|MATR Newsletter - Fri Aug 12, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
Dance like no one is watching. Email like it will one day be read aloud in a deposition.
Great way to help increase air service in a community - Here is your opportunity to help bring better air service to Missoula International Airport http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html --- TechJunction Montana, 8/18, Bozeman, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =5905
Great Falls Development Authority
Early Edge Montana
- GFDA Top 12 8/10/2016
Welcomed Über to Great Falls at their launch.
Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things
- Vermont is First: The State Offers 10 hours of Universal, Free Preschool
"Now that we have made access universal, we need to ensure all Vermonters, regardless of income, are benefitting from the new law. To do this, I have challenged my Agencies to work hard to identify ways to ensure all Vermonters are utilizing this important law, especially those low-income Vermonters who too often fall through the cracks."
Energy and Climate Change
- Wireless tags make any object a smart device
MESH Tags enable users to assign tasks to household items, making conventional objects smart and connected.
- Our Inevitable Future: A Conversation With Kevin Kelly About VR, Digital Socialism, And His New Book
My bias is that the studios will spend a lot of money trying this, but it's the Buzzfeeds of the world that will come along and make something that will actually work.
Come Home Montana
- How California Created a New System for Determining the Costs of Grid Connection
Interconnecting to the grid is one of the key hurdles for renewable energy project development.
- Elon Musk doesn't just want to put a panel on your roof. He wants to replace the roof itself with one that generates electricity.
"You don't want to put panels on a roof you're going to replace," Musk said. "So what if we could offer you a roof that looks way better than a normal roof? A roof that last longer than a normal roof?"
- Roof-top solar power in Montana: Debate simmers over system size limits
NorthWestern Energy, the state's dominant electric utility, opposes allowing larger net-metered solar-power systems - unless changes are made in the payment system.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Are you ready to change your drive? Missoula's ATG
Does it seem like you spend as much time in your car trying to get to and from work as you do at home with family and friends? Need a break from all of the office politics - that take-no-prisoners rat race to the middle?
- Hellgate Venture Network - Marc Moss, Founder Of The Amazing "Tell Us Something", 8/18, Missoula
It's August. Which means we're excited to have Brent Campbell and WGM host our meeting at their offices and deck overlooking the Clark Fork (and the flotilla of tubers!)
Montana Economic Development
- Germany, the biggest economy in Europe, thinks it might have found the solution to energy storage in ViZn Energy Systems of Columbia Falls, Montana
If and when the German order is signed, ViZn will become the largest flow battery producer in the world.
- Economist: Medical, finance sectors boost Yellowstone County, despite ag, energy slowdown
Yellowstone County's economy will likely take a step back in 2016 compared to last year, and collapsing energy prices haven't yet hit bottom, a University of Montana economist said Tuesday in Billings.
- Montana employers more confident in 2016, but worry the impact of 'kids these days'
Is Montana running out of workers? Some Treasure State employers seem to think so.
- Economist: Missoula experiencing recent wage growth
Ravalli County actually experienced a higher wage growth, just over 8.5 percent, making it one of the fastest growing areas of the state in terms of the total dollars paid by employers to workers.
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- Gallatin County wages, industry growth under the microscope at economic talk
Montana's workforce shortages were again in the spotlight Tuesday at an economic forum in Bozeman.
- Missoula City Council moves to cut funding to Missoula Economic Partnership over communication frustrations
Earlier this year, MEP launched a new five-year plan that guides the organization to foster the creation of 3,000 new jobs in and around Missoula, and to facilitate $300 million in new capital investment.
City Club Missoula
- Register Now: Invitation to Attend Big Sky Broadband Workshop (Aug 31-Sept 1) in Missoula MT
Please join BroadbandUSA, National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), U.S. Department of Commerce for a Regional Broadband Workshop featuring keynote addresses by national broadband leaders.
Come Home South Dakota
- Video - City Club Missoula Hosts Governor Steve Bullock 7/11/16
The mission of City Club Missoula is to bring together people to inform and inspire citizens on issues vital to the Missoula area community through public forums that encourage the discussion of new ideas and the free exchange of thought.
- North and South Dakota Career Opportunities - Economic Development Representative DEU
This position requires the incumbent to have experience in grants management, developing economic development stategies for regions or communities and analyze socio-economic trends within regions or communities.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- DEA regularly mines Americans' travel records to seize millions in cash
"They count on this as part of the budget," said Louis Weiss, a former supervisor of the DEA group assigned to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. "Basically, you've got to feed the monster."
- Over Residents' Objections, North Dakota Lets Oil Companies Dump Radioactive Waste
"Having all the data coming from the (oil) industry, that's crazy," he said. Moran said it isn't clear the state has adequate monitoring or good radioactive screening protocols.
- Utah, New Mexico Vie For New Facebook Data Center
Utah apparently has offered up $240M in a local tax break and rebates to attract Facebook and its "Project Discus" data center.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Hero2Hired aims to get Utah veterans back into workforce
In the past year, the five Hero2Hired events throughout the state have resulted in well over 200 direct hires, he said, and many more conditional job offers likely were made by not tracked.
