch a Blockchain-Based YouTube Competitor
Lino, an autonomous video startup in Silicon Valley, aims to build a decentralized, collectively-owned video content distribution system which will remove the middlemen.
Come Home Montana
- Squaw Valley Ski Resort in Tahoe Will Get Tesla Powerpacks to Reach 100% Renewable Energy Goal
Squaw Valley is well on track to achieving their 100% renewable goal by the end of the year thanks to a recent deal with a local solar energy farm.
- Patagonia Action Works is the new platform for aspiring environmental activists
"If you've been paying attention, you'll know that things aren't going very well for the planet," Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard explained in a promo video for the platform, which went live Wednesday. "It's pretty easy to get depressed about it. I've always known that the cure for depression is action."
- Montana Career Opportunity - Administrative Assistant/Senior Project Coordinator (SPC) - Profitable Ideas Exchange
We are looking for people who are not afraid to pick up the phone and call an executive office anywhere in the world.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Customer Experience Representative - Submittable
We're looking for a few smart, energetic, patient, and... empathetic people to join our Customer Experience team. It would be a great job for an artist, writer, or musician (but NO DRUMMERS) who needs health insurance and a pretty good salary but has additional goals and passions.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Web Developer, Operations Coordinator, Trip Planner - Sales & Support and more... - Adventure Life
Forget a job description, we're looking to grow our tribe of world explorers!
- Hey Web Developers. MATR needs your help!
The site is over 15 years old and needs to be updated.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Chief Business Development Officer and more... - S&K Global Solutions
S&K Global Solutions is a professional services company that supports over 20 federal agencies .
- Warren Miller: Innovator, Inspiration and Icon 1924-2018
The voice was utterly unmistakable, and it was validation on a spiritual level; like getting an audio high five from the Buddha himself. Warren Miller had blessed us.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Farm Business Finance & Grants Management Specialist - The Community Food & Agriculture Coalition (CFAC)
CFAC's mission is to develop and strengthen Missoula County's food system: promoting sustainable agriculture; building regional self-reliance; and assuring all citizens equal access to healthy, affordable, and culturally-appropriate food.
Montana Economic Development
- Failure is not an Option - Montana's Red Oxx Manufacturing
Despite their current success, Red Oxx Manufacturing experienced obstacles as the business grew. C.E.O. Jim Markel shares how his military experience and his desire to succeed propelled the business forward through turbulent times.
- Montana Father's Heart Attack Leads Daughter into Medicine
A long ride to medical care can be deadly. A Montana State University medical program seeks to build a bigger supply of rural physicians by sending doctors-in-training to rural primary care settings.
- fourOsix founder shares his entrepreneurship story
Rincon said Thursday's presentation was about helping out the students since he was once in their shoes.
- Meet Zach and Sarah, proprietors of Missoula's Dram Shop
The Dram hosts a series of different events: from takeovers which feature a specific brewer, to tastings and pairings that feature a certain style from various producers and local restaurants.
- Startup Fever is Catching on Everywhere (Even in this Little Montana Town)
Fifteen miles outside of Helena, Montana, our plans changed.
Come Home Idaho
- Ten Ways Your Resume Can Scare Employers Away
Your resume might be scaring employers away. If you are applying for lots of job openings but you aren't hearing anything back, this could be your problem. How would you know?
- You Don't Have to Be a Data Scientist to Fill This Must-Have Analytics Role
Companies have widened their aperture, recognizing that success with AI and analytics requires not just data scientists but entire cross-functional, agile teams that include data engineers, data architects, data-visualization experts, and--perhaps most important--translators.
- What trucking tells us about the future of work
Automation -- meaning almost any technology that promotes efficiency -- has been eliminating jobs for decades without crippling the economy's ability to create new jobs.
- Creating a personal website might be the most important thing you can do when searching for a new job
Even if you don't run a business or create content for a living, you should have a site with at least a basic bio about yourself and a photo so that when someone Googles your name, a URL will appear in search results.
Come Home Wyoming
- Idaho Career Opportunity - Client Accounting Manager, Montana & Idaho CDC, Boise
Are you a CPA looking for an opportunity to make a positive impact on individuals and communities? Talk to us! Our mission-driven financing company is expanding its Boise, ID office.
- Idaho Virtual Reality Council Launches Job Board
We've added a job board to the IVRC site as a centralized location for all positions in Idaho related to VR/AR/MR.
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Wyoming Nonprofit Network Job Board
Are you a Nonprofit Member of the Wyoming Nonprofit Network?
- The least connected people in America
Nowhere is the 'digital divide' more extreme than on tribal lands. Will Washington's solution fix the problem?
City Club Missoula
- Saving America's Small Cities
Vibrant small cities not only offer a hedge against the health of our big ones--certain as that health seems now--but a number of distinct perks of their own.
- Reserve your place at the table today! - City Club Missoula Presents Imagining A University Of Montana For The Future: President Seth Bodnar - 2/12
In his presentation to City Club, Bodnar will provide insights on his brief time thus far in the presidency, the thematic priorities shaping his vision for the University of Montana, and how a UM education prepares students for success in a complex and changing world.
- Democrats lash out at consumer watchdog amid reports the agency is dropping Equifax investigation
Failing to investigate the data breach would put "145 million Americans at risk [and] is malpractice," said Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio), ranking Democrat of the Senate Banking Committee. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.) said, "The Trump administration has chosen to protect Equifax while denying Americans justice and accountability."
- New polling shows Westerners strongly opposed to anti-public lands legislation and executive action
Polling in five House districts shows Representatives at risk for supporting anti-public lands legislation, part of broader ad campaign
- Daines touts bill to release wilderness study areas in Senate hearing
If implemented, Senate Bill 2206 would release five Wilderness Study Areas totaling nearly 500,000 acres in Montana from further review as potential wilderness.
