|MATR Newsletter - Tue May 2, 2017|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Spring is coming so be sure to reverse your automobile battery cables so the air conditioning comes on instead of the heater.
Butte Local Development Corporation Seeking New Executive Director - "The BLDC Executive Director plays a pivotal role in working with businesses, other economic development entities, and Butte Silver Bow Government to support and retain local businesses, seek new economic opportunities, and develop new partnerships to drive economic growth. We are seeking a new Executive Director with the vision and skills to continue the significant momentum that has been created over the past few years." http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Montana Politics & Legislature
- Honoring the Backbone of Montana's Economy - Small Business Week is April 30-May 6
As a business owner myself, I know firsthand Montana is a great place for entrepreneurs.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Montana Legislature ends without passing infrastructure bonding bill; Governor Bullock calls vote 'incomprehensible'
"It is incomprehensible to me that we walk out of this session again without a general infrastructure bill," Bullock said at a press conference. "I'm disappointed that some legislators put partisan politics over Montana jobs and the strength of our communities."
- Gazette opinion: No money for Montana school buildings - again
Seven Yellowstone County lawmakers didn't vote for SB367 on the final attempt, accounting for more than the three-vote margin of defeat. Voting "no" were Don Jones, Dennis Lenz, Vince Ricci, Adam Rosendale and Peggy Webb - all Republicans. Republicans Dale Mortensen and Daniel Zolnikov were absent, but previously had voted against the bill.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Dorsey & Whitney's Employment Law Handbook Now Available Online
Dorsey's Employment Law Handbook includes a comprehensive analysis of federal employment laws, as well as key state law differences in certain jurisdictions where Dorsey's labor and employment attorneys practice, including California, Colorado, Iowa, Montana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Utah, and Washington.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Here's the GFDA Top 14 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward.
This is our 300th GFDA Top 10! Help us celebrate by forwarding this to friends and colleagues who may not get our weekly Top 10.
- Russ Hendrickson is pushing the limits of technology at Missoula Public Schools to help prepare our future leaders
"If we want these kids to be ready for the new world, we need to expose them to the latest technology," Connelly said. "Otherwise they aren't going to be well-equipped."
Arrow Solutions Group
- Video: "Cyber Ranch-Montana to New York" - Bringing the World to Montana - The Dunrovin Ranch - Lolo, Montana
Where Horses are Partners and Guests are Friends
Big Sky Commerce
- Arrow Solutions Group will be joining the North Dakota I.T. Symposium, 5/3, Fargo, ND
This IT Symposium explores critical business, technology, and leadership strategies while serving as a professional peer network platform and a deep-dive into real-world knowledge on business changing technology and management solutions.
Energy and Climate Change
- As we celebrate our 14th year in business this month, we at Big Sky Commerce, Inc. salute our fellow entrepreneurs throughout Western Montana.
Building a family and lifestyle-centric, privately-owned company in Missoula continues to be a rewarding experience!
Come Home Montana
- Will Innovative Technologies Help Wyoming Change the Way We Use Coal?
CIO Tony Young says the state is looking to capture carbon dioxide and turn it into a useful product -- and XPrize is offering a $20 million award to the team that can do it.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- They need your help - Helmville, Montana (est. pop. 250) scrambles to save iconic rodeo grandstand - "one of Montana's and the American West's most treasured traditional historic rodeos."
One local remembers a young Max Baucus, running for Congress, riding his first saddle bronc at Helmville.
- Montana's Selway Corporation looking for new owner, more work
"I'm trying to keep encouraged," Downing said. "I'm seeing a lot of projects getting underway out there. This is a great facility, with great employees. I'm going to do what I can to move them forward."
- Butte Local Development Corporation Seeking New Executive Director
"The BLDC Executive Director plays a pivotal role in working with businesses, other economic development entities, and Butte Silver Bow Government to support and retain local businesses, seek new economic opportunities, and develop new partnerships to drive economic growth. We are seeking a new Executive Director with the vision and skills to continue the significant momentum that has been created over the past few years."
- A New Wave of Innovation and Job Creation
Our nation must launch a skills initiative to ensure that our young people have the tools and experience to take advantage of the opportunities that the digital economy provides.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Video: SBA 2017 Montana Small Business Person of the Year - Mark Bretz - Bretz RV & Marine, Missoula, MT
Congratulations to Mark and the Bretz Team. And a big congrats also to the Banker behind the scenes! Happy for all you both do.
- Missoula-based Windfall Studio
We're telling your story, and it's a damn good one.
- Montgomery Distillery to open concert venue on top of Missoula's Mount Sentinel
"Not only will this be the largest venue in Montana, accommodating roughly 30,000 concert-goers, but it will definitely be the highest in elevation," Montgomery says. "We're going to be literally looking down on everyone."
- Montana's Next Frontier Capital Turns Two
As we turn two, our thanks go out to our Limited Partners, Founders, portfolio employees, co-investors, and the great State of Montana, her people, and dynamic communities.
- Today's TED Talk - What you can do to prevent Alzheimer's
Alzheimer's doesn't have to be your brain's destiny, says neuroscientist and author of Still Alice, Lisa Genova.
- TED Day Three: The Mind-Scrambling TED Talk I Won't Stop Sharing
How can we better understand the world within and around us?
- TED Talk: Prioritizing these three things will improve your life -- and maybe even save it
Smoking, drinking, exercise and even heart problems are not predictors of a person's longevity -- a person's close relationships and social integration were.
- TED Talks - This is what's in Elon Musk's brain right now
"I think it's extremely important that we have sustainable transport and sustainable energy production. That sort of overall sustainable energy problem is the biggest problem that we have to solve this century, independent of environmental concerns."