American Prairie Reserve
- Facebook Partnership Develops Software for Students to Curate Their Educations
A free learning software system that aims to transform the traditional student-teacher dynamic in public education.
- STEM vs STEAM; Give children a chance
There is growing awareness among America's educators and businesses that STEM needs to add arts to the equation (STEAM).
- Whirlpool Put Laundry Machines In Some Schools And Increased Attendance By 90%
For a ten-year-old who already has the odds stacked against them, having nothing clean to wear to school could be the deciding factor in whether or not they want to face their classmates that day.
- Escape to Big Sky Country. Arrive at the unexpected! Take Montana's last, best road trip to American Prairie Reserve.
Unlike our developed national parks, the Reserve has a truly rugged quality and a sense of uninterrupted nature. Discover the power of dark skies, quiet trails, and remote, unbroken land by staying at Buffalo Camp this fall.
MAPS : Media Arts in the Public Schools
- Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) just dropped 9 truths about the power of education.
Educators deserve a break. That's just as true for teachers as it is for Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator and star of "Hamilton."
- Why more STEM classes won't help solve the serious STEM achievement gap
This discrepancy must be addressed - not merely for the sake of the students left behind, but for the prosperity of our country and the health of our planet.
- The real crisis in higher education is about a lot more than debt
"We think policymakers need to shift their conversation to focus not just on sticker price but on the value an institution is providing the students they are supposed to serve."
Montana Education Excellence
- MAPS Year in Review - Instilling a lifelong passion for learning in Montana's future leaders
The most significant results were the continued growth in student skill sets and maturation as young adults.
Funding and Building your Business
- Another Record Year for University of Montana Foundation: Three-Year Fundraising Tops $150M, Including $51M for Scholarships
Gifts came from all sectors - individuals, foundations and corporations - and included cash, pledges, estate commitments and private grants. Donors supported a variety of areas, including scholarships, campus facilities, and faculty and student research.
Connectivity & Communications
- 5 Reasons Why Social Entrepreneurship Is The New Business Model
Social enterprise has taken off as a new formula for success, combining capitalism with a do-gooder mentality.
- Is equity crowdfunding right for your start-up?
If you're thinking about equity crowdfunding, you first need to keep in mind some of the SEC regulations limiting the manner and amount of funds you can raise:
- Burn the talent churn using Big Data
People are the most valuable asset of any organization.
- Google to secretly test wireless internet delivery in Silicon Valley cities where Google Fiber is delayed
If Google can start delivering super-fast internet through the air instead of via cables, it will circumvent obstacles thrown up by competitors, and stands to reap massive savings.
- Win for Telecom Giants as Court Puts Dagger in Municipal Broadband
A federal appeals court on Wednesday struck down the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) effort to expand municipal broadband.
- $1.2M grant to help Fort Peck, Billings Clinic provide telemedicine services
A $1.2 million federal grant will help the Fort Peck Tribes to set up telemedicine health services for more than 2,100 people with help from Billings Clinic and the Eastern Montana Telemedicine Network.
- The Big Power of Data in a Small City
"My ultimate vision," the mayor says, "is for us to have a city that's engaged because they are informed."
- How Can Local Governments Work More Like Silicon Valley?
As cities approach the inevitable task of replacing and updating them, James Keene has one piece of advice: Decentralize.
- GIS's Evolving Promise for Local Government
GIS has proven to be a comprehensive tool for managing the county's growth.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Some sharks alive today were born before George Washington
One enormous female was aged at least 270 when she was caught - and she may well have been 390. That would make her possible birth date in the era of Rembrandt and Galileo.
HACKING AND VIRUS ALERTS
- Drop the Jackhammer and Fix Your Bridge With This Giant Waterpik
It's an easier, faster, cheaper, and maybe more sustainable way to expand the bridge's useful life by 15 years.
- Stanford-led experiments point toward memory chips 1,000 times faster than today's
Silicon chips can store data in billionths of a second, but phase-change memory could be 1,000 times faster, while using less energy and requiring less space.
- There's a new way to make strong passwords, and it's way easier
Longer is better...
- Man says Tesla's autopilot saved his life by driving him to the hospital
A Missouri man says his life may well have been saved by his Tesla Model X, which he says got him to the hospital while he was having a pulmonary embolism.
- Denver's new building code requires garages to support electric vehicles
"What this tries to do is make sure it's easy and inexpensive for a new homeowner (to install) a new charging station."
- Federal Research Aims to Knock Down Electric Cars' Two Biggest Hurdles
Department of Energy-funded programs are looking to improve on both range and charging time for electric vehicles.
- Here is your opportunity to help bring better air service to Missoula International Airport
If you would like cheaper flights and increased flight availability year-round to major hubs, both domestically and internationally, now is your chance to invest in this initiative.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page