|MATR Newsletter - Tue Nov 29, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Business Law & Beyond: Legal Experts On Growing, Financing & Protecting Businesses In Montana, 12/5, Bozeman - 12/6, Missoula - Join nine of Dorsey's attorneys for our annual seminar covering legal issues facing Montana businesses. Presented in Bozeman 12/5 and Missoula 12/6, take this opportunity to converse with our panel of attorneys. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Gov. Steve Bullock
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
- Gov. Bullock confident as second term, Legislature set to begin
"Certainly, there are some folks that come to Helena and want to make it more about wins and losses in Helena than what we're doing around the state, but by and large I think our legislators know that, especially in a 90-day period, we've got a lot of work to do and we ought to be focusing on getting that work done," he said.
Montana Economic Developers Association
- Complete Report on the Contribution of Health Care on Flathead County Now Available
The study also found the health care sector directly employs 6,300 workers in Flathead County -- the highest number of workers employed of any sector, accounting for 16 percent of the county's employment in 2015. It also reports that since 1990 employment in the county's health care sector has grown 180 percent in number of jobs, nearly 50 percent more than the next-highest industry.
Big Sky Code Academy
- MEDA Day In The Rotunda, 01/17, Helena
Please join the Montana Economic Developers Association as we showcase to Legislators the impact of key economic development programs, an interactive project map, and a slideshow of success stories.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Rapid growth brings a Montanan home as Megan Jung joins as Program Director for Montana Code Girls to lead the growth and expansion of Big Sky Code Academy
Big Sky Code Academy creates jobs to bring Montanan's back home.
Great Falls Development Authority
- A Diamond is Forever. What About Your Advertising Claim?
The risks of not updating advertising claims become even greater if a company advertises that its product is better than all other competitive products in the market, thereby dramatically expanding the range of products that should be monitored to determine if the ad claim is still true.
- EEOC Updates Its National Origin Discrimination Guidance
As the American workforce becomes increasingly diverse, the new guidance encourages employers to ensure that their workplaces remain free from national origin discrimination.
Energy and Climate Change
- GFDA Top 17 for this week
This is the 279th edition of our almost weekly Top 10. If you find these interesting, please forward to friends and colleagues.
Come Home Montana
- Solar-Panel Roads to Be Built on Four Continents Next Year
After nearly five years of research and laboratory tests, they're constructing 100 outdoor test sites and plan to commercialize the technology in early 2018.
- "Starving" bacteria to double energy extraction from sewage
"We're not going to solve climate change with our process, but every bit helps."
- Today's TED Talk - We need nuclear power to solve climate change
We have the potential to make nuclear safer and cheaper than it's been in the past, Lassiter says. Now we have to make the choice to pursue it.
- Wind advocates challenge fee against Montana green energy
The fee could hamper the development of the Clearwater Wind farm near Forsyth. The project is large enough to power 300,000 homes.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - Libby Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism- Libby MT
Applicant should be a proven team leader who has outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including problem-solving; the ability to develop meaningful, collaborative relationships with diverse cross-section of business and community leaders, elected officials and other stakeholders; and is able to work in a fast-pace environment.
- Montana Career Opportunities - "Jumpstart Your Business" Training Director, Montana Women's Business Center Training Manager - Prospera
We are seeking to hire for two part-time positions at the Montana Women's Business Center at Prospera starting after the New Year!
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- 7th Floor Studio in Downtown Missoula Sells Very Quickly for $368,000
"Locally, our downtown is pretty hip and people want to be here," said McCarthy. "They like what's happening with the activity and diversity. There's definitely a local demand, just as there's a global demand."
- Who owns Montana? Top 10 landowners
Who do you think is on this list?
Come Home Idaho
- MSU Leadership Institute - Sir Ken Robinson, Internationally Acclaimed Expert On Creativity, To Speak Feb. 8 At MSU
Known for his challenge of traditional education, Robinson has built a global audience via his TED talks, which have been seen by an estimated 300 million people in more than 150 countries, making him the most-viewed TED presenter in the history of the organization.
- Idaho Career Opportunity - GIS Manager - Bannock County
Plans, directs and m anages the department responsible for providing GIS products and services, including the development and maintenance of GIS programs, applications, tools, and databases
- The U.N. Sent 3 Foreign Women To The U.S. To Assess Gender Equality. They Were Horrified.
The human rights experts concluded that the country falls far behind most others.
- This Maryland program could revolutionize homeownership for student loan borrowers
This week, the state rolled out Maryland SmartBuy, a $10 million program that lets people with education loans purchase a home and wipe out college debt at the same time.
