|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 22, 2016|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
"The state and each person shall maintain and improve a clean and healthful environment in Montana for present and future generations." The Montana Constitution, Article IX -- Happy Earth Day
“A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children.” —John James Audubon
Gov. Steve Bullock
Montana Politics & Legislature
- Governor Bullock Announces Debbie Sterling, CEO of Award-Winning Toy Company GoldieBlox, to Keynote Main Street Montana Project Event in Billings July 13 - 14, 2016 in downtown Billings
"When small businesses on Montana's Main Streets do well, our economy does well. This event will be an opportunity for business owners to access new resources to help them grow, expand, and create more good-paying jobs in towns all across the state."
Montana Technology Innovation Partnership
- Facebook Disputes Claims of Gianforte
A spokesman for the internet giant said Thursday the Bozeman Republican never spoke with Facebook officials.
- NSF SBIR/STTR Program, 5/16, Webinar
National Science Foundation (NSF) Informational Webinar Tune in to this free informational webinar to learn about the NSF SBIR/STTR Program directly from the Program Director, just in time for the current solicitation (closing June 16, 2016).
Spika Welding & Mfg Inc
- NorthWestern officials dedicate new building in Butte, Montana
"I know it's going to be a great addition not only to the company but also to the community," said Bob Rowe, chief executive officer for NorthWestern Energy.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Three Signs You Should Invest in a Dual-Stage Actuation Work Platform, Not a Scissor Lift
Spika has introduced a new work platform design that utilizes dual-stage legs and provides a much greater range of adjustability than ever before (watch the video here).
Montana Office of Tourism & Economic Development
- 2016 Downtown Great Falls Showcase Tour, 5/13, Great Falls, Montana
This year's showcase will feature presentations from developers, building owners and downtown groups, offering a mix of successful projects and opportunities for development.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Montana is the perfect destination for all kinds of road trips. - Hit the Road with Montana and Roadtrippers
"Montana Road Trips" features 10 articles, four custom road trips and 350,000 digital ad impressions on the Roadtrippers website.
Energy and Climate Change
- Missoula's Flagship program offering safe after school alternative for kids
For some parents, it's a lifesaver.
Come Home Montana
- Report ranks Montana, Wyoming as 'least green states'
Montana ranked 48th. Wyoming came in dead last, making it the least green state in the U.S.
- Solar roads coming to Sandpoint, Idaho
The city of Sandpoint will start work soon on the first public pilot project with Solar Roadways Inc., the North Idaho startup that aims to transform roads, sidewalks and parking lots into heavy-duty solar surfaces capable of generating power and melting ice.
- Cost of solar energy falls every time the sun rises
Installing solar panels on your roof is not just for tree-hugging environmentalists. The increasing ease of the process and the financial returns have made going solar practically mainstream.
- Mobile Solar Training Lab Now in Missoula, Montana - See it April 22 and 23
Please join us on Friday, April 22nd at the University of Montana UC Commons and on Saturday April 23rd at Caras Park as we demonstrate this latest addition to the Sustainable Energy Technology education platform at the University of Montana.
- 9 WIRED Stories You Should Read This Earth Day
#6 Climate Change Is Going to Be Expensive--For Everybody
- Hydrogen-Cell Bus Debuts at Columbus, Ohio, Statehouse
The only byproduct is water, which is safe to drink -- and transit authorities demonstrated this fact during its unveiling.
MEDA -Montana Economic Developers Association
- Montana Career Opportunity - Clean Energy Program Director- Montana Environmental Information Center
The Clean Energy Program Director is responsible for developing and implementing MEIC's campaigns to adopt creative and strong energy efficiency and renewable energy policies in the state
- Montana Talent Available - Chemistry Professor
PROFESSIONAL OBJECTIVE To provide quality college-level chemistry instruction using student diversity to generate inspiring learning experiences
- The Montana State Society Presents DC's 12th Annual Testy Fest, 5/14, Washington, D.C.
The ticket price includes all-you-can-eat Rocky Mountain Oysters, as well as beer, Crown Royal, and music from the Wil Gravatt Band!
- MEDA Conference in Butte, Montana - Small businesses can help Montana communities thrive, SBA officials say
And at the heart of any diversified economy, says Betsy Markey, are America's small businesses.
Montana Economic Development
- By crunching data, Missoula tech firm Upstream Research gains traction in health care industry
"The idea is to go upstream in the epidemiology of the disease to areas where you have preventable opportunities."
