|MATR Newsletter - Tue Jun 9, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
A society grows when old men plant trees, whose shade they know, they will never sit in. Greek proverb
Montana Crowdfunding Law - Jeremy Brown, Dorsey & Whitney , 6/11, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ev ... =5482
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- NorthWestern Energy Files Annual Natural Gas Supply Tracker in Montana
NorthWestern Energy has filed its annual natural gas supply cost tracker with the Montana Public Service Commission and it is projecting lower rates for customers beginning in July compared to the same period a year ago.
Great Falls Development Authority
- Montana Crowdfunding Law - Jeremy Brown, Dorsey & Whitney , 6/11, Missoula
Did you know that Montana recently passed a crowdfunding law? The new rules open up the possibility for Montana businesses to seek investments from Montana residents of up to $10,000 per investor up to a maximum of $1m per annum.
- Real Life Employment Law - Quirky Questions Answered by Dorsey & Whitney
Dorsey's L&E lawyers work closely with clients to avoid and defend against litigation, develop effective workplace policies and procedures, protect intellectual property, support corporate decisions affecting the workplace, and counsel on traditional labor law matters.
Come Home Montana
- Great Falls Development Authority Top 14 for 6/8/15
Register for the GFDA and High Plains Financial annual meetings on Monday, June 29, 11:30 AM at the Hilton Garden Inn.
Developing a more Entrepreneurial Montana
- Montana Career Opportunities - 360 Product Photographer, Web Presence Capability Manager, eCommerce Content Specialist and more... - Murdoch's
Here at Murdoch's, we welcome energetic and enthusiastic individuals with a passion for exceptional service to become part of our team.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Innovation & Entrepreneurship Marketing and Operations Manager - Blackstone LaunchPad
This individual will be responsible for developing and delivering innovation & entrepreneurship marketing communications, events and outreach activities as well as maintaining related marketing operations processes and systems, and reporting on UM's innovation and entrepreneurship pipeline.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Marketing Manager - Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
Blackfoot Telecommunications Group, a diversified telecommunications company, is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative and experienced Marketing Manager to lead and manage the Blackfoot Marketing Team in the development, implementation, and measurement of marketing strategies and activities to meet organizational objectives.
- Montana's Blackstone LaunchPad provides an entrepreneurial education
"It's a nontraditional program but it is going to become traditional."
Montana Economic Development
- PRIMEX - A New Cross-Lateral Fitness Trainer Invented in Belgrade
A study performed at MSU found that the machine creates a higher level of cardiovascular demand and muscle demand than a standard elliptical trainer. The study also found that the machine gives people a more demanding workout in a shorter amount of time.
- Innovation Means Good Jobs and Clean Air for Montana
Community leaders and elected government officials including our governor are rallying around this idea that investments in energy sources can create good jobs and clean air.
Come Home Wyoming
- Daniel Goleman: How to Make a Lasting Positive Impact
"What will your legacy be?"
- Wyoming Career Opportunity - Executive Director - The Cody Country Chamber of Commerce
Successful candidate must have an extensive understanding of the travel and tourism industry and of Chamber of Commerce operations.
Regional Economic Development
- Factors Affecting Former Residents' Returning to Rural Communities
This study reports on reasons for returning and not returning to small-town America and the impacts that return migrants make on their home communities.
- Industry-focused Collaboratives
Yes, it is just semantics, but the word "sector" and the word "cluster" have very specific meanings to economic development data analysts...while the term "collaboratives" allows us to venture into new territories.
- Regional Innovation Clusters Program - 2015 Solicitation Now Open
The SBA intends to award a total of up to three contracts for entities to head regional innovation cluster initiatives.
- Mark Warner on the Millennial workforce and the 'gig economy'
Susan Page interviews Senator Mark Warner (D-Va.) about the shifting ideals in the workforce, especially in the Millennial generation, and what that means for policymakers
- Coding Boot Camp Enrollment Soars as Students Seek Tech Jobs
Computer-related jobs are expected to grow faster than the median for all occupations through 2022, according to government statistics.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Peabody Energy to lay off 250, close Gillette, Wyoming office
Peabody says it expects the reduction will save between $40 million and $45 million annually.
