|MATR Newsletter - Fri Nov 4, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Systems biology will revolutionize the practice of healthcare in the coming decades. Today, medicine is largely reactive. It waits until a person is sick and then treats a disease, with varying levels of success. http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Missoula native Dr. Leroy Hood's "Determined Optimism" and P4 Medicine is going to revolutionize healthcare beyond your wildest imagination - http://www.Arivale.com -- http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Economic Developers Association
- MEDA Online News for November 2016
To start your no doubt hectic month of November, catch up on the MEDA news and peek at the MEDA November Calendar.
Arrow Solutions Group
- The Results Are In: Print Wins by a Landslide
Custom holiday cards are the perfect way to deliver a personal message to your clients and friends throughout the holiday season.
- This Old-School Marketing Technique Can Triple Your Responses
When done right, the return on investment is surprising, say founders who have come to rely on it as a powerful tool in their marketing arsenal.
Energy and Climate Change
- TecNet Billings Networking Event, 12/8
We invite you to join us and your fellow information technology professionals for some great conversation, connections, IT war stories, and complimentary local food and beverages.
Come Home Montana
- Energy-as-a-Service: Holistic Energy Management To Serve The Largest Energy Users, 11/9, Online
EaaS offers a way of simplifying the management and use of energy for the largest energy users in the commercial, industrial and institutional segments.
- Elon Musk's Clean Energy Vision Includes a Strong Role for Utilities
Recent comments show the Tesla CEO is not pursuing decentralization at all costs.
- SolarCity Has a Plan to Unlock Tomorrow's Electric Grid
"The grid -- although...probably the most complex machine in the world -- can be designed, we think, even better."
- Clean Drinking Water Produced by New Solar Panels
The panels use a special material to absorb air-borne moisture that is then cleaned using the electricity generated by the solar power.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Systems Administrator, .Net Angular Developer, .Net C# Developer, TMS Logistics Manager and many more - Arrow Solutions Group
At Arrow Solutions Group we're your liaison to the employer and the job you want. Search our Job Postings and find a technology job that fits you.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Director of Operations, Director of International Marketing & Business Development, Sales Engineer and more... - Resodyn Corporation
Resodyn Corporation is a technology development company dedicated to the discovery and commercialization of novel technologies that help to improve the world in which we live.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Web UI Developer/Designer, System Support Specialist, Marketing Coordinator, Application Developer and more... - Kampgrounds of America
The time-honored camping tradition becomes even more fun at KOA.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Executive Director - AERO
AERO has begun the process of searching for a new Executive Director to continue the growth and development we achieved together over the past few years, and to support and invigorate the vision that has made AERO a beloved resource to Montanans for over 40 years.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Arts Education Director - The Montana Arts Council
The vision statement for the agency: Montana will be known far and wide as "The Land of Creativity," where the arts are essential to the creativity, imagination and entrepreneurship that make Big Sky Country the very best place on earth to live, learn, work and play.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Business Advisor/Business Development Center, Executive Administrative Assistant - Big Sky Economic Development
Together, the organization's mission is to sustain and grow Yellowstone County's vibrant economy and outstanding quality of life, by providing leadership and resources for business creation, expansion, retention, new business recruitment and community development.
- 10 Ways To Be a Leader People Choose to Follow
Don't worry about being a leader. Worry about being a person worthy of being followed.
- Women Leaders Get Results: The Data
The two competencies where men and women had the least difference were emotional self-control and positive outlook. The largest difference was for self-awareness.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Butte, Montana potentially affected as REC Silicon lays off 70 Moses Lake employees
An official at the company's headquarters in Norway blamed the loss of the Moses Lake jobs on a global trade war with China, resulting in a tariff China has placed on solar-grade polysilicon.
- Montana's S&K Aerospace Awarded $4.2 Billion U.S. Air Force PROS V Contract
The full range of S&Ks technical support for FMS customers includes supply and procurement service, warehousing, fleet management, maintenance planning, maintenance service, technical and engineering services, obsolescence management, air vehicle integrity, training, and financial/ program management support.
- Montana Chamber of Commerce announces 10-year plan
The central objectives include training Montana's workforce, improving the business climate, developing infrastructure, fostering entrepreneurial and startup growth and encouraging outside investment.
- Whitefish, Montana couple starts selling revolutionary new flytrap
"I've switched from being a big game hunter to a big bug hunter."
- Today's TED Talk - 4 ways to build a human company in the age of machines
In the face of artificial intelligence and machine learning, we need a new radical humanism, says Tim Leberecht.
Come Home Idaho
- The Case for Phased Retirement
Workers are demanding it, and firms have good cause to accommodate the idea that work does not one day simply stop.
- Gigster's crafty plan to give freelance developers equity
Today it's launching an innovative way to retain its best contractors and align incentives so they work harder for their clients.
- Daniel Goleman - Better Together: Clusters of Emotional Intelligence Competencies
Does a leader need to be skilled at each of the twelve emotional intelligence competencies in order to perform well?
- Be professional when you are about to leave a job
I've always worked hard and done my job well, but I need to move on to a better-paying position I've found. Do you have any advice on how to handle this situation?
- Know why you need to develop self-awareness
Out of all the traits most likely to help you succeed in your career, self-awareness ranks high on the list among leaders.
Come Home Oregon
- Idaho Career Opportunity - Executive Director of Economic Development - University of Idaho
The Executive Director for Economic Development (EDED) leads and coordinates the university's state-wide economic development activities through proactive engagement with regional business, communities and economic development organizations.
City Club Missoula
- Amazon says it will hire 1,000 for Hillsboro distribution center
The Seattle-based company said it will hire a mix of holiday and long-term jobs for the Hillsboro facility, likely including "hundreds" of long-term jobs.