- Glacier Bancorp Acquiring Treasure State Bank in Missoula
"This is an exciting opportunity to expand our presence in Missoula by adding some very seasoned and knowledgeable bankers."
Alberta Business and Economic Development
- Billings Chamber: Focus on what we want to be, not just what we need
"If we focus on the what, the how is going to come," said Harvey Singh of Singh Contracting and Outward Media Group.
- Alberta Shifts Economic Development Direction, Announces Investor Tax Credit
Earlier this month, Alberta announced that it would be cancelling a job creation grant program that it had introduced in last October's budget after receiving negative feedback from the business community.
Come Home Idaho
- Western Montana's Largest Career Fair 2016 - 4/28 - Missoula, Montana
Western Montana's Largest Career Fair is brought to you by the Missoula Job Service.
- 23 Brilliant Life Lessons From Anthony Bourdain
"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride."
- What will be your biggest regret?
If only I had....
- Idaho Career Opportunities - Logistics Coordinator, Admin Assistant (P/T), NVIS Installation Technician - Aviation Specialties Unlimited
If you are a person who has the vision to imagine things beyond the expected and the ingenuity to bring them to the marketplace, then consider a future with ASU, Inc.
- How Energy States Could Better Weather the Boom-and-Bust Cycle
States can do a better job, the report authors say, of channeling oil revenues to stable trust funds that better weather the boom-and-bust cycle.
- Boise company Aviation Specialties Unlimited creates a night-vision GoPro camera
A small aviation night-vision technology company, Aviation Specialties Unlimited sells night-vision goggles to buyers such as the military and law enforcement. It outfits helicopters and planes with night-vision systems and offers a week-long flight school where pilots learn to use night vision.
- Is Verizon reinventing itself by shedding its legacy business?
"There certainly have been rumors floating around that they would get out of the wire-line business altogether,"
- Comcast to allow some TV customers to ditch set-top box
Cable giant Comcast said Wednesday it will allow some customers to watch cable TV without leasing a set-top box, responding to federal regulators' heightened efforts to open up the pay-TV set-top box market.
21st Century Education Initiative - "You Should Care..."
- Big Sky Code Academy™ Launches Comprehensive Technology Boot Camps Statewide
Big Sky Code Academy is a state-wide effort, with classes starting in the summer of 2016, to increase today's technology talent pipeline while also training the future generations of talent in the state of Montana.
- Montana, SC, NJ, Others Announce Funding for Industry-Specific Workforce Development
In Montana, Flathead Valley Community College (FVCC) received over $400,000 to encourage and prepare high school students for a career in biotechnology.
- Apparently the Cool Kids Were in High School Band After All
The band geeks are having the last laugh.
Montana Education Excellence
- See the College Acceptance Letter That's Shocking High School Seniors
The 'Unacceptable Acceptance Letter' warns incoming college students about sexual assault on campus.
- Recruiting Students Overseas to Fill Seats, Not to Meet Standards
"There are some incentives for not delivering complete clunkers, but the underlying motivation for both the university and the agent is to get warm bodies in the door," said Philip G. Altbach, the founding director of the Center for International Higher Education at Boston College.
Funding and Building your Business
- Montana State University new home of Center for Interdisciplinary Health Workforce Studies
The center's ultimate mission is to improve the performance of the national health care delivery system.
- Montana State University Peaks and Potentials youth camp open for registration
Registration is now open for Montana State University's Peaks and Potentials program, an enrichment camp designed to give high-ability/high-potential students entering grades 5-7 the opportunity to explore special topics of interest and work with experts in various subject areas.
- GFC MSU pharmacy tech program in top 10 nationwide
"Pharmacy technicians are in high demand," Christianson said. "We are so short on trained pharmacy technicians in the field."
- Using People Analytics to Hire for Emerging Job Titles
Real-time, in-depth talent analytics enables organizations to hire or promote employees based on performance that is validated through job competencies, rather than through traits.
- Gov. Steve Bullock and Director Meg O'Leary Award $65,000 Through NACS Program that provides gap financing for projects
The Native American Collateral Support (NACS) Program is a new innovative collateral support program that provides critical gap financing for the local community lender to finance projects when the borrower lacks sufficient equity or collateral to permit the lender to finance the project.
- No One Wants to Hear About Your Green Business. Here's How to Make Money Anyway
Sustainability is an important macro-trend, but it helps if your business represents other macro-trends as well.
- Transatlantic air travel is about to change in a big way
"Now that there are fewer airlines, it is easier to collude," Seaney said. "Those three follow each other like lemmings -- either off a cliff, or to wherever they're feeding."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page