|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 7, 2017|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is noise before defeat." ― Sun Tzu - "The Art of War"
Montana University Students to Compete in Statewide Business Startup Competition at University of Montana 4/13 - All are invited to attend the finals. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Department of Commerce
Montana Politics & Legislature
- How Montana's Film Industry Helps Boost Main Street Economies
visitors who come to Montana because they saw or heard of Big Sky Country in films or TV spent $25 million in our communities last year.
- Department of Commerce Helps Montana Distillers, Brewers Export Overseas
Producers will be part of a Montana-branded pavilion at Wine and Gourmet Japan, a tradeshow in Tokyo, from April 12-14.
Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Montana Senator Scott Sales Wants to Tax Every Cyclist Who Visits the State
Sales has said cyclists need "to put some skin in the game" when it comes to road and recreation funding in the state, and even some of those in his own party think his tax amendment targeting cyclists goes a step too far.
- Montana legislators defund student loan aid for rural teachers, nixing recruiting tool for schools
Many of Montana's isolated schools struggle to recruit and retain teachers, and Montana pays beginning teachers worse than any other state in the country.
- Huffington Post - A Montana Special Election Nobody Is Following Could Deal A Huge Blow To Trump
Big Sky Country Democrats are running a legendary folk singer with a populist flair against a cartoon plutocrat. Why won't the national party pay attention?
- Orphan Girl can still be sold in Butte tasting room, but drinkers don't get an extra hour to finish cocktails
Butte's Orphan Girl won't be getting kicked to the curb after all.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Building an AI Chip Saved Google From Building a Dozen New Data Centers
Rather than double its data center footprint, Google instead built its own computer chip specifically for running deep neural networks, called the Tensor Processing Unit, or TPU.
Energy and Climate Change
- Lochsa 2017 is ON!
Has to be on your bucket list.
- Anthony Bourdain - Parts Unknown - Montana
You will be stunned, stunned and silenced by the breathtaking, magnificent beauty of Montana's wide open spaces.
Come Home Montana
- These cities are totally slaying the solar power game
A new report found the country has made some serious solar strides in 2016, particularly in 20 cities across the country.
- The rural renewable power renaissance
Solar and wind have made great strides across the country. Will Trump's budget halt progress toward a greener heartland?
- Montana Career Opportunity - Systems Administrator - ALPS
If you are a team player who can analyze and resolve end user hardware and software computer problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training where required please apply.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Real Estate Investment Analyst - Braxton & Klein Capital
You will work closely with ownership in analyzing new development, acquisition, disposition opportunities as well as assisting in asset managing the company's existing portfolio of hotels and multifamily projects .
- Montana Career Opportunity - Web Content Manager - Rocky Mountain College
This position is responsible for creating, gathering, reviewing, editing and publishing compelling and strategic content on RMC's website.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Director of Sales & Marketing - Ron Terry Construction
If you know of a dynamic sales person, we would like to hear from you.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Front-End Developer, Sales Development Representative and more... - Geofli
"What If We Could Personalize The Website Based On Location?"
- Montana Career Opportunities - Civil Engineer - Project Manager, Group/Project Manager - Civil Engineer, Survey Technician/Drafter and more... - Territorial-Landworks, Inc.
We are always looking for qualified professionals to join our team! At TLI, you become an important part of our business at all levels. Our management wants you to be involved and successful.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Controller, Senior Engineer with DevOps Emphasis,and more... - Pulsara
At Pulsara you'll find a diverse team of incredibly passionate, talented, creative individuals whose aim is to build a product that ultimately improves patient outcomes for time sensitive emergencies.
- Happy #406 Day From Gov. Steve Bullock
It's no secret that Montana is the best state in the nation to live, work, and play. Share this post with why you're celebrating Montana today - I bet we can find 406 reasons!
- The Last Best Box - A Taste of Life Under the Big Sky Brought to You Each Month
We search Montana for the best products made by local artists, artisans, and businesses.
- Filmmakers see bright future for movies shot in Montana
Film director Gordon Milcham says it can be a lot easier to shoot movies in Montana than in Los Angeles .
- Where Does Montana Fit in the High Wage Jobs Puzzle?
"Yet, in spite of these affordability challenges, Montanans still want to live in the state, which speaks to Montana's quality of life," Ward said.
- New app from Bozeman, Montana based Pulsara saves time and lives in Northern Kentucky
Pulsara has reduced the time from "first medical contact" to treatment by 30 percent in Northern Kentucky, according to St. Elizabeth Healthcare.
- Butte comes up with plan to sell former Northwestern Energy building
"To insure we're getting it, let's not have to do it twice, let's not have to do it three times, market it this way, let's make sure we do it right and we do it once and get someone who is capable of taking on that structure."
- Top 10 private industries in Cascade County and what they pay
What's making money in and around Great Falls?
Come Home Idaho
- How The Most Successful People Start And End Their Workdays
The way you kick off your day and the way you wind it down can have a huge impact on how productive you are during the hours in between
- 6 Must-Haves for Your Data Science Resume
Come Home Oregon
- Idaho Career Opportunities - Partner Implementation Lead, Mobile Developer, Senior Product Design Lead, Product Marketer and more... - TSheets
If you join the TSheets team, you buy into our BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) to become the #1 employee rated time tracker on the planet. You don't have to be hairy or audacious to buy in, but it might help....
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
- Top 10 states Oregon transplants come from
Oregon had the 3rd highest rate of people migrating (from another state) between July 2015 and July 2016.