- City Club Missoula Presents: America's Military Veterans: The Progress We've Made and Challenges We Face , 11/14, Missoula
America's Military Veterans: The Progress We've Made and Challenges we Face
- Will 'Government' Become a Verb?
You Google. You Uber. Are you ready to "gov?" Actor (and tech investor) Ashton Kutcher thinks so and it was a theme at the Reverb conference in Denver.
- Billings prepares for largest public works upgrade in state history
Louis Engels gets this question a lot: Just what are ratepayers getting for the $65 million or so they're set to spend on a new wastewater treatment plant?
- Boise area 1st in nation for construction jobs growth
With 24 percent job growth between September 2015 and September 2016, Boise's construction industry grew more than any other metro area in the country.
- 'Idaho the Movie 2' debuts Nov. 15 with unique aerials of wild places
A sequel was a natural idea ... but how to make it better?
Oregon Economic Development
- Lattice Semiconductor sells to little-known firm with ties to China for $1.3 Billion
That's well below Canyon Bridge's offer price, though, reflecting skepticism about whether the unknown investment firm will be able to complete the deal.
- Report on questionable tax credits names cross-section of Oregon companies
Some of the biggest names in Oregon's renewable energy and forest products industries landed on a list of suspicious state giveaways during an investigative audit of Oregon's Business Energy Tax Credit Program.
- Amazon plans to build 2,000 drive through grocery stores across the country.
If the company is successful in pulling off their plan, it would become the country's fourth largest grocery chain behind Walmart, Kroger and Albertsons.
- Governor Matthew H. Mead's Business Forum "Innovation & Resilience For The Future", 11/9-11, Cheyenne, Wyoming
National figures provide economic insights, business strategies Nov. 9-11 in Cheyenne
Montana Education Excellence
- The 10-day summer STEM program improving science instruction
Wyoming educators focused on STEM integration during immersive summer workshops
Funding and Building your Business
- 2-year colleges in Eastern Montana diversify class offerings to compete
Two-year colleges in Eastern Montana are seeing enrollment stabilize this year, with increased focus on hallmark programs and dual enrollment.
- UM Alumni Win Emmy Award for Climbing Documentary "Valley Uprising"
UM alumni Greg Twigg, Sari Jones, Barry Thompson, Eric Bucy and Wesley Meeks won for Outstanding Graphic Design and Art Direction in the documentary film "Valley Uprising."
- UM's MonTECH to Open Center in Billings
MonTECH, housed in UM's Rural Institute for Inclusive Communities, provides support and services that improve the quality of life for Montanans with disabilities through offering assistive technology devices and demonstrations in a free equipment loan program.
- 5 Things Entrepreneurs Should Never Say to Journalists
Want to get better at the journalism game?
- How to know if your idea can be its own company
"Frankly, I didn't start by thinking 'I'm an entrepreneur and this is what I need to be doing now.'"
- Staples jumps on hot employer trend: paying student loans
Top-performing, full-time Staples employees can now get $100 a month toward their student loan payments.
- Why the best leaders struggle to fire people
It's hard to fire a chronic under-performer.
- The Easiest Way to Miss $1 Million in Revenue
There's a million dollars under your shoe," my father used to tell me. "You just have to find it."
- New Biotech Company Inimmune Formed at University of Montana's MonTEC Business Incubator
"As Montana's economy grows and diversifies, getting research breakthroughs to market quickly propels new innovations, new businesses and more technical, high-paying jobs for Montana," Governor Bullock said.
- How Government Can Overcome the 'Bad Story' Fear and Open Up Its Data
“It’s not always about the big stuff."
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Mike Kavanaugh Joins McLaughlin Research Institute as new director
"Mike Kavanaugh's scientific expertise, energy and desire will make for a powerful leader of this long-storied Montana science institution," research scientist Leroy Hood, a longtime member of McLaughlin's Scientific Advisory Committee, said in a news release.
- Missoula native Dr. Leroy Hood's "Determined Optimism" and P4 Medicine is going to revolutionize healthcare beyond your wildest imagination - Arivale.com
The revolution will emerge from the convergence of systems biology and the digital revolution's ability to create consumer devices, generate and analyze "big data" sets and deploy this information through business and social networks.
- Quadsaw drill attachment cuts perfect square holes in walls
One clever tool can turn a fiddly, annoying job into a breeze - and the Quadsaw is such a solution for cutting square or rectangular holes in plaster walls.
- Google will soon let app developers offer incentivized pricing
Google just changed its policy for app subscriptions and Android developers now have more flexibility than their iOS counterparts.
- Germany unveils world's first zero-emissions hydrogen-powered passenger train
Although the hydrail trains are reportedly more expensive than existing diesel models, officials in other parts of Germany, as well as in the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway, are interested in bringing the clean running trains to their regular rail services as well.
- It's Time to Think About Living in Parking Garages Because Autonomous Cars are Coming Quickly
If the current plans are approved, the tower will include a quirky twist: four levels of above-grade parking, designed to someday take on new life as apartments and offices.
- MSU and City of Bozeman to address traffic growth
WTI will implement a transportation demand management initiative to address Bozeman's significant growth in population and subsequent increase in the number of vehicles on the road and resulting traffic.
- Berkeley's Plan to Revolutionize Biking
The plan includes a cycletrack network that would look right at home in Denmark.
- Cross-country trips in electric cars are about to get easier
Drivers on 48 U.S. interstates will be able to expect charging stations every 50 miles or so.
- 2016 Women's Leadership Mentoring Series Featuring Kim Ormbsy Of Natural Baby Company And GroVi, 11/17, Bozeman, Montana
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page