- Senator Tester Sponsors Bill to Clean Up Washington
Senator Pushes to Permanently Ban Former Members of Congress from Lobbying
- The San Francisco Bay Area Voted for a Sustainable, Inclusive Future
We can't simply rely on the federal government to solve the San Francisco Bay Area's challenges. Time and time again, we have turned to local do-it-yourself solutions. This year, voters rolled up their sleeves and took matters into their own hands.
- Is It Time To Rethink the Traditional Fixed-Rate Mortgage?
If you lower people's mortgage payments, they're going to be more likely to make those payments."
- The New Bubble? - Record number of car buyers 'upside down' on trade-ins
If we see those rates go up a bit, some of these people won't be able to afford their cars."
- AT&T to launch new DirecTV Now service Nov. 30
To access DirecTV Now, you will need to use your home broadband or mobile wireless service.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Women Will Help Fill the Manufacturing Skills Gap
"The younger generations have little awareness of the career opportunities available in modern manufacturing and often their parents, if they have any perception, have one that is very outdated."
- Will we ever be able to retire? Boomers and Gen X-ers are worried.
51 percent of American workers surveyed are concerned that they will not be able to retire when they want.
Montana Education Excellence
- The essential components of STEM education
The inventory defines the 14 components, offers details, and provides a rubric for schools to rate their progress.
- 'Tell me what's awesome about your kid.' A top Idaho teacher taps the power of parents
Work to make education relevant to the students. And if you are a parent, have the audacity to ask the school what can be done to make their child's education better.
- K-12 data is failing students-here's what education could look like
A new report offers insight and 7 steps policymakers can take to better leverage data in schools.
Funding and Building your Business
- UM Program - Master of Public Administration - Moves Closer to Professional Accreditation
UM's Master of Public Administration program is well established and recently celebrated its 40th anniversary. Coursework is in-person, online or a combination of both. It's specialization in nonprofit administration recently was ranked 10th in the nation.
- Twenty things we did right in our first year as Airbnb hosts
To earn strong reviews from guests and create a consistent money-maker, here are some tips to separate your Airbnb listing from the pack.
- How To Lead Effectively In This Age Of Relationships
It's the opposite of self-serving, domineering leadership, and makes those in charge think harder about how to respect, value and motivate people reporting to them.
- Why tech startups need intellectual-property plans
Failure to do so could push a startup into an unwanted lawsuit, force the company to rebrand itself, or both. Startups can ill afford this kind of hassle and expense.
- The New Workplace Is Agile, and Nonstop. Can You Keep Up?
Whether you like it or not, your boss may want you to start acting more like a programmer. Fail Fast - Fail Often.
- What Is Whitespace and Why Does It Matter? 8 Websites to Inspire Your Web Design
In fact, when it comes to web design, it's a best practice to give your content a little breathing room.
- User Experience, Data Drive Web Features in Denver
CIO Scott Cardenas relies on analytics to understand what people are using and where they are going on Denver's website.
- Cities Are Bracing for the Future by Getting Smart
Will cities be able to secure a good quality of life for their residents while conserving resources responsibly?
- Cities Can't Afford To Be 'Data Poor'
"We need data scientists, [...] but we also need a diversity of voices to make sure that algorithms actually reflect what we want to reflect, as opposed to actually amplifying our existing biases."
- National Disability Rights Network and the Department of Veterans Affairs Sign Agreement to Enhance Services to Veterans
NDRN is the non-profit membership organization for the nationwide Protection and Advocacy Systems and Client Assistance Programs (P&A/CAP). Collectively, the network is the largest provider of legally-based advocacy services to people with disabilities.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- New drone footage shows progress of Apple's 'spaceship' campus
Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company will move into their new $5 billion home in early 2017.
- Netflix's '3%' Turns the Google Job Interview into a Dystopian Nightmare
...it seems bizarre and distant, but as the show unwinds and reveals its mysteries, audiences will come to realize that we're already part of The Process.
- Singularity University's Brad Templeton on the future of "robocars"
What's happening in neural networks right now is really amazing, and barriers are falling down that really nobody was ready for, so amazing stuff.
- Car Insurance Pricing Is Broken, But Your Phone Could Fix It
UBI is improving society by increasing the overall fairness of insurance pricing, reducing reliance on crude demographics, protecting everyone from fraud, and even saving lives.
- Governor's Arts Awards Celebration, 12/2, Helena, Montana
- The Wheeler Center - Politics & Pizza, 11/30, Bozeman
- Western Lands And Peoples Lecture Series, 12/5, Bozeman
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page