|MATR Newsletter - Fri Oct 21, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"Live as if you would die tomorrow, learn as if you would live forever" Mahatma Gandhi
Missoula-based Clearas Water Recovery Closes $4MM Series B Funding Round http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Montana Governor's Office of Economic Development
Montana Code Girls
- Welcome to the Montana Business Navigator
Whether your business is just an idea, a startup, or an established business we have gathered the tools to help you succeed.
Energy and Climate Change
- Women in computing to decline to 22% by 2025, study warns
New research warns that the number of women in the computing workforce will decline to 22% from 24% by 2025 if nothing is done to encourage more of them to study computer science.
Come Home Montana
- Clean coal: Firm claims world's first commercially viable, zero-carbon power plant is 'game changer'
A revolutionary technique to capture carbon emissions from coal-fired power stations has been shown to work on a commercially viable basis for the first time, the company behind it has claimed.
- Solar-powered Swedish homes produce at least as much energy as they consume
Electricity bills are a thing of the past at Power to the People, a modern zero-energy housing complex in Upplands Väsby, Sweden.
- $50-$300K vouchers for clean energy small to medium size business - Apply by Nov. 10
Are you a small to medium size businesses (500 or less employees) developing clean energy technology?
- Bill Nye the Science Guy backs revolutionary solar company
One of the coolest guys in science, Bill Nye is turning his attention to new solar technology that could cut the cost of panels by 60 percent.
- Scientists just transmitted data across a national electricity grid for the first time
Technology like this could help people lower their energy bills, cut peaks in energy use that strain the grid, and reduce or even eliminate the need for dirty generators that are often employed to supply extra energy during peak times.
- Renewable Energy Is About to Get Supersized
Get ready for the supergrid.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunities - Office Assistant, Manufacturing Design Engineer - Headframe Spirits
Headframe Spirits is a growing company operating four distinct business units.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Applications Technical Analyst, GIS Design Drafter, Mobile Workforce Management Dispatcher and more - Northwestern Energy
For more than 80 years, NorthWestern has provided reliable, competitively priced electricity and natural gas service.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Montana State University alum Alex Crosby wins national entrepreneurship pitch competition
"Winning this competition is an honor and a testament to the ecosystem that has developed because of Les Craig and the Blackstone Launchpad at MSU," Crosby said. "These funds will help extend our runway and accelerate our fundraising progress."
- DECA prepares Bozeman High students for business and life
More than 300 teachers from all over the state are expected to gather in Bozeman on Thursday and Friday for the Montana Association of Career and Technical Educators conference, he said.
- Photos and links: Montana Economic Developers Association (MEDA) Fall Conference Summary
Thanks to everyone who participated in making the MEDA Fall Conference a great success.
- Missoula mapping tech firm onXmaps to build new three-story building, add scores of workers
The company, founded as Hunting GPS Maps, added nearly 30 new employees this year and plans to add nearly 60 more over the next two years, according to MRA. The company attributes the growth to the popularity of its IOS and Android apps.
- 10 Interesting Etsy shops from Missoula
You probably already know that Missoula is chock-full of creative artists, artisans, and crafters.
- Senator Tester Announces Keynotes for his 17th Small Business Opportunity Workshop on October 27 in Great Falls, Montana
Facebook Rep and COMMIT Foundation Director will Discuss How to Connect Veterans and Business
- Bozeman group celebrates women in business
"It's just been a way to celebrate and congratulate women's achievements in the business world," said Pat Simmons, a longtime Montana State University employee and BPW member for 38 years. "And it's also a wonderful place for networking."
- Missoula-based Clearas Water Recovery Closes $4MM Series B Funding Round
The Clearas technology is changing the wastewater treatment paradigm, offering a sustainable treatment solution with a significant economic advantage over chemical based options.
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
- Ever wonder what you're worth? Glassdoor wants to help
Glassdoor hopes to take the water cooler guesswork out of that question with Know Your Worth, a new site feature that launched in beta late Tuesday.
- Google's former HR boss says this is the key to a perfect resume
The more details you can provide, the better, because it proves that your skills live up to expectations.
- This resource can help farmers navigate data management
Some smart people and smart computers are outpacing the information and technology that most farmers use.Farmers need to catch up.
- How To Become A Cybersecurity Entrepreneur In A Crowded Market
What's behind this decrease in early-stage investments? There are several factors:
Canada Business & Economic Development
- Leave it to a Canadian ad campaign to deliver the most inspiring message of this U.S. election
Oh, Canada. You're making us blush.
Incubators and R&D
- Tester Launches #Montennial Tour To Engage Montana Millennials In Policy, 11/30, Webinar
"My haircut might scream 1950s, but I know that our country needs to make progress for the next generation and what better way to do that than to cultivate millennials who can lead the way," said Tester.
- Montana Labor Market Blog
How Many Young People Leave Montana?