- Politics prompted outdoor retailers to leave Utah. New poll appears to back them up
Western politicians on both sides of the aisle ignore public land issues at their own peril, said Amy Kleiner Roberts.
Incubators and R&D
- Finalists named in Idaho State University presidential search
There will also be an opportunity to provide feedback online to the selection committee about each candidate.
- Idaho Stripped Climate Change From School Guidelines. Now, It's a Battle.
Now teachers, parents and students are pushing back, hoping to convince the Republican-controlled Idaho Legislature to approve revised standards, which science proponents say are watered down but would still represent a victory for climate-change education in the state.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- 'White Heat' MSU researchers examine human risk taking when out in back country
This project will dive into the reasons on why people take risks that could potentially cost them their lives.
Oregon Economic Development
- Top 10 Reasons to Love North Dakota's Small Businesses
#2. Support their Main Streets - The 70,944 small businesses in North Dakota are located in every community and neighborhood.
- Portland State woos low-income transfers with Oregon Promise-like 'free' program
It comes on the heels of a separate program introduced last year aimed at high-achieving first-year freshman from low-income households, which school officials touted as one of the reasons PSU had the largest freshman class in school history.
- Stockton, CA Gets Ready to Experiment With Universal Basic Income
'I think Stockton is absolutely ground zero for a lot of the issues we are facing as a nation.'Michael Tubbs, mayor of Stockton
- EU will only make trade deals with nations that ratify Paris climate agreement
The United States would be excluded.
- Workforce winning in latest state budget proposals; KS, MA, MI, OK, TN reviewed
Workforce development programs and apprenticeships continue to win favor in many of the governors' state budget proposals.
Montana Education Excellence
- Wyoming intends to ENDOW workforce with tools for success
"With ENDOW, we're charting a new course for our economy," Rieman told his listeners. "We are preparing to welcome new talent and to increase employment opportunities for our youth."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- University of Montana planning Innovation Campus, Commons as part of larger tech, medical corridor
While the effort remains in the planning stages, it calls for an Innovation Corridor that would connect the Montana Technology Enterprise Center with a proposed Innovation Campus, which would occupy the motor pool just east of Washington-Grizzly Stadium.
- MSU accounting students to offer free tax help starting Feb. 12 to low-medium income families
Tax guidance will be offered to people living in households with a gross income of under fifty-eight thousand dollars.
- In the Red: How UM Dining's upscale restaurant 'The Iron Griz' poured nearly $1 million down the drain
Since UM Dining took over the golf course snack bar, renovated and reopened it as the Iron Griz in 2015, the restaurant has suffered losses of more than $820,000, including capital expenses, and is on pace to break $1 million in net losses next year, financial documents obtained by the Kaimin show.
- University of Montana, Missoula City Council pledge to work more closely together on new strategies
The success of the city and UM are linked together, they agreed - a fact than necessitates a collaborate approach to success.
Funding and Building your Business
- Kalispell recognized as top retirement destination
Magazine editor Annette Fuller said many relocating retirees seek the benefits of being near water, without the coastal weather flare ups that can occur near the ocean.
- Kings, queens and in-betweens talk tips and tricks for being fabulous
"The drag community has been so supportive and encouraging and empowering here in Montana."
- Correcting misconceptions about SBA loans
The truth is that SBA loans can be one of the most affordable and worry-free sources of money for most business situations.
- 5 Ways Today's Market Allows Startups To Scale Faster - Startup Professionals Musings
What are the critical factors that are fueling the recent rapid scaling of consumer brands in today's marketplace?"
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Podcast - It's All About Timing: How Nonprofits Can Increase Charitable Donations
New research from Wharton shows that timing is the key to maximizing donations, particularly from people with an existing connection to the organization.
- The Archie Bray Foundation - Ceramics Artists Experimenting at a Shuttered Montana Brick Factory
"Once you get a call from the director," she says, "you go."
- How to answer a call from a telemarketer - Priceless
How to answer that call at dinnertime.
- The latest trend in Silicon Valley: shunning technology
"Literally, the only electricity we use is one lamp,"
- What a Life he Led - Mourning John Perry Barlow, the Bard of the Internet - From the Greatful Dead to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
He was bigger than life.
- Not So Fast. Fully Autonomous Vehicles Are More Than a Decade Away, Experts Say
"Automation is going to come. [...] I just don't think any of us know exactly when or how, or to what extent."
- Glacier Park International Airport To Host TSA Pre "Pop-up" Event Is Scheduled February 26 To March 2
The nearest permanent enrollment facility in Montana for TSA Preis more than 400 miles from Kalispell, meaning this event will provide a valuable service to area residents.
- How Lyft and Uber Can Fix--Not Cause--Congestion
The key: using ride-hailing apps to carpool.
- What's Holding Driverless Cars Back? It's Not Tech. It's People, Says Michigan Governor
Snyder also appeared with governors Brian Sandoval of Nevada and Steve Bullock of Montana in Las Vegas to discuss states' roles in promoting technology adoption.
- Pedestrians First: A New Tool for Walkable Cities
Eleven ways to make a city more walkable.
- Outdated Auto Safety Regulations Threaten the Self-Driving Revolution
The federal government's failure to modernize auto regulations is already denying consumers safer and superior products, and this problem will only grow larger as automated driving systems near the deployment stage.
- Rich Barton, Former Microsoft Executive, Spring 2018 Orser Speaker, 02/22, Bozeman
- Project Management Certification Boot Camp - PMP / CAPM - Helena, 05/21, Helena
- Yellowstone Valley Gives - 5/3-4 - Billings, Montana
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page