|MATR Newsletter - Fri Sep 23, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"If your plan is for 1 year, plant rice. If your plan is for 10 years, plant trees. If your plan is for 100 years, educate children." Confucius
Spika Design & Manufacturing Hosts National Manufacturing Day, 9/28-29, Lewistown, Montana http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
Kalispell Chamber of Commerce
Montana Data Focused Business Cluster
- Flathead manufacturers get ready to show off regional opportunities
Chamber members hope they can increase awareness of career possibilities.
Spika Welding & Mfg Inc
- 6 Illusions Execs Have About Big Data
Big data has become a buzzword so prevalent that it's practically meaningless.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Spika Design & Manufacturing Hosts National Manufacturing Day, 9/28-29, Lewistown, Montana
The event already has 500 students from Central Montana scheduled for tours, which is well over double the number of students that participated last year.
Energy and Climate Change
- Great Falls Economy Grows 48% Faster than U.S.
The Great Falls metro economy grew by $156 million, making us a $3.455 billion annual economy. Our growth rate ranked 62nd out of the 382 U.S. metro areas, putting us in the top 17%.
- Brett Doney: Great Falls metro economy growing rapidly
Great Falls GDP grew by 3.7 percent last year while the nation as a whole grew by 2.5 percent.
Come Home Montana
- Meet SolPad, an Integrated Solar-Plus-Storage Solution Fresh Out of Stealth Mode
Could this be the comprehensive solar-plus package the industry has been looking for?
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunity - CFO/Director of Finance & Administration - The Native American Development Corporation
NADC currently serves 6 states with an annual budget of approximately $5 million.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Web Front End Developer - Montana State University - Bozeman
Migrate and build new websites, provide support to MSU community in the CMS.
- Kalispell native Kendra Kuhl, Cofounder of Opus 12, recognized by MIT Technology Review as one of its "35 Innovators Under 35."
Kalispell native Kendra Kuhl recognized as top innovator in research to convert carbon dioxide into useful products
Montana Economic Development
- SBA Offers Disaster Assistance to Montana Small Businesses Economically Impacted by the Closure of the Yellowstone River
"SBA is strongly committed to providing the most effective and customer-focused response possible to assist Montana's small businesses with federal disaster loans."
- Billings, Montana based Montana Waterworks LLC ordered to pay $350K for lying about Indian preference
"Businesses attempting to fleece the system and claim benefits for which they should not receive will not be tolerated," said U.S. Attorney Michael Cotter in his sentencing memorandum.
- Limited space still available for 'Compete Smart' manufacturing conference Oct. 5-7
The conference will feature distinguished speakers and local plant tours as well as direct access to business experts, seasoned entrepreneurs, peers and allies.
- Join Today! - Business for Montana's Outdoors - Preserving Our Outdoor Assets For Tomorrow's Entrepreneurs
Protected public lands play a role in attracting entrepreneurs and talent to Montana communities, with high-wage service industries leading Montana's job growth and diversifying the state's economy.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Butte's Copper King Hotel To Reopen With Help Of New Markets Tax Credits
"The redevelopment of the Copper King Inn by Matt and Ben Nistler and Rex Leipheimer is great news and much appreciated," said Pamela Haxby-Cote, Executive Director of the Butte Local Development Corporation.
- Today's TED Talk - Why you should know how much your coworkers get paid
In this talk, Burkus questions our cultural assumptions around keeping salaries secret and makes a compelling case for why sharing them could benefit employees, organizations and society.
Come Home Idaho
- Award-Winning Photographer, Pam Voth To Lead First Ever "Barnyard Safari" In Western Montana, 9/30-10/2, Missoula
Voth coined the term "Barnyard Safari" to describe the Adult Education weekend-long class she developed to help students learn and practice the skills needed to photograph animals in an environment that guarantees animals will be available models, but also offers some of the same challenges photographers might encounter when heading out into the field on their own to try to get wildlife photographs.
- Southern Idaho development group again seeks executive director
SIEDO was formed in 2001 to support and increase economic development efforts throughout southern Idaho.
- A Tough Row to Hoe: Economic Growth in Rural America
Those who choose to remain in rural counties are more likely to be 65 or older, and receiving Social Security disability checks, than people in metro areas.
- Use of Rural Broadband Linked to Greater Levels of Civic Engagement
This should have implications for how public broadband programs should focus their efforts.