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- Here's the $20 Billion Reason to Consider Joining a Startup Accelerator
Accelerator alums have been responsible for more than $5 billion in exits, venture capital jargon for acquisitions or going public. Those that are still operating privately are valued at a combined $80 billion.
- Shattering glass ceilings in North Dakota
"Your value doesn't decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth," Hollerman said. "Talk to yourself like you're talking to someone you love."
Regional Economic Development
- 3 Ways Georgia Is Using GIS Mapping to Chart its Path Forward
In Georgia, officials rely on GIS technology for everything from luring businesses to the state to major initiatives like NextGen 911.
- Announcing 5 Ingredients For Fostering A Thriving Startup Ecosystem'
While supporting thousands of community leaders over the past six years, UP Global has consistently found itself at the center of larger conversations about what makes entrepreneurial ecosystems thrive.
- The trap that causes states to give millions to corporations
"He said, 'Listen, you don't want to be the governor who lost Marriott to Virginia,' " Glendening recalled recently.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Sioux Falls ranks No. 2 on Forbes list for business, careers
Forbes praised Sioux Falls for its diversified economy, parks and special events as well as a "young, educated workforce." It noted the city's healthcare, financial services and retail jobs.
- University tool "My Career Shines" helps middle and high school as well as university students to develop a plan to pursue a career.
The system is powered by age-appropriate online tools that allow students to develop a personalized education plan that connects interests and skills to careers and jobs.
- Silicon Valley's New-Age AltSchool Unleashes Its Secrets
Since its founding in 2014, with backing from the likes of Mark Zuckerberg, Andreessen Horowitz, and eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, the San Francisco startup has opened eight of its new-age AltSchools in the Bay Area and New York City.
Montana Education Excellence
- The Biggest Crisis in Higher Ed Isn't Student Debt, It's Students Who Don't Graduate
Think about it: Tens of millions of people in the US are saddled with student debt and have no degree to help pay it off.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Tester, Juneau Give Montana a Voice in Education Policy
Senator, Superintendent Highlight Importance of Rural Perspective in Every Student Succeeds Act Rollout
- An invitation to engage in the University of Montana's strategic planning process
Why do students choose the University of Montana?
Funding and Building your Business
- Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation Gives $3.5M to Expand EdReady Statewide
Montana students, from elementary to adult learners, became the first in the nation to use this innovative tool on a statewide basis.
- MSU receives $4 million endowment from The Haynes Foundation to provide scholarships to undergraduate students who have graduated from a Montana high school
The establishment of the endowment demonstrates the more than 50-year commitment of The Haynes Foundation to promoting higher education in the state of Montana and helping to prepare MSU students for a lifetime of success, according to the foundation.
- Missoula's Goodworks Ventures impact investment fund supports, nurtures and empowers visionary people and organizations that are creating the world we want to live in.
Our portfolio spans a diverse selection of companies, largely Montana based, including everything from software to lighting to agriculture.
- A Roadmap for Successful Grants Management System Implementation in the Public Sector
All-to-often, agencies are manually tracking these complex grant distributions with Excel spreadsheets resulting in incomplete data.
- Everything-as-a-Service and its Impact on the Future of Government
In Ohio, the implementation of a private cloud infrastructure led to the migration of nearly 5,000 servers, which is expected to save the state more than $100 million.
- The Need for Governing Intelligence
A focus on making data accessible across the enterprise is the basis for organizational wisdom.
- The Customer-Experience Prescription for Government
America's most successful companies have learned a lot about keeping their customers happy. The public sector can join that revolution.
- Local Nonprofits to Receive $10,000 from University of Montana Students
A University of Montana philanthropy class will grant a total of $10,000 to local nonprofits, with a minimum award of $2,000 and a maximum award of $7,000. Eligible nonprofits are welcome to apply by noon Friday, Nov. 4.
- Equity Schools - working nationally to solve capital and operational funding problems for schools (public, private, and charter), other tax exempt organizations, public entities, and for-profit businesses.
Anything is possible. Any problem can be solved ... usually in several different ways. Most solutions require optimism, hard work, and collaboration ... by everyone involved. The results are worth it.
- The important things in life aren't things
"Don't spend so much time making a living that you forget to make a life."
- Tesla announces fully self-driving cars
CEO Elon Musk announced Wednesday that the automaker's Model S, X and forthcoming Model 3 sedan will start being outfitted with "the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."
- 3 Concerns Automakers Have With California's Autonomous Vehicle Regulations
"The goal is to get this type of life-saving technology on the streets as soon it can be," said DMV Chief Counsel Brian Soublet. "But also, to make sure that it is done in a safe manner."
- Watch a fully autonomous Tesla drive through the city and find a parking spot
The self-driving software is not finished and has yet to be approved by regulators, but the four-minute clip is nonetheless impressive, showing a Tesla leaving a garage, driving across town, and finding its own parking spot -- all autonomously.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page