Montana Education Excellence
- High-quality schools help drive Missoula's economy: It's time to invest in our schools
More than 8,800 children are enrolled in Missoula County's public schools. Passing the two school bonds during the November election will directly benefit them. Maintaining high-quality public schools is also vital to Missoula's economy, and benefits all of us.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Disparity in how Helena school bond would allocate funds fuels fears of consolidation
"I guess the real issue we have is, there's so much need, what is our first step," he said. "There's going to be another bond; there has to be,"
- Graduation Matters Montana's 2015 Summer Summit, 6/17-18, Bozeman, Montana
The summit kicks off Wednesday, June 17 with the Impact Awards, a celebration of five Graduation Matters Montana communities that are raising the bar.
- Posterity for sale: How much is a name worth at University of Montana?
To name a school or college, a donor should be prepared to fund "an endowment able to support the annual operating budget (of the school or college), excluding salaries," according to recommendations from the UM Foundation.
Funding and Building your Business
- Data Reinvents Libraries for the 21st Century - Public Input Sought On New Missoula Public Library Plan, 6/8, Missoula, Montana
Libraries are proving that they're more than mausoleums of old knowledge -- they're in a state of progressive reform, rethinking services and restructuring with data.
Energy and Climate Change
- To succeed, fail fast and learn quickly
"Every innovative idea is partially right and partially wrong, so the goal is to learn which is which and what to do about it."
- Performance conversations take preparation, follow-through
- How to Reach Your Ideal Customer on Social Media
Cut through the clutter by letting each platform do what it does best.
- Mastering the Fine Art of Managing People
Managing human beings is one of the toughest jobs you'll ever face, especially as your team grows. We spoke with six founders about what works (and what doesn't).
- Entrepreneurs Who Improve Society Make More Profit
A three-phase process to develop the necessary business culture of energy, resilience, and openness:
- Johnson & Johnson used data to find misguided hiring strategy
The data, which the analytics team shared with managers internally, "dispelled a myth in our organization."
- 7 Entrepreneur Mistakes To Avoid In Early Meetings
Advance homework and preparation is key to every good first impression.
Making the Most of the American Prairie
- Minnesota energy coop offers renewable power to electric-car owners
Many electric-car owners start to think more seriously about the source of their electricity when they plug their cars in to recharge.
- Elon Musk says utilities shouldn't fear his battery systems
Tesla CEO Elon Musk told electric utility owners they shouldn't fear that his battery systems will put them out of business -- instead, they should buy them.
- New England to Pilot Utility-Scale Electricity Storage System
The storage system uses hundreds of special-purpose batteries and is designed to quickly deliver 500 kilowatts of electricity for up to six hours to the state's electric grid.
Connectivity & Communications
- American Prairie Reserve touts new science center
Damien Austin, a reserve supervisor at the American Prairie Reserve in northeastern Montana, talks about the newly-opened Enrico Education and Science Center, which will provide educational space for classes and research opportunities for scientists.
- Former Billings man helps lead Montana's largest private plains reserve
"It's so amazing to be a part of this, getting in at the beginning of something that's going to last for generations and help forge what it's going to look like in the future."
- Wi-Fi That Charges Your Gadgets Is Closer Than You Think
That's the promise of new research from a team at the University of Washington, which has developed what it's calling a "power over Wi-Fi" system that can recharge batteries through the air, from up to 28 feet away.
Cool Stuff That's Coming
- Fundraising underway in Missoula to help victims of brain trauma
In an effort to raise awareness of the realities of traumatic brain injuries, the Brain Injury Alliance of Montana with support from Missoula's Westside Lanes hosted a fundraiser.
- Unparalleled support: Archie Bray Foundation for the Ceramic Arts receives its most generous grant ever
The funding is particularly welcome in a time of shrinking foundation support for arts organizations, which has been acutely felt in Montana in recent months.
- Apple and Google set their sights on their next battleground: your home
The first smart home device you buy may determine the brand of your next refrigerator, security system or even your car.
- 3D-Printed Osteoid Cast Could Speed Up Bone Healing by Nearly 40%
We've seen 3D-printed lamps, chairs, houses and even self-replicating 3D printers, but Deniz Karahasin's mindbending Osteoid cast looks like something from a sci-fi movie.
- Apple Is Going to Kill the Home Screen
The home screen has always been at the center of the iPhone experience. At WWDC, Apple signaled that we're moving on.
- Needle Injects Healing Electronics into the Brain
The device taking this fantastic electronic voyage may soon be able to zap tumors, repair damaged spinal cords or even connect parts of the brain like an artificial synapse.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page