Incubators and R&D
- Montana County Commissioners talk importance of MACO Conference
County Commissioners from around the state gather in Billings this week for the annual MACo Conference. We asked commissioners the significance of the 4-day event and the intended outcome.
- How 'tattoo therapy' might treat multiple sclerosis
"The ability to selectively inhibit one type of cell over others in the same environment may help doctors gain more control over autoimmune diseases."
Regional Economic Development
- Whistleblower retaliation at Wells Fargo
Former employees of Wells Fargo are coming forward to say that they reported unethical practices, sometimes to a bank-sponsored tip line, and were then fired.
- Center for Economic Development Newsletter - September 2016
Don't forget about our 17th Annual North State Economic Forecast Conference, which will be held on Thursday, January 19th, 2017.
- Montana businesses hungry for young skilled workers
The problem is Montana is facing a shortage of these skilled workers to replace an aging population that is ready to leave the workforce.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Wyoming lawmakers reject wind tax hike
no members of the public spoke in favor of wind tax increases, even though lobbyists who represent fossil fuel companies sat through the entire discussion, which ultimately lasted nearly six hours.
Missoula Children's Theatre
- Billings Gazette opinion: What ACT can teach Montana, Wyoming
This is one good step toward reducing the plethora of standardized tests that has been eating into instructional time in our classrooms.
Montana Education Excellence
- Beijing and Missoula youth work together in cross-cultural project! - The Missoula Children's Theatre (MCT) 10/8-9 in Missoula
The Missoula Children's Theatre (MCT) and the Beijing-based China National Theatre for Children (CNTC) continue their collaboration with a cross-cultural production in Missoula, Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9!
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- The Montana Early Learning Roadmap: A Community Framework
Thank you for your commitment to early childhood education and for joining our efforts to enhance and expand opportunities for all of Montana's children. It is the most important and exciting investment we can make.
- MSU Startup Of You Series: Make It - The 3D Printing Workshop, 9/27, Bozeman, Montana
The 3D Printing Workshop: Learn 3D printing using TinkerCad. This workshop will be taught by Matthew Griffin, MakerSpace Lab Manager
- Brit & Sarah - "Irreverent Strategery, Entreprgirls, Sock Puppets, And Faking Awesome", 10/12-13, Bozeman, Montana
Total BS Media is full of Brit and Sarah. While equally impressive elements on their own, when combined they form a highly volatile creative compound.
- Montana State Universtiy earns recognition on Forbes' 'America's Top Colleges' list
The Forbes rankings are based on several factors, including student satisfaction, post-graduate success, student debt levels and graduation rates, according to the publication.
Funding and Building your Business
- Gazette opinion: A bold step forward by MSU Billings and a new community challenge
This allied science building has been on the docket for so long that it's running the risk of fading into the background. It needs to be completed. That's where Billings comes in.
- Pursue Your Passion Autumn Kick-Off Event!, 9/29, Missoula, Montana
Have you ever had a great idea for a product or service that you'd like to pursue?
Connectivity & Communications
- How to master Facebook advertising and targeting
Facebook advertising is becoming very useful, especially when you explore its potential and all its targeting options.
- AT&T's AirGig project to test high-speed Wi-Fi delivery over power lines
It's called AirGig and it relies on power lines and millimeter wave technology to beam an internet signal pretty much anywhere there's electricity.
- Farmers Need to Demand Better Broadband
"I spent entire weekends without internet, because something held together with spit and chewing gum would break Friday night and no technicians would be around to poke at it or clean the ants out, which actually happened - multiple times."
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- How Digital is Your State?
More states received an A grade this year than ever before, and the effort states are putting into innovation, collaboration and making sure their investments are well aligned with the priorities of the people they serve has never been higher."
- Tear down the silos. - Why Data Sharing Should Be Government's Default.
In the end, the risks that come from not sharing data across a governmental enterprise greatly exceed the risks of finding ways to use the data to provide more efficient and effective services. The default setting should be the open one.
- 'Valley Uprising' Missoula effects team wins Emmy for work on climbing documentary
The Emmy is also a win for the University of Montana. Five of the team members, Twigg, Thompson, Meeks, Jones and Bucy, are graduates of the School of Media Arts. "It's a great representation for us," Twigg said.
- Financial Security Should Be the Next Human Right
And portable benefits and a universal basic income can ensure it becomes just that.
- 50 million sessions show why Uber is so popular
Consumer surplus is calculated by examining the difference between how much people are willing to pay for a service and how much they actually pay.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page