Canada Business & Economic Development
- Google exec, Mark Cuban agree that these college majors are the most robot-resistant
"Knowing how to critically think and assess them from a global perspective I think is going to be more valuable," Cuban said, speaking at SXSW in March, "than what we see as exciting careers today which might be programming or CPA or those types of things."
- Canada's biggest obstacle to innovation is attitude
Canada is at a crossroads.
- Montana Closing 3 Job Service Offices Due to Budget Cuts
Montana is closing Job Service offices in Livingston, Glasgow and Shelby due to budget cuts.
- How Rural Idaho Schools Are Coping With Deep Cuts To Timber Program Money
"Eighty percent of Idaho County is non-taxable property and without Rural Schools, we would be forced to ask patrons to increase their taxes a whole lot to keep our schools at this level."
- Oregon pushes for wooden skyscrapers to revive timber industry
It's rare that a governor shows up to celebrate a new condo tower.
- Jive Software, once Portland's signature tech company, sells for $462 million
Jive's sale is the second big deal this year for one of Portland's most established tech companies.
Utah Economic Development
- Steve Case on Tennessee's Emerging Startup Ecosystem - "Rise of the Rest"
Revolution's "Rise of the Rest" develops emerging startup ecosystems, such as the ones all across Tennessee.
Washington State Business
- University of Utah tops nation for tech startups, innovations - $210 million in licensing income
Between 2012 and 2015, the University of Utah generated more than $210 million in licensing income and seeded 69 new businesses, a production rate the report describes as a "remarkable accomplishment" in light the school's location in a smaller metropolitan area.
- State of Washington sued over community colleges' troubled software system
The company that has filed for bankruptcy in the middle of a troubled project to install a new computer software system for Washington's community colleges is suing the state, claiming it is owed some $13 million.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Wyoming Governor Matt Mead announces board for economic diversification effort
Mead said ENDOW - which stands for Economically Needed Diversity Options for Wyoming - was critical for the state's economy in the long term. He emphasized finding stable streams of state revenue and creating more opportunities for young adults in Wyoming.
- Vouchers Found to Lower Test Scores in Washington Schools
Students who were not selected for vouchers fared better academically.
- This inspiring teacher's 'Wootube' channel is making math fun again
For many students, Woo's method of teaching has helped suck them into the world of math, a subject which many kids can struggle with.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- What you need to know about school vouchers
There are important things the public should know about the voucher concept's origination.
Montana Education Excellence
- MAPS Media Arts Fest Saturday, May 20, 2017, Hamilton, Montana
And don't forget our infamous Pie Potluck at MAPS following the event.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Ideas Needed - Sentinel High School's Project Lead the Way Principles of Engineering class is looking for ideas for a green engineering final project.
There are 24 smart and energetic students that want to make their mark and do something to 'green up' Sentinel's http://www.mcpsmt.org/sentinel campus.
- University Of Montana Computer Science Students Demo Night, 5/4, Missoula
Five teams of students from the University of Montana's Computer Science department will present their projects. Many of these students are graduating seniors, while others are motivated juniors.
- Missoula Writing Collaborative - 'Poetry saves lives'
Our writers teach 2,000 students each year in settings ranging from a two-room school in Ovando to multi-classroom Missoula elementary, middle and high schools.
- Washington Elementary school program in Billings, Montana builds bridges in special education
Teachers decided to make an extra effort to make sure special education students weren't isolated, integrating a mentoring program, providing extra physical education opportunities and holding a "Respect Rally" assembly.
Funding and Building your Business
- Missoula, Montana tech companies Lumenad and Submittable host Lolo middle school students
"We hope to have around 500 employees by the time you all graduate high school," FitzGerald told the kids. "You can stay in Montana and share with the world based on the architecture of the Internet."
Connectivity & Communications
- A Peek Inside the Mind of Jeff Bezos
I encourage you to read Jeff's letter to shareholders in its entirety, check out the bonus video interview at the end, and add comments to share what you find particularly interesting in the letter.
- Everything You Need to Know About Creating Videos for Your Business (Even If You Have No Video Experience)
"Now when people go online and search, our videos pull up. It increased our sales." Joining the video vanguard is surprisingly easy. Use these tips to start shooting.
- What's Your Favorite Podcast and Why?
Write a few sentences. From your favorite podcast, is there a particular episode you think our readers should start with?
- Can Blockchain Technology Secure Your Vote?
Votem CEO Pete Martin covers where we are and where we are heading to secure the vote.
- One Montana Spring 2017 Newsletter - Model Collaboration and Innovation Continue
Our work is fueled by our shared passion for this great state we all love and enjoy.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Why Do We Have Blood Types?
Scientists have yet to come up with a good explanation for their very existence.
- "Loco" on Netflix - Montana-based sitcom starts filming in Laurel
A new sitcom highlighting family life in a small town in Montana could soon be seen on Netflix.
- Liberty Mobility Now - Need a ride in farm country or in a distant exurb? How one company wants to help
Liberty Mobility Now is bringing an Uber-like ride-hailing service to far flung Americans. The company aims to fill a gap in transit needs for small urban and rural communities.
- Elon Musk says we're only 2 years from being able to nap in self-driving cars
Answering a question regarding how long it will be before we can hop in our self-driving car, give it directions, and then take a nap until we've reached out destination, Musk says he thinks we're about two years away.
- Parking garages are getting a second life as places for people
The rise of driverless vehicles and decline in car ownership means reimagining these ubiquitous structures
- Proterra to test self-driving bus in downtown Reno
Proterra, the Burlingame electric bus company, has partnered with the University of Nevada, Reno to develop and test autonomous buses in the heart of Reno's downtown.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page