|MATR Newsletter - Fri May 22, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
If life gives you lemons, throw them away and get some bacon.
2015 W2: Women To Women Conference, 5/28, Bozeman, Montana http://www.matr.net/ev ... =5338 --- Montana Crowdfunding Law - Jeremy Brown, Dorsey & Whitney , 6/2 And 6/11, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html ---
2014 Montana Politics & 2015 Legislature
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Getting schooled - Why the Montana school choice bill asks the wrong question
Probably, this new law will change our school system not at all.
- Crowdfunding: A New Way for Montana Companies to Raise Money
A new exemption passed in the Montana 2015 legislative session will allow Montana companies to use crowdfunding to offer and sell securities in Montana beginning July 1, 2015.
- Montana Crowdfunding Law - Jeremy Brown, Dorsey & Whitney , 6/2 And 6/11, Missoula
The new rules open up the possibility for Montana businesses to seek investments from Montana residents of up to $10,000 per investor up to a maximum of $1m per annum.
- Montana Crowdfunding Law - Jeremy Brown, Dorsey & Whitney , 6/11, Missoula
Did you know that Montana recently passed a crowdfunding law? The new rules open up the possibility for Montana businesses to seek investments from Montana residents of up to $10,000 per investor up to a maximum of $1m per annum.
- From Student To Startup: How I Created My Own Job With SBIR Funding, 05/29, Bozeman
Come hear Riddle tell the story of how he and Nelson successfully transitioned from MSU grad students to co-founders of a small engineering firm with the assistance of $900,000 in grants from the SBIR program.
Come Home Montana
- David Rose: The Internet Of Things Sponsored By TicketRiver, 6/3, Bozeman, Montana
David Rose is an award-winning entrepreneur, author, and instructor at the MIT Media Lab.
Hellgate Venture Network
- Montana Career Opportunity - Cardiologist - Billings Clinic
Board-certified in cardiology or eligible for board certification within one year. Licensed in the state of Montana or presently eligible for licensure.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Director of Business Affairs/Clerk of the Board and more... - Butte School District
Ensures that the District derives maximum educational dividends from the prudent expenditure of every school dollar
- Montana Career Opportunities - Quality Assurance Engineer, Salesforce Developer / Architect, Product Marketing Manager - SwagIQ, Marketing Manager and more... - PrintingForLess
At PFL, we want our employees to make a good living and make living good.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Software Developer - Memory Science
Key member of the team working on development, implementation and oversight of projects, both internal and with partners.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Facilities Assistant, Maintenance Specialist, Development Manager, Visitation Assistant - American Prairie Reserve
We believe that Montanans, the American public and people everywhere value access to open spaces where plants and animals thrive in their natural environment.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Grant and Sponsorship Manager, Communications Manager - Central Asia Institute
Central Asia Institute empowers communities of Central Asia through literacy and education, especially for girls, promotes peace through education, and conveys the importance of these activities globally.
- West Paw Design won the Montana Employer of Choice Award this year for a business with over 25 employees and it's hiring now.
"You know it's our employees that make the culture for this company. We care about each other, we care about the planet, we care about the community. We allow our employees to go out and work in the community with volunteer paid time off," Human Resources Manager Jodi Hill said.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Central Office & Network Translation Engineer, Data Network Engineer, IT Tech 2 and more...- Blackfoot Telecommunications Group
A Great Company. Great People. A Great Career.
- Montana Career Opportunities - Consultant, Specialist, Associate & Intern positions - Elixiter
Elixiter is a rapidly expanding company, thriving within the ever changing competitive landscape of marketing automation.
- Hellgate Venture Network, 5/28, Missoula, Montana
Our next meeting will be Thursday May 28. We're finalizing our next rock-star speaker and will update this post (and Facebook) when they're confirmed.
Montana Economic Development
- Enough About Millennials; When Success Requires Re-branding; Knowing vs. Caring About Your Brand -- The Mercury Messenger
Is it Possible For a Business to Outgrow its Brand?
- Montana's Stockman Bank recognized among top performing banks
Stockman Bank specializes in commercial, development, real estate and ag lending. Established in 1953, Stockman Bank is Montana owned and operated and has 34 banking locations across the state.
- Red Ants Pants founder attends White House biz summit
"This has been an honor and a terrific platform to emphasize Montana's unique opportunities at the national level," Calhoun said.
- What is Vibrant Futures?
Explore the Vibrant Futures website to hear what North Central Montanans are saying about sustainable development and find out how you can get involved in planning for the future of the region.
- Scientists uncover big clue as to why men exist
Scientists have long wondered why men exist. Sex between males and females is simply not nearly as efficient as asexual reproduction.
- Tech Transition Threatens Rural Consumers
The conversion to new digital communications systems creates special challenges for rural communities to stay safe and connected.
- Why Skills Matter More than Ever in Government Employees in Our Data-Driven Economy
To improve public services with data-driven technology, governments need to work harder than ever to recruit, hire and retain highly skilled data engineers and managers.