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- The End of Business Intelligence
Instead of providing more dashboards and charts, Outlier monitors your business data and notifies you when unexpected changes occur.
Business Plan Forums
- Next Century Cities Releases Policy Agenda for Strategies to Expand Broadband Access
From small cities like Ammon, Idaho, and Sandy, Ore., to large metro areas like San Francisco and Montgomery County in Maryland, local governments have found that they can improve Internet access in apartment buildings, low-income neighborhoods, or even the entire community with a variety of new tools ranging from public investment to enacting truly pro-competition policies.
City Club Missoula
- Montana University Students to Compete in Statewide Business Startup Competition at University of Montana 4/13 - All are invited to attend the finals.
The annual John Ruffatto Business Startup Challenge, hosted by University of Montana's School of Business Administration and UM's Blackstone LaunchPad, received 29 applications from student teams across the state to compete for more than $50,000 in prize money.
- City Club Missoula Presents: The Enigma Of Growth In Missoula - 4/10 - Missoula, Montana
Balancing Quality of Life, Economic Development, and Affordable Housing within a Mountain Valley
- A State Employees' Guide to Governors' Workforce Goals
From promises of pay raises to warnings of cutbacks, State of the State speeches offer a peek into their priorities for the year.
- Secretary Zinke has a new image for the Bureau of Land Management Web site. - Solar panels power Kentucky Coal Museum
It speaks for itself
- NaturEner's tax protest leads to chaos in Toole County, Sunburst schools
The company says it is acting like anyone protesting their taxes, Toole County Commissioner Deb Brandon says "It's like putting lipstick on a pig."
- Idaho Virtual Reality Council Newsletter
This week we also hear from a Boise company that is applying VR to their business and seeing tremendous impact.
- One Treasure Valley (Idaho) tech company reimburses employees $1,500 for vacations. Does yours?
Vacationing employees aren't allowed to contact TSheets or check work email while they are away. And while most vacation expenses, including travel, hotels, events, food and drinks are covered by the policy, some activities -- such as gambling -- are not.
- Wells Fargo Told to Rehire Whistle-Blower, Pay $5.4 Million - Missoula, Montana City Council orders divestment of funds from Wells Fargo
The scandal triggered investigations and congressional hearings, prompting the lender to shake up leadership, deny bonuses to executives, and fire some senior managers in the consumer business.
- Facebook's Midwest Move Bursts Tech's Bicoastal Bubble
The tech industry's coastal myopia creates multiple problems.
- The City of Missoula agrees to help fund workforce study with the Missoula Economic Partnership
"As we begin to march down the path of understanding our housing needs in the community, I think workforce development, economic development and housing stock go hand in hand." Missoula Mayor John Engen
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- FIRST CLASS: New school infuses Wyoming workforce with tech-trained employees
"Our number one mission is to put these students back into the Wyoming workforce," Trowbridge said. "Governor Matt Mead has spoken extensively about bringing the technology industry to Wyoming, and we're playing our part."
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Study finds gap between data-science jobs, education
"The time-honored practice of treating degrees as proxies for skill sets doesn't work with data science and analytics,"
- It's Time to Rethink How We Are Educating Our Children - Darby Leads the Way in Montana
The school's name is Ad Astra, meaning 'to the stars', and seems to be based around Musk's belief that schools should "teach to the problem, not to the tools."
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- The MAPS Media Institute Partners with Salish Kootenai College for 8 week afterschool film class
Enrollment is rolling, visit http://mapsmediainstitute.com/maps_skc.html for class information and to fill out an application!
Funding and Building your Business
- Trip to Italy awaits for interested Great Falls, Montana community members, students
Great Falls College MSU is planning an opportunity for students and community members to visit Florence, Verona, Venice and Lake Garda on a 10-day trip.
- 4 Behavioral Interview Questions That Reveal What a Job Candidate Is Really Like
Why you should mix in at least a few questions designed to elicit facts rather than opinions.
- 5 Steps to Recruit Tech Talent to Your City
Improving communications to job-seekers and creating a more tech-friendly city environment can go a long way toward appealing to the best of the IT world.
- Learning about social entrepreneurship beyond the classroom
"One of the largest criticisms of capitalism is that corporations are not acting responsibility, so social entrepreneurship offers a way to bridge the gap between nonprofits and corporations. It's influencing how corporations are functioning, too."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Strategic Goals Help South Bend, Ind., Achieve Accountability
The city has set publicly available, time-bound, and measurable goals to improve performance.
- Health portal offers new resource for Montana workers
"Although, Montana's occupational injury and illness rates slowly but steadily continue to improve, we still have plenty of work ahead to keep the workforce safe."
HACKING AND VIRUS ALERTS
- Healthier gut bacteria and weight loss achieved through magnetic brain stimulation
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation has shown promise in recent years for a variety of applications, from boosting memory function to treating migraines.
- How Hackers Hijacked a Bank's Entire Online Operation
One weekend afternoon, they rerouted all of the bank's online customers to perfectly reconstructed fakes of the bank's properties, where the marks obediently handed over their account information.
- These new electric planes could be the planes of the future
The company Zunum Aero is currently developing an electric airplane for regional commercial flights.
- The unexpected ways our lives will change when cars drive themselves
"Something will happen, and probably something big."
- B2B Networking Luncheon - John Hill CEO, Bozeman Health - 4/24, Bozeman, Montana
- The First Ever Missoula Old Time Social - 4/20-22
- 2017 Montana Housing Partnership Conference With Montana NAHRO, 5/8-10, Great Falls, MT
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page