|MATR Newsletter - Fri Apr 10, 2015|
This MATR newsletter sponsored by:
Add an event...
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page
“I thought again what an achievement a book is, a magic box simultaneously holding the presence of the author and the wonders of the world.” ― Ivan Doig, Sweet Thunder (1939-2015 RIP)
City Club Missoula Presents: Special Olympics Summer Games Come To Missoula, 4/13, Missoula http://www.matr.net/ar ... .html
2014 Montana Politics & 2015 Legislature
Sustainable Business Council
- Montana land grab
How did transfer of public lands make it into the Montana Republican Party platform?
- Legislature unravels Montana's conservation legacy
It's time for the games to stop. We urge our elected officials to hear the voices of the sporting community and restore the authority for FWP to spend the funds we all support.
The Frontier Medicine Better Health Partnership
- Missoula Lags Nation & State in Recycling
"The Guide provides evidence of hundreds of local and national businesses, events, individuals, and cities that are dramatically reducing wastes and costs and earning revenues from recycling streams."
- Los Angeles Unveils Dashboard to Measure Sustainability Efforts
Many cities have a sustainability plan, but few have a dashboard to tally progress and keep tabs.
Visit Montana - Montana Dept. of Tourism
- Hacking Rural Medicine & Ignite Rural Medicine Event Overview Held March 20-22, 2015, at the University of Montana, Missoula, MT
The weekend Hackathon was based primarily on the MI T Hacking Medicine model, which includes a two-day facilitated process with opportu nities for networking, idea pitching, team formation, solution creation, presentation practice , final presentations, and judging.
- Vote Now - What's Your Favorite Montana Video
The Montana Office of Tourism would like to show the world everything amazing about our great state.
- What makes Montana great? Online video contest wants your vote
Audiences worldwide can sign up for free to watch and vote for their favorite films. The audience is allowed to vote for all of their favorite films once a day.
Come Home Montana
- Hiring C-Suite Executives by Algorithm
When you pull all the data together, you start to see the patterns. It's fascinating to know what doesn't change, and what does change across regions and levels.
- JPMorgan Algorithm Knows You're a Rogue Employee Before You Do
JPMorgan's surveillance program, which is being tested in the trading business and will spread throughout the global investment-banking and asset-management divisions by 2016, offers a glimpse into Wall Street's future.
- Become Customer Obsessed Or Fail
To thrive in the age of the customer, CMOs must partner with CIOs to advance the BT agenda, creating the technologies, systems and processes that increase agility, facilitate innovation and improve customer experience.
- Montana Career Opportunity - Data Network Engineer - Blackfoot Telecommunications
We're proud to be able to offer a competitive and family-friendly benefit package.
MSU Leadership Institute & UM Global Leadership Initiative
- Montana Tobacco Retailer Mapper to be Featured During National Public Health Week
The web mapping app allows users to view and query a wide range of data related to Tobacco Retailers in Montana including where the tobacco retailers are located n every Montana community, their proximity to schools, their compliance history in selling tobacco products to minors, and how much of your community is a "tobacco swamp".
- Building Northwest Montana
Today, these projects - the Going-to-the-Sun Road, Hungry Horse Dam and the Great Northern Railway - stand as sentinels to a time when people tackled massive undertakings and accomplished amazing things.
TEDx Events in Montana
- Can You Learn to Lead?
Is leadership an emergent quality, both situational and context-specific? Or is it something you can actually teach? That is, can you be a leader without ever leading something?
- Today's TED Talk Eduardo Sáenz de Cabezón: Math is forever
A question that's wracked the brains of bored students the world over: What is math for?
Next Generation Broadband in Montana
- What makes a great leader? How to Be Emotionally Intelligent
Qualities associated with such "emotional intelligence" distinguish the best leaders in the world
City Club Missoula
- Google Who? Oregon Cities Want Their Own Fiber Networks
Google Fiber is fast, but a handful of Portland suburbs want to move faster.
- City Club Missoula Presents: Special Olympics Summer Games Come To Missoula, 4/13, Missoula
The Special Olympics of Montana Summer Games are coming to Missoula and The University of Montana campus May 19-22, 2015. At City Club Missoula's April forum, hear from CEO Bob Norbie about what this means to our community and to the athletes who will participate.
- In Dallas, the IRS says it can't chase tax cheats who owe less than $1 million
The IRS says that $2 billion will go uncollected this year because of cuts to revenue employees who go after tax cheats.
- City of Helena's water rights could be at risk with latest court ruling
Based on a water master's determination of flow rates used previously by the city, Helena could see its rate reduced by slightly more than half.
Incubators and R&D
- Boise Airport head: No Atlanta flight this year; maybe next year
The Boise Airport has until next fall to take advantage of a $700,000 federal grant for a Delta Airlines nonstop flight between Boise and Atlanta, Director Rebecca Hupp said Wednesday.
North Dakota Business and Economic Development
- University of Montana Study Finds Fast Food Just As Effective For Recovery as Sports Supplements
"Our results show that eating fast food ‒ in the right amounts ‒ can provide the same potential for muscle glycogen as sports nutrition products that usually cost more."