- The Personal Side of Public Leadership
To be effective, government leaders need to nurture some key traits.
- The Treasure Valley Angel Fund and the Capitol City Angel Fund Invest in Boise-based User First Software
User First's "LeanLaw" offering integrates the perfect blend of software and concierge technology services to empower attorneys to achieve productive, low overhead law practices.
- Treasure Valley Angel Fund Fully Invested in Idaho Companies
The Fund will now focus its efforts on providing support and mentoring to its 14 portfolio companies as they grow and work towards exits.
Regional Economic Development
- President Obama just unveiled a big new plan to save the honeybees
On Tuesday, the White House released its first-ever national strategy to improve the health of honeybees and other pollinators.
- Contract workers struggle as Silicon Valley on-demand companies soar
While on-demand companies offer large-scale employment opportunities that defy the traditional 40-hour workweek, bringing more flexibility and autonomy to the job market, they often put otherwise educated professionals in jobs that require few skills and offer little upward mobility.
- USDA to Give Priority Funding for Regional Economic Development Projects
The new Regional Development Priority (RDP) policy will make it easier for rural communities to access resources to invest in long-term community development efforts by giving priority to applications for Rural Development programs that include regional partnerships and strategies.
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Unequal Schools in France Prompt Strike, Soul-Searching
France is trying to shake up a top-down system of teaching, end an elite bilingual program and give schools more say in how students spend their time, saying entrenched inequality in education threatens the country's future.
Montana Education Excellence
- Missoula County Public Schools bond supporters launch committee to reach out to voters to support important funding needs
These bonds would affect a total of 17 schools. Missoula passed its last significant school facility bond in 1952.
- Why We Need to Invest in Missoula's Schools - It's Your Future!
Missoula passed its last comprehensive school facilities bond in 1952.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Montanan Spring 2015 Featuring J.K. Simmons - The Magazine of the University of Montana
"Call your mom. Call your dad," he told the audience. "If you're lucky enough to have a parent or two alive on this planet, call them. Don't text. Don't e-mail. Call them on the phone. Tell them you love them, and thank them, and listen to them for as long as they want to talk to you." J.K. Simmons Academy Award acceptance speech
- MSU's ADVANCE Project TRACS wins national award for promoting equitable workplace practices
Montana State University's ADVANCE Project TRACS program works to broaden the participation of women faculty in STEM and underrepresented areas of social and behavioral science on the university's campus
- 'In for the long haul': Campaign against Helena school bond has alternative in mind
The citizens involved in a campaign against the Helena school district's June facility bond election say they're not opposed to facility work; they're against this specific bond.
- Helena school district facility guidelines are published online, superintendent says
Available on the district's bond information webpage, each online document breaks down how much space should be dedicated to classrooms, library/technology, offices, gym/cafeteria and other education space depending on the school's intended student population.
- University of Montana shares report on traumatic brain injuries with NFL, GE
UM was one of 16 out of 450 selected. Following UM's report the NFL and GE will grant another $500,000 to six of the 16 programs for further research and testing.
Energy and Climate Change
- Tour Montana calls on community to get involved
Organizers think building enthusiasm in the community will be a good way to get the first-time event off the ground.
- How Well Can a City Predict Its Future 20 Years Out?
In 1994, Seattle won praise from urbanist thinkers nationwide with its 20-year plan for population and economic growth.
Connectivity & Communications
- Energy Smackdown launched for Bozeman residents
The Bozeman Energy Smackdown is a year-long energy conservation challenge designed to help residents easily understand and track their energy usage.
- Intel catches the wind with rooftop micro-turbine array
Intel is turning its rooftop into a mini-wind farm, adding an array of 58 micro-turbines that will capture enough wind power to supply the needs of its Santa Clara conference center.
- China to spend US$193 billion on boosting internet speeds in push for service-led economy
...optical broadband speeds offering up to 100Mbps will be available this year to 80 per cent of urban families
- State of Montana New eProcurement System - Coming Soon
This new system will provide the State with efficient procurement and contract management tools that include vendor management services.
The Creative and Cultural Economy
- Thrive vying for online votes for chance at $25,000
A Bozeman nonprofit is hoping that the community will use social media to help it win a $25,000 grant. Thrive, a local organization dedicated to helping area children and families, is one of 200 organizations nationwide vying for grants through the State Farm Neighborhood Assist program. Nearly 4,000 organizations across the country submitted applications to get a spot in the competition, which will give out $25,000 grants to 40 winners.
- How to build the universe from Lego, over a pint of beer - "Pint of Science" festival - Why not have one in your community?
It's all part of the May 18-20 "Pint of Science" festival, a fast-growing event that gives scientists a platform in dozens of drinking establishments across nine countries to explain their research to the public.
- Self-driving cars could cut vehicle ownership in half
...vehicle ownership rates may fall by almost half as households move to having just one car that services the needs of each family member.
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page