- Oil-rich North Dakota county OKs 200-acre Williston Crossing development for $500 mln shopping hub
The nearest mall is 125 miles away, and Amazon.com Inc's Prime free-shipping service is wildly popular in the area which has few stores.
- Banks Are Betting Big on a Startup That Bypasses Banks
Forget about banks. Online peer-to-peer lending platforms have surged in popularity by connecting people who want to borrow directly with people who want to lend. And now banks want in on the action.
- Calling Out the High-Tech Hypocrites
In reality the valley elite is increasingly nothing more than the latest iteration of oligopolistic crony capitalism.
- Montana SHRM State Council Receives Prestigious SHRM Award for Advancing the HR Profession
"I am extremely proud of our Montana SHRM State Council for our 2014 achievements and am thrilled that we have been awarded the EXCEL Gold Award" noted Elizabeth Rissler Pratt, 2014 Montana SHRM State Council President
Missoula Schools Excellence
- Sex Education in Europe Turns to Urging More Births
Denmark, like a number of European countries, is growing increasingly anxious about low birthrates.
Montana Education Excellence
- Loyola Scared Heart Student Keegan Nicholson Recognized Nationally for Refurbishing Laptops in Missoula, Montana
"A lot of students can't afford laptops in public schools and at UM and I started to refurbish these and realized it was a need more than I realized," Nicholson said. He wants to expand his program nationwide.
Montana Education/Business Partnerships
- Missoula, Kalispell and Bozeman, Montana teachers are using the website Donors Choose to get more donated supplies into their classroom.
She believes that this will become a highly used website in the future.
- Montana STEM Mentors Initiative Signs Up 100th Mentor - It's Your Time to Be #101
"Montanans recognize that the greatest thing we can give to the next generation is our time and experience," McLean said.
- MSU students explore the world through research
"This is probably one of the most valuable experiences of my college career."
- Governor Bullock talks entrepreneurship with University of Montana students at Blackstone Launchpad
Here's how it works -- a student comes up with an idea, submits it to the network, and gets real-world advice from men and women who've been there.
Funding and Building your Business
- 2015 Clark Fork River Cleanup, 4/18, Missoula, Montana
Please join us on Saturday, April 18 to take care of the river we love.
- Missoula police remind dog owners of city leash ordinance
The ordinance also prohibits tying a dog to a light pole, parking meter, bicycle rack, tree, or other objects on public property.
- TWELVE New grant announcements
Energy and Climate Change
- Why baby boomers & Millennials are creating a leadership vacuum
There's a leadership vacuuming looming over American companies and most of them aren't prepared.
- Platform helps startups offer retirement plans
Honest Dollar helps startups create retirement plans for employees by reducing many of the associated fees and hurdles.
- CIOs Learn to Work With CDOs to Stay Relevant
The CDO is helping a company escape from inertia.
- Welcome to the Montana Business Toolkit!
The Business Toolkit provides a variety of resources to help you easily complete business actions with the Secretary of State's Office.
Connectivity & Communications
- Solar FREAKIN' Roadways!
Solar panels that you can drive, park and walk on. They melt snow & cut greenhouse gases by 75% ?!!!
- Stanford develops aluminum battery that takes 1 minute to charge
Aluminum batteries are safer than conventional lithium-ion batteries used in millions of laptops and cell phones today
- Hello Facebook! WhatsApp voice calling a threat to telecoms
It is making telecom carriers very nervous. Voice minutes on mobile, especially in North America and Western Europe, are already declining.
- Can phone companies do more to block robocalls?
Consumer groups say that the phone companies are dragging their feet for no good reason and that, once given the green light from the FCC, could block most robocalls if they wanted.
- Montana launches website to help you find notaries
The Montana Notary Search lets users search notaries by city or by name. The search lists notaries whose services are available during working hours or by appointment.
- The Bozeman Area Community Foundation's Give Big Gallatin Valley Day, 5/5
This year, American Prairie Reserve is participating in the May 5th Give Big Gallatin Valley Day, a 24-hour online giving event sponsored by the Bozeman Area Community Foundation.
- How the Koch brothers and the super-rich are buying their way out of criticism
It's bad enough big money is buying off politicians. It's also buying off nonprofits that used to be sources of investigation, information, and social change, from criticizing big money.
- Montana Public Radio At A Crossroads: We need your help.
After a long arc of steady financial growth, MTPR has moved into deficit and we need your help.
- Grilled cheese lovers have more sex, are more charitable
Do you has grilled cheese?
- Is Travel Behavior Changing? What the New Data Says
Going forward, roadway travel demand growth is unlikely to resume at the same pace it had in the latter half of the 20th century.
- Tesla boosts range, power and price of 4 wheel drive Model S
Tesla, which is based in Palo Alto, California, needed all-wheel-drive to appeal to luxury buyers
- Bozeman Yellowstone Int'l Airport remains busiest in Montana
"Despite the mild winter we've had, our ski resorts have faired better than most in the Western states."
To subscribe or unsubscribe from the free weekly MATR newsletter, please visit our list info page